Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Short term deals. 20:00 - Nov 26 with 1278 viewsOwainG1992

Emyr Huws, Loan spell looked fantastic.
We give him a 4 year deal and as a whole were delighted with the ambition.
Been over injuries a little while is nothing like the player we had on loan.
Alan Judge, short term deal in a relegation loomed side, Looked a serious bit of quality.
Good god he's been god awful.
So frustrating, Is there perhaps less ambition once that bumper pay day is earned?

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Short term deals. on 20:08 - Nov 26 with 1244 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's called the Jimmy Bullard effect. Top performing signings turning to absolute sh*te at the squiggle of a pen on a permanent long term contract. (See also Lambert).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Short term deals. on 09:23 - Nov 27 with 1087 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Short term deals. on 20:08 - Nov 26 by Swansea_Blue

It's called the Jimmy Bullard effect. Top performing signings turning to absolute sh*te at the squiggle of a pen on a permanent long term contract. (See also Lambert).

I would even say Gary Roberts before Jimmy Bullard! Top notch in his loan then bang average once signed.

Maybe its a good thing we missed out on Francis Jeffers?!

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Short term deals. on 09:31 - Nov 27 with 1063 viewsHerbivore

Judge was signed on an 18 month deal. We gave him a new contract in the summer to keep him when QPR came sniffing. Should have taken the money.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Short term deals. on 09:39 - Nov 27 with 1043 viewsGeoffSentence

Short term deals. on 09:23 - Nov 27 by OhDavidMcgoldrick

I would even say Gary Roberts before Jimmy Bullard! Top notch in his loan then bang average once signed.

Maybe its a good thing we missed out on Francis Jeffers?!

In retrospect it was a good thing we missed out on Jeffers, great for us in his short spell here, then suffered injury problems and sank without a trace when he signed for Wednesday(?)

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Short term deals. on 09:40 - Nov 27 with 1039 viewsDanTheMan

Short term deals. on 09:31 - Nov 27 by Herbivore

Judge was signed on an 18 month deal. We gave him a new contract in the summer to keep him when QPR came sniffing. Should have taken the money.

I was one of those really hoping we'd tell QPR to fook off.

Now I'd drive him there myself.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Short term deals. on 09:42 - Nov 27 with 1035 viewsHerbivore

Short term deals. on 09:40 - Nov 27 by DanTheMan

I was one of those really hoping we'd tell QPR to fook off.

Now I'd drive him there myself.

I wasn't bothered, I felt he'd flattered to deceive in that half season with us. Think he'd managed one assist in about 20 games and no goals despite him being given licence to roam and be our main creative outlet.

Short term deals. on 09:43 - Nov 27 with 1026 viewsDanTheMan

Short term deals. on 09:42 - Nov 27 by Herbivore

I wasn't bothered, I felt he'd flattered to deceive in that half season with us. Think he'd managed one assist in about 20 games and no goals despite him being given licence to roam and be our main creative outlet.

I naively thought that a fit Alan Judge in League One would be a real asset. How bloody wrong I was.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Short term deals. on 09:44 - Nov 27 with 1018 viewsclive_baker

I don't think it's about desire or ambition, having swindled a contract a player becomes disinterested, that's a pessimistic way of looking at things. I think in Huws' case he had literally years out of the game. I thought he had age on his side but having been back in contention for a year now, with the extended lockdown break which I thought might've been a bit of a leveller, he looks to have lost what he once had. His USP was his mobility, he was tall but slight, and fairly high energy. He's filled out and now he looks laboured, looks fairly immobile to me and ponderous on the ball. Whether it's a fitness thing or a confidence thing, he's a shadow of the player he once was. The best thing he could do is keep fit throughout the rest of this season and take a step down to a L1 side where he's going to play week in week out and try to rebuild his career. Perhaps a Bristol Rovers, reinvent himself as that deep lying enforcer in midfield that he seemingly sees himself as now.

Judge has been shocking for the last 2 games. I've had some sympathy with him previously as he's largely been played out of position, and it seems our fans are forgiving of others when shoe horned in unfavourable positions, but suddenly expect Judge to be some flying winger. I'm not sure if its a misunderstanding of what his role is but for me he's another one who has been a high energy, all action midfielder and a bit of a terrier, but never had the greatest quality. A hustler which all teams need some of. I didn't think he had a bad start to the season, games like Blackpool away he played really well and still got stick. He won't pull a ball down out of the air, beat 2 men and whip a cross in, but he does get about and the amount of times he forced errors or turnovers was impressive.

The last 2 games he's been dire. He's not the only one, but he's been properly sh1t, especially considering on Tuesday he started in a more familiar position, so there's no real excuses there. I don't hate him, and I actually respect that he's got some balls about him and gets about, he needs a lot more quality with the ball at his feet though. We're rightly more forgiving of young players but if you look at Lankester's performances this last week he neither showed the quality on the ball or got himself about, he was anonymous for long periods and in possession he was awful.

For me there's a huge lack of direction and shape. The midfield was a car crash on Tuesday, we had McGavin sitting deeper than our 2 centre backs at times, Judge pushed right on and Huws left on his own in the centre circle. Not a popular opinion on here but we really miss Nolan. He's a much better player than he gets credit for.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Short term deals. on 09:47 - Nov 27 with 1010 viewsitfcjoe

He wasn't, he was short term until end of the season, and then new 2 year deal when season ended.

QPR could have effectively had him for nothing if they had appointed Warburton quicker

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Short term deals. on 09:51 - Nov 27 with 998 viewsHerbivore

Short term deals. on 09:44 - Nov 27 by clive_baker

I don't think it's about desire or ambition, having swindled a contract a player becomes disinterested, that's a pessimistic way of looking at things. I think in Huws' case he had literally years out of the game. I thought he had age on his side but having been back in contention for a year now, with the extended lockdown break which I thought might've been a bit of a leveller, he looks to have lost what he once had. His USP was his mobility, he was tall but slight, and fairly high energy. He's filled out and now he looks laboured, looks fairly immobile to me and ponderous on the ball. Whether it's a fitness thing or a confidence thing, he's a shadow of the player he once was. The best thing he could do is keep fit throughout the rest of this season and take a step down to a L1 side where he's going to play week in week out and try to rebuild his career. Perhaps a Bristol Rovers, reinvent himself as that deep lying enforcer in midfield that he seemingly sees himself as now.

Judge has been shocking for the last 2 games. I've had some sympathy with him previously as he's largely been played out of position, and it seems our fans are forgiving of others when shoe horned in unfavourable positions, but suddenly expect Judge to be some flying winger. I'm not sure if its a misunderstanding of what his role is but for me he's another one who has been a high energy, all action midfielder and a bit of a terrier, but never had the greatest quality. A hustler which all teams need some of. I didn't think he had a bad start to the season, games like Blackpool away he played really well and still got stick. He won't pull a ball down out of the air, beat 2 men and whip a cross in, but he does get about and the amount of times he forced errors or turnovers was impressive.

The last 2 games he's been dire. He's not the only one, but he's been properly sh1t, especially considering on Tuesday he started in a more familiar position, so there's no real excuses there. I don't hate him, and I actually respect that he's got some balls about him and gets about, he needs a lot more quality with the ball at his feet though. We're rightly more forgiving of young players but if you look at Lankester's performances this last week he neither showed the quality on the ball or got himself about, he was anonymous for long periods and in possession he was awful.

For me there's a huge lack of direction and shape. The midfield was a car crash on Tuesday, we had McGavin sitting deeper than our 2 centre backs at times, Judge pushed right on and Huws left on his own in the centre circle. Not a popular opinion on here but we really miss Nolan. He's a much better player than he gets credit for.

I don't think anyone is expecting Judge to be a flying winger, we just expect him not to be utter dog sh!t. I don't seem to recall him being signed as a 'terrier', he was signed as someone who would create and who had quality on the ball. Those two attributes have been sorely lacking so now he seems to have been rebranded as a 'terrier', which seems to translate into him looking like a Poundland Jay Tabb. And that's being kind about where he's at currently.

I agree the midfield balance was off on Tuesday, but you'd think a player with Judge's experience should recognise that in pushing on and drifting wide he's leaving us short in the middle. Not that it mattered that much as whenever he got the ball in the middle he miscontrolled it or gave it away. He's been shocking lately, and underwhelming for 18 months really.

Short term deals. on 09:53 - Nov 27 with 991 viewsHerbivore

Short term deals. on 09:47 - Nov 27 by itfcjoe

He wasn't, he was short term until end of the season, and then new 2 year deal when season ended.

QPR could have effectively had him for nothing if they had appointed Warburton quicker

We had a 12 month option though, so effectively it was an 18 month deal.

Short term deals. on 09:55 - Nov 27 with 982 viewsKeaneish

I reckon a good manager could prolong Judge’s career, he has the ability. At the moment he looks like an 11-year old trying to impress his overbearing dad at a pre-season tournament.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Short term deals. on 09:56 - Nov 27 with 973 viewsHerbivore

Short term deals. on 09:55 - Nov 27 by Keaneish

I reckon a good manager could prolong Judge’s career, he has the ability. At the moment he looks like an 11-year old trying to impress his overbearing dad at a pre-season tournament.

He had the ability, he clearly no longer has it.

Short term deals. on 10:54 - Nov 27 with 891 viewsKeaneish

Short term deals. on 09:56 - Nov 27 by Herbivore

He had the ability, he clearly no longer has it.

He was in the ROI squads selected by Mick 6 months or so ago and he’s only 32. I think he’s still got another few years left In him if someone can get it out of him and stop him running around like a headless chicken.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Short term deals. on 10:55 - Nov 27 with 887 viewsHerbivore

Short term deals. on 10:54 - Nov 27 by Keaneish

He was in the ROI squads selected by Mick 6 months or so ago and he’s only 32. I think he’s still got another few years left In him if someone can get it out of him and stop him running around like a headless chicken.

His first touch has gone. He can't pass to a teammate anymore. He looks completely done as a footballer, even at this level.

Short term deals. on 11:08 - Nov 27 with 871 viewsTractorWood

Short term deals. on 09:43 - Nov 27 by DanTheMan

I naively thought that a fit Alan Judge in League One would be a real asset. How bloody wrong I was.

Everyone did tbf. He's been a seismic disappointment.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Short term deals. on 11:23 - Nov 27 with 860 viewsbournemouthblue

Alan Judge has never looked like 'a serious bit of quality' to me, he isn't the player he was when he was younger. I still think he needs to reinvent himself as a central midfielder but I think he does contribute more than people appreciate. Am I right in thinking he's the one who had the shot which led to Lankester's winner the other day?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024