Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Someone answer this for me please 02:52 - Dec 15 with 5565 viewsMrTown

RE: Salary Cap.

When we have a load of players expired contracts on over paid pros in the summer, and are replaced with more average L1 players, just on less money due to salary cap. Will Evans be losing any more money per annum in this division than he would in the Championship when the wage bill reduces?

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Someone answer this for me please on 19:54 - Dec 15 with 1012 viewsBryanPlug

Someone answer this for me please on 18:21 - Dec 15 by Tangledupin_Blue

You may not agree with all of Evans's choices as manager but they all seemed like reasonable choices at the time.

The one vital ingredient this club has lacked throughout his period as owner is luck.

Was it Napoleon who said "give me lucky generals"? Well we could do with a lucky manager!

Edit... "I'd rather have lucky generals than good ones". (Napoleon, later paraphrased by Eisenhower)
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 18:36]

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Someone answer this for me please on 04:55 - Dec 16 with 985 viewschrismakin

Wonder how Covid has effected Evans group

He was down £50 Million from 2019, so 2020 must have hit him hard

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Someone answer this for me please on 08:56 - Dec 16 with 952 viewsBryanPlug

Someone answer this for me please on 04:55 - Dec 16 by chrismakin

Wonder how Covid has effected Evans group

He was down £50 Million from 2019, so 2020 must have hit him hard

Someone answer this for me please (n/t) on 09:24 - Dec 16 with 939 viewsPhilTWTD

Someone answer this for me please (n/t) on 19:50 - Dec 15 by BryanPlug

A Bentley is worth rather more than a Mini, hence he'll want the club back in the Championship as soon as possible.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Someone answer this for me please (n/t) on 09:29 - Dec 16 with 933 viewsjayessess

As I keep saying though Evans sets the budget, whatever division we are in. If he wished he could "limp along" in the Championship with minimal losses or even make a small profit. No one could stop him from doing so.

"Congratulations Paul on winning the play-offs, thank goodness all the other teams came down with Coronavirus during May! BTW, the wage budget for next season is £10m and the transfer fund is £0m. Enjoy." Done, end of discussion, Evans takes home a modest profit.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Someone answer this for me please on 09:52 - Dec 16 with 919 viewsRadlett_blue

Someone answer this for me please on 18:21 - Dec 15 by Tangledupin_Blue

You may not agree with all of Evans's choices as manager but they all seemed like reasonable choices at the time.

The one vital ingredient this club has lacked throughout his period as owner is luck.

Was it Napoleon who said "give me lucky generals"? Well we could do with a lucky manager!

Edit... "I'd rather have lucky generals than good ones". (Napoleon, later paraphrased by Eisenhower)
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 18:36]

I disagree.
I (wrongly) thought Keane was a good gamble, despite some reservations about his personality.
I thought Jewell was yesterday's man, with his last success 4 years before we hired him.
McCarthy seemed a good appointment.
Like most of us, I hoped Hurst would prove to be a successful, up & coming manager.
I felt Lambert was in the same category as Jewell, with his last successful tenure 5 years previously.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Someone answer this for me please (n/t) on 14:55 - Dec 16 with 898 viewsBryanPlug

Someone answer this for me please (n/t) on 09:24 - Dec 16 by PhilTWTD

A Bentley is worth rather more than a Mini, hence he'll want the club back in the Championship as soon as possible.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Someone answer this for me please on 15:18 - Dec 16 with 876 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Someone answer this for me please on 09:52 - Dec 16 by Radlett_blue

I disagree.
I (wrongly) thought Keane was a good gamble, despite some reservations about his personality.
I thought Jewell was yesterday's man, with his last success 4 years before we hired him.
McCarthy seemed a good appointment.
Like most of us, I hoped Hurst would prove to be a successful, up & coming manager.
I felt Lambert was in the same category as Jewell, with his last successful tenure 5 years previously.

But each of the choices was not unreasonable at the time. Jewell, for example, would not have been my choice, either, though you could see why others might have thought he was a good fit.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Login to get fewer ads

Someone answer this for me please (n/t) on 15:36 - Dec 16 with 865 viewsPhilTWTD

Someone answer this for me please (n/t) on 14:55 - Dec 16 by BryanPlug

That is true but, and the car analogy rather fails here I think, the club's income is also significantly boosted by being in the Championship. Relegation cost the club £9 million.

Ultimately, being in the Championship may cost him more but the club is worth more if and when he comes to sell it.
Someone answer this for me please (n/t) on 23:29 - Dec 16 with 812 viewsstiff_talking

A good manager still needs financial backing

If not they will be classed a bad manager who can’t progress

Jewell spotted Boyd, Austin and Sharp before they hit it big and those players would have helped us progress forward. But Evans wouldn’t support singing those players. Boyd was
even in the building !

Mick would have got us up if Evans had have supported him financially. Murphy never should have been sold not and replaced. He was instrumental to everything we did at the time
Someone answer this for me please on 00:30 - Dec 17 with 807 viewsMrTown

Someone answer this for me please on 12:25 - Dec 15 by Cheltenham_Blue

Following will leave in June.

Donacien,
Chambers, (Move to non playing staff),
Ward,
Huws,
Judge,
Nsiala,
Wright,
Skuse,
Przybek,
Folami,
Cotter,
Clements,
Andoh,
Z.Brown,
K.Brown,
Hughes

Options taken up on -

Sears,
Jackson (Unless sold in Jan)
Bishop
Nydam
El Mizouni
Morris
Gibbs

New Contracts -

Edwards,
Drinan

Get rid of Sears. Of no benefit to the club going forward.

Also, wouldn’t be too hasty to get rid of Zak Brown, think he has something.

Not sure Edwards will sign a new deal either.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Someone answer this for me please (n/t) on 08:24 - Dec 17 with 772 viewsRadlett_blue

Someone answer this for me please (n/t) on 23:29 - Dec 16 by stiff_talking

A good manager still needs financial backing

If not they will be classed a bad manager who can’t progress

Jewell spotted Boyd, Austin and Sharp before they hit it big and those players would have helped us progress forward. But Evans wouldn’t support singing those players. Boyd was
even in the building !

Mick would have got us up if Evans had have supported him financially. Murphy never should have been sold not and replaced. He was instrumental to everything we did at the time

Every failed manager says that if his owner had allowed him to sign a couple more players, everything would have been fine.
January 2015 seemed exactly the right time for Evans to invest, with Town looking to have a great chance of automatic promotion. My understanding is that Evans offered investment & McCarthy turned it down because he didn't want to disrupt the team. I thought this was a poor decision, but we'll never know what might have happened.
Juicy offers came in for Murphy after his outstanding 2014-15 season & Evans consulted with McCarthy, who didn't want to sell. Therefore we kept Murphy for another season, which unsurprisingly wasn't as good (he was 32) & he was sold the next summer (for a much lower fee).

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Someone answer this for me please on 08:41 - Dec 17 with 762 viewslazyblue

Someone answer this for me please on 14:35 - Dec 15 by Radlett_blue

I don't think I'll be sorry to see most of the out of contract players go. I would also not take up an option on Sears.
This will be a huge clear out & a chance for a new manager to re-shape the team to his requirements. Huge problem is that this will be within a very small budget so he'd better be a good manager.

That is if we have a new manager then
Someone answer this for me please on 11:49 - Dec 17 with 739 viewsjayessess

Someone answer this for me please on 00:30 - Dec 17 by MrTown

I reckon almost everyone on that list will get offered a reduced deal if we're still in League One. Donacien won't and Huws probably won't as it stands. But I think Ward, Chambers and Skuse will all get another year if they don't retire. Sears, Nsiala, Wilson likely too.

Lambert has not shown any indication that he's the kind of manager to move out and replace 8 first teamers over one Summer.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2020 11:51]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Someone answer this for me please on 15:13 - Dec 17 with 721 viewsrickw

If a Championship club wants Edwards even as a sub they'll be able to offer far more than us (assuming we're still in L1)

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Someone answer this for me please on 22:23 - Dec 17 with 677 viewsBryanPlug

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024