Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Outfield Players Between the Sticks 19:47 - Oct 28 with 1914 viewsWoolfenthen

I can think of 3 for Town, have there been any others?

Matt Holland (Oxford H, for Richard Wright whilst getting stitched up, conceded 1 I think)
Neil Gregory (Charlton H, for injured Craig Forrest, conceded 4)
Russell Osman, can anyone remember who this was against?, seem to recall he kept a clean sheet too
Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 19:50 - Oct 28 with 1646 viewsCoastalblue

I think Osman may have done it more than once? I can recall there was a lot of chatter about him being a youth rugby player, possibly at International level?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 19:53 - Oct 28 with 1619 viewsKeno

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 19:50 - Oct 28 by Coastalblue

I think Osman may have done it more than once? I can recall there was a lot of chatter about him being a youth rugby player, possibly at International level?

Osman played under 15 Rugby for England

https://russellosman.weebly.com/blog/football-the-early-years

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 20:09 - Oct 28 with 1606 viewsPhilTWTD

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 19:50 - Oct 28 by Coastalblue

West Brom was the game I remember, around 1980-ish, ended 0-0.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 20:13 - Oct 28 with 1587 viewsgainsboroughblue

Ian Cranson at Sunderland circa 87. I think he kept a clean sheet until a late late penalty.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 20:17 - Oct 28 with 1566 viewsblueislander

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 20:13 - Oct 28 by gainsboroughblue

Ian Cranson at Sunderland circa 87. I think he kept a clean sheet until a late late penalty.

I may be wrong, but I think Trevor Whymark might have done it. As an aside Alan Hunter’s brother Victor was a decent goalkeeper in Northern Island non-league.
Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 20:17 - Oct 28 with 1566 viewsreusersfreekicks

Whymark in the 70s?
Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 20:22 - Oct 28 with 1557 viewsblueislander

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 20:17 - Oct 28 by reusersfreekicks

Whymark in the 70s?

Yep. Who else?
Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 20:27 - Oct 28 with 1542 viewsWoolfenthen

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 20:13 - Oct 28 by gainsboroughblue

Excellent, thank you!

http://www.prideofanglia.com/page.php?page=displayImage&linkimage=sql%2Fmatch-re
Login to get fewer ads

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 20:29 - Oct 28 with 1535 viewsSteve_M

Gregory against Huddersfield as well I think, lost 3-1 in about Sep ‘96.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 21:51 - Oct 28 with 1442 viewsSuperCoops

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 20:29 - Oct 28 by Steve_M

Gregory against Huddersfield as well I think, lost 3-1 in about Sep ‘96.

I'm sure Greggors went in goal replacing Forrest vs. Charlton and then for Wright against Huddersfield.

Am I right in thinking one of them was a 5-1 loss?

David Hill went in goal at Brighton around 1988 after Forrest was stretchered off, think we lost 1-0.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2020 21:52]
Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 22:22 - Oct 28 with 1380 viewsgainsboroughblue

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 21:51 - Oct 28 by SuperCoops

I'm sure Greggors went in goal replacing Forrest vs. Charlton and then for Wright against Huddersfield.

David Hill went in goal at Brighton around 1988 after Forrest was stretchered off, think we lost 1-0.

Oh well remembered. Don't know why I recalled the Cranson one ahead of this, as I was actually there!

From memory, Hill spilled the ball for their winner.

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 22:25 - Oct 28 with 1371 viewsThe_Major

I thought 5-1 was home against Reading with Holland going in fairly early on? I stand to be corrected though.
Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 22:36 - Oct 28 with 1357 viewsSuperCoops

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 22:25 - Oct 28 by The_Major

I thought 5-1 was home against Reading with Holland going in fairly early on? I stand to be corrected though.

Nah, the Holland temporary appearance was against Oxford and came in that spell when we scored 5 goals in each of 3 home games on the trot:

5-1 vs Huddersfield
5-0 vs Norwich
5-2 vs Oxford.
Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 22:43 - Oct 28 with 1341 viewsTrumptonBlue

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 22:36 - Oct 28 by SuperCoops

Nah, the Holland temporary appearance was against Oxford and came in that spell when we scored 5 goals in each of 3 home games on the trot:

5-1 vs Huddersfield
5-0 vs Norwich
5-2 vs Oxford.

Holland was out-jumped by Kevin Francis for Oxford's first goal despite Francis not actually leaving the ground.
Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 22:46 - Oct 28 with 1331 viewsgainsboroughblue

5-1 vs Huddersfield
5-0 vs Norwich
5-2 vs Oxford.

What were the subs allowed in the FL at that time? Given the two Gregory incidents and the Holland one, I wondered who was on the bench. Presumably not a keeper!

Was there a difference from the Prem rules at the time as a few years before, we were in a position to bring Baker on after Forrest was red carded? I'm also bearing in mind that as Holland's stay in goal was temporary, we didn't want to waste a substitution.

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 22:49 - Oct 28 with 1326 viewsThe_Major

5-1 vs Huddersfield
5-0 vs Norwich
5-2 vs Oxford.

Ah, that's it. Then the fourth game was against Reading, who were rubbish, Dave Allard or similar confidently predicted us to score ten, and in the end it was a scrappy 1-0 like last night.
Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 22:54 - Oct 28 with 1315 viewsSuperCoops

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 22:46 - Oct 28 by gainsboroughblue

What were the subs allowed in the FL at that time? Given the two Gregory incidents and the Holland one, I wondered who was on the bench. Presumably not a keeper!

Was there a difference from the Prem rules at the time as a few years before, we were in a position to bring Baker on after Forrest was red carded? I'm also bearing in mind that as Holland's stay in goal was temporary, we didn't want to waste a substitution.

It was just 3 named subs, think you could only play 2 of them at that time. We sometimes had Lee Bracey as sub keeper but thought Gregory offered a better option for flexibility... And a better keeper than Bracey!

It was the be rules as the Clive Baker appearance, we just had a keeper on the bench that day.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2020 22:58]
Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 23:00 - Oct 28 with 1306 viewsSuperCoops

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 22:43 - Oct 28 by TrumptonBlue

Holland was out-jumped by Kevin Francis for Oxford's first goal despite Francis not actually leaving the ground.

In fairness, Francis was 6 ft 7.
Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 07:32 - Oct 29 with 1169 viewsSteve_M

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 21:51 - Oct 28 by SuperCoops

Yes, Charlton was 5-1. Tony Vaughan got sent off too. It was the last match I saw before I went to uni so Sep '95.

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 09:56 - Oct 29 with 1088 viewsEastTownBlue

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 22:25 - Oct 28 by The_Major

You could be thinking of the match where the Bulgarian Reading keeper Bobby Mihailov was red carded ? I believe that they had an outfield player go in goal.
Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 10:14 - Oct 29 with 1056 viewsgazzer1999

David Webb started in goal against us and Chelsea still beat us.
Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 10:17 - Oct 29 with 1050 viewsgazzer1999

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 10:14 - Oct 29 by gazzer1999

David Webb started in goal against us and Chelsea still beat us.

He also played as an emergency centre forward against us and scored a hat trick in a 3-1 win.
Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 10:18 - Oct 29 with 1048 viewsBluebert

Definitely could be imagining things but didnt Danny Haynes have a go once??
Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 10:22 - Oct 29 with 1045 viewsRadlett_blue

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 22:54 - Oct 28 by SuperCoops

It was just 3 named subs, think you could only play 2 of them at that time. We sometimes had Lee Bracey as sub keeper but thought Gregory offered a better option for flexibility... And a better keeper than Bracey!

It was the be rules as the Clive Baker appearance, we just had a keeper on the bench that day.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2020 22:58]

Even when it went to 5 subs on the bench, some managers such as Warnock preferred the greater flexibility of having 5 outfield players & usually didn't have a keeper on the bench. I think we always used to have a spare keeper when it went to 5.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 10:26 - Oct 29 with 1039 viewsSteve_M

Outfield Players Between the Sticks on 10:22 - Oct 29 by Radlett_blue

Even when it went to 5 subs on the bench, some managers such as Warnock preferred the greater flexibility of having 5 outfield players & usually didn't have a keeper on the bench. I think we always used to have a spare keeper when it went to 5.

I watched Sheffield United at Millwall in the early 2000s. Paddy Kenny and aNorwich hated Kevin Muscat got sent off at half time and Jagielka went in goal. Sheffield United turned a 1-0 deficit around to win 2-1 and it was really quite funny being in the home end.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024