Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reading some the comments 23:38 - Dec 12 with 5930 viewsstantheman

I wonder if some of the people on here are actually Town fans by the way their vitriol spews out all the time.
Happy Clapper (n/t) on 15:14 - Dec 13 with 1984 viewsjayessess

Happy Clapper (n/t) on 14:59 - Dec 13 by stantheman

Am I? If you think a supporter of over 60 years is happy about where we are you are very wrong. I am just saying our track record of changing managers every few seasons has not worked so why would anything change by throwing the Evans manager dice again. Just a thought and my individual opinion.

Most clubs change managers more often than Ipswich. The current average tenure of a football league manager is 1 year and 72 days. Bar Paul Hurst, *every* Ipswich manager of the Evans era got longer than that.

Paul Lambert has had longer in post than 63 other managers in the football league. Almost every manager with a longer tenure than him has at least one unambiguously successful season, be it a promotion or a higher league finish than their resources might lead us to expect.

Maybe the problem is we don't change our managers often enough?
[Post edited 13 Dec 2020 15:17]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Reading some the comments on 15:39 - Dec 13 with 1881 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Dan > Stan in theman stakes.
Happy Clapper (n/t) on 15:54 - Dec 13 with 1828 viewsstantheman

Happy Clapper (n/t) on 15:14 - Dec 13 by jayessess

Most clubs change managers more often than Ipswich. The current average tenure of a football league manager is 1 year and 72 days. Bar Paul Hurst, *every* Ipswich manager of the Evans era got longer than that.

Paul Lambert has had longer in post than 63 other managers in the football league. Almost every manager with a longer tenure than him has at least one unambiguously successful season, be it a promotion or a higher league finish than their resources might lead us to expect.

Maybe the problem is we don't change our managers often enough?
[Post edited 13 Dec 2020 15:17]

It just seems a lot of changes to me based on our history. Just to make it plain I am not averse to changing. It's the decision process that is the problem.
Happy Clapper (n/t) on 16:03 - Dec 13 with 1809 viewsjayessess

Happy Clapper (n/t) on 15:54 - Dec 13 by stantheman

It just seems a lot of changes to me based on our history. Just to make it plain I am not averse to changing. It's the decision process that is the problem.

Relative to what they achieved, they were all left in post. There's a mythology about "giving managers time to succeed", but there's very little evidence that it's normal for a coach to start off failing for a few seasons then finally find the right formula.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Happy Clapper (n/t) on 16:50 - Dec 13 with 1782 viewsstantheman

Happy Clapper (n/t) on 16:03 - Dec 13 by jayessess

Relative to what they achieved, they were all left in post. There's a mythology about "giving managers time to succeed", but there's very little evidence that it's normal for a coach to start off failing for a few seasons then finally find the right formula.

Fair point tbf
Reading some the comments on 17:31 - Dec 13 with 1759 viewsjeera

Where has half this thread gone?

There was no abuse that I saw, unless it went rapidly downhill.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Stan was such a man.... on 17:45 - Dec 13 with 1738 viewsBloots

Reading some the comments on 17:31 - Dec 13 by jeera

Where has half this thread gone?

There was no abuse that I saw, unless it went rapidly downhill.

....that he called me a nasty name because I said he was a Happy Clapper.

It could have been that I guess.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Reading some the comments on 17:47 - Dec 13 with 1735 viewswkj

Hi, I'm a town fan! Just not a fan of the people who have hijacked town and have mutilated the club.

Cheers.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Login to get fewer ads

Reading some the comments on 17:50 - Dec 13 with 1733 viewsfooters

The banning of an independent journalist from pressers was the final straw for me. Apologies if that makes you think I'm not a Town fan, because unfortunately I am. Still put up with the complete toss that's been served up on the field for years though. Not now. Soz.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Happy Clapper (n/t) on 17:52 - Dec 13 with 1724 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Happy Clapper (n/t) on 14:59 - Dec 13 by stantheman

Am I? If you think a supporter of over 60 years is happy about where we are you are very wrong. I am just saying our track record of changing managers every few seasons has not worked so why would anything change by throwing the Evans manager dice again. Just a thought and my individual opinion.

"Our track record of changing managers every few seasons".

Aside from Hurst who didn't last a season and took us from firmly Championship to definites for relegation, this just isn't true.

The one thing Evans has done is always stuck by his managers - often for far too long.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Stan was such a man.... on 17:53 - Dec 13 with 1719 viewsstantheman

Stan was such a man.... on 17:45 - Dec 13 by Bloots

The happy clapper tag has always referred to supporters who do not care what is happening and are just ok with what is and has happened at the club for god knows how long. Also it has been used to blame them for the demise of the club. To bracket people in this category is annoying, when I would have thought we all have the best interests of the club at heart.
Stan was such a man.... on 17:58 - Dec 13 with 1706 viewsfooters

Stan was such a man.... on 17:53 - Dec 13 by stantheman

The happy clapper tag has always referred to supporters who do not care what is happening and are just ok with what is and has happened at the club for god knows how long. Also it has been used to blame them for the demise of the club. To bracket people in this category is annoying, when I would have thought we all have the best interests of the club at heart.

So basically your message is to sit down and shut up because we have injuries and Lambert will eventually sort it out? That it?

Stan was such a man.... on 17:59 - Dec 13 with 1701 viewswkj

Stan was such a man.... on 17:58 - Dec 13 by footers

So basically your message is to sit down and shut up because we have injuries and Lambert will eventually sort it out? That it?

I suppose 2 years isn't really enough time for a warm up these days, you might be onto something here.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Stan was such a man.... on 18:01 - Dec 13 with 1691 viewsfooters

Stan was such a man.... on 17:59 - Dec 13 by wkj

I suppose 2 years isn't really enough time for a warm up these days, you might be onto something here.

Yeah, more than two years isn't really enough time to judge, is it? Maybe I'm being unfair. Let's give him another contract.

Stan was such a man.... on 18:05 - Dec 13 with 1681 viewsjeera

Stan was such a man.... on 17:45 - Dec 13 by Bloots

Stan the meanie.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I've only just stopped crying. (n/t) on 18:06 - Dec 13 with 1680 viewsBloots

Stan was such a man.... on 18:05 - Dec 13 by jeera

Stan the meanie.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Reading some the comments on 19:11 - Dec 13 with 1647 viewsDanTheMan

Reading some the comments on 15:39 - Dec 13 by DropCliffsNotBombs

Dan > Stan in theman stakes.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Stan was such a man.... on 20:30 - Dec 13 with 1625 viewsstantheman

Stan was such a man.... on 17:58 - Dec 13 by footers

No, I am saying that labelling fellow supporters "happy clappers" doesn't mean they care any less. Is it helpful for everyone to boo because they are not happy with a result or situation. Some want to and some don't, it's personal choice and it doesn't mean they care any less. Some on here think not booing means you care less, which is not the case. Is that any clearer?
Stan was such a man.... on 20:33 - Dec 13 with 1625 viewsSpruceMoose

Stan was such a man.... on 20:30 - Dec 13 by stantheman

No, I am saying that labelling fellow supporters "happy clappers" doesn't mean they care any less. Is it helpful for everyone to boo because they are not happy with a result or situation. Some want to and some don't, it's personal choice and it doesn't mean they care any less. Some on here think not booing means you care less, which is not the case. Is that any clearer?

"Is it helpful for everyone to boo because they are not happy with a result or situation. "

Right now? Yes. 100%. What is applause if not a signal of approval? If you can't bring yourself to boo then just be quiet. Don't applaud and reward abject failure.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Stan was such a man.... on 20:39 - Dec 13 with 1617 viewsstantheman

Stan was such a man.... on 20:33 - Dec 13 by SpruceMoose

"Is it helpful for everyone to boo because they are not happy with a result or situation. "

Right now? Yes. 100%. What is applause if not a signal of approval? If you can't bring yourself to boo then just be quiet. Don't applaud and reward abject failure.

That's point I was trying to make, rather obliquely, that I do not like being labelled a "happy clapper." If I was unhappy with the performance I neither clapped or booed. That is where I stand on the matter. I hope I am making it clearer.
Stan was such a man.... on 20:41 - Dec 13 with 1616 viewsSpruceMoose

Stan was such a man.... on 20:39 - Dec 13 by stantheman

That's point I was trying to make, rather obliquely, that I do not like being labelled a "happy clapper." If I was unhappy with the performance I neither clapped or booed. That is where I stand on the matter. I hope I am making it clearer.

Nobody is talking about you if you didn't clap or boo though? You would have been thoroughly unnoticed if you just sat there quietly. Who is calling you a happy clapper if you weren't clapping?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Stan was such a man.... on 20:54 - Dec 13 with 1605 viewsstantheman

Stan was such a man.... on 20:41 - Dec 13 by SpruceMoose

Nobody is talking about you if you didn't clap or boo though? You would have been thoroughly unnoticed if you just sat there quietly. Who is calling you a happy clapper if you weren't clapping?

Oh I don't know, someone on here recently either in this or another thread. It seems as if it's a phrase to label supporters who don't care or havn't got the gumption to voice their opinion. If you think booing will get Evans or Lambert out go for it. It's your prerogative. I am not sure what I can do to change things personally. I just hope things change for the better for the sake of the younger generation who support the club because they will be the future.
Stan was such a man.... on 21:07 - Dec 13 with 1595 viewsSpruceMoose

Stan was such a man.... on 20:54 - Dec 13 by stantheman

Oh I don't know, someone on here recently either in this or another thread. It seems as if it's a phrase to label supporters who don't care or havn't got the gumption to voice their opinion. If you think booing will get Evans or Lambert out go for it. It's your prerogative. I am not sure what I can do to change things personally. I just hope things change for the better for the sake of the younger generation who support the club because they will be the future.

How do you think applauding or being silent will help you achieve change for the better exactly?

Stan was such a man.... on 21:15 - Dec 13 with 1579 viewsstantheman

Stan was such a man.... on 21:07 - Dec 13 by SpruceMoose

How do you think applauding or being silent will help you achieve change for the better exactly?

I'm not. Read my last post. I'm past it to have any affect. It's for the younger generation if they care enough.
Reading some the comments on 09:05 - Dec 15 with 1448 viewsHarlestonblue

Reading some the comments on 02:54 - Dec 13 by gainsboroughblue

This is part of the reason why p1ss all with this club will change.

Nobody is allowed to want or expect more. As long as we manage at least two shots on target a game, we should be happy. We should applaud and laud the team as we limp out of the division we should have exited in the opposite direction three years previous. We should be content that we are heading towards midtable or lower in the third tier with a squad that should, if not be p1ssing the league, at least making some sort of statement that we are at least ready to challenge, instead of collapsing to three home defeats in a row to clubs who are apparently, our peers in this division.

If we weren't Town fans, we wouldn't give two sh1ts about the drivel we've had to endure in the last decade and a half, including the negligence and sheer incompetence of the last two and a half.

All around the country, managers are losing their jobs at clubs, some far more harshly than the reasons Lambert would be fired for here. And at a great deal of these clubs, this leads to a revival in fortunes, because the fans and owners alike of these clubs, can see that things are not progressing the way they should, or they need someone in to change the direction or fire them to a new level.

When I look at Portman Road, see the statue of Bobby and Alf, the pictures of Beattie, Wark, Butcher et al holding the UEFA Cup, I do not think 'Yes, I'm happy my club is only realistically likely to beat the likes of Rochdale and Plymouth'.

It must also be noted that a lot of us are still hacked off with comments made towards the fans and actions towards Phil recently which has served even further a total lack of respect coming in our direction too, so in basic terms, screw them if they can't handle a bit back.

Accepting this sorry state of affairs is more akin to being part of the problem rather than being critical or challenging it.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2020 2:55]

Well said gainsboroughblue.
Gainsborough Ipswich or Gainsborough Lincolnshire?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024