Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Yesterday I watched Moneyball 07:59 - May 17 with 1247 viewsWacko

The guy involved (Billy Beane) is now a part owner of Barnsley. If we're going down that route - and I hope we are - there's no point speculating on the suitably of any player linked, be they from Aldershot or Atletico, as we won't have the full data picture.

Also, at the beginning of the film, they lose their three best players. Makes me feel a bit better about Downes, Wolf and Dozzell...

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Yesterday I watched Moneyball on 08:13 - May 17 with 1163 viewsChrisd

Interestingly, Barnsley haven't had a bad season have they? Need the right people in those key roles though, fingers crossed we are doing that.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Yesterday I watched Moneyball on 08:17 - May 17 with 1140 viewsKropotkin123

It's a good film. Watched it a while back. Interesting to see how much resistance there was to change.

Not sure how credible our data driven approach will be this season. But good that it is a tool going forward.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Yesterday I watched Moneyball on 08:18 - May 17 with 1131 viewsSwansea_Blue

With Barnsley having a good end to the season there's bound to be loads of renewed hype around their moneyball approach. Worth noting that they hired a supposed US moneyball expert down here at Swansea and then their transfer business became an unmitigated disaster and a major factor in their relegation.

Data's useful of course, but you have to know how to deal with it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Yesterday I watched Moneyball on 08:32 - May 17 with 1063 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Great film isn't it.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Yesterday I watched Moneyball on 09:02 - May 17 with 958 viewsWacko

Yesterday I watched Moneyball on 08:13 - May 17 by Chrisd

Interestingly, Barnsley haven't had a bad season have they? Need the right people in those key roles though, fingers crossed we are doing that.

Yes - Billy Beane might finally 'win the last game' like he failed to do with Oakland

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Yesterday I watched Moneyball on 09:10 - May 17 with 925 viewsDarth_Koont

Yesterday I watched Moneyball on 08:18 - May 17 by Swansea_Blue

With Barnsley having a good end to the season there's bound to be loads of renewed hype around their moneyball approach. Worth noting that they hired a supposed US moneyball expert down here at Swansea and then their transfer business became an unmitigated disaster and a major factor in their relegation.

Data's useful of course, but you have to know how to deal with it.

I should imagine that a hybrid of data analysis and human intuition is the best option. Maybe that each needs to be constantly checked against the other to get the best results but also get better at both?

Funnily enough, I always thought Mick took a Moneyball approach to new signings and the team. Think that’s why he managed to recruit so many under-valued players as well as keep us competitive even when we were at the bottom of the table in spending.

Totally non-digital I imagine, but would be interesting to know if he’s ever looked at the data analysis side.

Pronouns: He/Him

Yesterday I watched Moneyball on 09:11 - May 17 with 922 viewsSW_LondonBlue

Interesting article in the Daily Mail about them yesterday and their approach, young squad, substitutions early in games etc.

Cauley Woodrow being the oldest player a few backs at just 26!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9582825/High-energy-Barnsley-
Yesterday I watched Moneyball on 09:18 - May 17 with 888 viewsElephantintheRoom

All US sports use reams of stats in their recruitment - but stats can only tell you so much - and not very much at all in a random game like football. Even in perhaps the most overanalysed sort in the world, NFL, the draft usually throws up unmitigated disasters after years of over-analysis.

The reality is that you need t spot a good'un and work out if he's right for your team - or again to use the NFL approach if pinning everything on a 'franchise quarterback' build your team around him. And that rarely works either.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

Yesterday I watched Moneyball on 09:37 - May 17 with 802 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yesterday I watched Moneyball on 09:10 - May 17 by Darth_Koont

I should imagine that a hybrid of data analysis and human intuition is the best option. Maybe that each needs to be constantly checked against the other to get the best results but also get better at both?

Funnily enough, I always thought Mick took a Moneyball approach to new signings and the team. Think that’s why he managed to recruit so many under-valued players as well as keep us competitive even when we were at the bottom of the table in spending.

Totally non-digital I imagine, but would be interesting to know if he’s ever looked at the data analysis side.

For sure - you need to know how to understand, and apply the data. Players till have to fit into what you're trying to achieve, from football style to fitting into the dressing room. I suspect Mick used good old fashioned being able to spot a player based on years of experience. I can't imagine there being much data for Tyrone when he was in non-league, for example. I could well be wrong though. Tyrone may have been an exception as well - we must have been looking at performance data generally whenever it was available.
[Post edited 17 May 2021 9:40]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Yesterday I watched Moneyball on 09:38 - May 17 with 795 viewsunbelievablue

Yesterday I watched Moneyball on 09:18 - May 17 by ElephantintheRoom

All US sports use reams of stats in their recruitment - but stats can only tell you so much - and not very much at all in a random game like football. Even in perhaps the most overanalysed sort in the world, NFL, the draft usually throws up unmitigated disasters after years of over-analysis.

The reality is that you need t spot a good'un and work out if he's right for your team - or again to use the NFL approach if pinning everything on a 'franchise quarterback' build your team around him. And that rarely works either.

Baseball is much easier to break down than the NFL when it comes to this kind of thing.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Yesterday I watched Moneyball on 09:48 - May 17 with 768 viewsGuthrum

Yesterday I watched Moneyball on 09:18 - May 17 by ElephantintheRoom

It also has to be used wisely. Integration is a very important factor in all team games. You need not only talent, but to get it to work together. That, in part, comes from personality - which is very difficult to assess on stats alone.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024