Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our new data-driven approach to recruitment 13:04 - May 11 with 1186 viewsIllinoisblue

How will that work logistically? Genuine question. Do we have a team of analysts in the background crunching the numbers and making recommendations to Cook?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Our new data-driven approach to recruitment on 13:07 - May 11 with 1138 viewschrismakin

Has Barron even been confirmed yet?

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Our new data-driven approach to recruitment on 13:08 - May 11 with 1138 viewspositivity

evans had made an approach to gav for exclusive in-season use of the osborne 1.0.

hoping the new owners have a better idea in place (no offence gav!)

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Our new data-driven approach to recruitment on 13:09 - May 11 with 1127 viewsfooters

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Our new data-driven approach to recruitment on 13:12 - May 11 with 1086 viewsMattinLondon

Our new data-driven approach to recruitment on 13:09 - May 11 by footers

Very glad that they won’t be using a ZX Spectrum - they’ll spend half a day loading it up only to have a ‘tape loading error’ filling the screen.

Actually thinking about it maybe that’s how we ended up with the players we have/had. Someone couldn’t be arsed to try loading it up again and simply guessed that they were good players.
Our new data-driven approach to recruitment on 13:27 - May 11 with 1009 viewsglasso

I think it's just playing Football Manager for a few years and seeing who turns good. I've applied for a job.
Our new data-driven approach to recruitment on 13:27 - May 11 with 1002 viewsmarchy

Not sure, but I hope it's up and running before we fill ourselves up with mid/late-20s L1/L2 "prospects"...I think I remember that happening in a nightmare I once had...
Our new data-driven approach to recruitment on 13:37 - May 11 with 951 viewsSWGF

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/home.sd
Filter: Born within 10miles of Liver Building
Search

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Our new data-driven approach to recruitment on 13:39 - May 11 with 923 viewsDubtractor

Our new data-driven approach to recruitment on 13:37 - May 11 by SWGF

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/home.sd
Filter: Born within 10miles of Liver Building
Search

It's going to be the new "Mick only signs Irish players" isn't it?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Login to get fewer ads

Our new data-driven approach to recruitment on 13:43 - May 11 with 903 viewsclive_baker

That'll definitely be a part of it, our analysts will spend a lot of their time understanding our own performances, slicing and dicing the games, coding them up and sitting with the players to work through where they could learn and things they did well and not so well. They'll also do analysis into opponents which feeds into matchday tactics. But player scouting is quite different and either something that will sit with them during the pre season, or there will be dedicated resource for it, I'm not sure how it works at Town.

They'll be using tools like WyScout which is a platform I've used a lot, it's a popular one certainly in the football league. It's really interesting looking at the granular level statistically. WyScout for example applies quite complex formulas to 'grade' performances, and all the data can be cut however you see fit. There's a number of times when the naked eye sees things quite differently, rightly or wrongly. Judge had very favourable stats for us in our relegation season which would probably surprise many. Perhaps that's what peaked QPR's interest, or more likely that was Warburton having worked with him at Brentford. Or a combination of both.

Stats will only ever paint part of a picture, but it can help to identify players that are then worth looking at further. Its huge business though, look at someone like Steve Walsh and the value he created at Leicester. He identified Vardy, Kante, Mahrez etc.
[Post edited 11 May 2021 13:52]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Our new data-driven approach to recruitment on 13:50 - May 11 with 855 viewsKeno

Our new data-driven approach to recruitment on 13:12 - May 11 by MattinLondon

Very glad that they won’t be using a ZX Spectrum - they’ll spend half a day loading it up only to have a ‘tape loading error’ filling the screen.

Actually thinking about it maybe that’s how we ended up with the players we have/had. Someone couldn’t be arsed to try loading it up again and simply guessed that they were good players.

I seem to remember Joe Royke saying when doing a Radio 5 slot once that Everton had looked at players on on football manager one season

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Our new data-driven approach to recruitment on 16:58 - May 11 with 665 viewsIllinoisblue

Our new data-driven approach to recruitment on 13:43 - May 11 by clive_baker

That'll definitely be a part of it, our analysts will spend a lot of their time understanding our own performances, slicing and dicing the games, coding them up and sitting with the players to work through where they could learn and things they did well and not so well. They'll also do analysis into opponents which feeds into matchday tactics. But player scouting is quite different and either something that will sit with them during the pre season, or there will be dedicated resource for it, I'm not sure how it works at Town.

They'll be using tools like WyScout which is a platform I've used a lot, it's a popular one certainly in the football league. It's really interesting looking at the granular level statistically. WyScout for example applies quite complex formulas to 'grade' performances, and all the data can be cut however you see fit. There's a number of times when the naked eye sees things quite differently, rightly or wrongly. Judge had very favourable stats for us in our relegation season which would probably surprise many. Perhaps that's what peaked QPR's interest, or more likely that was Warburton having worked with him at Brentford. Or a combination of both.

Stats will only ever paint part of a picture, but it can help to identify players that are then worth looking at further. Its huge business though, look at someone like Steve Walsh and the value he created at Leicester. He identified Vardy, Kante, Mahrez etc.
[Post edited 11 May 2021 13:52]

Imagine the bar is very very low so anything will be an improvement. Wonder how Cook, who strikes me as old school go and scout a player himself, will work with the system.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Our new data-driven approach to recruitment on 17:09 - May 11 with 632 viewsCoco

Our new data-driven approach to recruitment on 13:50 - May 11 by Keno

I seem to remember Joe Royke saying when doing a Radio 5 slot once that Everton had looked at players on on football manager one season

Pretty sure Everton officially use the FM database as a scouting tool. I mean they did sign Ibrahima Bakayoko after all.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Only if idiots like..... on 17:21 - May 11 with 592 viewsBloots

Our new data-driven approach to recruitment on 13:39 - May 11 by Dubtractor

It's going to be the new "Mick only signs Irish players" isn't it?

....me keep banging on about it.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024