Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now 16:17 - Aug 18 with 2695 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/scottish-independence-sturgeon-sn

Time to have an English referendum on keeping them?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 16:18 - Aug 18 with 1885 viewsCotty

What is England's current deficit? Must be absolutely mammoth?
Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 16:19 - Aug 18 with 1881 viewsgiant_stow

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 16:18 - Aug 18 by Cotty

I think it's 14.something%

Great news all round!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 16:27 - Aug 18 with 1845 viewsnoggin

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 16:19 - Aug 18 by giant_stow

I think it's 14.something%

Great news all round!

Yeah but at least multi nationals can avoid paying corporation tax which means they can employ people on minimum wage.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 16:31 - Aug 18 with 1832 viewsgiant_stow

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 16:27 - Aug 18 by noggin

Yeah but at least multi nationals can avoid paying corporation tax which means they can employ people on minimum wage.

Assuming you're right, even better news (we're flucked innit)

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 16:59 - Aug 18 with 1775 viewsGlasgowBlue

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 16:18 - Aug 18 by Cotty

The UK as a whole is 14.3%. With Scotland at 24% you can do the maths. Obviously going to be lower than 14.3% unless Wales and NI are even lower, which I very much doubt.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 17:08 - Aug 18 with 1757 viewstractordownsouth

Made me laugh the other day when Ian Blackford suggested that the best way to negate the negative effects of the UK going independent from its nearest trading partners would be for Scotland to go independent and walk away from its nearest trading partners.

They won’t be admitted to the EU with that kind of deficit.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 17:13 - Aug 18 with 1740 viewsWeWereZombies

Or perhaps time for England to provide the decent National Health Service and quality of life that Scotland enjoys? Considering that Joel Barnett said in later life he couldn't exactly remember how the Barnett formula he was responsible for worked I have my doubts about the accuracy, or even rationality, of these 14% and 24% deficit estimates. What I do know is that I am being looked after better since moving to Scotland eight years ago and that every time I come down to England the pace of life seems more frenetic whilst things like common courtesy, looking out for others and even decent driving skills have deteriorated. Not that I put the superiority of Scotland down to the SNP, it might just be something as simple as having a bit of space resulting in more ease for most of the population.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 17:33 - Aug 18 with 1664 viewsGlasgowBlue

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 17:13 - Aug 18 by WeWereZombies

Or perhaps time for England to provide the decent National Health Service and quality of life that Scotland enjoys? Considering that Joel Barnett said in later life he couldn't exactly remember how the Barnett formula he was responsible for worked I have my doubts about the accuracy, or even rationality, of these 14% and 24% deficit estimates. What I do know is that I am being looked after better since moving to Scotland eight years ago and that every time I come down to England the pace of life seems more frenetic whilst things like common courtesy, looking out for others and even decent driving skills have deteriorated. Not that I put the superiority of Scotland down to the SNP, it might just be something as simple as having a bit of space resulting in more ease for most of the population.

Don’t you live on the Isle of Skye?

The pace of life in Glasgow is considerably more frenetic. And driving skills in Easterhouse and Shettledton aren’t much different to those in Salford and Moss Side.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 17:35 - Aug 18 with 1663 viewsWeWereZombies

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 17:33 - Aug 18 by GlasgowBlue

The pace of life in Glasgow is considerably more frenetic. And driving skills in Easterhouse and Shettledton aren’t much different to those in Salford and Moss Side.

Ach, I go elsewhere too. I stopped overnight in Bathgate on the way down this time.

Won't be doing that again.

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 17:36 - Aug 18 with 1660 viewsKeno

maybe they just need time to gel?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 17:42 - Aug 18 with 1634 viewsWeWereZombies

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 17:33 - Aug 18 by GlasgowBlue

And another thing - I bet you don't get stuck behind camper vans all the time in Easterhouse.

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 17:43 - Aug 18 with 1620 viewsGlasgowBlue

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 17:35 - Aug 18 by WeWereZombies

Ach, I go elsewhere too. I stopped overnight in Bathgate on the way down this time.

Won't be doing that again.

I was in your neck of the woods last week. Had three days in Nairn, two days in Gairloch, a day in Ullapool before driving to Eilean Donan Castle. Thought as I was in the area It would be a shame not to drive over the bridge to say I’d been to Skye. Nice chip shop on the A87 juts a few yards from the first roundabout.

Iron Lion Zion

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 17:45 - Aug 18 with 1621 viewsWeWereZombies

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 17:43 - Aug 18 by GlasgowBlue

I was in your neck of the woods last week. Had three days in Nairn, two days in Gairloch, a day in Ullapool before driving to Eilean Donan Castle. Thought as I was in the area It would be a shame not to drive over the bridge to say I’d been to Skye. Nice chip shop on the A87 juts a few yards from the first roundabout.

The one that looks like a posh shack just by Kyleakin? Good to know it is decent, never tried it myself, how much do they charge for a fish supper?

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 17:47 - Aug 18 with 1612 viewsKeno

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 17:42 - Aug 18 by WeWereZombies

And another thing - I bet you don't get stuck behind camper vans all the time in Easterhouse.

When I become El Presidente of the Republica of Kenotania law number 1 will be "the towing of caravan is banned and is will be legal to demolish any caravan being towed by whatever means is available to you"

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 17:48 - Aug 18 with 1602 viewsGlasgowBlue

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 17:45 - Aug 18 by WeWereZombies

The one that looks like a posh shack just by Kyleakin? Good to know it is decent, never tried it myself, how much do they charge for a fish supper?

That’s the one. No idea of cost as I sat in the car whilst the Mrs paid.

Iron Lion Zion

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 17:54 - Aug 18 with 1591 viewsWeWereZombies

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 17:48 - Aug 18 by GlasgowBlue

That’s the one. No idea of cost as I sat in the car whilst the Mrs paid.

I paid £7.50 at the the end of the week before last and it was greasy as feck, as I didn't want to stink out the hotel room I wandered around the centre of Bathgate eating them in the rain and watching the young folk of the town lining up maskless to cram themselves into nightclubs.

Last Friday I was in Kendal and got a much better fish and chips for £8.15, would have been £7.65 but they asked if I wanted tartare sauce and charged me 50p for a pot of the stuff, the English bastids...

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 18:00 - Aug 18 with 1577 viewsWeWereZombies

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 17:47 - Aug 18 by Keno

When I become El Presidente of the Republica of Kenotania law number 1 will be "the towing of caravan is banned and is will be legal to demolish any caravan being towed by whatever means is available to you"

I have suggested to my neighbours that we put a sign up at the top the glen saying 'Zombie Reserve - Campervans welcome' with a backdrop of a vehicle in flames and one of the living dead gnawing on a human bone, but apparently that is going a little too far.

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 18:13 - Aug 18 with 1529 viewsKeno

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 18:00 - Aug 18 by WeWereZombies

I have suggested to my neighbours that we put a sign up at the top the glen saying 'Zombie Reserve - Campervans welcome' with a backdrop of a vehicle in flames and one of the living dead gnawing on a human bone, but apparently that is going a little too far.

I like it!!

I struggled to get into Walking Dead until someone on here suggested I considered the Zombie were Norwich fans, and after that I quite enjoyed it

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 18:14 - Aug 18 with 1520 viewslowhouseblue

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 16:59 - Aug 18 by GlasgowBlue

The UK as a whole is 14.3%. With Scotland at 24% you can do the maths. Obviously going to be lower than 14.3% unless Wales and NI are even lower, which I very much doubt.

is scotland's deficit before or after the usual fiscal subsidy from the rest of the UK?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 18:18 - Aug 18 with 1511 viewsDarth_Koont

Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales are the only countries in North Western Europe that can’t pay their own way.

Hmmm. I wonder what the common link is?

Pronouns: He/Him

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 18:50 - Aug 18 with 1445 viewsDarth_Koont

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 17:08 - Aug 18 by tractordownsouth

Made me laugh the other day when Ian Blackford suggested that the best way to negate the negative effects of the UK going independent from its nearest trading partners would be for Scotland to go independent and walk away from its nearest trading partners.

They won’t be admitted to the EU with that kind of deficit.

There’s no precedent for a former-EU country to become independent and thus rejoin the EU. What rules will apply?

And Blackford is right. Scotland (NI, Wales, the North East of England and other far flung regions of the UK for that matter) has fallen back in comparison with our European neighbours being on the periphery of one of the most centralised and thus politically, socially and economically unbalanced countries in the OECD.

Independence would make a massive difference and give Scotland and its people the opportunity to actually have an economy and trading partners that suit them and being a small European nation in 2021.

What’s the alternative? Keep falling further behind? Pretend that Levelling Up isn’t exactly what we’ve been talking about all the time?

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 19:56 - Aug 18 with 1360 viewsDurovigutum

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 18:50 - Aug 18 by Darth_Koont

There’s no precedent for a former-EU country to become independent and thus rejoin the EU. What rules will apply?

And Blackford is right. Scotland (NI, Wales, the North East of England and other far flung regions of the UK for that matter) has fallen back in comparison with our European neighbours being on the periphery of one of the most centralised and thus politically, socially and economically unbalanced countries in the OECD.

Independence would make a massive difference and give Scotland and its people the opportunity to actually have an economy and trading partners that suit them and being a small European nation in 2021.

What’s the alternative? Keep falling further behind? Pretend that Levelling Up isn’t exactly what we’ve been talking about all the time?

The question to ask is where are the competent leaders that might achieve that going to come from? None of the current lot, either side of the border, are showing any signs of this level of capability. Where is the published narrative for our glorious future?
Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 20:30 - Aug 18 with 1315 viewsWeWereZombies

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 19:56 - Aug 18 by Durovigutum

The question to ask is where are the competent leaders that might achieve that going to come from? None of the current lot, either side of the border, are showing any signs of this level of capability. Where is the published narrative for our glorious future?

I'm not an SNP voter and I voted 'Nay' in 2014 but I have to say I was impressed with the presentations that Nicola gave in the last eighteen months, and felt there was no comparison between her competence and the shambolic showing of Boris Johnson, Cummings, Hancock et al. With the exception of a couple of Express readers everyone I know locally on Skye feels the same.

With a booming tourist industry and the crofters having a good year it is difficult to give credibility to this concept of Scotland being the poor neighbour. Add to that the dirty business of new oilfields in the North Sea and the clean business of a lot of wind and hydro with tidal hopefully coming on stream soon then the figures look even more made up to try and keep some false illusion going.

I don't want to see Scotland leave the Union but the responsibility for fair treatment, and the political will to improve their own lot, lies with the English. You need to up your game. Because if there is an Indyref2 that results in a strong 'Aye' result the political damage to England will be felt for decades, not just in a potential knock on effect in the movement for a united Ireland but in strong alliances there and with the Scandinavian nations being a crucial manoeuvre in necessary rapprochement with Russia.

With a number of EU schemes continuing in Scotland and especially in Northern Ireland it is beginning to look like Brexit has only half happened. The economic and military necessities of having a united front at the north of the continent, both on land and sea, will give importance to Scotland, not least due to Scotland's sizeable maritime area.

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 20:37 - Aug 18 with 1293 viewsDarth_Koont

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 19:56 - Aug 18 by Durovigutum

We don’t know about leadership (although I’d take Sturgeon over Johnson every time and on every question). But that’s what a post-Independence Scottish democracy is for.

The SNP is a rather clumsy umbrella for pro-independence with a social democratic-ish feel. The Unionists are hopelessly bound to an outdated and out of touch UK politics so it’s actually quite difficult to see what they stand for in any real sense.

I’d put the Scottish political centre of balance on the centre-left. And a fair bit left of the centre-right of Labour, the LibDems and certainly the right of the Conservatives. So there’d need to be a big re-organisation of political representation and how people talk after independence. Which would only be a good thing.

If I were a betting man, I’d bet on a green social democrat party rising to the top and aligning Scotland with the Nordic nations. Theirs would certainly be a tried and tested approach to follow.

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 20:42 - Aug 18 with 1271 viewsDarth_Koont

Scotland's deficit getting a bit pricey now on 20:30 - Aug 18 by WeWereZombies

I'm not an SNP voter and I voted 'Nay' in 2014 but I have to say I was impressed with the presentations that Nicola gave in the last eighteen months, and felt there was no comparison between her competence and the shambolic showing of Boris Johnson, Cummings, Hancock et al. With the exception of a couple of Express readers everyone I know locally on Skye feels the same.

With a booming tourist industry and the crofters having a good year it is difficult to give credibility to this concept of Scotland being the poor neighbour. Add to that the dirty business of new oilfields in the North Sea and the clean business of a lot of wind and hydro with tidal hopefully coming on stream soon then the figures look even more made up to try and keep some false illusion going.

I don't want to see Scotland leave the Union but the responsibility for fair treatment, and the political will to improve their own lot, lies with the English. You need to up your game. Because if there is an Indyref2 that results in a strong 'Aye' result the political damage to England will be felt for decades, not just in a potential knock on effect in the movement for a united Ireland but in strong alliances there and with the Scandinavian nations being a crucial manoeuvre in necessary rapprochement with Russia.

With a number of EU schemes continuing in Scotland and especially in Northern Ireland it is beginning to look like Brexit has only half happened. The economic and military necessities of having a united front at the north of the continent, both on land and sea, will give importance to Scotland, not least due to Scotland's sizeable maritime area.

Well said.

And as a lover of the UK and its regions as a whole, it’s a crying shame it’s come to this. People confuse Pro-Independence with some sort of crazed nationalism but nothing could be further from the truth – it’s predominantly people who think society can and should be better.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024