Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in 20:54 - Jun 8 with 2523 viewsgiant_stow

... for the tackle?
[Post edited 8 Jun 2021 20:56]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 20:58 - Jun 8 with 2127 viewsGeoffSentence

By colour of the attackers boots.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 20:58 - Jun 8 with 2122 viewsjeera

Instinct?

Sure training on positioning, understanding the opposition's gameplay and what they're trying to achieve, where your own players are positioned, what your goalie might be barking out...

But you've gotta fancy it. If you follow his trajectory and his feet you should have a good idea if you fancy your chances or not.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 20:59 - Jun 8 with 2121 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It's all about timing isn't it? If you go in when the player is in full control of the ball you are likely to be left looking silly. If you hold on to the moment they are not in full control, you will more likely win the tackle.

Of course, some players are much better than others at making the correct call.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:03 - Jun 8 with 2085 viewsgiant_stow

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 20:58 - Jun 8 by jeera

Instinct?

Sure training on positioning, understanding the opposition's gameplay and what they're trying to achieve, where your own players are positioned, what your goalie might be barking out...

But you've gotta fancy it. If you follow his trajectory and his feet you should have a good idea if you fancy your chances or not.

Yeah with you mentioning instinct, I was wonderring some similar - whether it's just something some people get/ others don't.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:04 - Jun 8 with 2074 viewsgiant_stow

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 20:59 - Jun 8 by Nthsuffolkblue

It's all about timing isn't it? If you go in when the player is in full control of the ball you are likely to be left looking silly. If you hold on to the moment they are not in full control, you will more likely win the tackle.

Interesting... Being able to sense the perfect moment.

Think defending is a really underrated skill.

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:05 - Jun 8 with 2063 viewsNthsuffolkblue

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:03 - Jun 8 by giant_stow

Yeah with you mentioning instinct, I was wonderring some similar - whether it's just something some people get/ others don't.

I think there is a degree to which you can train concentration and improve the ability to watch the opponent carefully and wisely. Fitness plays a part too. I will always make the challenge because I know I am not fit or fast enough to keep up with the player tracking them anyway. But, yes, there is a natural instinct there too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:07 - Jun 8 with 2050 viewsOldsmoker

Is the defender going for the ball or the man?

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:09 - Jun 8 with 2040 viewsgiant_stow

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:05 - Jun 8 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think there is a degree to which you can train concentration and improve the ability to watch the opponent carefully and wisely. Fitness plays a part too. I will always make the challenge because I know I am not fit or fast enough to keep up with the player tracking them anyway. But, yes, there is a natural instinct there too.

Very interesting, ta. In my limited aged way, I get what you're saying about fitness being important too, even in extremely amateur footy.

Login to get fewer ads

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:11 - Jun 8 with 2035 viewsgiant_stow

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:07 - Jun 8 by Oldsmoker

Is the defender going for the ball or the man?

Always ball. He's actually a little bit gentle to be a defender.

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:12 - Jun 8 with 2023 viewsjeera

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:04 - Jun 8 by giant_stow

Interesting... Being able to sense the perfect moment.

Think defending is a really underrated skill.

I used to love playing in defence.

I wasn't good at crossing a ball, and lacked the pace needed to play right up front.

But would pride myself that not too many got past me.

I would harass and hassle and be like a limpet, tapping away until I got that touch.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:16 - Jun 8 with 2009 viewsOldsmoker

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:11 - Jun 8 by giant_stow

Always ball. He's actually a little bit gentle to be a defender.

First tackle always take the man.
It slows him up because now he's carrying a bruise for the rest of the game.
Ref's not going to show yellow in the first minutes of a game.
Attacker will be wary and probably pass inside or back if you face him again.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:23 - Jun 8 with 1986 viewsgiant_stow

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:12 - Jun 8 by jeera

I wasn't good at crossing a ball, and lacked the pace needed to play right up front.

I would harass and hassle and be like a limpet, tapping away until I got that touch.

Yeah that's it! There's a pride thing to it for sure.

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:23 - Jun 8 with 1986 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Instinct. The tiger, she must hunt.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:24 - Jun 8 with 1979 viewsgiant_stow

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:16 - Jun 8 by Oldsmoker

If I ever get in the (laughably aged) team, I'm going to keep your post in mind!

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:30 - Jun 8 with 1963 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:16 - Jun 8 by Oldsmoker

Either the ball gets past or the man - never both.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:34 - Jun 8 with 1955 viewsgiant_stow

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:30 - Jun 8 by You_Bloo_Right

Either the ball gets past or the man - never both.

What with the tiger needing to eat, I'm sensing a defenders union here!

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:42 - Jun 8 with 1945 viewsIllinoisblue

Having this conversation with my son the last few days. Trying to tell him if you’re going to commit to the ball you go 100% and get the ball and/or the man. He commits too early sometimes and then has to race back. He’s quick so it works out ok most of the time but as he gets older that will likely even out.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:42 - Jun 8 with 1943 viewsVic

In my experience (I played center mid, left and right full back and Centre half for about 20 in village football) I’d say some players can do it and some can’t. There’s a degree of learning but as others have said it’s about reading the game, timing, knowing the opposition player, and where about s you are on the pitch and simply knowing your own ability! Then there are the dark arts of which we shall not speak!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:46 - Jun 8 with 1924 viewsBloomBlue

In my young days as a defender in Suffolk village football many (many) years ago, if there was a cowpat between me and the attacker I would back off, if there wasn't I would go in.
How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 22:02 - Jun 8 with 1860 viewsBlueBadger

Well, if you're Toto, if you probably shouldn't lunge in, you lunge in.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 08:21 - Jun 9 with 1601 viewsWallingford_Boy

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 21:12 - Jun 8 by jeera

A defender with no pace? You must have been exceptionally good at timing the tackle then!

I’d say pace is more important defensively than up front.

RIP Sir Bobby

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 08:50 - Jun 9 with 1571 viewsNthQldITFC

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 20:59 - Jun 8 by Nthsuffolkblue

Timing, and watch his eyes, not his feet.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 08:55 - Jun 9 with 1549 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 08:50 - Jun 9 by NthQldITFC

Timing, and watch his eyes, not his feet.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 08:59 - Jun 9 with 1543 viewsghostofescobar

Most players at professional level actually tackle very little. At that level, the defensive role (across the team) is to delay and allow your team to get back into shape. The defending player closest to the ball is not responsible for winning the ball back, but just to delay and add some pressure to the player on the ball. They should never tackle unless they know they can win the ball (say the opposition loses control). The most likely person who will tackle is the defending player who will always move into the space behind the first defending player, as they then have the responsibility to defend against the opposition player who has probably sprinted passed the first defending player and therefore is less likely to have control of the ball. Players are trained to only tackle when the attacker makes a mistake or there is a threatening situation in or close to the box. Boring, but correct answer!!!

GhostOfEscobar

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 09:07 - Jun 9 with 1522 viewsSparky85

How do defenders decide on whether to back off or go in on 20:58 - Jun 8 by jeera

Instinct?

Agree mostly with this. I have played CB for as long as I care to remember and you can train and think about other factors as much as you want, but when it comes to that moment of a decision, its pure instinct, however....

For me it has always been position dependent. Outside the area, I have always gone on instinct and committed to the tackle. I was taught a long time ago that either the ball on man goes past you, not both. In the area though unless 100% sure I can get the ball without giving the ref a decision, I will stand tight and make the player beat me. Luckily with the level I have mostly played at, its done me well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024