Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Concerns for the summer 12:10 - Apr 27 with 1996 viewsC_Jam_Blue

Despite the dreadful season we have had I am feeling very positive about ITFC just now for the first time in years. However I have 3 nagging worries about the next few months and the season ahead.

1. By signalling we have money to invest from our new owners I fear agents and other clubs will be holding out for high fees/wages from us. This could lead to a flurry of late deals with a lot of brinkmanship so our squad may look threadbare until near the end of the transfer window and disrupt pre-season.

2. The amount of time it will take for the new management team, systems (especially around transfer strategy) and owners to get up to speed. May lead to missing some potential targets and lead to late arrivals. With so many changes Paul Cook absolutely needs a good pre-season to hit the ground running at the start of the next campaign.

3. I originally welcomed Cook's direct and very outspoken approach but I am a bit concerned how far the criticism of players has gone. Few of the truly great managers wash their dirty laundry in public in this way. He will still have to work with quite a few of the existing squad and what message does it send to players we are targeting, will they trust him not to throw them under the bus as well.

As I say, feeling very positive but, after years' of dismay I still have these nagging doubts.
Concerns for the summer on 12:15 - Apr 27 with 1960 viewshype313

On point one, I don't think we need to worry about clubs over inflating prices as the majority of our signings will be free, and given there will be a huge amount of players on the market, it would be pretty silly to price yourself out of the market in a post covid world.

On point 2, I don't think we should be under any illusions that Cook has probably identified 90% of his targets already, so when the window opens, I've no doubt it will be a swift recruitment policy to give him a long pre season.

On point 3, whilst I'm not a huge fan of airing dirty laundry, we can't have it both ways where fans are raging at Lambert for constantly saying how great things were, to then call out Cook for making honest statements.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Concerns for the summer on 12:18 - Apr 27 with 1925 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

I imagine a large part will be battle hardened, experienced players known already to the club, Cook or Ashton. There will not be the reliance on inexperienced loanees or ageing players.

For example I could see Lee Evans, Christian Walton, Nathan Baker being the calibre of player on a free that we aim for

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Concerns for the summer on 12:19 - Apr 27 with 1920 viewssaffers12

Concerns for the summer on 12:15 - Apr 27 by hype313

On point one, I don't think we need to worry about clubs over inflating prices as the majority of our signings will be free, and given there will be a huge amount of players on the market, it would be pretty silly to price yourself out of the market in a post covid world.

On point 2, I don't think we should be under any illusions that Cook has probably identified 90% of his targets already, so when the window opens, I've no doubt it will be a swift recruitment policy to give him a long pre season.

On point 3, whilst I'm not a huge fan of airing dirty laundry, we can't have it both ways where fans are raging at Lambert for constantly saying how great things were, to then call out Cook for making honest statements.

I think OP is right to concerns but also feel you have addressed them really well.

I think both reflect the position we are in at the moment

Very positive for the future but hope for all fans it is not another false down
Concerns for the summer on 13:00 - Apr 27 with 1807 viewsIpswichKnight

Valid points however I think we are in a much better place transfer wise, there will be a glut of players out of contract and remember we only have 21 squad spaces available ( along with the rest of the league). Players will be running the risk of no income and no job if they want to play proper hardball.

Decent L1 players like Danny Rowe didn’t get a club until January. I suspect we have a couple of targets for each position and if the 1st one wants silly money Ashton will show him the door and move on quickly.
Concerns for the summer on 13:03 - Apr 27 with 1796 viewsbobbyramsey

Concerns for the summer on 12:19 - Apr 27 by saffers12

I think OP is right to concerns but also feel you have addressed them really well.

I think both reflect the position we are in at the moment

Very positive for the future but hope for all fans it is not another false down

We will also have some heavyweight, negotiators on board, unlike the present set-up.
Concerns for the summer on 13:13 - Apr 27 with 1747 viewsMatt_Netherlands

In relation to point one, there will be a lot(!) of clubs struggling so maybe open to offers they weren’t previously. For that at least, I expect it to be a buyers market this summer....
Concerns for the summer on 13:25 - Apr 27 with 1684 viewsWalkyWonderland

I don't think you could call it airing dirty laundry. He hasn't publicly criticised individuals and had been complementary about some individuals or aspects or particular performances (Judge, Downes etc) at times.
He has on numerous times said these players can be part of the future. He wants them to grab the opportunity and win a place in the squad next season. None of them have really shown a desire to do that and the performances have been exceptionally poor. Anyone would agree with that and he's also taking the lion's share of the blame.
Concerns for the summer on 13:29 - Apr 27 with 1653 viewsChurchman

1. There are a lot of threadbare clubs out there and a lot of players out of contract or within a year of it. An experience Chairman and CEO as well as a manager whose been around suggests we’ll have a lot more about us to do business in a timely manner than we ever were under Evans and his crowd. Hopefully we will be looking for something better than the hasbeens, injury ridden throw outs and never will be’s we’ve been attracting in the past few years..

2. The above know the game and I’d be amazed if they were not working on this, with the help of Dyer, Gill and others who know the game. It’s a risk and suspect it will take time for any new team to gel, but it’s about seeing progress in all these things.

3. There is no way he will hang his own team out to dry like he has Lamberts. That’d be mad. I do think Cook was honest and the players deserved it on this occasion, but it’s been said now. Assuming the last three games follow the same pattern there’s nothing to be gained by going bananas again.

I have no doubts things will turn for the better. I’m really optimistic. It’s all about getting the club structure right and they seem to be doing something about that. The better it is, the easier the manager’s job becomes. It maybe empty promises, Evans style, but i think we should give them (and the manager) a chance before releasing the posse on them.
Login to get fewer ads

Concerns for the summer on 13:37 - Apr 27 with 1619 viewsclive_baker

On point 3, while it's all a little unsavoury and 'same old', I'm not against Cook going in on the players publicly. Ultimately all he can influence now is next season, and his loyalty isn't to the ones he's throwing under a bus and will be moving on soon. We're essentially sacrificing the remaining games and any sort of a performance in favour of sending a message to a) the fans, that next season will be better and they should sign up for the ride and b) prospective players, that there's no more coming here (or staying here) for a semi retirement. You're either bought in or you're not. He's laying down a marker and that's fair enough.

I agree with the point about the extent of the change. To essentially build a new team, squad, non playing staff from scratch in June / July and hit the ground running in August isn't an easy task.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Concerns for the summer on 21:36 - Apr 27 with 1156 viewsSharkey

I feel it maý be one thing for Cook to identify his targets, another to land them. Mick McCarthy noted early on in his tenure that he didn't realise until he got the job that Ipswich is nearer to Rotterdam than it is to much of England. Covid has reminded people of where home is, and a lot more proressional footballers live within an hour of Wigan, say, than within an hour of Ipswich. (Arguably the only good (or at least promising) signing of the last few years is Vincent-Young, who was already in the neighbourhood.) Obviously moneý (wages) talks, but if it's hardened campionship/ league 1 pro's he's after, there aren't many in the district.
Concerns for the summer on 22:16 - Apr 27 with 1089 viewsitfctilidie

Concerns for the summer on 21:36 - Apr 27 by Sharkey

I feel it maý be one thing for Cook to identify his targets, another to land them. Mick McCarthy noted early on in his tenure that he didn't realise until he got the job that Ipswich is nearer to Rotterdam than it is to much of England. Covid has reminded people of where home is, and a lot more proressional footballers live within an hour of Wigan, say, than within an hour of Ipswich. (Arguably the only good (or at least promising) signing of the last few years is Vincent-Young, who was already in the neighbourhood.) Obviously moneý (wages) talks, but if it's hardened campionship/ league 1 pro's he's after, there aren't many in the district.

It is an hour from the capital city. The location really is not an issue but an excuse rolled out by the previous regime. Players go where the money is offered. When Evans is offering mince meat the manager needs to roll out the 'location isnt great is it" crap
Concerns for the summer on 22:37 - Apr 27 with 992 viewsChurchman

Concerns for the summer on 22:16 - Apr 27 by itfctilidie

It is an hour from the capital city. The location really is not an issue but an excuse rolled out by the previous regime. Players go where the money is offered. When Evans is offering mince meat the manager needs to roll out the 'location isnt great is it" crap

I agree with that. McCarthy had crumbs to work with. Evans had long since stopped investing in the club meaningfully and seemed to work on the basis of flog a player (like Cresswell or Mings) and you’ll get 50% or less back to bring replacements in. Most of the time he was forced to speculate on freebies and hasbeens and was good enough to find some very worthwhile players amongst the no hopers like ‘Cokey’.

If any prospective player doesn’t want to be here, see you later is my view. There is no shortage of players competing for a professional football career and unlike a pit like Blackburn, say, Suffolk is a lovely place to live. If we are able to pay people properly and the club is for the first time in many years set up right, I don’t think attracting players will be a problem.
Concerns for the summer on 00:53 - Apr 28 with 879 viewsHARRY10

Some excellent and well readable points being made above.

The only real concern I have is perhaps some fans over estimating the money we have, and the instant success it must then guarantee.

For my part I want to see a firm foundation put in place after the 17 years of neglect. Getting in the right 'backroom' staff to progress the youth players to the first team, on merit. Not to plug the gaps as often has been the case before.

Bring in players who are driven to succeed, not simply happy to be driven to away games. Recognise that with the right coaching players should be developing, If they are the right players, and we have the right coaching set up in place.

Rebuilt the club back to where we are supporters, not customers.

If I see that being put in place then I can wait. We may not go up next season - but we will have something to gladden our hearts, and even discover that long lost part of being a supporter .............. hope

(And beyond the hope that one day we might score )

Onwards and upwards
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024