Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
[Redacted] 21:00 - Apr 19 with 3151 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 17:14 - Apr 20 with 883 viewsStokieBlue

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 17:08 - Apr 20 by The_Flashing_Smile

Not really, no.

If you're talking about the music, I haven't listened to much of the more recent stuff if I'm honest.

I know the Chinese thing was down to his extreme views on animal welfare rather than racism, but I'm not into rows these days so I don't want to go further than that. If some of you want to think he's a silly old sausage these days I'd agree to a certain extent, but a he's still a genius to my mind. The idea that the lead screamer of Deep Heat thinks The Smiths were sh!t just makes me smile. Most of the people who slag Morrissey off haven't done a 10th of what he has with their lives.

Fairy nuff, each to their own. I'm sure he worries far less than those who worry about him. What I find weird is he's not a politician, so why do people even care that much? I always find it odd how people get so upset by celebrities. See also Coldplay. The grief they get on TWTD baffles me. I really have no opinion on Coldplay. The anger with anyone remotely successful says more about the angry person.

I see, also, someone posting that smoking dope in your garden is the act of a loser. Someone posting that on a football forum without a hint of irony.

People are different. If they're not affecting your life don't worry about it.

I agree with that up to a point.

However to expand the point away from Morrisey and into a more generalised realm, with fame comes some level of responsibility and you are essentially giving anyone with fame a free pass to do what they like even though what they say and do can often influence other people.

Given this, what they say can directly impact many lives.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 17:40 - Apr 20 with 858 viewsLord_Lucan

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 16:12 - Apr 20 by HARRY10

Morrissey was never more that a pretentious twt whining out self pitying shi,te to middle class cretins with first world problems - that focussed on how life could sometimes be a bit unfair to their delicate little souls

Not really sure why you are directing this to me as I haven't offered an opinion on either Morrissey or The Smiths.

Fact is I never liked them but that's irrelevant.

Peter Hook once said to Morrissey "You'll always be jealous of Joy Division because Ian Curtis actually had the guts to kill himself.

Thing is with all this Dolly / Morrissey thing though is that to me it seems like it's a bit of a snidey put down on Dolly with all the great and good knowing it will get a response and others will pile in.

I don't see people criticising Sex Pistols fans because Lydon voted Trump, supports Brexit and has said how much he likes Farage.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 17:45 - Apr 20 with 846 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 17:12 - Apr 20 by Herbivore

Do you honestly think people think Morrissey is a jeb-end because he's successful? That's really not why, mate. Why do people care? Maybe because they think those with a platform shouldn't use it to spread hate and bile, and if they do they should get called out on it?

Does Morrissey really have a platform? Other than the outrage from others, I never hear from him. And I'm a fan. His social media must be rubbish. It's like the people who complain to the Daily Mail about a programme they never saw but heard about on the Daily Mail. The only time I hear about Morrissey on TWTD is from people complaining about him. If you don't like it, stop spreading it!

Coldplay are way more inoffensive. I notice you ducked that bit. Why are they disproportionately hated on here?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 17:47 - Apr 20 with 846 viewsfooters

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 17:45 - Apr 20 by The_Flashing_Smile

Does Morrissey really have a platform? Other than the outrage from others, I never hear from him. And I'm a fan. His social media must be rubbish. It's like the people who complain to the Daily Mail about a programme they never saw but heard about on the Daily Mail. The only time I hear about Morrissey on TWTD is from people complaining about him. If you don't like it, stop spreading it!

Coldplay are way more inoffensive. I notice you ducked that bit. Why are they disproportionately hated on here?

Because they're sh1t?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 17:48 - Apr 20 with 845 viewsfooters

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 17:40 - Apr 20 by Lord_Lucan

Not really sure why you are directing this to me as I haven't offered an opinion on either Morrissey or The Smiths.

Fact is I never liked them but that's irrelevant.

Peter Hook once said to Morrissey "You'll always be jealous of Joy Division because Ian Curtis actually had the guts to kill himself.

Thing is with all this Dolly / Morrissey thing though is that to me it seems like it's a bit of a snidey put down on Dolly with all the great and good knowing it will get a response and others will pile in.

I don't see people criticising Sex Pistols fans because Lydon voted Trump, supports Brexit and has said how much he likes Farage.

Wouldn't expect much different from Lydon. They always were politically clueless McLaren clotheshorses and not much more.

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 17:49 - Apr 20 with 844 viewsHerbivore

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 17:45 - Apr 20 by The_Flashing_Smile

Because their music is sh!t I imagine.

Yes, Morrissey has a platform. Journalists interview him, they publish his words. That's a platform. He uses it to spread nasty sh!te for the most part. You should be bright enough to understand why people then call him out on it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 17:56 - Apr 20 with 835 viewsZXBlue

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 16:34 - Apr 20 by StokieBlue

Do you apply this same level of deep-analysis to his more recent words?

SB

He was pretentious, and inclined to meaningless deepities.
Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 18:01 - Apr 20 with 823 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 16:41 - Apr 20 by Herbivore

What's to get? Either you like their music or you don't. I've never been a fan, I find his voice massively annoying and the majority of their songs just a bit meh. There's a few I don't mind but it's not for me on the whole, and I don't think that's down to me "not getting" them, it's down to me finding their music not very enjoyable to my ears for the most part.

I've not said otherwise. I think some people get them, some people don't get them, and some people just don't like them. All variables are valid, just like with any art. By "get" I don't mean 'don't understand because you're too stupid', necessarily. I've never quite got Mark Rothko. I'm sure I'm missing something there. Each to their own.

Login to get fewer ads

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 18:08 - Apr 20 with 820 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 16:47 - Apr 20 by HARRY10

He might have spoken to them. but most weren't listening to him.

Without trying to sound 'prolier than thou' I came from a pretty impoverished background and dont know anyone from a similar background who has any connection to his endless whining.

Yes life was pretty unfair, every race our lot started on sports day seemed to be 10 yards or more behind the rest. You learned to just get on with it, rather than spouting supposedly 'witty' eulogies to a doomed youth

And no, I don't 'get it' any more than I get spiritualism, Tracey Emin or Miranda supposedly being funny - and none of those are for the want of trying. So don't tell me it is my fault.

I never told you it's your fault.

The Smiths influenced music to a huge extent. The fact that we're discussing them now proves that. The awards and 'best album' nominations prove that. To deny their part in popular culture doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 18:13 - Apr 20 with 811 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 17:47 - Apr 20 by footers

Because they're sh1t?

"disproportionately"

Lots of things are sh!t.

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 18:15 - Apr 20 with 810 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 17:49 - Apr 20 by Herbivore

Because their music is sh!t I imagine.

Yes, Morrissey has a platform. Journalists interview him, they publish his words. That's a platform. He uses it to spread nasty sh!te for the most part. You should be bright enough to understand why people then call him out on it.

As I've said, I don't see it apart from on here.

[Redacted] on 18:16 - Apr 20 with 808 viewsvictorywilhappen

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 18:01 - Apr 20 by The_Flashing_Smile

I've not said otherwise. I think some people get them, some people don't get them, and some people just don't like them. All variables are valid, just like with any art. By "get" I don't mean 'don't understand because you're too stupid', necessarily. I've never quite got Mark Rothko. I'm sure I'm missing something there. Each to their own.

[Redacted]
Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 18:18 - Apr 20 with 804 viewsfooters

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 18:13 - Apr 20 by The_Flashing_Smile

"disproportionately"

Lots of things are sh!t.

OK, Dolly.

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 18:27 - Apr 20 with 777 viewsStokieBlue

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 18:15 - Apr 20 by The_Flashing_Smile

As I've said, I don't see it apart from on here.

I don't think that's fair, what he says is often reported because he does have a platform due to his past. Once reported other media outlets often then get involved.

For instance:

He has claimed Sadiq Khan, London’s first Muslim mayor, “cannot talk properly”, and declared “Even Tesco wouldn’t employ Diane Abbott,” — the Cambridge-educated shadow home secretary and Britain’s most prominent black MP. He has described the media’s treatment of the racist Tommy Robinson as “shocking”. And he has explicitly promoted For Britain on his Morrissey Central website: “There is only one British political party that can safeguard our security.” The party’s leader, Anne Marie Waters, posted a video online thanking Morrissey for his support.

Last year, his thoughts on #MeToo were no less inflammatory. Of Anthony Rapp, who accused Kevin Spacey of making sexual advances towards him when Rapp was 14 years old, he said: “One wonders if the boy did not know what would happen … When you are in somebody’s bedroom, you have to be aware of where that can lead.” Of the many female accusers of Harvey Weinstein, he said: “They play along. Afterwards, they feel embarrassed or disliked.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/may/30/bigmouth-strikes-again-morrissey-s

If you say stuff like this then it's not surprising that people hold it against you and take a generally dim view.

SB

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 18:36 - Apr 20 with 773 viewsDarth_Koont

Strange thread. But we seem to have this thread every 6 months or so.

So I’ll join in and say the same thing too.

It is possible to have one thought that Morrissey is an utter racist @rse and another thought that he, particularly with Marr, created something massive and hugely influential back in the 80s. You can hold both of these thoughts in your mind at the same time.

My teenage daughters love the Smiths. And that’s after I’ve explained his later crimes. Because actually those crimes are quite connected to his earlier work – the Smiths were fantastic at expressing young identity and uncertainty. Morrissey has just never resolved any of that and it’s morphed into something nationalist and racist as he becomes an older, more bitter man.

Pronouns: He/Him

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 18:43 - Apr 20 with 755 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

[Redacted] on 18:16 - Apr 20 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

You've explained my point perfectly. You've waxed lyrical on something you rate and dismissed something you don't. I'm fine with both.

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 18:45 - Apr 20 with 753 viewsDarth_Koont

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 18:27 - Apr 20 by StokieBlue

I don't think that's fair, what he says is often reported because he does have a platform due to his past. Once reported other media outlets often then get involved.

For instance:

He has claimed Sadiq Khan, London’s first Muslim mayor, “cannot talk properly”, and declared “Even Tesco wouldn’t employ Diane Abbott,” — the Cambridge-educated shadow home secretary and Britain’s most prominent black MP. He has described the media’s treatment of the racist Tommy Robinson as “shocking”. And he has explicitly promoted For Britain on his Morrissey Central website: “There is only one British political party that can safeguard our security.” The party’s leader, Anne Marie Waters, posted a video online thanking Morrissey for his support.

Last year, his thoughts on #MeToo were no less inflammatory. Of Anthony Rapp, who accused Kevin Spacey of making sexual advances towards him when Rapp was 14 years old, he said: “One wonders if the boy did not know what would happen … When you are in somebody’s bedroom, you have to be aware of where that can lead.” Of the many female accusers of Harvey Weinstein, he said: “They play along. Afterwards, they feel embarrassed or disliked.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/may/30/bigmouth-strikes-again-morrissey-s

If you say stuff like this then it's not surprising that people hold it against you and take a generally dim view.

SB

Undoubtedly he’s become a total @rse and maybe was feeding into his inherent self-indulgent @rseholeness at the start of his career too. That would explain a lot.

But similarly Beatles discussions shouldn’t be dominated by talk of John Lennon’s wife-beating. Sort of misses the bigger point about why people are still talking about the Beatles or the Smiths even while we should be very honest about it.

[Redacted] on 18:45 - Apr 20 with 749 viewsvictorywilhappen

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 18:36 - Apr 20 by Darth_Koont

Strange thread. But we seem to have this thread every 6 months or so.

So I’ll join in and say the same thing too.

It is possible to have one thought that Morrissey is an utter racist @rse and another thought that he, particularly with Marr, created something massive and hugely influential back in the 80s. You can hold both of these thoughts in your mind at the same time.

My teenage daughters love the Smiths. And that’s after I’ve explained his later crimes. Because actually those crimes are quite connected to his earlier work – the Smiths were fantastic at expressing young identity and uncertainty. Morrissey has just never resolved any of that and it’s morphed into something nationalist and racist as he becomes an older, more bitter man.

[Redacted]
Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racist� on 18:54 - Apr 20 with 728 viewsStokieBlue

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 18:45 - Apr 20 by Darth_Koont

Undoubtedly he’s become a total @rse and maybe was feeding into his inherent self-indulgent @rseholeness at the start of his career too. That would explain a lot.

But similarly Beatles discussions shouldn’t be dominated by talk of John Lennon’s wife-beating. Sort of misses the bigger point about why people are still talking about the Beatles or the Smiths even while we should be very honest about it.

That's fair.

However this wasn't a discussion about the Smiths, the thread was about Morrisey the individual.

It's morphed a bit but it's certainly possible to have a discussion about Morrisey without invoking the Smiths (or at least it should be). I don't believe I've mentioned the Smiths once.

SB
[Post edited 20 Apr 2021 18:55]

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 18:59 - Apr 20 with 714 viewsDarth_Koont

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racist� on 18:54 - Apr 20 by StokieBlue

That's fair.

However this wasn't a discussion about the Smiths, the thread was about Morrisey the individual.

It's morphed a bit but it's certainly possible to have a discussion about Morrisey without invoking the Smiths (or at least it should be). I don't believe I've mentioned the Smiths once.

SB
[Post edited 20 Apr 2021 18:55]

True.

I suppose I mean that connection between the man and the artist that people are willing to jump on. I have no problem calling out Morrissey for what he says – the bloke’s an @rsehole. And don’t get me started on his books!

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 19:03 - Apr 20 with 703 viewsfooters

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 18:59 - Apr 20 by Darth_Koont

True.

I suppose I mean that connection between the man and the artist that people are willing to jump on. I have no problem calling out Morrissey for what he says – the bloke’s an @rsehole. And don’t get me started on his books!

His books... yeah, unreadable garbage. Problem with being too big-headed for an editor.

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 20:46 - Apr 20 with 679 viewsHARRY10

Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 17:12 - Apr 20 by Herbivore

Do you honestly think people think Morrissey is a jeb-end because he's successful? That's really not why, mate. Why do people care? Maybe because they think those with a platform shouldn't use it to spread hate and bile, and if they do they should get called out on it?

A more realistic appraisal of this bigot that the weasel words of the apologist above

https://freedomnews.org.uk/2019/08/04/morrissey-isnt-senile-hes-always-been-a-ra
Morrissey hits back at The Simpsons amid claims parody is ‘hurtful and racistï on 21:25 - Apr 20 with 675 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I think The Smiths are the greatest band of all time. It makes me beyond sad that a man that was once my hero is now a man who I ardently dislike.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024