Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... 09:12 - Mar 10 with 2709 viewsitfcjoe

....Lincoln a tough side to play against as incredibly well organised in both an attacking and defensive sense, very well coached in all phases.

Think there was a fear on the ball at times when we got into final third, that is something that seems bred into us as a team, plus I think we were rightly concerned about turning the ball over when you saw the pace on their flanks.

We just need to be a bit braver at times, and also show better quality when we do get chances to create something. Edwards struggled with his final touch/ball, and when we were chasing an equaliser there was a 5 minute spell when things opened up 3 times.

Dozzell lovely exchange of passes with Lankester in middle - drives forward - 25-30 yards from goal....tries to pass and it is behind Norwood who makes a bad run

Decent ball from Toto down wing to Norwood, his cross drops to Bishop who is 1 v 1 with a defender in the box......passes back to Dozzell and ends up with Kenlock and breaks down

Lankester striding foward with real purpose, things opening up nicely and rather than hammer a shot at goal he tries to play in Norwood who checks his run and ball comes to nothing.

There were a few other ones mostly out wide, but this attempt to score the perfect goal is why we have so few shots and create so little chances - players need to just shoot sometimes, and have strikers aware for rebounds.

There were some promising signs, but think some fans are underestimating how organised Lincoln were, and how quick on the break they were......their away record is exceptional and easy to see why.

Over the last 6 games we've played 5 of the top 8 and picked up 11 points, very good return - we are in a position now where we have 12 of 14 games remaining against bottom half teams and we just need to play ourselves into form and gain some momentum

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:08 - Mar 10 with 485 viewsChrisd

Trying to score the perfect goal set Arsenal back years under Wenger. Get back to basics and do those things well, after all we are a L1 outfit not Manchester City. That final third remains a major concern, hopefully PC and his staff can instil some confidence in our players as we get in good positions but fail with that final ball or the crossing lets us down. Last night was a prime example, how many times was the ball comfortably collected by their keeper from wide areas? Plenty to work on, but a decent point and certainly one gained on those immediately above us.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:08 - Mar 10 with 487 viewsPhilTWTD

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:06 - Mar 10 by jayessess

Rogers and Johnson v. Thomas and Bennetts. Absolutely no contest really.
What's happening in their recruitment department that isn't in ours?

Town targeted Rogers before they signed Thomas but he opted to go to Lincoln.
I quite enjoyed the game... on 10:10 - Mar 10 with 477 viewsunstableblue

...as it was two good quality teams trying to play football the right way. And was hugely impressed by Lincoln and the job Appleton has done. There was a spell in the first half when I thought they were going to overrun us, such was their movement and passing, so we did well to hold out.

BUT with the games remaining we have to sort out our attacking shape and energy; as Cook called out in his excellent post match comments, we're simply not creating enough chances, or threatening high up enough.

As you say someof the interplay in midfield approaching the final third was great to watch last night; but then it just fizzles out. We also do not get enough players forward to overload the defence. Dozzell/Bishop need 2 or 3 options not just Norwood.

I thought Lankester had a couple of moments and clearly Cook as seen something in training (in fact the club video shows Jack being called over by our new manager) but the fizz of early season has gone. Edwards as you state is just not supplying, as does Bennets.

A final point is that we are not hitting the byline enough, or driving into the box from the side.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:10 - Mar 10 with 476 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:02 - Mar 10 by Johnny_Boy

Unsure if it’s been mentioned yet, but Appleton has been extremely clever in the loan market.
He’s certainly targeted young hungry attacking players from divisions above L1. Granted, these can’t always work out, but it’s been successful for Lincoln.

At EFL level its pivotal to get 1 or 2 outstanding loan signings to supplement your team.

However, these should ideally be brought in pre-season.

Ending up with a collection of 5-6 loan signings that have been signed last minute is usually a disaster.

If we had recruited Mathieson and Parrott in pre-season, I think they would have been excellent additions (and not under PL!).

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:12 - Mar 10 with 476 viewsjayessess

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:08 - Mar 10 by PhilTWTD

I suppose there's another question there about why we're less persuasive than Lincoln...

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:12 - Mar 10 with 469 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:08 - Mar 10 by PhilTWTD

Sensible lad.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:13 - Mar 10 with 463 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:12 - Mar 10 by jayessess

I suppose there's another question there about why we're less persuasive than Lincoln...

Because we had PL as manager and the atmosphere around the club was toxic, with no obvious style of play.

Hopefully under PC we can become more attractive to good quality loan players and their clubs.

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:16 - Mar 10 with 450 viewsPhilTWTD

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:12 - Mar 10 by jayessess

I assume them being top of the table at the time was part of the draw.
Login to get fewer ads

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:18 - Mar 10 with 448 viewsJohnny_Boy

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:05 - Mar 10 by tractorboy1978

Flip side, Thomas, Harrop, Bennetts, Parrott have all come here in similar circumstances and in the case of the first two, far more experience. The big difference last night for me, was they looked like a team that has been well coached and drilled over a sustained period of time.

For all the hard work Parrott has put in since he’s arrived on loan, there’s no conceivable way he’s been brought in to score goals - because his stats suggest a striker that DOESN’T score goals. You can’t dress that up any other way. So that can only mean he’s been drafted in to help the current strikers score - and yet Lambert ostracised a scoring Kayden Jackson.

I’m firmly in the mindset that you only bring in a striker on loan if you need goals to be scored.
If you are looking for a player to help with assists, you bring in an attacking wide winger, that can occasionally chip in with goals.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2021 10:19]
Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:21 - Mar 10 with 432 viewsJohnny_Boy

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:10 - Mar 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

At EFL level its pivotal to get 1 or 2 outstanding loan signings to supplement your team.

However, these should ideally be brought in pre-season.

Ending up with a collection of 5-6 loan signings that have been signed last minute is usually a disaster.

If we had recruited Mathieson and Parrott in pre-season, I think they would have been excellent additions (and not under PL!).

I’ve always been a bit MEH regarding Appleton, but I’ve been impressed from what I’ve seen with Lincoln. Especially a club of their size.
Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:22 - Mar 10 with 427 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:21 - Mar 10 by Johnny_Boy

I’ve always been a bit MEH regarding Appleton, but I’ve been impressed from what I’ve seen with Lincoln. Especially a club of their size.

I used to be the same, but his record over the last few years is excellent.

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:23 - Mar 10 with 422 viewsdirtyboy

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:08 - Mar 10 by Chrisd

Trying to score the perfect goal set Arsenal back years under Wenger. Get back to basics and do those things well, after all we are a L1 outfit not Manchester City. That final third remains a major concern, hopefully PC and his staff can instil some confidence in our players as we get in good positions but fail with that final ball or the crossing lets us down. Last night was a prime example, how many times was the ball comfortably collected by their keeper from wide areas? Plenty to work on, but a decent point and certainly one gained on those immediately above us.

There were brief signs of trying to do the right thing, a few passes where I could see the intent, but the execution wasn't right, which was probably a lack of confidence and a bit of quality perhaps.

Plus you've now got Cook getting new patterns to work against a team that's been effective all season, so sitting back and taking stock, it wasn't all bad.

Back four can defend fine, their LB can leave most RBs in the league with his pace ( and has ) so all in all, we did okay, but look at the difference in seeing Wilson (my MOTM) step out of defence with the ball and some urgency which really made an impact across the whole pitch in terms of how things opened up, then Nsiala, with 90 seconds to go, standing on the ball then walking, was infuriating, that must stop.

Lincoln were top not so long back and have best away record in league. We're in transition and got a point and didn't play badly at all, so not a bad result, just not the perfection we'd all love.

Cook will have to tinker a little still, Bishop has played well and been asked to do different jobs of late. Dozzell has moments, but is far more capable of passing forwards than his confidence suggests which will make a big difference.

We should have made the change of manager in January, I think we'll be good enough, but just run out of time in terms of getting in the playoffs....

....I think we'll miss out on goal difference.
Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:23 - Mar 10 with 421 viewsJohnny_Boy

Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:16 - Mar 10 by PhilTWTD

I assume them being top of the table at the time was part of the draw.

Discovering he’s got Johnno’s kid on loan is a bit galling.
Not a classic last night, but a decent result all things considered.... on 10:24 - Mar 10 with 419 viewsSenatorBlue

Good OP and thread.

Amazed to see some of the on the fly comments during and after the game calling out Cook and the players. It wasn’t great, and our lack of coaching and short comings were abundantly clear, and it was refreshing to see Cooks appraisal of this post match. Ipswich do not miraculously become Man City from one weeks coaching of the same players.

However, the early evidence that we are finally being coached is there to see. Round pegs in round holes, defensively structured front to back, tactically adjusting in game to an unbelievably strong threat down Lincoln’s left to nullify, there was a plan B. Still 4-2-3-1 but Parrott allowed a more fluid flip between 1 & 2 upfront. The intent to pass quicker, albeit it slowed down as the game wore on (as Lincoln focussed on ensuring Toto was on the ball). I thought Toto played OK by the way. Subs at the right time, having an impact on the game.

It’s still very early days, but so far I like what I see and I hear. Let’s see how it looks after a pre season and a transfer window (and a takeover we hope). I think things will look a little better with the upcoming fixtures.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2021 10:27]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024