Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? 07:56 - Aug 18 with 800 viewsWallingford_Boy

A roll your sleeves up, ball winner type.

We might have some proper class in that area, but worry we’ll get bullied in a lot of games at this level.

RIP Sir Bobby

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 07:59 - Aug 18 with 773 viewsHerbivore

Think the big issue last night was the midfield being bypassed second half, by both sides. They were just sticking it long and trying to pressure us in our third and we were largely humping it long to try and relieve pressure. I'm not sure we need an enforcer necessarily but we need more leadership, someone to stand up and get some control back of the game when things aren't going our way. I wasn't impressed with Evans last night. He was pretty ineffectual with and without the ball and didn't do much to rally the troops.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 08:02 - Aug 18 with 742 viewsportmanking

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 07:59 - Aug 18 by Herbivore

Think the big issue last night was the midfield being bypassed second half, by both sides. They were just sticking it long and trying to pressure us in our third and we were largely humping it long to try and relieve pressure. I'm not sure we need an enforcer necessarily but we need more leadership, someone to stand up and get some control back of the game when things aren't going our way. I wasn't impressed with Evans last night. He was pretty ineffectual with and without the ball and didn't do much to rally the troops.

I think the sheer fact that Evans is captain demonstrates the squad's lack of leadership. I don't feel he is captain material whatsoever. I would give the armband to Cameron Burgess who at least talks like a skipper. It's also possible the armband is weighing heavily on Evans, so moving to Burgess could free him up to focus on his game.
Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 08:04 - Aug 18 with 736 viewsFPL_Tractor

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 07:59 - Aug 18 by Herbivore

I’m surprised neither of the central defenders we’ve bought in are 30+ and obvious captain material.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 08:05 - Aug 18 with 726 viewsDyland

I was thinking that was Evans. He was v good against Morecambe, but has already started annoying me with his ref baiting and play acting. I guess there's a balance to be struck cos we do need a bit of that.

They aren't lightweights, but on a similar point, it's a bit worrying that we don't look very fit for 90 minutes. Let's see how we get on at home again. All of a sudden it really is a massive game for Cook. His subs/changes haven't been especially impressive...

As a few others pointed out, all the changes at the club behind the scenes look good, except the underwhelming coaching staff. All on Cook. No excuses.

Sorry I called you a plonker love, you know it's said with affection innit. But the point stands about being excellent in the first half last night. I can't believe anyone foresaw the abject second half display. Ok, so we didn't "rip them a new one" (sh1t phrase anyway) but we did boss them and should have been two or three up. Even their commentator said we were better than Man City had been there, for twenty minutes. Tongue in cheek, sure, but we did look good.

x

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 08:05 - Aug 18 with 716 viewsHerbivore

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 08:02 - Aug 18 by portmanking

I think the sheer fact that Evans is captain demonstrates the squad's lack of leadership. I don't feel he is captain material whatsoever. I would give the armband to Cameron Burgess who at least talks like a skipper. It's also possible the armband is weighing heavily on Evans, so moving to Burgess could free him up to focus on his game.

The fact we don't officially have a captain is pretty telling. Burgess looks a candidate but he's been here 5 minutes.

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 08:06 - Aug 18 with 701 viewschicoazul

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 08:04 - Aug 18 by FPL_Tractor

I’m surprised neither of the central defenders we’ve bought in are 30+ and obvious captain material.

We tried to get in exactly that but couldn’t make it work. The players we missed out on - Celina Crooks Bradley and maybe Morsy and Smallwood - are all very experienced and what you would call “solid”. Carroll and Burgess aren’t the first choice signings in their positions.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 08:11 - Aug 18 with 670 viewsWallingford_Boy

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 08:05 - Aug 18 by Dyland

I was thinking that was Evans. He was v good against Morecambe, but has already started annoying me with his ref baiting and play acting. I guess there's a balance to be struck cos we do need a bit of that.

They aren't lightweights, but on a similar point, it's a bit worrying that we don't look very fit for 90 minutes. Let's see how we get on at home again. All of a sudden it really is a massive game for Cook. His subs/changes haven't been especially impressive...

As a few others pointed out, all the changes at the club behind the scenes look good, except the underwhelming coaching staff. All on Cook. No excuses.

Sorry I called you a plonker love, you know it's said with affection innit. But the point stands about being excellent in the first half last night. I can't believe anyone foresaw the abject second half display. Ok, so we didn't "rip them a new one" (sh1t phrase anyway) but we did boss them and should have been two or three up. Even their commentator said we were better than Man City had been there, for twenty minutes. Tongue in cheek, sure, but we did look good.

x

Haha no worries, I am a bit of plonker at times on here!

Just frustrating as we can all see the potential!

RIP Sir Bobby

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 08:12 - Aug 18 with 666 viewshomer_123

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 08:05 - Aug 18 by Dyland

x

But herein lies a problem that we've had since Hurst. In short:

'We look good in spells.'

Hurst, Lambert and Cooke all have had this issue - we cannot 'force' ourselves onto a game, take it by the scruff of the neck and boss it. We play in spells - we look good or OK for 15 to 20 mins - then we switch off. And what it worse, after switching off we inevitably get punished for not doing the basics or making individual errors.

Cooke certainly hasn't managed to eradicate this.

I would also point out we were not 'excellent' for the whole of the first half. We could have been one down inside 5 mins - after about 30 mins it was clear and evident that Chelts had sorted themselves out and the game was already somewhat of a battle of attrition at that point.

Finally, Evans - I don't mind the ref baiting and play acting, reminds me, a touch, of Magilton - who was always in the ear of the ref, always talking and demanding. Clearly not that calibre but that side of his game I don't mind.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 08:14 - Aug 18 with 642 viewsportmanking

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 08:05 - Aug 18 by Herbivore

The fact we don't officially have a captain is pretty telling. Burgess looks a candidate but he's been here 5 minutes.

So have most of the squad to be fair...
Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 08:17 - Aug 18 with 622 viewsGlasgowBlue

We’ve needed a nasty CM at this club since Keane tried to sign that bloke with big arms and big shoulders (his name escapes me) and Clegg wouldn’t pay the fee for him.

In this league and with the flair players we now have, a nasty CM is even more urgent.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 08:18 - Aug 18 with 622 viewsDyland

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 08:12 - Aug 18 by homer_123

But herein lies a problem that we've had since Hurst. In short:

'We look good in spells.'

Hurst, Lambert and Cooke all have had this issue - we cannot 'force' ourselves onto a game, take it by the scruff of the neck and boss it. We play in spells - we look good or OK for 15 to 20 mins - then we switch off. And what it worse, after switching off we inevitably get punished for not doing the basics or making individual errors.

Cooke certainly hasn't managed to eradicate this.

I would also point out we were not 'excellent' for the whole of the first half. We could have been one down inside 5 mins - after about 30 mins it was clear and evident that Chelts had sorted themselves out and the game was already somewhat of a battle of attrition at that point.

Finally, Evans - I don't mind the ref baiting and play acting, reminds me, a touch, of Magilton - who was always in the ear of the ref, always talking and demanding. Clearly not that calibre but that side of his game I don't mind.

yeh I was gonna caveat that about the first half, that it wasn't one way traffic by any means, up until our goal...

I'm sure you get it Homers, but sometimes yer can't say anything positive without being called out with a straw man or whatever. I feel I have to add something to every comment,e.g. -

I think our start to the season has been rubbish and Cook has it all to prove.

:)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 08:19 - Aug 18 with 605 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 08:05 - Aug 18 by Herbivore

We don't have a captain or assistant manager.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 08:50 - Aug 18 with 503 viewsitfcjoe

You need a Cole Skuse type in there, someone who's first instinct is to shut the back door to allow the full backs to play. We've signed 3 central midfielders and they all are players who want to progress the ball rather than stop the other team - it gives an imbalance when full backs bomb on

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 08:55 - Aug 18 with 470 viewsHerbivore

Anyone else think we need a proper nasty CM? on 08:50 - Aug 18 by itfcjoe

You need a Cole Skuse type in there, someone who's first instinct is to shut the back door to allow the full backs to play. We've signed 3 central midfielders and they all are players who want to progress the ball rather than stop the other team - it gives an imbalance when full backs bomb on

I said last night that there is a slight worry that we've signed a load of tidy footballers but not necessarily ones that have the steel needed for this level of football. I think Harper has the attributes to do the defensive work but he's still relatively inexperienced and can't do it all. Evans looks neat enough mostly but I wasn't impressed with him defensively last night and he was sloppy with the ball at times too.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024