Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dogecoin - Anyone on it? 15:27 - May 4 with 23243 viewsBlueStreak

To the moon!
Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:29 - May 4 with 2791 viewsjeera

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:22 - May 4 by J2BLUE

Dearest Jeera

I've been waiting for something. It's taken far longer than expected but should be much nearer an outcome after tomorrow morning.

With any i'll have PM'd you by the end of the week. If I knew it was going to take this long I wouldn't have bothered waiting but it's nearing an end now.

I just assumed you'd forgotten me.

I didn't really, I am just impatient and naturally want to know what it is you're waiting on.

A curiosity not tempered by this latest dialogue, might I add.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:39 - May 4 with 2784 viewsDanTheMan

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:18 - May 4 by chicoazul

Keen to know more about the people who mine for crypto while also claiming to be environmentalists.

Anyone I know who considers themselves conscious about the Environment considers bitcoin incredibly dumb and wasteful.

Also most of the developers I know think blockchain is... pretty bloody stupid.

For it's original purpose it seems insanely ill suited given it's very slow and very power hungry. I know Ethereum is supposed to be "solving" these issues but that's been in the works a few years now and still not out.

Maybe blockchain has some practical application somewhere but you can usually achieve what it does with a database.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:44 - May 4 with 2768 viewsfooters

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:39 - May 4 by DanTheMan

Anyone I know who considers themselves conscious about the Environment considers bitcoin incredibly dumb and wasteful.

For it's original purpose it seems insanely ill suited given it's very slow and very power hungry. I know Ethereum is supposed to be "solving" these issues but that's been in the works a few years now and still not out.

Maybe blockchain has some practical application somewhere but you can usually achieve what it does with a database.

I think one of the only real-world applications for blockchain right now would be to replace clearing houses. The company I used to work for tried to develop such a solution for one major European clearing house and nothing came of it, unsurprisingly. At that scale and such limited transactions I could see it.

But you're 100% right that the majority of others simply try to cram blockchain into projects where a centralised database is the cheapest and most effective way of storing data. It's just a buzzword for many of them.

Glad I don't have to listen to all these 'revolutionary' speeches and pitches now though!

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:44 - May 4 with 2768 viewsmidastouch

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:13 - May 4 by StokieBlue

Do you know much about the underlying technology?

The blockchain is pretty flawed. Whilst you do get a record of all transactions that is possible in other ways and what you do get is a bloated chain of information which if you truly want it to be decentralised needs to be stored on many computers. Now they have found ways around that by allowing smaller sections of the chain to be downloaded. Next issue is the insane energy requirements, once again there are ways around this such as proof of stake rather than proof of work but it still carries an energy footprint.

What you you think are the "power and potential of blockchain"?

At the moment just putting blockchain in your proposal is an easy way to get funding, there will be a time when more robust analysis is undertaken and blockchain won't automatically equal funding.

SB

I think it has great potential and is poised to totally change the future of finance. However, of course I could be wrong, only time will tell. Perhaps we should bookmark this page and check back in 10 years from now (when we'll both be a bit more chubby, grey and a few yards slower) so one of us can have our "I told you so" moment!

Not that I get any great joy from any such nonsense, as I find "I told you so" merchants rather petty! So actually, let's pass on that one.

As for the energy requirements, I posted about that recently in response to one of your threads (please see here:
Huge statement of intent from Biden by midastouch 29 Apr 2021 18:13
Nuclear energy (the energy elephant in the room!) anybody as part of the solution?

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/worlds-safest-source-energy/

https://www.engineering.com/story/whats-the-death-toll-of-nuclear-vs-other-energy-sources

https://youtu.be/bDw3ET3zqxk

https://youtu.be/CSSm1nF-SHQ

https://youtu.be/ciStnd9Y2ak

I was totally against nuclear energy but I have to say that documentary film (Pandora's Promise) made me question some of my doubts and fears. I only watched it fairly recently and I'm still not quite sure how to digest it all properly! Anybody else seen it? If so what did you make of it?

and I'm actually starting to wonder if nuclear energy is the only realistic way out. Please feel free to shoot me down in flames! I can take it!

I think crypto actually has the potential to go Premier League and I think FIAT has the potential to go non league! Governments will try and cling on and take their slice of the crypto market but I think they could be fighting a losing battle. Of course they will want their cut and will try and muscle in like they always do and it could well be a bumpy ride as a result.

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:45 - May 4 with 2760 viewschicoazul

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:39 - May 4 by DanTheMan

It’s almost as if a currency originally used for paying prostitutes and buying human organs on the black market is dodgy somehow.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:45 - May 4 with 2755 viewsJ2BLUE

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:29 - May 4 by jeera

I didn't really, I am just impatient and naturally want to know what it is you're waiting on.

Don't be daft Dave, i'd never forget you.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:50 - May 4 with 2739 viewsStokieBlue

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:44 - May 4 by midastouch

I think it has great potential and is poised to totally change the future of finance. However, of course I could be wrong, only time will tell. Perhaps we should bookmark this page and check back in 10 years from now (when we'll both be a bit more chubby, grey and a few yards slower) so one of us can have our "I told you so" moment!

Not that I get any great joy from any such nonsense, as I find "I told you so" merchants rather petty! So actually, let's pass on that one.

As for the energy requirements, I posted about that recently in response to one of your threads (please see here:
Huge statement of intent from Biden by midastouch 29 Apr 2021 18:13
Nuclear energy (the energy elephant in the room!) anybody as part of the solution?

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/worlds-safest-source-energy/

https://www.engineering.com/story/whats-the-death-toll-of-nuclear-vs-other-energy-sources

https://youtu.be/bDw3ET3zqxk

https://youtu.be/CSSm1nF-SHQ

https://youtu.be/ciStnd9Y2ak

I was totally against nuclear energy but I have to say that documentary film (Pandora's Promise) made me question some of my doubts and fears. I only watched it fairly recently and I'm still not quite sure how to digest it all properly! Anybody else seen it? If so what did you make of it?

and I'm actually starting to wonder if nuclear energy is the only realistic way out. Please feel free to shoot me down in flames! I can take it!

I think crypto actually has the potential to go Premier League and I think FIAT has the potential to go non league! Governments will try and cling on and take their slice of the crypto market but I think they could be fighting a losing battle. Of course they will want their cut and will try and muscle in like they always do and it could well be a bumpy ride as a result.

So there are two totally separate things in that post.

1). You've not given any reasons why blockchain will change anything. You've just cited the hype around it and not why the technology is the way forward. I guarantee the BTC blockchain in it's current form will not revolutionise anything. ETH might do more or there might be a new one but BTC is flawed. How do you think it will totally change finance? Can you give an example?

2). Nuclear energy is probably required for baseline "on demand" power supply. It's not needed to power energy-hungry blockchains. 3rd and 4th generation nuclear power stations are excellent and can get 250x more usage out of the same fuel used in older power stations. They can also burn the existing stockpiles of nuclear waste which is good for the environment. There are obviously concerns around meltdowns but if you focused on thorium reactors then they can't meltdown because they require energy to sustain the reaction. However you can't use them to make plutonium and nukes hence research was stopped in the 70's but has begun again now.

I've written about nuclear previously, I am sure you can dig out some of my old posts.

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:50 - May 4 with 2744 viewsDanTheMan

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:45 - May 4 by chicoazul

It’s almost as if a currency originally used for paying prostitutes and buying human organs on the black market is dodgy somehow.

And amusingly, what with the ledger being public and all, it's very easy to trace.

So it's not even good for that...

Login to get fewer ads

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:50 - May 4 with 2741 viewsJ2BLUE

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:45 - May 4 by chicoazul

Dyson Debra has always insisted on cash.

Truly impaired.

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:52 - May 4 with 2731 viewsDanTheMan

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:50 - May 4 by StokieBlue

1). You've not given any reasons why blockchain will change anything. You've just cited the hype around it and not why the technology is the way forward. I guarantee the BTC blockchain in it's current form will not revolutionise anything. ETH might do more or there might be a new one but BTC is flawed. How do you think it will totally change finance? Can you give an example?

2). Nuclear energy is probably required for baseline "on demand" power supply. It's not needed to power energy-hungry blockchains. 3rd and 4th generation nuclear power stations are excellent and can get 250x more usage out of the same fuel used in older power stations. They can also burn the existing stockpiles of nuclear waste which is good for the environment. There are obviously concerns around meltdowns but if you focused on thorium reactors then they can't meltdown because they require energy to sustain the reaction. However you can't use them to make plutonium and nukes hence research was stopped in the 70's but has begun again now.

I've written about nuclear previously, I am sure you can dig out some of my old posts.

SB

I actually work in financial tech and it's quite amazing how little anyone ever talks about blockchain stuff. I was expecting loads of it but mostly it's viewed as little more than a speculation tool, at least in my experience.

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:58 - May 4 with 2698 viewsStokieBlue

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:52 - May 4 by DanTheMan

I actually work in financial tech and it's quite amazing how little anyone ever talks about blockchain stuff. I was expecting loads of it but mostly it's viewed as little more than a speculation tool, at least in my experience.

I don't hear as much about it anymore but there was a time a few years back when they were trying to get people to attend seminars about it all the time.

ML is the thing now, although that also comes with it's own issues.

SB

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 18:00 - May 4 with 2694 viewsITFC_96

Ponzi scheme in which there's going to be a lot people losing a lot of money once it collapses [again].
Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 18:08 - May 4 with 2685 viewsmidastouch

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:52 - May 4 by DanTheMan

I don't come from such a work background so perhaps I'm falling for some of the hype. From what I can gather there are some big movers and shakers working hard to implement blockchain in all manner of things from a financial perspective. Please see here for example: https://www.cbinsights.com/research/industries-disrupted-blockchain/

Just how successful they will ultimately be I can't hazard a guess. You and Stokie seem quite sceptical and I appreciate it's often wise not to easily fall for hype. Nonetheless, it's hard to deny there are a lot of bright minds in the crypto sphere working hard to move this technology forwards.

Do you both think they are largely wasting their time and 10 years from now crypto will be well and truly in retreat?

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 18:12 - May 4 with 2673 viewsJ2BLUE

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 18:08 - May 4 by midastouch

I don't come from such a work background so perhaps I'm falling for some of the hype. From what I can gather there are some big movers and shakers working hard to implement blockchain in all manner of things from a financial perspective. Please see here for example: https://www.cbinsights.com/research/industries-disrupted-blockchain/

Just how successful they will ultimately be I can't hazard a guess. You and Stokie seem quite sceptical and I appreciate it's often wise not to easily fall for hype. Nonetheless, it's hard to deny there are a lot of bright minds in the crypto sphere working hard to move this technology forwards.

Do you both think they are largely wasting their time and 10 years from now crypto will be well and truly in retreat?

Crypto is here to stay IMO but look at this:

https://www.pymnts.com/cryptocurrency/2021/banks-wary-fed-speeds-up-digital-curr

Once central banks or governments start getting in on the deal we could see something like Bitcoin lose a massive chunk of purchasing power with the stroke of a pen. I doubt it would be too difficult for them to compile a report on all the terrible things it's used for and ban it from certain countries.

Truly impaired.

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 18:13 - May 4 with 2674 viewsmidastouch

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:50 - May 4 by StokieBlue

SB

Thanks for your reply. You raise some interesting points. I certainly don't pretend to be a great innovator in the world of blockchain. As you'll see above, I just replied to Dan saying that perhaps I'm guilty of falling for some of the hype. I guess only time will tell.

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 18:16 - May 4 with 2670 viewsfactual_blue

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:29 - May 4 by jeera

Isn't obvious?

He's waiting for sexual maturity.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 18:17 - May 4 with 2666 viewsStokieBlue

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 18:08 - May 4 by midastouch

I suspect they will have made a fortune and will have sensibly taken their money and either retired or moved onto the next big thing.

Looking at those potential usages some are just pointless. Wills? Why would anyone want to use the blockchain for wills when there is a perfectly workable solution that exists? A lot of those suggested usages are actually the same usage just reapplied to a different industry (ie. inventory and certifications for aerospace).

All the speculation could be killed by financial legislation and then that would be it for the majority of coins outside the big few.

I might be totally wrong but I don't see blockchain as a revolutionary technology, something like ML is more likely to achieve that status in my opinion and even then that's when it's applied to the correct problems rather than in a scattergun approach.

That doesn't mean that the main coins won't be around, I think the bigger ones will still be here but we won't have 1000+ altcoins.

SB
[Post edited 4 May 2021 18:19]

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 18:17 - May 4 with 2665 viewsmidastouch

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 18:12 - May 4 by J2BLUE

Crypto is here to stay IMO but look at this:

https://www.pymnts.com/cryptocurrency/2021/banks-wary-fed-speeds-up-digital-curr

Once central banks or governments start getting in on the deal we could see something like Bitcoin lose a massive chunk of purchasing power with the stroke of a pen. I doubt it would be too difficult for them to compile a report on all the terrible things it's used for and ban it from certain countries.

Cheers I'll have a look at that.

You might find this BTC timeline quite interesting:
https://www.tradingview.com/symbols/BTCUSD/history-timeline/#a-jump-of-joy-2021-

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 18:19 - May 4 with 2660 viewsDinDjarin

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 17:13 - May 4 by StokieBlue

Do you know much about the underlying technology?

The blockchain is pretty flawed. Whilst you do get a record of all transactions that is possible in other ways and what you do get is a bloated chain of information which if you truly want it to be decentralised needs to be stored on many computers. Now they have found ways around that by allowing smaller sections of the chain to be downloaded. Next issue is the insane energy requirements, once again there are ways around this such as proof of stake rather than proof of work but it still carries an energy footprint.

What you you think are the "power and potential of blockchain"?

At the moment just putting blockchain in your proposal is an easy way to get funding, there will be a time when more robust analysis is undertaken and blockchain won't automatically equal funding.

SB

Blockchain is the future of finance but is not the same as crypto which utilses blockchain.

Blockchain allows seamless transactions across borders and also proof of ownership.

It will be how music is released in the future along with other many other products. It is massive and not going away.

edit - Some light reading for those who do not understand the power of blockchain and where it is taking us. I work as a database admin for last 20 yrs so have a little understanding of the in and outs of what this involves. This technology will be a part of every transaction made in years to come.

https://builtin.com/blockchain/blockchain-music-innovation-examples

https://www.cryptonewspoint.com/how-blockchain-is-changing-the-coffee-industry/
[Post edited 4 May 2021 18:29]
Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 18:23 - May 4 with 2639 viewsStokieBlue

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 18:19 - May 4 by DinDjarin

Blockchain is the future of finance but is not the same as crypto which utilses blockchain.

Blockchain allows seamless transactions across borders and also proof of ownership.

It will be how music is released in the future along with other many other products. It is massive and not going away.

edit - Some light reading for those who do not understand the power of blockchain and where it is taking us. I work as a database admin for last 20 yrs so have a little understanding of the in and outs of what this involves. This technology will be a part of every transaction made in years to come.

https://builtin.com/blockchain/blockchain-music-innovation-examples

https://www.cryptonewspoint.com/how-blockchain-is-changing-the-coffee-industry/
[Post edited 4 May 2021 18:29]

You are certainly right to make the distinction between crypto and blockchain, they aren't the same thing.

I'm not as convinced as you are that it will be the future of finance in it's current form but some form of developed proof of stake will probably have a place. It only allows seemless transactions across borders because there are no rules. When legislation is made it will be subject to the same rules as normal cross-border transactions, especially around money laundering checks.

A lot could also be curtailed by environmental factors although POS does help in that regards (it's still not great though).

SB

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 18:43 - May 4 with 2605 viewsDinDjarin

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 18:23 - May 4 by StokieBlue

You are certainly right to make the distinction between crypto and blockchain, they aren't the same thing.

I'm not as convinced as you are that it will be the future of finance in it's current form but some form of developed proof of stake will probably have a place. It only allows seemless transactions across borders because there are no rules. When legislation is made it will be subject to the same rules as normal cross-border transactions, especially around money laundering checks.

A lot could also be curtailed by environmental factors although POS does help in that regards (it's still not great though).

SB

Bitcoin and other cryptos will not last. Governments are already taking steps to control them with several countries banning them, India and Turkey recently come to mind.

The UK is looking to create a BritCoin. It is the wild west currently and anyone investing in them may make good profits but longer term I think the bubble will burst and it will go back underground.

Blockchain however is a game changer and will revolutionize finance.

For instance say you wanted to buy clothes that were not created in a sweat shop. Then the history of every material in the clothing can be traced back to source and included on the label. There are many many other examples.
[Post edited 4 May 2021 18:45]
Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 18:46 - May 4 with 2603 viewsBlueandTruesince82

I've stayed clear, hold various coins but doge has no use case and I feel like Musk and Cuban are just driving the hype, Musk has form with that kind of thing.

Can't bring myself to buy it as I don't see where the value is.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 18:48 - May 4 with 2597 viewsJ2BLUE

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 18:16 - May 4 by factual_blue

Isn't obvious?

He's waiting for sexual maturity.

Doubt i'll get there by the end of the week!

Truly impaired.

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 19:06 - May 4 with 2569 viewsfactual_blue

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 18:48 - May 4 by J2BLUE

Doubt i'll get there by the end of the week!

You've spelt 'by the end of the decade' wrongly.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Dogecoin - Anyone on it? on 19:15 - May 4 with 2559 viewssuffolkpoker

Edited - can’t be bothered
[Post edited 4 May 2021 21:25]

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024