Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Don't think it's panic stations yet 21:47 - Oct 20 with 2946 viewstractordownsouth

If you offered us 5 wins and a draw from the first 7 back in early September I think we'd have all snapped that up. I'm not denying that we were well beaten tonight and the individual errors were to blame, but there's definitely been an overreaction on here. Playing a more attractive style of football makes us more threatening going forward but it was also always going to lead to a few more howlers at the back - I can think of countless times that Bournemouth did that both in the Championship and the PL during their peak under Eddie Howe.

One silver lining of tonight is that it should give Lambert reason to bring back Woolfenden. Nsiala has been solid so far but had a shocker tonight and we need a ball playing centre half to execute this particular game plan, especially against sides who are effective at pressing the ball. Likewise, I didn't think Judge had an awful game today but had he taken his chance at 1-0 we'd likely be talking about another victory, and it makes sense to play Lankester or Sears on the wing, once Hawkins is back.

We just have to hope now that Lambert doesn't tinker with the system - it's the personnel that is the issue. And even then, I think some of the fringe players who had a poor night tonight (Nsiala, Kenlock) have benefitted from having a defined role, rather than being asked to play in a different formation every week. It's a real test for the management to ensure they don't panic and rip up the entire blueprint on the back of one result - Lincoln is a big game.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 21:53 - Oct 20 with 2479 viewsHerbivore

We've had a very easy start though, tonight was our first real test and we got humped. When it became clear Lambert was staying the fixture list worried some of us as our start to the season always gave us a chance of a good start despite Lambert. We couldn't have asked for a much kidner opening. I do think even before tonight we've flattered to deceive at times. Wigan was fairly average. Brizzle was poor until the last 20 minutes. Rochdale we were fairly average first half, Accrington the first half was properly poor, MK Dons we were poor. Blackpool was our best all round performance and probably the closest we've come to putting it together for 90 minutes. Lambert has been clueless for 2 years and had to be told how to do his job by Marcus Evans. It's hard to hold on to too much hope.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2020 21:58]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 21:56 - Oct 20 with 2483 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I watched the first 20 minutes and have just watched their goals.

Problems to me appear to be Dozzell and Nsiala had very poor games. The concern is yet again we fail to beat one of the better sides in the division and we start to fear it might be like last season.

Yes, we have Woolfenden to come in for Nsiala but we need to get a result against Lincoln or we suddenly already on the slide.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 21:59 - Oct 20 with 2446 viewsJ2BLUE

Don't bother mate.

TWTD needs to have its collective hissy fit on nights like this.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 22:03 - Oct 20 with 2417 viewsHerbivore

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 21:59 - Oct 20 by J2BLUE

Don't bother mate.

TWTD needs to have its collective hissy fit on nights like this.

Some of us remember being better than losing 4-1 at Doncaster in the third division. TWTD.

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 22:03 - Oct 20 with 2417 viewsJ2BLUE

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 22:03 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

Some of us remember being better than losing 4-1 at Doncaster in the third division. TWTD.

Some of us are capable of forming an opinion on more than one game.

Truly impaired.

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 22:07 - Oct 20 with 2398 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 22:03 - Oct 20 by J2BLUE

True but it was the first of the better sides in the division and a test that we failed. I can understand the concern. Not sufficient there is any pressure on Lambert but we need to get back to winning quickly.

Just a quick comment about the collective meltdown, I expected to come on here and see a massive thread from BlueFish saying "I told you so". He seems to have been very restrained unless I simply haven't looked far enough down to see it.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 22:07 - Oct 20 with 2386 viewsHerbivore

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 22:03 - Oct 20 by J2BLUE

Indeed. Two years of Lambert is at least 6 months too many, possibly as much as 10 months too long if we're honest.

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 22:17 - Oct 20 with 2338 viewsJ2BLUE

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 22:07 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

Indeed. Two years of Lambert is at least 6 months too many, possibly as much as 10 months too long if we're honest.

He should have gone last season, no question, but it's a new season and we need to look past one result. It may well continue but lets wait and see.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 23:08 - Oct 20 with 2258 viewsEl_Fenix

It's too soon to panic, but not too soon to be nervous. I have two concerns:

1. Last season we beat lower half teams, but did poorly against well-organized teams that out-worked and/or out-muscled us. As yet, there is little evidence that this pattern has changed.

2. We have a lightweight team that tends to struggle in the cold and wet conditions that are encountered between November and March.

Both issues played a role in the home loss to Rotherham last season.

We could end up between 8th and 10th place, unless: Hawkins stays fit, Bennetts lives up to his potential, KVY comes back from his injuries, and Huws continues to progress towards his pre-injury form.

I will be delighted to be proven pessimistic.

ITFC shall rise like a phoenix from the ashes of its long decline!

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 23:54 - Oct 20 with 2185 viewsSamWhiteUK

Agreed there is a bit of an overreaction, and agree about the mistakes being more likely with this new style of play. There aren't any teams that play the ball out of the back and don't make mistakes, at any level. We just happened to make a load in one game.
Don't think it's panic stations yet on 08:09 - Oct 21 with 2038 viewsKeaneish

Feels a bit like history repeating itself already though. The same teams making similar starts as they did last season are now clustered at the top of the league. What concerns me most is that after defeat last night, we’re upholding that pattern of being unable to beat anyone in the top ten!

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 08:16 - Oct 21 with 2017 viewsRadlett_blue

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 23:54 - Oct 20 by SamWhiteUK

Agreed there is a bit of an overreaction, and agree about the mistakes being more likely with this new style of play. There aren't any teams that play the ball out of the back and don't make mistakes, at any level. We just happened to make a load in one game.

A few posts before yesterday's game commented on how we'd only conceded twice in 6 games, how well Wilson & Nsiala had done & how we should stick with the same back 5. Well, last night was a defensive disaster but I doubt we need wholesale changes. Probably time to bring Woolf back in but also a case for letting the same defence go again to see if last night was just a catalogue of individual errors.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 08:16 - Oct 21 with 2017 viewstractorboy1978

Saturday is now huge. We need a reaction quickly. You could visibly see the confidence drain out of them last night. We are going to have set-backs within games and you've got to stand up and react positively to them. We have this propensity to hit self-destruct and one error leads to two or three more.
Don't think it's panic stations yet on 08:19 - Oct 21 with 2006 viewsGhostOfBenters

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 21:53 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

We've had a very easy start though, tonight was our first real test and we got humped. When it became clear Lambert was staying the fixture list worried some of us as our start to the season always gave us a chance of a good start despite Lambert. We couldn't have asked for a much kidner opening. I do think even before tonight we've flattered to deceive at times. Wigan was fairly average. Brizzle was poor until the last 20 minutes. Rochdale we were fairly average first half, Accrington the first half was properly poor, MK Dons we were poor. Blackpool was our best all round performance and probably the closest we've come to putting it together for 90 minutes. Lambert has been clueless for 2 years and had to be told how to do his job by Marcus Evans. It's hard to hold on to too much hope.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2020 21:58]

"We've had a very easy start though, tonight was our first real test"

You said Blackpool was a real test and you predicted we'd lose 2-0.
Don't think it's panic stations yet on 08:37 - Oct 21 with 1974 viewsSteve_M

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 08:09 - Oct 21 by Keaneish

Feels a bit like history repeating itself already though. The same teams making similar starts as they did last season are now clustered at the top of the league. What concerns me most is that after defeat last night, we’re upholding that pattern of being unable to beat anyone in the top ten!

Accrington are currently seventh.

Even Bristol Rovers are 11th now so I'm not sure if we're allowed to count those wins or not.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 08:47 - Oct 21 with 1948 viewsGhostOfBenters

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 08:37 - Oct 21 by Steve_M

Accrington are currently seventh.

Even Bristol Rovers are 11th now so I'm not sure if we're allowed to count those wins or not.

I have observed that you are one of the best posters on here Steve_M.
Don't think it's panic stations yet on 08:50 - Oct 21 with 1936 viewsHerbivore

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 08:19 - Oct 21 by GhostOfBenters

"We've had a very easy start though, tonight was our first real test"

You said Blackpool was a real test and you predicted we'd lose 2-0.

This stalking me is frankly rather odd. You're back soon this time, Dollers.

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 08:50 - Oct 21 with 1938 viewsMonkeyAlan

Yes, but the moment we come up against the first decent side we have played we crumble. Same old same old.
Don't think it's panic stations yet on 08:51 - Oct 21 with 1931 viewsGhostOfBenters

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 08:50 - Oct 21 by Herbivore

This stalking me is frankly rather odd. You're back soon this time, Dollers.

Once again using the Dollars label to avoid the question.
Don't think it's panic stations yet on 08:52 - Oct 21 with 1916 viewsHerbivore

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 08:51 - Oct 21 by GhostOfBenters

Once again using the Dollars label to avoid the question.

You didn't pose a question. You're not very good at this.

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 08:59 - Oct 21 with 1902 viewsitfcjoe

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 08:16 - Oct 21 by Radlett_blue

A few posts before yesterday's game commented on how we'd only conceded twice in 6 games, how well Wilson & Nsiala had done & how we should stick with the same back 5. Well, last night was a defensive disaster but I doubt we need wholesale changes. Probably time to bring Woolf back in but also a case for letting the same defence go again to see if last night was just a catalogue of individual errors.

It's an incredibly difficult situation for Lambert to judge/manage now....

Play well, you keep your shirt - had conceded 2 goals in 6 games as a defence

One poor game with Nsiala and Holy particularly poor at what we want to do, and TN just generally poor - do you deserve to lose place after one bad game.

But these issues were there previously, we just hadn't been punished for mistakes made, often because , Toto especially, we were getting away with things - even last night that poor kick from Holy was saved by Toto.

But - we need to get Woolfie back into the team - he's a key asset to the future of the football club, and has earned right to start after performances last season, and before he was injured this season.

It's a very difficult decision to balance out - but Woolfie coming back inot the team is a matter of when not if, and I think Cornell taking over between the sticks is as well - he's just much more comfortable with the ball and that is what we need. I thought Bursik in goal for Donny last night gave a bit of an understated masterclass with regards to comfort on the ball and really highlighted what we were missing

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 09:03 - Oct 21 with 1883 viewsGhostOfBenters

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 08:52 - Oct 21 by Herbivore

You didn't pose a question. You're not very good at this.

I thought it was implied. Maybe you aren't as bright as I thought and I need to spell it out for you?
Don't think it's panic stations yet on 09:07 - Oct 21 with 1868 viewsHerbivore

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 09:03 - Oct 21 by GhostOfBenters

I thought it was implied. Maybe you aren't as bright as I thought and I need to spell it out for you?

Oh dear. Have a good day, Chutney/Dollers.

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 09:08 - Oct 21 with 1866 viewsGhostOfBenters

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 09:07 - Oct 21 by Herbivore

Oh dear. Have a good day, Chutney/Dollers.

Run away from the point! So obvious!
Don't think it's panic stations yet on 10:33 - Oct 21 with 1749 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Don't think it's panic stations yet on 08:59 - Oct 21 by itfcjoe

It's an incredibly difficult situation for Lambert to judge/manage now....

Play well, you keep your shirt - had conceded 2 goals in 6 games as a defence

One poor game with Nsiala and Holy particularly poor at what we want to do, and TN just generally poor - do you deserve to lose place after one bad game.

But these issues were there previously, we just hadn't been punished for mistakes made, often because , Toto especially, we were getting away with things - even last night that poor kick from Holy was saved by Toto.

But - we need to get Woolfie back into the team - he's a key asset to the future of the football club, and has earned right to start after performances last season, and before he was injured this season.

It's a very difficult decision to balance out - but Woolfie coming back inot the team is a matter of when not if, and I think Cornell taking over between the sticks is as well - he's just much more comfortable with the ball and that is what we need. I thought Bursik in goal for Donny last night gave a bit of an understated masterclass with regards to comfort on the ball and really highlighted what we were missing

A great post as always, Joe.

I like Holy a lot but it is clear he is not overly comfortable with how we are now trying to play, and presumably why we brought Norris in last season, and now Cornell.

I think for me, you drop Wilson and bring in Woolfenden, and we always need a bit more grit in midfield. Doz has been good so far this season but carried him the last few games.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024