Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Forget Blackpool….. 07:28 - Aug 26 with 10675 viewsitfcjoe

…..nearly 2/3s of team with 10 points after 4 games will finish in the top 6 at the end of the season.

1 in 4 of them will finish in the top 2.

It’s vital we start winning soon, we have a much tougher September ahead of us.

Interestingly in the last 22 seasons, the team in 20th place (i.e. us this year) have finished in the top 2 twice, top 6 just once and relegated 3 times
[Post edited 26 Aug 2021 7:32]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Forget Blackpool….. on 13:45 - Aug 27 with 1183 viewsDarth_Koont

I was think about this: how does that compare to any other random 4-game sequence?

I’m guessing about the same.

All we need to do is make sure that 2 points from 4 games is very much an anomaly (it certainly doesn’t look like it’ll be the norm at least).
[Post edited 27 Aug 2021 13:47]

Pronouns: He/Him

Forget Blackpool….. on 14:16 - Aug 27 with 1127 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Forget Blackpool….. on 09:03 - Aug 26 by Herbivore

Indeed. This creeping notion that promotion isn't the goal this year is really odd and represents a shameful lowering of expectations. The likes of Harper, Edwards, Chaplin, Edmundson etc. haven't come here expecting to spend at least 2 years in League 1. Ashton hasn't worked his arse off to bring those players in to spend 2 years in League 1. The owners haven't put the money in to sign those players to spend 2 years in League 1 either. The fans downplaying expectations is bizarre, especially when some of those fans are those who bemoaned a culture of accepting mediocrity at the club prior to this season.

In most cases the downplaying of expectations is just being realistic.

Joe's stats are largely meaningless given the unique set of circumstances we're in. How many of those clubs had a whole new structure off the pitch and whole new team on it?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Forget Blackpool….. on 14:28 - Aug 27 with 1100 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Forget Blackpool….. on 10:14 - Aug 26 by 44_not_out

So another season of mediocrity but where we can all say ‘football is better’ ‘starting to gel’ and ‘green shoots’ blah blah blah

And then a fourth season in League One where we can say, we’ll give a right go this season. I don’t think I can contain my excitement.

The levels of expectation on here by some…. Give me strength

Yes, you do need strength. The strength of patience.

Sone on here talk like patience is a bad thing. It's not. In fact it's a virtue.

Forget Blackpool….. on 14:33 - Aug 27 with 1093 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Forget Blackpool….. on 11:17 - Aug 26 by timothyeo

Tell me about it. Some of our fans deserve a decade of third tier football when they'd rather defend a manager who's achieved nothing for us than demand we actually do something.

What are you demanding we do Tim?

Forget Blackpool….. on 14:35 - Aug 27 with 1091 viewsjayessess

Forget Blackpool….. on 14:28 - Aug 27 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yes, you do need strength. The strength of patience.

Sone on here talk like patience is a bad thing. It's not. In fact it's a virtue.

Is patience necessarily a virtue for a football club? Jury is very much out on that one.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Forget Blackpool….. on 14:56 - Aug 27 with 1068 viewsHerbivore

Forget Blackpool….. on 14:35 - Aug 27 by jayessess

Is patience necessarily a virtue for a football club? Jury is very much out on that one.

Holding on to Lambert for more than a year too long definitely worked out well.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Forget Blackpool….. on 15:24 - Aug 27 with 1029 viewsjayessess

Forget Blackpool….. on 14:56 - Aug 27 by Herbivore

Roy Keane got a season too many, as did Paul Jewell.

Forget Blackpool….. on 16:47 - Aug 27 with 977 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Forget Blackpool….. on 14:56 - Aug 27 by Herbivore

Another example of Evans causing more damage than just a lack of financial decisions

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Login to get fewer ads

Forget Blackpool….. on 18:54 - Aug 27 with 924 viewstimothyeo

Forget Blackpool….. on 16:47 - Aug 27 by The_Romford_Blue

Another example of Evans causing more damage than just a lack of financial decisions

Agreed, yet ironically if this forum is anything to go by most want to give our current manager a completely free pass for last season, and no real pressure to get promoted this one.
Forget Blackpool….. on 19:18 - Aug 27 with 915 viewsKeaneish

Forget Blackpool….. on 18:54 - Aug 27 by timothyeo

Agreed, yet ironically if this forum is anything to go by most want to give our current manager a completely free pass for last season, and no real pressure to get promoted this one.

Context is everything. No need to apply a blanket approach for simplicity sake. No one is giving Cook a free pass but there are mitigating circumstances. Maybe let’s seek an alternative discourse rather than polarising every single debate.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Forget Blackpool….. on 19:54 - Aug 27 with 883 viewsCuffy81

Very few are giving Cook a free pass, his record here is poor and has to improve and quickly, however some of us who actually attend the games can see we are improving, writing us off for promotion already is unnecessarily negative.
Forget Blackpool….. on 20:55 - Aug 27 with 842 viewsitfcjoe

The key is he seems to realise this, and speaks honestly and frankly about it - if he spoke in the way about himself like those fawning over him do so then I'd be worried - but he's a realist

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Forget Blackpool….. on 21:38 - Aug 27 with 813 viewstimothyeo

Forget Blackpool….. on 20:55 - Aug 27 by itfcjoe

The key is he seems to realise this, and speaks honestly and frankly about it - if he spoke in the way about himself like those fawning over him do so then I'd be worried - but he's a realist

Yes, fair play to Cook on that one. He is more realistic than a lot of the posters on here, even though it's his future and career we're talking about.
Forget Blackpool….. on 21:57 - Aug 27 with 800 viewsKeaneish

Forget Blackpool….. on 21:38 - Aug 27 by timothyeo

Yes, fair play to Cook on that one. He is more realistic than a lot of the posters on here, even though it's his future and career we're talking about.

I also think he knows he’ll get more time than the other extreme posters are giving him on here; it goes both ways.

Forget Blackpool….. on 22:36 - Aug 27 with 765 viewsistanblue

Forget Blackpool….. on 07:33 - Aug 26 by Bluefish

For some bizarre reason a freak season like Blackpool is seen as the norm. It is almost like others posters think having just 2 points isna benefit so we can be like Blackpool. All very odd and doesn't seem to grasp how hard it is to overturn the defect against so many teams. It is easy against a few teams but not most of the league

Spot on. This ''bUt BlAcKpOoL'' line of argument is thoroughly cringe and embarrassing.
Forget Blackpool….. on 23:20 - Aug 27 with 727 viewstimothyeo

Forget Blackpool….. on 21:57 - Aug 27 by Keaneish

I also think he knows he’ll get more time than the other extreme posters are giving him on here; it goes both ways.

I suggest if some fans continue to toe the line that this is the best football in 30 years, or that Cook is already our best manager of the past 15 years (all things that have been said on this forum by more than one poster) then he certainly will think he's got an unlimited amount of time.
Forget Blackpool….. on 00:05 - Aug 28 with 693 viewsjayessess

Forget Blackpool….. on 21:57 - Aug 27 by Keaneish

For me, just "time" is the wrong way to think about it. At every point in a managerial stint there's a level that's intolerable. If we'd lost our first 4 games 5-0 each, he'd already be near the exit. If we don't win any of our first 10, similar. The longer he's in post the closer that "tolerable" level gets to the owners' actual objectives.

Ultimately I think we all understand that, all we're differing on is how quickly those lines converge.

Forget Blackpool….. on 08:49 - Aug 28 with 610 viewsCuffy81

Forget Blackpool….. on 23:20 - Aug 27 by timothyeo

I suggest if some fans continue to toe the line that this is the best football in 30 years, or that Cook is already our best manager of the past 15 years (all things that have been said on this forum by more than one poster) then he certainly will think he's got an unlimited amount of time.

You are cherry picking every extremely positively opinion to fit your own negative agenda - it's incredibly tedious.

How about attend the game today, get behind the team and manager and you never know - you might enjoy it
Forget Blackpool….. on 08:51 - Aug 28 with 606 viewsKeaneish

Forget Blackpool….. on 23:20 - Aug 27 by timothyeo

Let’s hope he looks vex up to his reputation and smashes it for the sanity of all Ipswich fans and does become the best manager in the last 15 years so there’s no debate. It’s about time we had success and by that I mean blowing away MM’s achievements so we van truly move forward as a unified fan base looking forward, not back.

Forget Blackpool….. on 08:58 - Aug 28 with 596 viewsHerbivore

Forget Blackpool….. on 08:51 - Aug 28 by Keaneish

Let’s hope he looks vex up to his reputation and smashes it for the sanity of all Ipswich fans and does become the best manager in the last 15 years so there’s no debate. It’s about time we had success and by that I mean blowing away MM’s achievements so we van truly move forward as a unified fan base looking forward, not back.

If Cook blows away MM's achievements it'll mean he's taken us up to the Prem. We'd all be delighted with that in sure.

Forget Blackpool….. on 09:08 - Aug 28 with 582 viewsKeaneish

Forget Blackpool….. on 08:58 - Aug 28 by Herbivore

If Cook blows away MM's achievements it'll mean he's taken us up to the Prem. We'd all be delighted with that in sure.

…sustained top 8 Championship and regular play-off challengers would surpass MM too.

Forget Blackpool….. on 09:31 - Aug 28 with 563 viewsHerbivore

Forget Blackpool….. on 09:08 - Aug 28 by Keaneish

…sustained top 8 Championship and regular play-off challengers would surpass MM too.

Hmmm. You said blow them out of the water, which for me would mean promotion. We finished top 8 twice under MM plus one 9th place finish. Essentially repeating that feat wouldn't really blow him out of the water.

Forget Blackpool….. on 09:51 - Aug 28 with 540 viewsKeaneish

Forget Blackpool….. on 09:31 - Aug 28 by Herbivore

Hmmm. You said blow them out of the water, which for me would mean promotion. We finished top 8 twice under MM plus one 9th place finish. Essentially repeating that feat wouldn't really blow him out of the water.

True but I’d argue we didn’t really threaten the play-offs in several of those seasons or look like real challengers like we did under Royle or Burley.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024