Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The lockdown Australian style... 15:07 - Nov 1 with 3475 viewsIPS_wich

So - not a single new COVID case in last 24 hours in Australia: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-54768038

In Australia we have benefitted from the first wave being during the tail end of our warm summer, but our various governments have not dicked around.

At the first sign of the R number rising last March there was a national lock down. The numbers were kept low, and bar 2-3 break outs in old people’s homes there were few deaths. But when I say lock down, I mean lock down. The borders were shut, the only people allowed in to the country were returning Aussies, and nobody with an Aussie passport has been allowed to leave the country without a special exemption, and that generally means you are leaving for business and can demonstrate you will not return for at least 12 months.

Aussies returning to Australia have had to quarantine in hotels for two weeks. To start with the government paid, but back in July the government said Aussies had been given enough notice to return, so if they wanted to come back they would have to pay $3,000 (about £1,5000) for the quarantine.

A few people who have breached the lockdown have gone to jail, and thousands have been fined.

Not only that, but most of the states have shut their borders to other states, especially to travellers from Victoria where there was an outbreak over the last few months - caused by lapse security in a couple of the quarantine hotels.

The Victorian shutdown lasted 12 weeks and was incredibly harsh. People allowed to leave once a day to go to the supermarket, no gatherings, all workplaces shut. No one allowed to travel more than 5km from home - with huge fines for those caught (often using number plate recognition).

Professional sport started up after three months, but only by forcing players to relocate to hubs for 100+ days, where the only people they could interact with were other players and officials. Players caught breaching these rules have been given some long suspensions. 2-3 players who really broke the quarantine rules have been sacked.

We go into our summer with less than 0.1% of the population having tested positive (compared to 3-4% in the Uk/US), so until there’s a vaccine we’re not going anywhere and nobody is coming in.

This is not intended to gloat. The majority of my family - including my parents and brother- are in the uk. Some of them on the highly vulnerable list. I can’t come and visit them. They can’t come a visit us.

The UK government has failed its people. Even when it decides to take action, it does so in a half-ar$ed way, with more than enough loopholes for those who don’t want to comply. As such, more people will die and the ‘lockdowns’ will keep on happening.
The lockdown Australian style... on 15:09 - Nov 1 with 1989 viewsnoggin

"The UK government has failed its people. Even when it decides to take action, it does so in a half-ar$ed way, with more than enough loopholes for those who don’t want to comply. As such, more people will die and the ‘lockdowns’ will keep on happening."

Yeah but Corbyn...

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

The lockdown Australian style... on 15:10 - Nov 1 with 1978 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

But what about our civil liberties?
The lockdown Australian style... on 15:13 - Nov 1 with 1957 viewsJ2BLUE

Closing borders should have been part of any package.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The lockdown Australian style... on 15:25 - Nov 1 with 1916 viewsTangledupin_Blue

The lockdown Australian style... on 15:13 - Nov 1 by J2BLUE

Closing borders should have been part of any package.

We ought to benefit from being an island, making it easier to isolate, but electing Frank Spencer to be PM has kyboshed that.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

The lockdown Australian style... on 15:40 - Nov 1 with 1865 viewsfactual_blue

Professor Devi Sridhar was saying all of this on the BBC yesterday before the idiot came out with his bumbling wiff-waff.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The lockdown Australian style... on 15:41 - Nov 1 with 1860 viewsAce_High1

The Aussies have been brilliant, really envious of how both the people and the authorities have handled the whole situation.

Which is a surprise as I was over there last Christmas when Morrison was getting hammered (deservedly) for his shambolic handing of the bushfires.

Hope you guys make the most of all of your collective hard work and have a great summer!

I was due to be over there right now for 3 weeks but that has long been cancelled.
The lockdown Australian style... on 15:48 - Nov 1 with 1840 viewsStokieBlue

The lockdown Australian style... on 15:10 - Nov 1 by IpswichBoyBlue

But what about our civil liberties?

You mean the ones they are now getting back because the virus is down to virtually zero? The ones that mean they will be able to get back to their lives rather than have continuous lockdowns which are probably more of a restriction on civil liberties over the long-term?

The probably with many in this country is that in their minds their little life is the most important thing in the world and everything else is irrelevant. You only have to read this board to see that. They would prefer to be able to go to the pub with their friends regardless of the cost to others as "you can't put a price on freedom".

C19 is a problem for all society and all society need to be involved in fixing it - the Aussies can see this, unfortunately many in this country can't.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The lockdown Australian style... on 15:52 - Nov 1 with 1821 viewsgtsb1966

Vs the lockdown British style
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-54769055
Login to get fewer ads

The lockdown Australian style... on 16:02 - Nov 1 with 1793 viewsMattinLondon

The lockdown Australian style... on 15:52 - Nov 1 by gtsb1966

Vs the lockdown British style
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-54769055

The last few years have taught me that a lot of British people are self-entitled idiots. Regardless of age or anything like that, compared to other countries, there’s a lot of idiots on this small island.
The lockdown Australian style... on 16:07 - Nov 1 with 1784 viewsBasuco

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't Australia use the SARS model to fight Covid and the UK used the Flu model. All Countries that used the SARS model have had a significantly lower infection and death rate.
The lockdown Australian style... on 16:15 - Nov 1 with 1759 viewsmikeybloo88

Australia is very lucky to have people who obey the rules...UK is choc full of kn0bheads who don't and then moan when we end up haing to move from limited restrictions and minor inconvenience to full restrictions and major inconvenience.
The lockdown Australian style... on 16:21 - Nov 1 with 1744 viewsEastTownBlue

The lockdown Australian style... on 16:15 - Nov 1 by mikeybloo88

Australia is very lucky to have people who obey the rules...UK is choc full of kn0bheads who don't and then moan when we end up haing to move from limited restrictions and minor inconvenience to full restrictions and major inconvenience.

But we end up with comparisons to how people who lived during the war would have reacted differently to this.
Yeh but no but... on 16:34 - Nov 1 with 1709 viewsDyland

A) You can't tell me what to do

B) The NWO is ramping it up

C) Who gives a sh1t

D) I'm a stupid cUnit

Tick the box that applies to you. You can tick more than one (CLUE: D is a given).

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

The lockdown Australian style... on 17:18 - Nov 1 with 1581 viewsbluelagos

Whilst I am sure we can learn things from Aus, I'd definitely challenge your first sentence. Just google 'St Kilda beach trouble' and you'll get plenty of stories of holiday agro where Aussies kick off in a way that is every bit as anti- social as Brits do.

Perhaps what we can learn is that if you want compliance, you need to police things properly with enforcement of the rules.

I also wonder if limited travel between states is something we adopt? In WA there are currently next to no limits/restrictions. (I have relatives there) but they have been unable to travel out or state for months.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Yeh but no but... on 17:21 - Nov 1 with 1569 viewsJ2BLUE

Yeh but no but... on 16:34 - Nov 1 by Dyland

C) Who gives a sh1t

D) I'm a stupid cUnit

Tick the box that applies to you. You can tick more than one (CLUE: D is a given).

A) You can't tell me what to do [x]

B) The NWO is ramping it up [x]

C) Who gives a sh1t [x]

D) I'm a stupid cUnit [x]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Yeh but no but... on 17:23 - Nov 1 with 1557 viewsDyland

Yeh but no but... on 17:21 - Nov 1 by J2BLUE

A) You can't tell me what to do [x]

B) The NWO is ramping it up [x]

C) Who gives a sh1t [x]

D) I'm a stupid cUnit [x]

The lockdown Australian style... on 17:32 - Nov 1 with 1536 viewsParisBlue

The lockdown Australian style... on 17:18 - Nov 1 by bluelagos

Whilst I am sure we can learn things from Aus, I'd definitely challenge your first sentence. Just google 'St Kilda beach trouble' and you'll get plenty of stories of holiday agro where Aussies kick off in a way that is every bit as anti- social as Brits do.

Perhaps what we can learn is that if you want compliance, you need to police things properly with enforcement of the rules.

I also wonder if limited travel between states is something we adopt? In WA there are currently next to no limits/restrictions. (I have relatives there) but they have been unable to travel out or state for months.

Well....much of Wales has been restricted since the beginning of September with people unable to leave their borough council. Unfortunately no such rules exist in England.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Yeh but no but... on 17:35 - Nov 1 with 1525 viewsgtsb1966

Yeh but no but... on 16:34 - Nov 1 by Dyland

C) Who gives a sh1t

D) I'm a stupid cUnit

When I drink too much Adnams Broadside I'm always D.
The lockdown Australian style... on 17:36 - Nov 1 with 1522 viewsbluelagos

The lockdown Australian style... on 17:32 - Nov 1 by ParisBlue

Well....much of Wales has been restricted since the beginning of September with people unable to leave their borough council. Unfortunately no such rules exist in England.

From Thursday you are not allowed to stay away from your home overnight, so no second home visits. (In England)

What I am unsure of is whether these are guidelines or laws? And whether they will be enforced?

Plus the police already have a day job...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The lockdown Australian style... on 17:36 - Nov 1 with 1524 viewsfactual_blue

Sources in Melbourne tell me the flare-ups there were mainly down to hotel staff offering/procuring 'additional personal services' to arrivals from abroad who were placed in mandatory quarantine.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Yeh but no but... on 17:37 - Nov 1 with 1515 viewsDyland

Yeh but no but... on 17:35 - Nov 1 by gtsb1966

When I drink too much Adnams Broadside I'm always D.

"When I drink too much Adnams Broadside" was superfluous :) x

The lockdown Australian style... on 17:40 - Nov 1 with 1495 viewsAce_High1

The lockdown Australian style... on 17:36 - Nov 1 by bluelagos

From Thursday you are not allowed to stay away from your home overnight, so no second home visits. (In England)

What I am unsure of is whether these are guidelines or laws? And whether they will be enforced?

Unless it is work related.
The lockdown Australian style... on 17:40 - Nov 1 with 1499 viewsgtsb1966

The lockdown Australian style... on 17:36 - Nov 1 by bluelagos

I live on my own. I spend loads of my time with my daughter and grandson . Am I not allowed to see them for a month then. I don't stay overnight but once a week my grandson stays at mine.
The lockdown Australian style... on 17:40 - Nov 1 with 1494 viewsjeera

The lockdown Australian style... on 17:36 - Nov 1 by factual_blue

Sources in Melbourne tell me the flare-ups there were mainly down to hotel staff offering/procuring 'additional personal services' to arrivals from abroad who were placed in mandatory quarantine.

Sorry, which hotel did you say this is?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The lockdown Australian style... on 17:40 - Nov 1 with 1495 viewspistonbroke

Unfortunately with a Tory government , it’s profit before people
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024