Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? 14:07 - Mar 12 with 5387 viewsunstableblue

I've had low back issues on and off for 15 years; poor discs. Normally ends in a spasm and with opioids for a few days tends to clear. I'm pretty fit, and do stretch. Cycle loads. Sadly my swimming which I think was keeping it in check stopped with Lockdown.

Anyway recently I over did some squats and I've entered a whole new ball game - sciatica!

Upsetting number of weeks to be honest, gets you mentally. I'm now on a medical route, consultant, MRI - having for a decade sworn off that approach and focussed on osteopaths and massage. But a bit lost as can't shift it.

Anyone else also have the old lower back dilemma? any tips welcome?

I had been standing at my desk quite a bit during lockdown which I thought was helping. As sitting is of course the devils work... and will be seen as nicotine and booze one day (well sort of).

Anything welcome! I found 4 bottles of moretti initially soothing last night. But ultimately bad.

Think the days of skiing and football are over for me.. boo hoo.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 15:18 - Mar 12 with 1418 viewsElephantintheRoom

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:33 - Mar 12 by Coastalblue

There's a doctor that's never had a prolapsed disc.

Actually back pain is one of the leading symptoms of depression. Treat the depression and back paain goes away... Mind you - i'm sure back pain can give you depression

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 15:20 - Mar 12 with 1431 viewsMookamoo

Had a few issues and before lockdown did a 6 week 'Back Club' course. It was a GP self referral thing that taught us all core strengthening exercises.

When they measured my core strength it was non-existent. Mainly due to being over weight and sitting in front of a computer all day. Basically I need to do 30 mins pilates every two days, reduce stress, drop 2 stone and get up and do 10 mins walking every hour.
Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 15:28 - Mar 12 with 1421 viewsgtsb1966

Ive had lower back pain for years around where the spine and sacrum meet. Could never get it to shift until i took high strength cod liver oil. I couldn't believe something so simple has eased it by about 80%. I take 1000mg every day and started about six months ago. After about a month my lower back pain was the best it has felt for years. Give it a go. You've nothing to lose.
Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 15:29 - Mar 12 with 1411 viewsEdwardStone

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 15:12 - Mar 12 by unstableblue

In the sea of information out there - often contradictory - hot baths and heat on early stage disc,back spasm, is stated as an absolute no no?! so something to think about

My issue seems to be muscle strain caused by lousy posture... the muscles tighten up and squish the nerves

Heat lamp/ hot bath seems to ease the symptoms

Nobody has ever advised against....I shall ask Cairo when I see him next
Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 15:58 - Mar 12 with 1389 viewsSteve_M

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 15:17 - Mar 12 by noggin

I was referred to a back pain class and was told that walking on uneven terrain, helps. This was a few years ago and I can't remember the reason.

Presumably because it stretches joints and muscles more than a regular pattern of walking on flat ground does.

I do remember rocks around a beach in Malta helped with one episode and some more strenuous stuff in Morocco helped (or it would have done had I not had really bad sleep for a week before that trip).

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:04 - Mar 12 with 1386 viewsMookamoo

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 15:58 - Mar 12 by Steve_M

Presumably because it stretches joints and muscles more than a regular pattern of walking on flat ground does.

I do remember rocks around a beach in Malta helped with one episode and some more strenuous stuff in Morocco helped (or it would have done had I not had really bad sleep for a week before that trip).

I was advised to get one of the those wobble cushions to stand on when cooking etc. The uneven, unpredictable motion helps with building your core. Apparently. I suppose it gets different muscles doing different things.
Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:19 - Mar 12 with 1372 viewsSteve_M

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:04 - Mar 12 by Mookamoo

I was advised to get one of the those wobble cushions to stand on when cooking etc. The uneven, unpredictable motion helps with building your core. Apparently. I suppose it gets different muscles doing different things.

Similarly I have a wobbleboard. Fairly good at standing on one leg on that now, albeit one is stronger than the other.

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:26 - Mar 12 with 1365 viewsjeera

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:19 - Mar 12 by Steve_M

Similarly I have a wobbleboard. Fairly good at standing on one leg on that now, albeit one is stronger than the other.

I'm guessing/hoping you don't stand on that one-legged whilst standing at the cooker Steve!

What could possibly go wrong?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:29 - Mar 12 with 1357 viewsRyorry

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:04 - Mar 12 by Mookamoo

Yes, I think it's very much that - when I was on a back pain management course (also recommended) we were taught that it was *esential* to do kinetic exercises to strengthen core muscles *before* progressing to the stage of doing any swimming, as you could worsen your spinal problems by using swimming muscles without prior conditioning to make them strong enough to keep your spine stable. Kinetic exercises were, eg, doing the 'cat' - hands & knees on the floor, squeeze your back muscles together against each other towards the middle. I kept my spine level during this, tho I think the modern technique may be to arch your back - I wouldn't risk doing that, and keep it very gentle esp when starting.

Contrary to contemporary thinking, I always found that when a disc went properly 'out', the only thing that would sort that was rest, lying flat or on my side most of the time, with just small gentle walks of very short distances a few times a day, pain permitting. GP agreed. You have to learn to listen to what your body's telling you. Always recovered after 10-12 weeks of resting like that.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:29 - Mar 12 with 1363 viewsChondzoresk

I suffer from Ankylosing Spondylitis since I was 23. I’m now 51. Basically a severe form of arthritis in the spine. No cure. Keep active, fit, eat well. Give up booze and fags. The mental stuff is more difficult. It’s an unseen disability. You will get there. Be brave. PM me if you need support. Good luck bro.
Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:31 - Mar 12 with 1361 viewsMedwayTractor

Think you'll find that sciatica is the symptom, not the cause of your pain. Sciatica means pressure somewhere on the sciatic nerve, commonly from a prolapsed spinal disc.

That's what I had nearly 40 years ago, I was sent to a physiotherapist for traction and ultrasound massage. This treated the symptom, but not the cause. A few years later, my back had seized up almost to the point of not being able to bend over. I was fortunate enough to find that one of the country's top qualified chiropractors (at one time she was an examiner for trainee chiropractors) had opened a practice near me and I was referred to her by my GP. At that time, I had private medical cover with my job and that paid for her treatment. She fixed the back & the sciatica disappeared.

She is retired now, but became a family friend. She might be able to recommend a chiropractor near you, send me a PM & I'll ask, if you think it would help.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:32 - Mar 12 with 1361 viewsbluefunk

I had lower back pain and sciatica, and had physio to relieve it, which it did for a while each time I had the treatment, but until I exercised properly, with the support of a personal trainer, it never really went away. He had me doing yoga moves as well as weights to strengthen muscles and improve mobility and I’ve not suffered since.

If you’re going down that route then make sure the PT has proper experience and a high level qualification so you avoid the ones who’ve just done a 3 week course.
THANKS EVERYONE, much appreciated, good TWTD hive mind example (n/t) on 16:37 - Mar 12 with 1352 viewsunstableblue

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:38 - Mar 12 with 1345 viewsRyorry

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 15:01 - Mar 12 by unstableblue

Thanks Ryorry, sounds like you've been on a real journey there. There is a good book called the Back Mechanic that mirrors a lot of what you say. Especially the bending - all about the hips, shoulders and knees as the fulcrum not the spine itself.

Yes surgery of lower back has a very bad image, but I think has improved of late. But I have a real fear of it to be honest!

Accu-pressure Shiatsu type approaches - not the hardcore stuff - has also been highly recommended.

All the best.

Thanks Unstable - 'The Back Mechanic' looks v. interesting & got some good reviews - see particularly the 5th one down here, from 'Kay' who says she's a physician/surgeon -

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28766669-back-mechanic#other_reviews

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:38 - Mar 12 with 1347 viewsjeera

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:19 - Mar 12 by Steve_M

I now want one, so what am I looking for?

There seems to be a few types from the rounded to the warped skateboard looking sort.

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:43 - Mar 12 with 1346 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:33 - Mar 12 by Coastalblue

There's a doctor that's never had a prolapsed disc.

Perhaps not as much as 70% but there is definitely a psychological component to pain, especially chronic pain. It's also well known that tissue changes highlighted on MRIs don't always equate to back pain. I.e. you can have one scan which looks perfect but the patient has terrible pain, and one patient whose scan looks terrible but the patient has no pain or problems at all.

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:48 - Mar 12 with 1331 viewsRyorry

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 15:18 - Mar 12 by ElephantintheRoom

Actually back pain is one of the leading symptoms of depression. Treat the depression and back paain goes away... Mind you - i'm sure back pain can give you depression

"i'm sure back pain can give you depression"

Absolutely 100% definitely

"Treat the depression and back paain goes away.."

Well maybe, sometimes for some people. In the 21stC, with MRI scanning & all the other techniques of modern medicine at their disposal, it'd be completely irresponsible for medics not to investigate thoroughly for possible physical causation first tho.

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:49 - Mar 12 with 1331 viewsSteve_M

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:38 - Mar 12 by jeera

I now want one, so what am I looking for?

There seems to be a few types from the rounded to the warped skateboard looking sort.

This kind of thing is what I've got, ideal for building core muscles over time. Plus it doesn't take up much space.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Core-Balance-Training-Exercise-Rehabilitation/dp/B07FP1

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:52 - Mar 12 with 1329 viewsjeera

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:49 - Mar 12 by Steve_M

This kind of thing is what I've got, ideal for building core muscles over time. Plus it doesn't take up much space.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Core-Balance-Training-Exercise-Rehabilitation/dp/B07FP1

Yeah I need to be looking at those, thanks.

Got an issue I think that might be helpful for.

Nice one.

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:53 - Mar 12 with 1324 viewsRyorry

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:43 - Mar 12 by ThisIsMyUsername

Perhaps not as much as 70% but there is definitely a psychological component to pain, especially chronic pain. It's also well known that tissue changes highlighted on MRIs don't always equate to back pain. I.e. you can have one scan which looks perfect but the patient has terrible pain, and one patient whose scan looks terrible but the patient has no pain or problems at all.

One reason for that can be differing individual widths of the spinal canal. The reason I've had so many problems is congenital - I'm tall, skinny, & was born with an unusually narrow spinal canal, so there's literally less wriggle room for any bulging disc, it's always immediately onto the cord/nerves.

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:59 - Mar 12 with 1324 viewsEdwardStone

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:49 - Mar 12 by Steve_M

Thanks Steve

I have just ordered one

I'm ready to wobble

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 17:04 - Mar 12 with 1316 viewsWacko

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 14:46 - Mar 12 by unstableblue

Often wondered that - in the mind! I have a intense and often stressful job (sometimes very rewarding). And have often wondered if that was a factor. But I'd suggest its as much about the sitting as anything else.

I do think endorphins from exercise - watching the Town score,are great for pain. And sleep.

But when I've been very relaxed on holiday, skiing or wind surfing, I'm still getting the back symptoms. And also I have had mates with prolapsed discs etc, and that was not in their mind!!!

To be clear, the doctor didn't say it was all imaginary - just that the physical pain was far often caused by psychological factors than not. So for example your intense job -> stress -> prolonged muscle tension -> chronic pain.

Not knowing anything about you, it does sound like you have a more 'high octane' life than most (including very active 'relaxing' holidays ;) ) so maybe there's something in it. I would also try yoga - more for its meditational benefits than any physical ones, as it does help you to shut off (and I'm talking as someone who was very sceptical and who finds most of this stuff utterly pretentious)

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 17:17 - Mar 12 with 1303 viewsRyorry

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 17:04 - Mar 12 by Wacko

To be clear, the doctor didn't say it was all imaginary - just that the physical pain was far often caused by psychological factors than not. So for example your intense job -> stress -> prolonged muscle tension -> chronic pain.

Not knowing anything about you, it does sound like you have a more 'high octane' life than most (including very active 'relaxing' holidays ;) ) so maybe there's something in it. I would also try yoga - more for its meditational benefits than any physical ones, as it does help you to shut off (and I'm talking as someone who was very sceptical and who finds most of this stuff utterly pretentious)

Anyone trying yoga for the first time should be careful & take it *very* gently. It was doing a 'spinal twist' at my first yoga class that actually caused one of my discs to go 'out' for the first time.

Same applies to any new activity of course.

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 17:20 - Mar 12 with 1302 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:53 - Mar 12 by Ryorry

One reason for that can be differing individual widths of the spinal canal. The reason I've had so many problems is congenital - I'm tall, skinny, & was born with an unusually narrow spinal canal, so there's literally less wriggle room for any bulging disc, it's always immediately onto the cord/nerves.

So like a congential spinal stenosis, or something that doesn't have a name as such?

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 17:22 - Mar 12 with 1297 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Any lower back sufferers on TWTD? on 16:48 - Mar 12 by Ryorry

"i'm sure back pain can give you depression"

Absolutely 100% definitely

"Treat the depression and back paain goes away.."

Well maybe, sometimes for some people. In the 21stC, with MRI scanning & all the other techniques of modern medicine at their disposal, it'd be completely irresponsible for medics not to investigate thoroughly for possible physical causation first tho.

A lot depends on your symptoms. If you have strong neurological symptoms then a scan might be more indicated. If just pain, a scan isn't very useful like I say.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024