Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ambitious transfers 11:44 - Aug 26 with 2158 viewsJDB23

I seem to remember when we were first linked to Celina that Phil and maybe even the EADT boys mentioned we were potentially looking at targets that were even more ambitious than the Celina deal.

Now we are near the end of the window I assume none of the players we’ve brought in were any of those targets? Edwards is obviously a bit special for this level but he’s probably the only one who could potentially fit in that category. Do we think we missed out on a lot of our top priority targets, or were most of those more hope than expectation?
Ambitious transfers on 11:47 - Aug 26 with 2120 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Would Carroll have been more ambitious than Celina? I don't know. I suppose a lot depends on how good you consider both to be.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Ambitious transfers on 12:00 - Aug 26 with 2056 viewsPhilTWTD

Celina and Crooks were the big, ambitious targets I think, although I know Waghorn was another who they were seriously looking at. I think we were hopeful of getting Crooks until Middlesbrough came into the reckoning and were still talking to Celina's people - along with other clubs - until his illness scuppered him moving this window.
Ambitious transfers on 12:08 - Aug 26 with 1983 viewsJDB23

Ambitious transfers on 11:47 - Aug 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

Would Carroll have been more ambitious than Celina? I don't know. I suppose a lot depends on how good you consider both to be.

Not for me. More ambitious than Celina would be a guaranteed starter with the general consensus being they are too good for league 1. I think missing out on Crooks was a real blow to their plans tbh, would have felt a lot more confident in our chances with him on board.
Ambitious transfers on 13:48 - Aug 26 with 1688 viewsElephantintheRoom

Depends on how you want to judge Celina, surely - a misfit who went the entire season without acoring a goal contributing in full to relegation is not that ambitious really.

And you could tell from the floundering of the man in the open neck shirt that Ftanchise Town were taking the punt gun approach to player recruitment.

Plus of course you have to remember that there were season tickets to sell - and to admit the truth - we're after a load of wannabees, and out of contract journeymen, strangley suggestive of the Hurst and Deputy Doig approach probably wouldn't cut it.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Ambitious transfers on 15:06 - Aug 26 with 1454 viewsDanTheMan

Ambitious transfers on 13:48 - Aug 26 by ElephantintheRoom

Depends on how you want to judge Celina, surely - a misfit who went the entire season without acoring a goal contributing in full to relegation is not that ambitious really.

And you could tell from the floundering of the man in the open neck shirt that Ftanchise Town were taking the punt gun approach to player recruitment.

Plus of course you have to remember that there were season tickets to sell - and to admit the truth - we're after a load of wannabees, and out of contract journeymen, strangley suggestive of the Hurst and Deputy Doig approach probably wouldn't cut it.

"a misfit who went the entire season without acoring a goal contributing in full to relegation is not that ambitious really."

In Ligue 1...

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Ambitious transfers on 15:11 - Aug 26 with 1420 viewsHerbivore

Give it a rest, ffs.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Ambitious transfers on 15:15 - Aug 26 with 1399 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Could you say whether you are positive about the direction the club is going? It is a little tricky to tell from your posts.

Ambitious transfers on 15:20 - Aug 26 with 1377 viewsBRITFC

I think Chaplin (key part of Champ play off side), Edmundson (stand out in Europa League) and Edwards (5 prem appearances) are signings which fit the above and beyond description. Coulson might also be included given how well Boro fans rate him/ seemed to be in Warnock's plans.
Login to get fewer ads

Ambitious transfers on 15:27 - Aug 26 with 1330 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Ambitious transfers on 15:20 - Aug 26 by BRITFC

I think Chaplin (key part of Champ play off side), Edmundson (stand out in Europa League) and Edwards (5 prem appearances) are signings which fit the above and beyond description. Coulson might also be included given how well Boro fans rate him/ seemed to be in Warnock's plans.

None of them is really a marquee signing though. Then again, I would suggest Celina only would be considered one because he was here before.

We have certainly signed a good number of very good players. We don't appear to have signed an equivalent of Drogba or Wright-Phillips, though. Maybe we will in time. Maybe it would require us being an upwardly mobile club in the Championship to be able to.

Ambitious transfers on 15:49 - Aug 26 with 1267 viewstractorboy1978

Ambitious transfers on 15:27 - Aug 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

None of them is really a marquee signing though. Then again, I would suggest Celina only would be considered one because he was here before.

We have certainly signed a good number of very good players. We don't appear to have signed an equivalent of Drogba or Wright-Phillips, though. Maybe we will in time. Maybe it would require us being an upwardly mobile club in the Championship to be able to.

By my reckoning we've signed 7 players with known Championship interest and convinced another 3 (all aged 25 or under) to drop a level. Chaplin/Bonne certainly wouldn't have dropped down a league for anyone else. If you define marquee as a massive name then perhaps we haven't signed one but there are several you'd have thought we had no right to sign a couple of months ago.
Ambitious transfers on 15:53 - Aug 26 with 1230 viewsBlueBadger

Have you ever cut yourself through being so edgy?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Ambitious transfers on 15:58 - Aug 26 with 1205 viewsHerbivore

Ambitious transfers on 15:27 - Aug 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

I'd rather an Edwards or a Chaplin or a Harper than a Wright-Phillips or Drogba to be honest. I can understand that kind of signing when seeking to establish a soccer team in a country where soccer is down the list of popular sports. It attracts publicity and potentially fans. We don't really need that kind of signing when all we need to attract 20k to Portman Road in the third division is a little bit of hope.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024