Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see 22:55 - Jul 11 with 3143 viewsIllinoisblue

Pathetic

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 22:56 - Jul 11 with 2821 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The Italian two weren't great either. Can't imagine the pressure of taking them in that situation, especially when you have just come on as well.

EDIT: and against the best keeper in the world too.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2021 22:57]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 23:07 - Jul 11 with 2734 viewsWeekender

Pressure is huge but really you should never put a penalty 3ft off the ground. Go high or go low but not in between

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 23:09 - Jul 11 with 2724 viewsmarchy

Still, those run-ups looked cool AF didn’t they?

Just run up and punt the fcking thing.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2021 23:09]
3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 23:46 - Jul 11 with 2636 viewsDBlues

Jorginho, Saka, Sancho & Rashford (with basically stopping before kicking it) pretty much showed the reason why I can't stand short run ups.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2021 23:49]
3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 23:52 - Jul 11 with 2578 viewspositivity

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 23:09 - Jul 11 by marchy

Still, those run-ups looked cool AF didn’t they?

Just run up and punt the fcking thing.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2021 23:09]

i don't like the stuttered run-ups and panenkas, but i've seen far worse from the punt school of penalty taking!

(pearce/waddle for example)

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 23:52 - Jul 11 with 2567 viewspositivity

you haven't seen many penalties lately illy! look up ipswich's last 5!

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 00:21 - Jul 12 with 2501 views44_not_out

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 23:07 - Jul 11 by Weekender

Pressure is huge but really you should never put a penalty 3ft off the ground. Go high or go low but not in between

You sound like an expert

Remind us all of how many penalties you’ve taken in front of 60000 and a TV audience of millions.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 0:23]
3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 06:26 - Jul 12 with 2372 viewsWeekender

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 00:21 - Jul 12 by 44_not_out

You sound like an expert

Remind us all of how many penalties you’ve taken in front of 60000 and a TV audience of millions.

It’s not about being an expert it’s common bloody sense.

When a keeper dives for a pen they go before the taker kicks it, they are gambling and trying to cover as much of one side of the goal as possible. As such when the ball arrives at the goal line the keeper is mid dive and a pen at around 3ft off the ground is easier to react to. Hence the term “it’s a good height for the keeper”.

Pressure or not a pro footballer should be able to either hit it high or low and not at the height the keeper prefers.

Login to get fewer ads

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 07:48 - Jul 12 with 2212 viewsmikeybloo88

Come on...yes they were poor penalties, but those 3 lads got hung out to dry a bit. Two of them hadn't even touched the ball before taking their shots...I question more the decision to leave it so late to bring them on and let them get warmed up. In fact, I'd have had them on much earlier as they might actually won us the game in ET. Kane was poor and should have been off in normal time,mbut clearly Southgate had him earmarked for a pen all along and this refusal to take him off reduced the chance of winning without pens IMO...
3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 09:09 - Jul 12 with 2037 viewsKesgrave_Exile

Didn't realise you are Matt LeTissier
3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 09:14 - Jul 12 with 2014 viewshype313

You have obviously forgotton Chris Waddle's at Italia 90.

And there are still a few stewards in California searching for the ball after Baggio's attempt in 94.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 09:25 - Jul 12 with 1980 views44_not_out

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 06:26 - Jul 12 by Weekender

It’s not about being an expert it’s common bloody sense.

When a keeper dives for a pen they go before the taker kicks it, they are gambling and trying to cover as much of one side of the goal as possible. As such when the ball arrives at the goal line the keeper is mid dive and a pen at around 3ft off the ground is easier to react to. Hence the term “it’s a good height for the keeper”.

Pressure or not a pro footballer should be able to either hit it high or low and not at the height the keeper prefers.

Nonsense

If I asked you to walk along a plank that was on the ground, you’d have no problem. Try doing it 50ft in the air, becomes a different issue for most people.
3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 09:26 - Jul 12 with 1972 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

You sound like an expert

What a stupid post. May aswell close the forum if we’re going down the can’t have an opinion unless you’ve been there route

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 09:30 - Jul 12 with 1957 viewsWeekender

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 09:25 - Jul 12 by 44_not_out

Nonsense

If I asked you to walk along a plank that was on the ground, you’d have no problem. Try doing it 50ft in the air, becomes a different issue for most people.

So a professional international footballer cannot reasonably be expected to control the height of a penalty?

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 09:40 - Jul 12 with 1892 viewspositivity

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 09:30 - Jul 12 by Weekender

So a professional international footballer cannot reasonably be expected to control the height of a penalty?

if they could all control the height and direction, the penalty conversion rate for this tournament wouldn't be c50%!

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 09:44 - Jul 12 with 1864 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 09:40 - Jul 12 by positivity

if they could all control the height and direction, the penalty conversion rate for this tournament wouldn't be c50%!

Its not difficult to hit a stationary ball along the ground. Equally its not hard to hit that ball straight with power.

Any of the variations of above would have given us a goal yet for some inexplicable reason they lift it into the air and make it easy.
3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 09:46 - Jul 12 with 1851 viewschicoazul

Ipswich fans have been spoiled over the years when it comes to how to take pens. Miller Wark Clapham.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 10:29 - Jul 12 with 1750 viewspositivity

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 09:44 - Jul 12 by BlueBlueBluex2

Its not difficult to hit a stationary ball along the ground. Equally its not hard to hit that ball straight with power.

Any of the variations of above would have given us a goal yet for some inexplicable reason they lift it into the air and make it easy.

it is incredibly difficult in competition circumstances though against mobile and massive keepers, that's why the conversion rate is so low amongst the best footballers in the world across many countries.

even the better ones like the kanes/ronaldos/jorginhos miss occasionally.

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 10:32 - Jul 12 with 1725 viewsCheltenham_Blue

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 09:25 - Jul 12 by 44_not_out

Nonsense

You are Paul Merton and I claim my £5

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 10:34 - Jul 12 with 1716 viewsitfc_bucks

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 09:46 - Jul 12 by chicoazul

Ipswich fans have been spoiled over the years when it comes to how to take pens. Miller Wark Clapham.

Clapham?

I recall him taking one. A pressure one, but still can't think of him taking one besides the Bolton match.
3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 11:15 - Jul 12 with 1634 viewsbrazil1982

I don't think anyone has mentioned how brilliant Maguire's penalty was. Perfect.
3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 11:50 - Jul 12 with 1562 viewsmarchy

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 11:15 - Jul 12 by brazil1982

I don't think anyone has mentioned how brilliant Maguire's penalty was. Perfect.

Nah, complete fluke, I mean he just ran up in a straight line at a constant pace from a decent distance and kicked the ball, where was all the twinkle-toed poncing around you're supposed to do?
3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 11:51 - Jul 12 with 1553 viewsWeekender

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 10:29 - Jul 12 by positivity

it is incredibly difficult in competition circumstances though against mobile and massive keepers, that's why the conversion rate is so low amongst the best footballers in the world across many countries.

even the better ones like the kanes/ronaldos/jorginhos miss occasionally.

Of course its not an exact science but the penalty taker should stack the odds on their favour as much as possible.

I would say both Sancho and Saka intended to hit the ball above ground level but without going high ala Maguire. This is a high risk strategy as the margin for error is small. If you don't hit it just inside the post (hard to do with the pressure of a shootout) then the odds of success are at best 50/50. If the keeper goes the right way he is almost always going to save a pen of this type.

3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 12:31 - Jul 12 with 1496 viewsOldboy

Totally agree. Rashfords in particular. Should be ashamed of themselves.
3 of the worst penalties you’ll ever see on 12:33 - Jul 12 with 1478 viewsOldboy

You sound like an expert

He isn't a professional footballer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024