Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mask debate 09:06 - Jul 6 with 1844 viewsKeno

do you think you'll be doing this over the couple of weeks?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

The figures quoted are.... on 11:44 - Jul 6 with 458 viewsStokieBlue

The figures quoted are.... on 11:25 - Jul 6 by Bloots

....rolling 7 day averages and not all countries release the data on a daily basis.

So you can't really compare averages with specific days.

I genuinely think that the infection numbers should be ignored in the large part.

There's far more to gained by looking at Hospitalisation/ICU/Deaths numbers.

For instance, last time we were averaging 25,000 cases a day on an upward curve (which has been twice) we were seeing around 420 deaths a day,, we are currently looking at 18.

That's a 95% drop.

Again difficult because a lot of our neighbours don't publish the data as regularly/in depth as we do, but hospitalisation and ICU figures show a similar story with our neighbours currently (most recent data) seeing a far higher hospitalisation/ICU rate than we are, despite the hugely different infections numbers.

If everything is reported as a rolling average than you can linearly extrapolate the probably number of infections. It's imperfective but it's certainly better than just saying "we are doing more tests".

I do agree that hosptialisations and deaths are a more telling statistic with regards to how the virus is progressing with the caveat that it excludes the many people who will get long covid from infections and the impact of lots of people being at home sick on the economy, schools etc.

Vaccines have definitely broken the connection between infections and severe hospitalisation for the moment, we will need a booster with an updated spike protein encoding but hopefully it will continue that way.

I don't think people are against relaxing the rules, just some aspects of the plan which seem a bit haphazard (masks being one of them).

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

We aren't 7th in deaths per capita.... on 11:44 - Jul 6 with 460 viewsBloots

The figures quoted are.... on 11:38 - Jul 6 by WeWereZombies

This is a grim way of looking at it but it is a grim business - we have to ask who is left to die?

There is an argument that we are in such a bad position in the deaths per capita statistics (seventh worst) because of the relatively good longevity of our population compared to many other states. The first waves of Covid-19 hit us hard because we had a higher number of vulnerable elderly. We then have to ask why, for example, this was not the same for Japan - where we could have expected the death rate to be even higher given their density of population and slightly higher life expectancy.

A lot of questions arise even from this one aspect of the pandemic but my concern going forward is that we shall have an ongoing rate of morbidity that does not look as high as the first eighteen months of data but is just as punishing as the deaths will be spread out over a longer period of time due to a reduced number of vulnerable people left to succumb and a slow but sure attrition of the younger, stronger but less cautious sections of the population.

...we are 19th.

We are actually broadly in line with the other major European countries, Germany aside.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Totally agree about the way..... on 11:49 - Jul 6 with 446 viewsBloots

The figures quoted are.... on 11:44 - Jul 6 by StokieBlue

If everything is reported as a rolling average than you can linearly extrapolate the probably number of infections. It's imperfective but it's certainly better than just saying "we are doing more tests".

I do agree that hosptialisations and deaths are a more telling statistic with regards to how the virus is progressing with the caveat that it excludes the many people who will get long covid from infections and the impact of lots of people being at home sick on the economy, schools etc.

Vaccines have definitely broken the connection between infections and severe hospitalisation for the moment, we will need a booster with an updated spike protein encoding but hopefully it will continue that way.

I don't think people are against relaxing the rules, just some aspects of the plan which seem a bit haphazard (masks being one of them).

SB

....it's been planned, total sh*tshow.

I just think that sometimes people see and hear what they want to, and don't look at all the facts.

The obsession with number of infections is damaging in a lot of ways.

I know a number of people who are struggling mentally because of the blinkered approach to the figures.

That's all really.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

We aren't 7th in deaths per capita.... on 12:09 - Jul 6 with 421 viewsWeWereZombies

We aren't 7th in deaths per capita.... on 11:44 - Jul 6 by Bloots

...we are 19th.

We are actually broadly in line with the other major European countries, Germany aside.

Apologies, got total deaths mixed up with my deaths per capita (and nineteenth still is not an enviable position). I think the rest of my post still stands as a valid consideration and deserving of a rational response.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Mask debate on 12:09 - Jul 6 with 419 viewsdelias_cheesy_flaps

Mask debate on 10:21 - Jul 6 by StokieBlue

In practice that means you're unwilling to protect others but have no problem if they choose to protect you.

It's your choice but just want to ensure everyone understands the reality of their decision.

SB

Protect who...anyone vulnerable be it with illness or of a certain age will be fully vaccinated therein no masks are necessary (except in a hospital environment).

The only people who are at risk are those who have opted not to have the vaccine, which is their prerogative.

Being a fully vaccinated member of society myself, I have no problem with people who decided not to have the jab.

Just don't expect people to make allowances for your decision, we are all responsible for our decisions.

Blog: This Might Rub You Up the Wrong Way, it Might Not!

Mask debate on 12:11 - Jul 6 with 414 viewsFtnfwest

Mask debate on 09:55 - Jul 6 by ZurichBlue

Yesterday the UK had the third highest new cases in the world and the numbers are still growing daily with many experts predicting 50-70,000 by the end of the month. So the government decides to lift all control measure and rely on the good sense of the British people!! Hospital admissions are up 24% over the past 7 days and though less people are dying of Covid, thank God, we're in a parlous situation. Contrast this with Australia who have localised lockdowns by city for 2 weeks at a time when there is an outbreak of a couple of dozen new cases.
A massive mistake to remove all remaining control measures in my humble opinion ...

mind you as a case for suggesting masks work, its a bit self defeating
Mask debate on 13:16 - Jul 6 with 385 viewsfactual_blue

Mask debate on 09:45 - Jul 6 by Swansea_Blue

I always thought he was a clever dick

Despite all the evidence to the contrary?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Mask debate on 13:23 - Jul 6 with 368 viewsEwan_Oozami

Mask debate on 12:09 - Jul 6 by delias_cheesy_flaps

Protect who...anyone vulnerable be it with illness or of a certain age will be fully vaccinated therein no masks are necessary (except in a hospital environment).

The only people who are at risk are those who have opted not to have the vaccine, which is their prerogative.

Being a fully vaccinated member of society myself, I have no problem with people who decided not to have the jab.

Just don't expect people to make allowances for your decision, we are all responsible for our decisions.

"Just don't expect people to make allowances for your decision"

Why not? That's exactly what you're doing with the assumptions you are making....

If "we are all responsible for our decisions", do we not have to be responsible for the outcomes of those decisions as well?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Login to get fewer ads

Mask debate on 13:42 - Jul 6 with 361 viewsdickie

Mask debate on 12:09 - Jul 6 by delias_cheesy_flaps

And anyone with immune deficiencies, anyone going through chemo/radiotherapy. Let's just write off a load of people?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024