Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. 11:48 - Apr 28 with 3821 viewsOriginalMarkyP

According to SOCCERBASE this is our current squad:

Jake Alley (G)
1Tomas Holy (G)
28David Cornell (G)
2Mark McGuinness (D)
3Stephen Ward (D)
4Luke Chambers (D)
5James Wilson (D)
6Luke Woolfenden (D)
22Aristote Nsiala (D)
24Kane Vincent-Young (D)
30Myles Kenlock (D)
41Luke Matheson (D)
49Dylan Crowe (D)
50Tommy Smith (D)
57Levi Andoh (D)
58Albie Armin (D)
7Gwion Edwards (M)
8Cole Skuse (M)
11Jon Nolan (M)
14Jack Lankester (M)
15Ed Bishop (M)
16Tristan Nydam (M)
17Keanan Bennetts (M)
18Alan Judge (M)
21Flynn Downes (M)
23Andre Dozzell (M)
27Luke Thomas (M)
33Josh Harrop (M)
36Armando Dobra (M)
44Emyr Huws (M)
50Liam Gibbs (M)
51Matthew Healy (M)
52Ross Crane (M)
53Zak Brown (M)
54Tawanda Chirewa (M)
55Zanda Siziba (M)
59Jack Manly (M)
NAKai Brown (F)
NAThomas Hughes (F)
NABen Morris (F)
9Kayden Jackson (F)
10James Norwood (F)
20Freddie Sears (F)
25Aaron Drinan (F)
32Oli Hawkins (F)
40Troy Parrott (F)
47Tyreece Simpson (F)
56Allan Viral (F)

Looking at contracts, who Cook likes etc, this is where he will end up before adding anyone.

- 1Tomas Holy (G) 
- 3Stephen Ward (D) 
- 4Luke Chambers (D)  PLAYER COACH
- 5James Wilson (D) 
- 22Aristote Nsiala (D) 
- 24Kane Vincent-Young (D) 
- 50Tommy Smith (D)
- 58Albie Armin (D) 
- 7Gwion Edwards (M) 
- 8Cole Skuse (M)  PLAYER COACH
- 11Jon Nolan (M) 
- 15Ed Bishop (M) 
- 16Tristan Nydam (M) 
- 21Flynn Downes (M) 
- 23Andre Dozzell (M) 
- 36Armando Dobra (M) 
- 50Liam Gibbs (M) 
- 52Ross Crane (M) 
- 54Tawanda Chirewa (M) 
- 55Zanda Siziba (M) 
- 10James Norwood (F) 
- 32Oli Hawkins (F) 

You might not like it, but it's a realistic appraisal.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:07 - Apr 28 with 3506 viewsTrumptonBlue

Jake Alley will be delighted to learn that Soccerbase thinks he is still associated with ITFC.
SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:12 - Apr 28 with 3483 viewsStewart27

Wow that’s huge.

You make an interesting observation. I hope you’re wrong though! Who knows what happens in the summer.

Ward is on a one year deal isn’t he? If so surely he’s a shoo in for departure. Couldn’t think of any reason for him to stay. I’d also like to offload Edwards and Hawkins. I’d keep Norwood as back up potentially but not arsed at all. Dozzell and Bishop could work but need so much better around them.

Also what credentials do you think Chambers and Skuse possess to make them player coaches?
SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:14 - Apr 28 with 3459 viewspointofblue

I think Woolfenden is more likely to be on the retain list than Wilson, as much as I like the latter.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:22 - Apr 28 with 3423 viewsOriginalMarkyP

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:12 - Apr 28 by Stewart27

Wow that’s huge.

You make an interesting observation. I hope you’re wrong though! Who knows what happens in the summer.

Ward is on a one year deal isn’t he? If so surely he’s a shoo in for departure. Couldn’t think of any reason for him to stay. I’d also like to offload Edwards and Hawkins. I’d keep Norwood as back up potentially but not arsed at all. Dozzell and Bishop could work but need so much better around them.

Also what credentials do you think Chambers and Skuse possess to make them player coaches?

On Ward...I get a strong impression that Cook likes him, made him skipper and Ward's performances have picked up under him. Also, defence (although prone to some howlers) hasn't been the main issue. I think he'll bring in a more vocal, domineering keeper. He'll want a couple of old heads at the back.

Hawkins is more of gut instinct. As a uniquely big target man he provides something different. Also Cook has said his sides thrive off crosses. At Hawkins' size he an ideal man to win those first balls in the box.

Chambers and Skuse. Well, he's said recently that there is a role for Chambers at the club if he wants it. Chambers wants desperately to stay. I can't see it being as a full on squad memeber so player coach it would have to be. Also he likes partnerships. If you apply that to coaching, Skuse is the perfect coaching partner for Chambers. Best mate, long history together etc.

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:24 - Apr 28 with 3405 viewsOriginalMarkyP

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:14 - Apr 28 by pointofblue

I think Woolfenden is more likely to be on the retain list than Wilson, as much as I like the latter.

I just think he's going to surprise a few by shifting on of the highly rated youngsters. And Woolfenden has been universally poor in almost every game he's played under cook. Looks lazy on the ball, like he's waiting for stuff to happen.

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:26 - Apr 28 with 3357 viewsStewart27

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:22 - Apr 28 by OriginalMarkyP

On Ward...I get a strong impression that Cook likes him, made him skipper and Ward's performances have picked up under him. Also, defence (although prone to some howlers) hasn't been the main issue. I think he'll bring in a more vocal, domineering keeper. He'll want a couple of old heads at the back.

Hawkins is more of gut instinct. As a uniquely big target man he provides something different. Also Cook has said his sides thrive off crosses. At Hawkins' size he an ideal man to win those first balls in the box.

Chambers and Skuse. Well, he's said recently that there is a role for Chambers at the club if he wants it. Chambers wants desperately to stay. I can't see it being as a full on squad memeber so player coach it would have to be. Also he likes partnerships. If you apply that to coaching, Skuse is the perfect coaching partner for Chambers. Best mate, long history together etc.

Valid points.

I’d like to see us move on from ward but could be useful for the reasons mentioned. Guess part of me wants to part ways from everything this season!

I think we will be in for a better target man than Hawkins.

Agree re Chambo but not sure on Skuse.
SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:27 - Apr 28 with 3352 viewsJon_456

I think the core list will be smaller than that to be honest.

Its not at all unlikely the below will be allowed to leave, but wouldn't mind them staying as back up.

4Luke Chambers (D)
30Myles Kenlock (D)
15Ed Bishop (M)
14Jack Lankester (M)
32Oli Hawkins (F)

I certainly hope the following aren't here next year from your retained list. We need to aim for better players if we want to get promoted.

3Stephen Ward (D)
5James Wilson (D)
22Aristote Nsiala (D)
7Gwion Edwards (M)
8Cole Skuse (M) PLAYER COACH
SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:29 - Apr 28 with 3339 viewsxrayspecs

Looking at current first team squad and U23s and ignoring loanees:

Current
1Tomas Holy (G)
28David Cornell (G)
3Stephen Ward (D)
4Luke Chambers (D)
5James Wilson (D)
6Luke Woolfenden (D)
22Aristote Nsiala (D)
24Kane Vincent-Young (D)
30Myles Kenlock (D)
7Gwion Edwards (M)
8Cole Skuse (M)
11Jon Nolan (M)
14Jack Lankester (M)
15Ed Bishop (M)
16Tristan Nydam (M)
18Alan Judge (M)
21Flynn Downes (M)
23Andre Dozzell (M)
36Armando Dobra (M)
44Emyr Huws (M)
NABen Morris (F)
9Kayden Jackson (F)
10James Norwood (F)
20Freddie Sears (F)
25Aaron Drinan (F)
32Oli Hawkins (F)

Next season
24Kane Vincent-Young (D)
16Tristan Nydam (M)
21Flynn Downes (M)
23Andre Dozzell (M)
36Armando Dobra (M)

Have been told that the clear out will be very significant.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2021 12:31]
Login to get fewer ads

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:34 - Apr 28 with 3296 viewsOriginalMarkyP

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:27 - Apr 28 by Jon_456

I think the core list will be smaller than that to be honest.

Its not at all unlikely the below will be allowed to leave, but wouldn't mind them staying as back up.

4Luke Chambers (D)
30Myles Kenlock (D)
15Ed Bishop (M)
14Jack Lankester (M)
32Oli Hawkins (F)

I certainly hope the following aren't here next year from your retained list. We need to aim for better players if we want to get promoted.

3Stephen Ward (D)
5James Wilson (D)
22Aristote Nsiala (D)
7Gwion Edwards (M)
8Cole Skuse (M) PLAYER COACH

I also think he will have a potential second cull after the second window.

I don't think he'll bin all the players in one go, the risk of that is just too high. To get rid of almost everyone and find replacements who gel before the start of the season is a very big ask. And money can't solve that. In fact the bigger axe he swings and the more cash he spends replacing the more pressure he will be under. Especially after the dissappointing performance since he arrived. I think he has to do it in stages to even have an above 50/50 chance of success.

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:39 - Apr 28 with 3245 viewsStewart27

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:34 - Apr 28 by OriginalMarkyP

I also think he will have a potential second cull after the second window.

I don't think he'll bin all the players in one go, the risk of that is just too high. To get rid of almost everyone and find replacements who gel before the start of the season is a very big ask. And money can't solve that. In fact the bigger axe he swings and the more cash he spends replacing the more pressure he will be under. Especially after the dissappointing performance since he arrived. I think he has to do it in stages to even have an above 50/50 chance of success.

I guess the counter to that is the fact that this bunch haven’t gelled in 2/3 years.
SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:41 - Apr 28 with 3240 viewsOriginalMarkyP

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:29 - Apr 28 by xrayspecs

Current
1Tomas Holy (G)
28David Cornell (G)
3Stephen Ward (D)
4Luke Chambers (D)
5James Wilson (D)
6Luke Woolfenden (D)
22Aristote Nsiala (D)
24Kane Vincent-Young (D)
30Myles Kenlock (D)
7Gwion Edwards (M)
8Cole Skuse (M)
11Jon Nolan (M)
14Jack Lankester (M)
15Ed Bishop (M)
16Tristan Nydam (M)
18Alan Judge (M)
21Flynn Downes (M)
23Andre Dozzell (M)
36Armando Dobra (M)
44Emyr Huws (M)
NABen Morris (F)
9Kayden Jackson (F)
10James Norwood (F)
20Freddie Sears (F)
25Aaron Drinan (F)
32Oli Hawkins (F)

Next season
24Kane Vincent-Young (D)
16Tristan Nydam (M)
21Flynn Downes (M)
23Andre Dozzell (M)
36Armando Dobra (M)

Hmmm.

My list cuts 27 players. I'd say thats a very significant culling.

Cull all but 5 and hoping you can bring in enough to provide a first team and cover could potentially suicidal. And again it's not about money. Money is only one factor. It buys you a ticket at the raffle, it doesn't guarantee everything pans out. That is a LOT of player transfers, signings, fitness tests, personality types that all have to come of perfectly to work. As I said he'll do it over two windows. So will have to retain players as a safety net.

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:50 - Apr 28 with 3180 viewsxrayspecs

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:41 - Apr 28 by OriginalMarkyP

Hmmm.

My list cuts 27 players. I'd say thats a very significant culling.

Cull all but 5 and hoping you can bring in enough to provide a first team and cover could potentially suicidal. And again it's not about money. Money is only one factor. It buys you a ticket at the raffle, it doesn't guarantee everything pans out. That is a LOT of player transfers, signings, fitness tests, personality types that all have to come of perfectly to work. As I said he'll do it over two windows. So will have to retain players as a safety net.

I have only looked at the senior players, some of the youngsters will still be here but would be U23s development team rather than first team.

I reckon we will see about 15 senior players joining this summer.
SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:52 - Apr 28 with 3152 viewspointofblue

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:24 - Apr 28 by OriginalMarkyP

I just think he's going to surprise a few by shifting on of the highly rated youngsters. And Woolfenden has been universally poor in almost every game he's played under cook. Looks lazy on the ball, like he's waiting for stuff to happen.

Woolfenden has been shoved out at right back and then played next to a 19 year old under Cook which is hardly helpful for trying to develop a young centre back. I think Cook will take that into account and has praised him in interviews before.

You could be right, though - I wouldn’t be surprised at this stage if everyone goes except for maybe Vincent-Young and Downes.

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 13:12 - Apr 28 with 3062 viewsOriginalMarkyP

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:52 - Apr 28 by pointofblue

Woolfenden has been shoved out at right back and then played next to a 19 year old under Cook which is hardly helpful for trying to develop a young centre back. I think Cook will take that into account and has praised him in interviews before.

You could be right, though - I wouldn’t be surprised at this stage if everyone goes except for maybe Vincent-Young and Downes.

Even with 15 coming in (my head says it'll be more like 10) he'll need to keep a few. This league seems to create injuries unlike any other, so you need a squad even if your aim is to play the same 11 every week.

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 14:11 - Apr 28 with 2925 viewspointofblue

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 13:12 - Apr 28 by OriginalMarkyP

Even with 15 coming in (my head says it'll be more like 10) he'll need to keep a few. This league seems to create injuries unlike any other, so you need a squad even if your aim is to play the same 11 every week.

I think we’ll end up with a squad of 23 - a first XI, a reserve XI which might contain a few youngsters plus a third goalkeeper, who will probably be another youth.

Holy/Cornell plus two others
Vincent-Young plus one other
Kenlock plus one other
Nsiala and Woolfenden plus two others
Bishop, Dozzell/Nolan and Downes plus three others
Two right wingers
Two left wingers
Two strikers

With players who can play in multiple positions to cover.

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 16:06 - Apr 28 with 2760 viewsjayessess

Is it realistic? Cook's been talking about small squads and being "demolition man" and you're imagining he's going to renew pretty much every out-of-contract first team player bar Sears, Judge, Huws and Jackson?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 16:10 - Apr 28 with 2740 viewscatch74

You’re missing out loaned out players I think.
Ndaba, Mizouni and McGavin. The three of them need a chance, even if it’s another season long loan if they don’t impress enough pre-season.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 18:13 - Apr 28 with 2572 viewsEireannach_gorm

Didn't think we had sold Corrie Ndaba & Janoi Donacien.
SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 18:26 - Apr 28 with 2522 viewsChurchman

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:29 - Apr 28 by xrayspecs

Current
1Tomas Holy (G)
28David Cornell (G)
3Stephen Ward (D)
4Luke Chambers (D)
5James Wilson (D)
6Luke Woolfenden (D)
22Aristote Nsiala (D)
24Kane Vincent-Young (D)
30Myles Kenlock (D)
7Gwion Edwards (M)
8Cole Skuse (M)
11Jon Nolan (M)
14Jack Lankester (M)
15Ed Bishop (M)
16Tristan Nydam (M)
18Alan Judge (M)
21Flynn Downes (M)
23Andre Dozzell (M)
36Armando Dobra (M)
44Emyr Huws (M)
NABen Morris (F)
9Kayden Jackson (F)
10James Norwood (F)
20Freddie Sears (F)
25Aaron Drinan (F)
32Oli Hawkins (F)

Next season
24Kane Vincent-Young (D)
16Tristan Nydam (M)
21Flynn Downes (M)
23Andre Dozzell (M)
36Armando Dobra (M)

In addition to your 5 I’d keep Woolfenden and Chambers as cover. I suspect he might keep Nolan though I’d ship him out. 60 games in three seasons, 13 in this and a career in the lower leagues? Surely we can do better.
SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 19:42 - Apr 28 with 2372 viewsOriginalMarkyP

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 18:26 - Apr 28 by Churchman

In addition to your 5 I’d keep Woolfenden and Chambers as cover. I suspect he might keep Nolan though I’d ship him out. 60 games in three seasons, 13 in this and a career in the lower leagues? Surely we can do better.

Remember when he came in he name checked Nolan as one of the players he was excited to work with and would work well in his system? He hasn't worked withhim yet as he's been injured. So he will keep him.

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 19:44 - Apr 28 with 2363 viewsScottCandage

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 16:10 - Apr 28 by catch74

You’re missing out loaned out players I think.
Ndaba, Mizouni and McGavin. The three of them need a chance, even if it’s another season long loan if they don’t impress enough pre-season.

Baggott too
SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 19:54 - Apr 28 with 2321 viewscatch74

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 19:44 - Apr 28 by ScottCandage

Baggott too

Oh yes - Baggott and as mentioned too, Donacien to the list. Think they’re both keepers too. Baggott clearly has the potential plus a big marketing possibility so 100% a Gamechanger.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:02 - Apr 29 with 1876 viewsitfctilidie

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 19:54 - Apr 28 by catch74

Oh yes - Baggott and as mentioned too, Donacien to the list. Think they’re both keepers too. Baggott clearly has the potential plus a big marketing possibility so 100% a Gamechanger.

I am not convinced there is a major upside from having any marketing in Indonesia. Any of my times in Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia i dont think i have ever seen any official merchandise on sale.

Its not quite the same as having a top Japanese or Korean star in the squad.

All it really means if he does come good is that you have a player jetting off to Indonesia more than a few times a season to risk injury playing against sides like Singapore and Hong Kong.

Anyway, I think the lad has potential and hopefully has a big future, I am just not so sure marketing would be a part of the decision
SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:25 - Apr 29 with 1841 viewsjayessess

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:02 - Apr 29 by itfctilidie

I am not convinced there is a major upside from having any marketing in Indonesia. Any of my times in Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia i dont think i have ever seen any official merchandise on sale.

Its not quite the same as having a top Japanese or Korean star in the squad.

All it really means if he does come good is that you have a player jetting off to Indonesia more than a few times a season to risk injury playing against sides like Singapore and Hong Kong.

Anyway, I think the lad has potential and hopefully has a big future, I am just not so sure marketing would be a part of the decision

Would've thought that made them untapped markets, surely?
Korea and Japan have had genuinely world class players over the years and currently have a decent number of players in top European leagues. Having a centre half play in the EFL wouldn't mean much. Indonesia has one player in the A-League and another in the Ekstraklasa and that's it.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 13:20 - Apr 29 with 1761 viewsitfctilidie

SQUAD...Where Cook will end up. on 12:25 - Apr 29 by jayessess

Would've thought that made them untapped markets, surely?
Korea and Japan have had genuinely world class players over the years and currently have a decent number of players in top European leagues. Having a centre half play in the EFL wouldn't mean much. Indonesia has one player in the A-League and another in the Ekstraklasa and that's it.

yeah i get it is an untapped market, what i mean is we wont be selling much official merch more knock off stuff as is the way in south east asia, so there is little financial gain
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024