Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vive la France! 13:19 - Apr 12 with 1336 viewsNthQldITFC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56716708

Bravo! Let's see if Blue Boris has really got any Green in him, and can put his money where his mouth is and follow suit.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Vive la France! on 13:25 - Apr 12 with 1278 viewsGuthrum

Makes sense. By the time you've faffed around with the airport (including travel to out-of-town ones), the train is probably quicker anyway.

Only issue in the UK would be train tickets being four times the price of airline ones.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Vive la France! on 13:26 - Apr 12 with 1270 viewsFreddies_Ears

Kind of helps that in France a 2 hour train journey takes you 300+ miles. Here it takes you about half that distance! Good on them, though!the

I've done the Paris to Italy train several times, and it's bloomin' great. 6 hours or so from city centre bar to city centre bar, with no hassle.
Vive la France! on 13:28 - Apr 12 with 1259 viewsNthQldITFC

Vive la France! on 13:25 - Apr 12 by Guthrum

Makes sense. By the time you've faffed around with the airport (including travel to out-of-town ones), the train is probably quicker anyway.

Only issue in the UK would be train tickets being four times the price of airline ones.

How about nationalising and subsidising the entire rail system at the same time? It is a basic infrastructure asset after all.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Vive la France! on 13:37 - Apr 12 with 1232 viewsGuthrum

Vive la France! on 13:28 - Apr 12 by NthQldITFC

How about nationalising and subsidising the entire rail system at the same time? It is a basic infrastructure asset after all.

Quietly, it is sort of already happening. The franchise system is being dismantled, region by region.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Vive la France! on 14:04 - Apr 12 with 1179 viewsHARRY10

Vive la France! on 13:28 - Apr 12 by NthQldITFC

Ironically many UK franchises are currently run by German and French state railways
Vive la France! on 14:44 - Apr 12 with 1128 viewslightuser

Digressing a bit, but...I'm sure that many years ago I saw an article or tv program that said that these projects/targets are just pissing in the wind.

The main contibuter to man made global warming and pollution (over and above everything else combined), is farming animals for meat.

It's why I disagree with XR/Greenpeace etc. Their aims are "wishy washy" and their targets not central to the actual problem.

Everyone should just be looking at the meat on their dinner plates, realizing that that is the problem and doing what you know you should be doing but aren't (with all of the mental gymnastics that that entails).

Fwiw, I'm now vegetarian, mainly because I don't wish to have a living being killed purely for my eating pleasure (not sustenence because we can get our food energy requirements from elsewhere). The massive reduction in my carbon footprint is obviously an additional bonus.

And my apologies for a little bit of a simplistic post. But the data is easily available online and I don't know how to link. :-))
Vive la France! on 14:59 - Apr 12 with 1112 viewsPinewoodblue

Meanwhile the French government is set to double its stake in Air France pumping in over €4billion.

Reducing the number of wood burners in homes would have a bigger impact on global warning.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Vive la France! on 15:01 - Apr 12 with 1104 viewsDanTheMan

Vive la France! on 14:59 - Apr 12 by Pinewoodblue

Meanwhile the French government is set to double its stake in Air France pumping in over €4billion.

Reducing the number of wood burners in homes would have a bigger impact on global warning.

"But why do wood burners when there is X that will make a bigger contribution?"

This sort of reasoning just means absolutely nothing gets done. It's going to take sacrifices from all sectors to get us to where we need to be.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Vive la France! on 15:22 - Apr 12 with 1066 viewsbrazil1982

Vive la France! on 13:26 - Apr 12 by Freddies_Ears

Kind of helps that in France a 2 hour train journey takes you 300+ miles. Here it takes you about half that distance! Good on them, though!the

I've done the Paris to Italy train several times, and it's bloomin' great. 6 hours or so from city centre bar to city centre bar, with no hassle.

Maybe the UK needs some sort of high speed rail?....
Vive la France! on 15:33 - Apr 12 with 1048 viewsStokieBlue

Good move.

Norway are also looking at this issue and given that 2.5 hours isn't going to get you far on their railways (it took me about 8 hours from Oslo to Bergen although it was a fabulous journey) they are looking to make all internal flights electric:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20180814-norways-plan-for-a-fleet-of-electric

Difficult to do given the power to weight ratio needed but good they are trying.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Vive la France! on 18:35 - Apr 12 with 942 viewsLeaky

Wonder if its got anything to do with Eurostar being skint?
Vive la France! on 19:06 - Apr 12 with 903 views26_Paz

Good to see. Would be interesting to see it applied cross borders ... London - Paris for example.

The Paz Man

Vive la France! on 19:42 - Apr 12 with 859 viewsStokieBlue

Vive la France! on 18:35 - Apr 12 by Leaky

Wonder if its got anything to do with Eurostar being skint?

How many point to point journeys does the Eurostar make within France.

Pretty sure it's zero.

Don't let things like facts get in the way of a conspiratorial point though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Vive la France! on 21:32 - Apr 12 with 782 viewshatch

Vive la France! on 13:37 - Apr 12 by Guthrum

Quietly, it is sort of already happening. The franchise system is being dismantled, region by region.

I’m in the industry and I expect big changes this year. Sounds like we’ll hear more soon as government ‘bailout’ of the rail industry concludes in late May. Quite rightly we’re being told to be quite cost driven whilst customer comfort and interior focus is also being vocalised. Will be an interesting year.
Vive la France! on 02:24 - Apr 13 with 679 viewsEireannach_gorm

Vive la France! on 15:33 - Apr 12 by StokieBlue

Good move.

Norway are also looking at this issue and given that 2.5 hours isn't going to get you far on their railways (it took me about 8 hours from Oslo to Bergen although it was a fabulous journey) they are looking to make all internal flights electric:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20180814-norways-plan-for-a-fleet-of-electric

Difficult to do given the power to weight ratio needed but good they are trying.

SB

Long extension lead.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024