Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bristol City 11:19 - May 4 with 5348 viewschrismakin

Since when did they become a top 6 championship team?

The way they moan about Ashton, Rolls etc taking the club backwards etc
I saw one poster even asked on their forum if their reputation has taken a fall, I didn't even know they had one.

they are so blinkered it's unreal

One of the biggest things Ashton did for them was the new performance centre
" It was already in motion when he came in"

Erm no, the planning permission for it was about to expire, one of his first duties was to get the permission extended and actually take on the role of getting it done.

And then we come to Rolls, and they are quick to link back to his time at Arsenal

Many ways you can look at this tbh, Arsenal a side used to being kicked off the ball more than any other sides in the league due their style of players, a squad that included Wilshire, Walcott who throughout their whole careers struggled with injury etc

BC injuries this season, a few hamstrings, not unusual in a squad, ACL, Back injuries.. nothing a physio can do about that, and there's one who's suffered foot problems for years.. that's a given that he's out.

Not sure what exactly BC expect, if you take out things like ACL, Back injuries, they've got 8 players out which based on a pandemic year, that's not too bad when you appreciate the lack of water treatments available for hamstring injuries, thigh strains etc, due to lockdown rules and the stop start effects of football over the last year or so, increase in midweek games, it's no shock injuries for all clubs are higher than normal.

Also based on what we know about the costs of actually fielding a competitive championship side, the fact they have built a new performance centre, stadium facilities etc whilst remaining competitive in the championship they have underestimated how good a job M/A has done there.
[Post edited 4 May 2021 12:46]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Bristol City on 13:52 - May 4 with 1172 viewschrismakin

Bristol City on 13:46 - May 4 by haynes_toe1

Good to hear from an actual Bristol City fan, rather than an Ipswich fan pretending he knows everything about your club.

I still think Ashton and Rolls, whilst not doing so well for yourselves, will be a step up for us.

Where's the pretence Haynes?

And how have they not done well?

[Post edited 4 May 2021 13:54]

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Bristol City on 13:57 - May 4 with 1160 viewsMatt_Netherlands

As we’ve seen with many years over the years, players who aren’t fancied at one club can go on to great things at somewhere else. Let’s hope the same can be true for off the field staff as it was for Delaney, McAuley, Moore, Hourihane
Bristol City on 14:09 - May 4 with 1132 viewsrattram

Bristol City on 12:28 - May 4 by Binner

I worked with a Bristol City supporter when they were promoted. Was their second spell in top division. As I remember they stayed up for three or four seasons.

The guy told me that they had, years previously, won the Welsh Cup by beating Tranmere in the final.

How big was Wales in those days?? Didn't know Bristol or Tranmere were in that country.
Bristol City on 14:20 - May 4 with 1120 viewsBristolCityFan20

Self entitlement is rife in football and I could also ask what makes Ipswich entitled to championship football. Being a big club doesn't get you promoted but money and nouse does. I have also seen lots of moaning from your fans despite being just outside the top 6 for most of the season, but I am sure their are valid reasons and you are welcoming the change.

I think personally this whole Rolls and Ashton saga is difficult one. He seems to be getting credit for things that were in place before he joined such as the stadium redevelopment and youth set up. He has however commanded some very decent fees and actually as someone said on the thread already he could be a better fit at Ipswich. I get you need the positivity right now as do we as we are a sinking ship and lucky to not be down and out. Hope it all works well, all the top dogs at BC cant praise him enough so time will tell.
Bristol City on 14:29 - May 4 with 1089 viewsFelix1955

Bristol City on 13:47 - May 4 by Guthrum

The South West is not really football heartland. Can you think of a really major English team beyond a line drawn from Birmingham to Bournemouth?

It's partly cricket and Rugby Union, but also the fact that football was historically at its strongest in the big industrial cities. Ipswich was a bit of a quirk, driven mainly by the ambition of one family (and we didn't really get going until around 1960).

The South West has always been a footballing backwater. Rugby has always been the most popular sport and these days the Bears share AG and frequently get crowds bigger than the football team.

Exeter Chiefs Gloucester and Bath are all local rivals and the derby matches sell out.

Anyway, glad you could see the funny side of Doris the tea lady joining you. The guy that posted is fantastic at writing just as Ashton speaks. He gets a lot of laughs on otib.
Bristol City on 14:31 - May 4 with 1081 viewschrismakin

Bristol City on 14:20 - May 4 by BristolCityFan20

Self entitlement is rife in football and I could also ask what makes Ipswich entitled to championship football. Being a big club doesn't get you promoted but money and nouse does. I have also seen lots of moaning from your fans despite being just outside the top 6 for most of the season, but I am sure their are valid reasons and you are welcoming the change.

I think personally this whole Rolls and Ashton saga is difficult one. He seems to be getting credit for things that were in place before he joined such as the stadium redevelopment and youth set up. He has however commanded some very decent fees and actually as someone said on the thread already he could be a better fit at Ipswich. I get you need the positivity right now as do we as we are a sinking ship and lucky to not be down and out. Hope it all works well, all the top dogs at BC cant praise him enough so time will tell.

The point being, it's ok saying thing were in motion, but certain things weren't even off the ground yet despite being planned, M/A had the task to take it on and get it done and oversee certain things. Somethings he may not have started, but he still oversaw it's completion. The fact you had someone with football experience shouldn't be lost by BC fans, but you've not had our recent history of lacklustre ownership to know how bad a club is when structures aren't there.

Looking through out the BC community there genuinly is 0 acceptance of the trials of covid, at one point I saw you had 12 positive tests, has there been any views into how this effected things by the fans other than it's Rolls and M/A fault. The lack of training hours available, mini pre season etc. There appears to be minimal discussion on the actual picture of the situations.

Im all for hearing the negatives of people, thats life, but I find it incredibly hard to understand how 0 credit can be given to people where it's warranted.

I saw alot of people at BC wanted holden out, despite in January being only 5 points off play offs and following a dodgy spell got what they wanted... the guy had a 43% win rate. tbf his run was awful, but you were still well positioned. unfortunately Pearson who was one of my picks for the town job, had the same issue as PC here, no window of his own to bring in anyone)

I am self entitled as a town fan, because the clubs ethos has always been to reach for the stars and I dont accept anything less from town, hence the anger over the ownership of Evans.
[Post edited 4 May 2021 14:42]

Bristol City on 14:33 - May 4 with 1065 viewsMatt_Netherlands

“Sinking ship” is an interesting turn of phrase! From the outside in it looks like before this season you had three top half championship finishes in a row, had your second highest league finish for 20 years a couple of seasons ago and are also on course for your longest stay in the championship for quite some while.

Football fans will always carry some sort of self entitlement, but I think if you canvassed most of the EFL clubs’ fan base, the general consensus is that BC are about where they should be all things considered?

(Not a dog by the way, just an example of how every club looks at their own plight differently)
Bristol City on 14:34 - May 4 with 1064 viewstractorboy1978

I don't think you'll find many on here that think we are entitled to anything. We are probably the perfect club to look at if you think things cannot get worse from where you currently are. We got rid of McCarthy for a 'new era' and were full of optimism then found ourselves with our two worst managers in our history, a squad of no hopers, our owners worst flaws totally exposed and on our way to L1 a year later.

BCWYWF.
[Post edited 4 May 2021 14:58]
Login to get fewer ads

Bristol City on 14:58 - May 4 with 1003 viewshaynes_toe1

Bristol City on 14:31 - May 4 by chrismakin

The point being, it's ok saying thing were in motion, but certain things weren't even off the ground yet despite being planned, M/A had the task to take it on and get it done and oversee certain things. Somethings he may not have started, but he still oversaw it's completion. The fact you had someone with football experience shouldn't be lost by BC fans, but you've not had our recent history of lacklustre ownership to know how bad a club is when structures aren't there.

Looking through out the BC community there genuinly is 0 acceptance of the trials of covid, at one point I saw you had 12 positive tests, has there been any views into how this effected things by the fans other than it's Rolls and M/A fault. The lack of training hours available, mini pre season etc. There appears to be minimal discussion on the actual picture of the situations.

Im all for hearing the negatives of people, thats life, but I find it incredibly hard to understand how 0 credit can be given to people where it's warranted.

I saw alot of people at BC wanted holden out, despite in January being only 5 points off play offs and following a dodgy spell got what they wanted... the guy had a 43% win rate. tbf his run was awful, but you were still well positioned. unfortunately Pearson who was one of my picks for the town job, had the same issue as PC here, no window of his own to bring in anyone)

I am self entitled as a town fan, because the clubs ethos has always been to reach for the stars and I dont accept anything less from town, hence the anger over the ownership of Evans.

I don't think you have the right to tell Bristol City fans what they should think or feel about their own club, just as they shouldn't us.
Bristol City on 14:59 - May 4 with 997 viewschrismakin

Bristol City on 14:58 - May 4 by haynes_toe1

I don't think you have the right to tell Bristol City fans what they should think or feel about their own club, just as they shouldn't us.

I can say what I like thanks.

Bristol City on 14:59 - May 4 with 998 viewsMB26

This is the same Bristol City that rectified Adam Webster's injury issues and turned him into a £20 million defender. Ashton and Rolls know doubt played a role in that.

I think injury issues will always be slightly subjective. It will always seem like "our club has got loads of injuries compared to others" because it's all you focus on. Ipswich I think we can safely say with confidence have a clear issue with sports science and injury recovery. I welcome both of them and considering where Bristol were and where they have been recently, they were close to getting it right.
Bristol City on 15:11 - May 4 with 963 viewsBristolCityFan20

Bristol City on 14:31 - May 4 by chrismakin

Really good point regarding COVID and no fans attending. Not sure what impact there has been and whether it was dealt with well enough. Some fans blame our owner for giving DH the deal, he has been obsessed with young managerial talent and sees them as projects.

Regarding injuries , I'm sure I read somewhere that Rolls oversaw a bad injury spell at West Ham but couldn't find any material supporting that. We have a desso pitch so could be that, alot were soft tissue injuries but what many of your fans dont acknowledge is that many were reoccuring and lengthy. Still we can theorise all day. You are right in saying he isn't the sole reason but he's not the only man in the building.
Bristol City on 15:13 - May 4 with 958 viewsBristolCityFan20

Bristol City on 14:33 - May 4 by Matt_Netherlands

“Sinking ship” is an interesting turn of phrase! From the outside in it looks like before this season you had three top half championship finishes in a row, had your second highest league finish for 20 years a couple of seasons ago and are also on course for your longest stay in the championship for quite some while.

Football fans will always carry some sort of self entitlement, but I think if you canvassed most of the EFL clubs’ fan base, the general consensus is that BC are about where they should be all things considered?

(Not a dog by the way, just an example of how every club looks at their own plight differently)

Its true all things considered I see us as a team that could go between league 1 and championship with a stint in the prem every so often.....The last bit hasn't happened but has for many and the problem with us is we have stagnated for long periods in 90s and 2000s whereas clubs like Hull, Swansea, Bournemouth, Brentford etc all surpassed including yourselves. I suppose its a bitter reality. Some big clubs in league one this season and actually its good seeing different teams giving it a go.....would be boring otherwise right.
Bristol City on 15:19 - May 4 with 933 viewstractorboy1978

Bristol City on 15:13 - May 4 by BristolCityFan20

Its true all things considered I see us as a team that could go between league 1 and championship with a stint in the prem every so often.....The last bit hasn't happened but has for many and the problem with us is we have stagnated for long periods in 90s and 2000s whereas clubs like Hull, Swansea, Bournemouth, Brentford etc all surpassed including yourselves. I suppose its a bitter reality. Some big clubs in league one this season and actually its good seeing different teams giving it a go.....would be boring otherwise right.

From the outside looking in, Bristol City are a side a lot of Town fans are envious of. Other than Brentford, over the past couple of seasons I'd say you have been seen as the best run club in the Championship that isn't operating with the advantage of parachute payments - in terms of player trading, recruitment, the stadium seems to improve year on year.

I think your fans perhaps need to be cautious not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. But then I hated opposition fans telling us how lucky we were to have McCarthy etc so I will shut up.
Bristol City on 15:45 - May 4 with 882 viewscressi

Bristol City on 11:37 - May 4 by NthQldITFC

Ah see Barnsley are in t'play-offs. Hope the beggars win an' go oop t'First Division or whatever they call t'bloody thing these days. They wuz such a neece bunch o' beggars when we beat 'um in 2000, ah really hurp they get oop.

Gerry Gow
Bristol City on 15:49 - May 4 with 873 viewsRobin

Hello, I'm a Bristol City supporter and this will be my only post as there are a lot of inaccuracies on this thread and others on this forum. I've no axe to grind with Ipswich, nor do I have delusions of grandeur for my own club which a few of you seem to think we have. 

On Andy Rolls, a simple Google search will tell you West Ham were cursed with muscle injuries under Rolls' watch ( https://bit.ly/3h1U3l9 ). Arsenal then suffered the same fate when Rolls went there ( https://bit.ly/3tordyg ). Rolls joined us in 2018 and Lee Johnson moaned about the injuries, followed by Dean Holden and to a much lesser extent Nigel Pearson. They have been utterly ridiculous and I hope for you, it's a coincidence. 

On Andrew Proctor, our Andrew Proctor is different to the Blackburn physio of a subtly different name, Andrew Procter. Our version worked under Mark Ashton at Oxford and followed him to Ashton Gate ( https://bit.ly/33dDXNl ). He might well end up at Portman Road, although despite being one of Ashton's jobs for the boys he is a local lad to Bristol. 

On Mark Ashton, where do I start. Watford gave us a pretty good insight at what we could expect from him ( https://bit.ly/3vCbkFR ) and they proved to be bang on the money. Don't be duped into thinking he's some sort of exceptional talent spotter, he's not. Of the players we sold for big money, Joe Bryan, Bobby Decordova-Reid and Lloyd Kelly all came through our academy. Lee Johnson only sanctioned the sale of Aden Flint on the condition we signed Adam Webster from you. Johnson also brought Josh Brownhill with him from Barnsley. Ashton did well to get good fees, but he's wasted every single penny on over-30s with no resale value. Ashton often exaggerates and occasionally lies through his teeth. He had nothing to do with the redevelopment of Ashton Gate, and little to do with the training ground which was funded by the Lansdowns and planned by a firm in Bath.  

All in all, I'm very happy to see Rolls, Ashton and Werhun (who's a relative of Ashton) leave. Best of luck to Ipswich for the future, except when you play us.
Bristol City on 15:57 - May 4 with 841 viewschrismakin

Bristol City on 15:11 - May 4 by BristolCityFan20

Really good point regarding COVID and no fans attending. Not sure what impact there has been and whether it was dealt with well enough. Some fans blame our owner for giving DH the deal, he has been obsessed with young managerial talent and sees them as projects.

Regarding injuries , I'm sure I read somewhere that Rolls oversaw a bad injury spell at West Ham but couldn't find any material supporting that. We have a desso pitch so could be that, alot were soft tissue injuries but what many of your fans dont acknowledge is that many were reoccuring and lengthy. Still we can theorise all day. You are right in saying he isn't the sole reason but he's not the only man in the building.

Guadiola, came out a little while ago and mentioned a mass increase in muscle injuries during this covid year, it does make sense, training hasn't been normal in any sense, recovery programmes limited and unusual, 1-1 training not allowed at certain points and a lot of having to leave players to it, I think Covid has a lot to do with all clubs injuries over the past year or so, esp when the biggest and best clubs have the same issues as ours.

Desso pitches can be unfogiving, there is nothing better than a 100% natural pitch, are you training on desso too? I did see on one of your members posts online that alot of muscle injuries happened at home games or in training.

It will be interesting to see how we both do on the injury front next season,(all clubs actually) we've had 4/5 years of shocking injury records, reoccuring injuries is a norm for us, so even if Rolls is able to slow this down we've had an improvement lol.

Bristol City on 15:59 - May 4 with 832 viewsrickw

Bristol City on 14:59 - May 4 by MB26

This is the same Bristol City that rectified Adam Webster's injury issues and turned him into a £20 million defender. Ashton and Rolls know doubt played a role in that.

I think injury issues will always be slightly subjective. It will always seem like "our club has got loads of injuries compared to others" because it's all you focus on. Ipswich I think we can safely say with confidence have a clear issue with sports science and injury recovery. I welcome both of them and considering where Bristol were and where they have been recently, they were close to getting it right.

Yes didn't Webster credit the better sports science at BC for his good year there?
As at the time Mick didn't really believe in it.

To the Bristol City fans - you might not like Ashton and Rolls, however we've had nobody in these positions! Marcus Evans was never at the club and wouldn't let anyone else run it, so nothing got done. He relied on the managers to run everything, hence Keane destroying our scouting as he only wanted players he knew, McCarthy was "old school" and didn't move with any new technologies, and Hurst and Lambert were just incapable of doing everything!

So to us people who have had shall we say mixed success at a Championship club is better than having nobody for several years...

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Bristol City on 16:04 - May 4 with 821 viewschrismakin

Bristol City on 15:49 - May 4 by Robin

Hello, I'm a Bristol City supporter and this will be my only post as there are a lot of inaccuracies on this thread and others on this forum. I've no axe to grind with Ipswich, nor do I have delusions of grandeur for my own club which a few of you seem to think we have. 

On Andy Rolls, a simple Google search will tell you West Ham were cursed with muscle injuries under Rolls' watch ( https://bit.ly/3h1U3l9 ). Arsenal then suffered the same fate when Rolls went there ( https://bit.ly/3tordyg ). Rolls joined us in 2018 and Lee Johnson moaned about the injuries, followed by Dean Holden and to a much lesser extent Nigel Pearson. They have been utterly ridiculous and I hope for you, it's a coincidence. 

On Andrew Proctor, our Andrew Proctor is different to the Blackburn physio of a subtly different name, Andrew Procter. Our version worked under Mark Ashton at Oxford and followed him to Ashton Gate ( https://bit.ly/33dDXNl ). He might well end up at Portman Road, although despite being one of Ashton's jobs for the boys he is a local lad to Bristol. 

On Mark Ashton, where do I start. Watford gave us a pretty good insight at what we could expect from him ( https://bit.ly/3vCbkFR ) and they proved to be bang on the money. Don't be duped into thinking he's some sort of exceptional talent spotter, he's not. Of the players we sold for big money, Joe Bryan, Bobby Decordova-Reid and Lloyd Kelly all came through our academy. Lee Johnson only sanctioned the sale of Aden Flint on the condition we signed Adam Webster from you. Johnson also brought Josh Brownhill with him from Barnsley. Ashton did well to get good fees, but he's wasted every single penny on over-30s with no resale value. Ashton often exaggerates and occasionally lies through his teeth. He had nothing to do with the redevelopment of Ashton Gate, and little to do with the training ground which was funded by the Lansdowns and planned by a firm in Bath.  

All in all, I'm very happy to see Rolls, Ashton and Werhun (who's a relative of Ashton) leave. Best of luck to Ipswich for the future, except when you play us.

R:E talent spotter point, I don;t feel many town fans are expecting this, we have a new seperate team coming in for this, non Ashton related.

what we are happy about is an actuall football experienced CEO, and his record in player trading is exceptional and welcome.

Whilst I appreciate the links to previous jobs of Rolls, you aren't going to get a job at top clubs if you're sht. They would have reviewed his specific involvement.
As i mentioned in a previous post, the likes of west ham and Arsenal have been known for many years to have injury prone players, Carroll, Walcott, Wilshire etc
As mentioned earlier, your injury figures aren't that far off others in the football leagues.

Im happy to see a structure being put in place, and from the outside, M/A has done a brilliant job at B/C, but that is an outsider view. The watford view is from 2008, you can learn alot in 13 years, so it's not something I entertain.

Bristol City on 16:24 - May 4 with 784 viewsvanmunt

Bristol City’s problems stem from appointing the wrong manager when a complete overhaul of the squad was needed after the departure of Johnson. Not sure how much this has to do with Mark Ashton and not Lansdown being more enamoured by Bristol Bears lately.

Looking forward hopefully to visiting the gate, most city fans are a good bunch.
[Post edited 4 May 2021 16:28]
Bristol City on 17:27 - May 4 with 737 viewsFelix1955

Bristol City on 16:24 - May 4 by vanmunt

Bristol City’s problems stem from appointing the wrong manager when a complete overhaul of the squad was needed after the departure of Johnson. Not sure how much this has to do with Mark Ashton and not Lansdown being more enamoured by Bristol Bears lately.

Looking forward hopefully to visiting the gate, most city fans are a good bunch.
[Post edited 4 May 2021 16:28]

That’s very insightful and 100% accurate.

After Johnson was sacked it took weeks to appoint a successor with Ashton and Jon Lansdown doing the interviews.

As fans we were calling for a guy with a proven CV of getting clubs out of the Championship and we were all disappointed when the novice Dean Holden got the job - lovely guy but lacked and credentials

At least now we have a manager with promotion on his CV but he’s starting from scratch with a poorly recruited (Ashton) bunch of players. Fortunately several of the dross are OOC this summer
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024