Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do you think we will go cashless? 12:59 - Mar 23 with 1785 viewsIP4_Blue

I think we will can see it already now I never have cash on me use my phone to pay.
Just need cali grill to get a card machine now ha
Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:07 - Mar 23 with 535 viewsVaughan8

Do you think we will go cashless? on 15:57 - Mar 23 by bluelagos

Only works where you have a phone signal though. Plenty of places where it's not easy. Also, say you are a visitor to the UK from outside the EU. You face quite high phone charges if you are using your phone / banking apps everytime you want a coffee. Also plenty of European petrol stations that struggle with UK credit cards.

Not saying cashless won't continue to grow, it will. But I don't see cash disappearing in the next 20 years.

I'm sure there are alternatives, but I know Halifax have a credit card that they do not charge you for using it abroad. I have this card purely for that, otherwise it is never used.

I'm sure there must be other ones in the UK and abroad.

Personally I found it a lot better using a card abroad as it save you carrying around a load of cash and/or leaving it in your accomodation.

But obviously there are certain places that still only take cash.
Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:09 - Mar 23 with 527 viewsMattinLondon

Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:04 - Mar 23 by bluelagos

Just pointing out some reasons why we won't go cashless. Practical reasons, nothing more. (The elderly and visitors)

If we can get a system that works across borders without high bank charges then great.

I usually use Caxton as it goes - but one real problem - you fill up with petrol and they block 100 euros on your card until the final amount is cleared - sometimes 2 or 3 weeks later. So I have happily put 500 Euros on the card for a holiday and my card is then declined after 5 petrol fills. Hence why for petrol, I will always use cash where ever possible.

Am not against cashless, merely pointing out it has it's limitations.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2021 16:10]

Such limitations will disappear over time. The elderly will die and get replaced by a generation used to contactless etc. Other countries will catch-up and infrastructure will get better.

Eventually cash will go but not for years.
Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:10 - Mar 23 with 523 viewsbluelagos

Do you think we will go cashless? on 15:59 - Mar 23 by J2BLUE

Look into a cash passport. Free withdrawals if you get the right one and backed by Mastercard. Avoid the Visa ones as they tend to be Visa Electron unless they've changed in the last couple of years.

See below ref Caxton. Used it for a few years, but it's not without it's issues.

I tend to take a mix. Load up my Caxton, take some cash and always a Visa and a Mastercard.

To minimise charges, I reckon Caxton and/or cash are the cheapest. Caxton very good for security (compared to wads of cash).

Very much depends where you are too. Fck all way I am using a credit card in Nigeria any time soon.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:11 - Mar 23 with 517 viewsJ2BLUE

Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:10 - Mar 23 by bluelagos

See below ref Caxton. Used it for a few years, but it's not without it's issues.

I tend to take a mix. Load up my Caxton, take some cash and always a Visa and a Mastercard.

To minimise charges, I reckon Caxton and/or cash are the cheapest. Caxton very good for security (compared to wads of cash).

Very much depends where you are too. Fck all way I am using a credit card in Nigeria any time soon.

Sounds like a good plan. I never recommended anyone take 100% on a card or in cash. Just too reliant on one system.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:12 - Mar 23 with 509 viewsbluelagos

Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:09 - Mar 23 by MattinLondon

Such limitations will disappear over time. The elderly will die and get replaced by a generation used to contactless etc. Other countries will catch-up and infrastructure will get better.

Eventually cash will go but not for years.

That is exactly the point I was trying to make. Same with Electric cars. We will get there, but not in the next 20 years.

Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:13 - Mar 23 with 506 viewsGiant_Midget

I went to Stockholm about 3 years ago, and it was pretty much cashless there, even paying to use a toilet required payment via card.
Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:13 - Mar 23 with 504 viewsBluefish

Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:04 - Mar 23 by bluelagos

Just pointing out some reasons why we won't go cashless. Practical reasons, nothing more. (The elderly and visitors)

If we can get a system that works across borders without high bank charges then great.

I usually use Caxton as it goes - but one real problem - you fill up with petrol and they block 100 euros on your card until the final amount is cleared - sometimes 2 or 3 weeks later. So I have happily put 500 Euros on the card for a holiday and my card is then declined after 5 petrol fills. Hence why for petrol, I will always use cash where ever possible.

Am not against cashless, merely pointing out it has it's limitations.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2021 16:10]

I used to have one of those cards but signed up for Halifax clarity instead. It is great and makes cashless abroad so easy

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:15 - Mar 23 with 499 viewsbluelagos

Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:11 - Mar 23 by J2BLUE

Sounds like a good plan. I never recommended anyone take 100% on a card or in cash. Just too reliant on one system.

The other issue is ATM charges. There are places in South America where each withdrawl is like $8. When there is also a $100 max wtihdrawl limit, it becomes very expensive.

Caxton card is sold on no ATM charges, but there are if the bank charges it.

Tap and go in Bolivia - ain't happening sadly. Bigger cities like Santiago, no problem at all.

Login to get fewer ads

Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:16 - Mar 23 with 496 viewsBluefish

Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:10 - Mar 23 by bluelagos

I was also v pissed trying to settle a large bill in Brussels on a Sunday night. I didn't realise the funds went on but didn't update the balance until the Monday. I ended up putting quit w lot of money on in error

Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:17 - Mar 23 with 493 viewsbluelagos

Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:13 - Mar 23 by Bluefish

I used to have one of those cards but signed up for Halifax clarity instead. It is great and makes cashless abroad so easy

Is that a preload one or linked to a current account?

Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:17 - Mar 23 with 489 viewsBluefish

Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:17 - Mar 23 by bluelagos

Is that a preload one or linked to a current account?

Works as credit card

Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:28 - Mar 23 with 485 viewsjudespiveyg

Do you think we will go cashless? on 15:53 - Mar 23 by monytowbray

True, but let's not forget the wider reality it's not just tax but a need/right to do things behind the back of authority that can summarise a lot of cash transactions.

That can include drugs (which is a debate in itself about prohibition), sex work (which is a human rights issue discussion on it's own again), communities on local buy/sell groups, third party corporations taking a cut of sales and various other elements outside of tax.

A lot of the demand for cashless comes from big business who want your money flowing in their systems to control and set their cut (FB/Paypal/Etc) as well as government, although the two are practically the same group these days!
[Post edited 23 Mar 2021 16:05]

And if we take the argument of reducing tax evasion, it definitely won't stop the big corporations (i.e. the biggest and most unashamed tax avoiders) from continuing as they have been. Amazon and Google's tax avoidance isn't because of cash.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:38 - Mar 23 with 463 viewsSwansea_Blue

Do you think we will go cashless? on 14:54 - Mar 23 by Oldsmoker

Off to the Laundrette to use their mega machine. I need to wash a blanket and it won't fit in a standard machine.
Coins required.

A question for you gamblers.
How would you feel if a slot machine didn't dump a load of coin when you won but instead gave a digital readout of your winnings. I don't think it would give you the buzz that coins clattering into the pay tray would have.

I'm sure Dot Cotton would take other forms of payment!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Do you think we will go cashless? (n/t) on 17:00 - Mar 23 with 453 viewsWeWereZombies

Do you think we will go cashless? on 16:15 - Mar 23 by bluelagos

The other issue is ATM charges. There are places in South America where each withdrawl is like $8. When there is also a $100 max wtihdrawl limit, it becomes very expensive.

Caxton card is sold on no ATM charges, but there are if the bank charges it.

Tap and go in Bolivia - ain't happening sadly. Bigger cities like Santiago, no problem at all.

There is also the issue of, if you are unfortunate, getting held up and not having any cash on you. A hundred dollars may seem a lot to lose but saying goodbye to that is a lot less painful than saying goodbye to some teeth.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2021 17:02]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Do you think we will go cashless? (n/t) on 17:08 - Mar 23 with 446 viewsbluelagos

Do you think we will go cashless? (n/t) on 17:00 - Mar 23 by WeWereZombies

There is also the issue of, if you are unfortunate, getting held up and not having any cash on you. A hundred dollars may seem a lot to lose but saying goodbye to that is a lot less painful than saying goodbye to some teeth.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2021 17:02]

Our security brief when I first went to Lagos was to carry "robbing money" and to always have some in the home too. When I queried this I was told "There's one thing worse than meeting an armed robber, and that's meeting an angry armed robber."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024