Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Illusions of grandeur? 17:41 - Oct 24 with 1338 viewsBigeze

Is it time to forget the past and acknowledge our beloved club isn’t as it was when growing up?

The sooner we accept we are a average L1 team, with no steel, flair, who cannot change/influence (for the better) a game, it may just make it better for us all.

I fear all we can hope for is a brief flirtation with the championship maybe once or twice in the next decade* and only dream of ever of the heady heights of playoff to the promise land ever again 🥴

*if the club last that long with shocking parity of league money and Covid ransacking clubs
Illusions of grandeur? on 17:42 - Oct 24 with 1325 viewsBlueBadger

I don't think that 'we can do better than mid table in the third division' is a massively entitled view to take of ITFC.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Illusions of grandeur? on 17:43 - Oct 24 with 1315 viewsPendejo

Err, I accepted that 10 years ago , tho not the L1 bit.

There is no grandeur at this level unless you win every game.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Illusions of grandeur? on 17:45 - Oct 24 with 1295 viewsjeera

You mean delusions.

However, either way there's nothing wrong with drawing on inspiration from our history and having aspirations based on that.

It feels wrong where are for good reason.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Illusions of grandeur? on 17:47 - Oct 24 with 1273 viewsTrequartista

The size of our fanbase far exceeds the likes of Lincoln and Doncaster, as does our current wage bill, so no, mid-table Division Three is not acceptable.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Illusions of grandeur? on 18:09 - Oct 24 with 1205 viewsCoco

The sooner we accept mediocrity the better??

Jeeeeez is that what it’s all about now?

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Illusions of grandeur? on 18:14 - Oct 24 with 1169 viewsWD19

Either that, or we just have a poo manager. You decide.
Illusions of grandeur? on 18:20 - Oct 24 with 1134 viewsBloomBlue

You are technically correct with your subject too many fans think because we won the FA & UEFA cup we have a right to go to clubs like Lincoln and win by default. History means nothing.

However I don't agree we should accept we're an average L1 team as we should have the ambition to get out of this league. The is a difference between ambition and illusions of grandeur
Illusions of grandeur? on 18:23 - Oct 24 with 1115 viewsMattinLondon

On a forum where s**t posts are common this one is the floater which you can’t get rid off.
Login to get fewer ads

Illusions of grandeur? on 18:36 - Oct 24 with 1069 viewsistanblue

I'll never give up on believing that ITFC can play at the top level again, otherwise what's the point?

Whilst your analysis is broadly correct, the one colossal detail you forget is Marcus Evans and the way he has systematically let standards slip at the club season after season. Ultimately the reason we are midtable League One is because a) our owner doesn't know how to run a football club and b) our owner has no serious ambition for the club. It amazes me and depresses me at the same time how certain elements of our fanbase still hold Evans in such high regard as being the man that ''saved us'' and ''where we be without him'' etc.
Illusions of grandeur? on 07:48 - Oct 25 with 882 viewssolomon

Christ
Illusions of grandeur? on 09:55 - Oct 25 with 772 viewsCornishMariner

Take away the three trophies and we still have, by far, one of the biggest fan bases in the league with lots of season ticket sales and a large squad. Yes we might struggle in the championship but we should not accept being an "average" league one team. My suspicion is that we will eventually stumble across a manager that can take us back up, more by luck than judgement.

Poll: Between now and the new season will you mostly be ....

Illusions of grandeur? on 10:03 - Oct 25 with 758 viewspointofblue

Illusions of grandeur? on 09:55 - Oct 25 by CornishMariner

Take away the three trophies and we still have, by far, one of the biggest fan bases in the league with lots of season ticket sales and a large squad. Yes we might struggle in the championship but we should not accept being an "average" league one team. My suspicion is that we will eventually stumble across a manager that can take us back up, more by luck than judgement.

Like Chris Wilder at Sheffield United - it took them time to find him but they eventually managed it.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Illusions of grandeur? on 10:04 - Oct 25 with 756 viewsjeera

Illusions of grandeur? on 10:03 - Oct 25 by pointofblue

Like Chris Wilder at Sheffield United - it took them time to find him but they eventually managed it.

Once we've run out of Pauls, which letter do you think Evans will randomly go for next?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Illusions of grandeur? on 10:09 - Oct 25 with 745 viewsPinewoodblue

Illusions of grandeur? on 10:04 - Oct 25 by jeera

Once we've run out of Pauls, which letter do you think Evans will randomly go for next?

Think the OP assumes Lambert will still be here in two years time

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024