Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time to forget the past now 17:15 - Mar 15 with 4917 viewschrismakin

Bit of a shame regarding take over but also could be a blessing when you have no idea how it would have ended up. Lots of clubs have gone onto better things following a take over but plenty have gone the other way even more so than us under Evans.

Time to get behind everyone at the club now. We hope ME has learnt from Lambert in regards to structure and hopefully Paul Cook will also be vocal and get things in place we need.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Time to forget the past now on 20:39 - Mar 15 with 450 viewsJ2BLUE

Time to forget the past now on 20:37 - Mar 15 by chrismakin

I havent said we belong here. I said we are lower league club which is true. League 1 is lower league. You only have to compare the potential wage limits they were looking to bring in to see the different the efl sees between the championship and league 1.

Do you agree we're here because of Evans? Under his leadership we've been on one long decline. We are only where we are because of him. He hasn't done it deliberately and he's not a bad man but he isn't a good owner. The fact there are worse owners out there don't make him a good one.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Time to forget the past now on 20:41 - Mar 15 with 439 viewshaynes_toe1

Time to forget the past now on 20:31 - Mar 15 by chrismakin

We are a lower league club.

Mick was a solid appointment at the time for where we were. Cook is that same sort of hiring for where we are as a club.

Cook spoke with Cardiff and Sheff Wed
[Post edited 15 Mar 2021 20:32]

Cooke may have spoke but it doesn't mean he was offered the job.

It's not like he turned down Cardiff in the hope League One Ipswich would come calling.
Time to forget the past now on 20:45 - Mar 15 with 432 viewsMattinLondon

Time to forget the past now on 20:39 - Mar 15 by J2BLUE

Do you agree we're here because of Evans? Under his leadership we've been on one long decline. We are only where we are because of him. He hasn't done it deliberately and he's not a bad man but he isn't a good owner. The fact there are worse owners out there don't make him a good one.

There hasn’t really been any kind of leadership baring meaningless sound bites.

Everything around the club is decaying and rotting and it’s all down to Evans.
Time to forget the past now on 20:46 - Mar 15 with 429 viewschrismakin

Time to forget the past now on 20:39 - Mar 15 by J2BLUE

No. He hired managers at the time well received by supporters. He also backed each manager which none of them can claim any different.

Would I agree he has got alot wrong. Yes. But hes also made managerial appointments that at the time seemed correct but failed and not because of Marcus. And that's the only reason we are where we are.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Time to forget the past now on 20:46 - Mar 15 with 425 viewshaynes_toe1

Time to forget the past now on 20:46 - Mar 15 by chrismakin

No. He hired managers at the time well received by supporters. He also backed each manager which none of them can claim any different.

Would I agree he has got alot wrong. Yes. But hes also made managerial appointments that at the time seemed correct but failed and not because of Marcus. And that's the only reason we are where we are.

Wow. Hot take.
Time to forget the past now on 20:47 - Mar 15 with 425 viewschrismakin

Time to forget the past now on 20:41 - Mar 15 by haynes_toe1

Cooke may have spoke but it doesn't mean he was offered the job.

It's not like he turned down Cardiff in the hope League One Ipswich would come calling.

He didnt want a short term contract no. Fair play to him.

Time to forget the past now on 20:51 - Mar 15 with 412 viewsMattinLondon

Not strictly correct. A lot of people questioned the appointment of Keane, Jewell as well as Lambert.

All failed and the reasons for their failings has a lot to do with Evans and his ego.
Time to forget the past now on 20:51 - Mar 15 with 409 viewsJ2BLUE

A revisionist history. Agree on the managers being generally well received. No argument there. From MM onwards none of them have been backed properly at a level which would allow us to compete.

He's turned a few bids down but selling Murphy on deadline day is the kind of decision which has got us where we are. He is not capable of backing us at a level where we can compete.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

Time to forget the past now on 20:51 - Mar 15 with 409 viewsPJH

Time to forget the past now on 20:47 - Mar 15 by chrismakin

He didnt want a short term contract no. Fair play to him.

I agree that it is fair enough him not wanting something short term but on the other hand if he is as wonderful as some seem to believe why was he not offered something longer term?

I think MM initially went to Cardiff on a short term deal, perhaps Cook could have gone there on a short term deal and done as well as MM has so far and got himself a longer contract.
Time to forget the past now on 20:53 - Mar 15 with 404 viewschrismakin

Time to forget the past now on 20:51 - Mar 15 by MattinLondon

Not strictly correct. A lot of people questioned the appointment of Keane, Jewell as well as Lambert.

All failed and the reasons for their failings has a lot to do with Evans and his ego.

Lol. Enlighten me how ME and his ego meant they all failed as managers

Time to forget the past now on 20:55 - Mar 15 with 399 viewschrismakin

Time to forget the past now on 20:51 - Mar 15 by PJH

I agree that it is fair enough him not wanting something short term but on the other hand if he is as wonderful as some seem to believe why was he not offered something longer term?

I think MM initially went to Cardiff on a short term deal, perhaps Cook could have gone there on a short term deal and done as well as MM has so far and got himself a longer contract.

Why would you accept a short term deal when there were other managers jobs on the line elsewhere. I wouldnt have. Sensible decision for me

Time to forget the past now on 21:00 - Mar 15 with 390 viewschrismakin

Time to forget the past now on 20:51 - Mar 15 by J2BLUE

A revisionist history. Agree on the managers being generally well received. No argument there. From MM onwards none of them have been backed properly at a level which would allow us to compete.

He's turned a few bids down but selling Murphy on deadline day is the kind of decision which has got us where we are. He is not capable of backing us at a level where we can compete.

The sale of Murphy was very strange. However I cant see that being forced upon Mick without his input.. after all weve declined many bids for players in the past.. not forgetting the Mcgoldrick offer which Evans rejected... now for all his lack of apparent investment he was always against selling too soon to and would discuss heavily with the management before doing so.. so the Murphy sale is very random and goes completely against any other player sale we had done before that.

I agree in transfer fees we havent seen alot spent.. but on wages. Sign on and loanee fees we have spent a very tidy sum for a club which lacks investment.

The problem has been apart from Mick, the rest of the managers failed to correctly use the funds available. And more importantly failed to improve anyone already at the club.

Time to forget the past now on 21:04 - Mar 15 with 371 viewsJ2BLUE

Time to forget the past now on 21:00 - Mar 15 by chrismakin

The sale of Murphy was very strange. However I cant see that being forced upon Mick without his input.. after all weve declined many bids for players in the past.. not forgetting the Mcgoldrick offer which Evans rejected... now for all his lack of apparent investment he was always against selling too soon to and would discuss heavily with the management before doing so.. so the Murphy sale is very random and goes completely against any other player sale we had done before that.

I agree in transfer fees we havent seen alot spent.. but on wages. Sign on and loanee fees we have spent a very tidy sum for a club which lacks investment.

The problem has been apart from Mick, the rest of the managers failed to correctly use the funds available. And more importantly failed to improve anyone already at the club.

At the end of the day football moved on and that isn't the fault of Evans but it does mean we can't compete under him. While other clubs spent fees in the millions and signed players capable of challenging for promotion we were signing players like Giles Coke and loanees like Kevin Bru.

We cannot compete in the Championship. Cook might paper over the cracks and get us back there but once back we'll be exposed again under Evans.

Truly impaired.

Time to forget the past now on 21:08 - Mar 15 with 366 viewschrismakin

Time to forget the past now on 21:04 - Mar 15 by J2BLUE

At the end of the day football moved on and that isn't the fault of Evans but it does mean we can't compete under him. While other clubs spent fees in the millions and signed players capable of challenging for promotion we were signing players like Giles Coke and loanees like Kevin Bru.

We cannot compete in the Championship. Cook might paper over the cracks and get us back there but once back we'll be exposed again under Evans.

But that's where I in part agree with you on ME

I think hes an ok owner for a lower championship side. To go further we would need a new owner. But only because football as you say has moved on and he cant go further than what he has done.

Time to forget the past now on 21:11 - Mar 15 with 359 viewsclive_baker

Time to forget the past now on 21:00 - Mar 15 by chrismakin

It wasn’t strange at all. £3.5m for a 33 year old was perfectly understandable business.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Time to forget the past now on 21:14 - Mar 15 with 352 viewschrismakin

Time to forget the past now on 21:11 - Mar 15 by clive_baker

It wasn’t strange at all. £3.5m for a 33 year old was perfectly understandable business.

It was for the timing of such a sale tbh

Time to forget the past now on 21:16 - Mar 15 with 344 viewsJ2BLUE

Time to forget the past now on 21:08 - Mar 15 by chrismakin

But that's where I in part agree with you on ME

I think hes an ok owner for a lower championship side. To go further we would need a new owner. But only because football as you say has moved on and he cant go further than what he has done.

This is my point, we weren't a lower Championship side when he bought us. You've now said we're a league one side. A lower Championship side. It's literally because this is where he has taken us. Connect the dots!

Truly impaired.

Time to forget the past now on 21:17 - Mar 15 with 342 viewshaynes_toe1

Time to forget the past now on 20:55 - Mar 15 by chrismakin

Why would you accept a short term deal when there were other managers jobs on the line elsewhere. I wouldnt have. Sensible decision for me

We don't know he definitely turned down Cardiff or anything. Entirely possible they turned him down. Contract length or not.

Everyone wants Cook to work out. But your assumption he is this excellent manager we are lucky to have is pretty tinpot. His only real successes being in League One and Two, mostly two. With only one promotion into the championship.
Time to forget the past now on 21:26 - Mar 15 with 333 viewschrismakin

Time to forget the past now on 21:16 - Mar 15 by J2BLUE

This is my point, we weren't a lower Championship side when he bought us. You've now said we're a league one side. A lower Championship side. It's literally because this is where he has taken us. Connect the dots!

I'm calling us a league side J2 as they exactly what we are... how can I call us anything else when we are in league 1.

Time to forget the past now on 21:28 - Mar 15 with 330 viewschrismakin

Time to forget the past now on 21:17 - Mar 15 by haynes_toe1

We don't know he definitely turned down Cardiff or anything. Entirely possible they turned him down. Contract length or not.

Everyone wants Cook to work out. But your assumption he is this excellent manager we are lucky to have is pretty tinpot. His only real successes being in League One and Two, mostly two. With only one promotion into the championship.

It's called being realistic

You tell me out of all available managers who would be a better choice than Paul Cook.

Just 1. And why

Time to forget the past now on 21:29 - Mar 15 with 326 viewsJ2BLUE

Time to forget the past now on 21:26 - Mar 15 by chrismakin

I'm calling us a league side J2 as they exactly what we are... how can I call us anything else when we are in league 1.

Way to duck the point!

Truly impaired.

Time to forget the past now on 21:30 - Mar 15 with 324 viewschrismakin

Time to forget the past now on 21:29 - Mar 15 by J2BLUE

Way to duck the point!

Just answering your question.

I've already agreed with you that certain things Evan's failed on. But more importantly his managers have failed more.

Time to forget the past now on 22:21 - Mar 15 with 291 viewsPJH

Time to forget the past now on 20:55 - Mar 15 by chrismakin

True-as you say, he might not have done as well as MM has so far at Cardiff.
Time to forget the past now on 22:41 - Mar 15 with 274 viewshaynes_toe1

Time to forget the past now on 21:28 - Mar 15 by chrismakin

It's called being realistic

You tell me out of all available managers who would be a better choice than Paul Cook.

Just 1. And why

I'm relatively happy with Paul Cook but it's not some massive coup where we've grabbed a manager from a championship promotion team. We need him and he needs us. 90% of his career has been operating at this level or below.

What I'm objecting to is this weird assumption he's going to be good rather than just taking an objective look. He has one win out of three and very little has changed. Hopefully it will materialise soon.

You said you hope Cook is vocal about changes that need to be made - that's exactly what Lambert done and was soon no longer our manager. Evans has been a mitigated disaster and the trend has been a consistent downturn ever since he first came in - he's yet to sort out the structure of the football club or invest in the right things.
Time to forget the past now on 23:14 - Mar 15 with 260 viewsreusersfreekicks

Time to forget the past now on 17:50 - Mar 15 by chrismakin

I dont know.

I'll wait to see what his structure plans are for the summer

Arf
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024