Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harper further forward ? 19:49 - Sep 18 with 2083 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Thought he looked quality when he came on late.

Most we have got out of a 10 all season, put in some nice balls across the face of goal. Suits him far more than that deep position.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Harper further forward ? on 23:15 - Sep 18 with 1837 viewsquad

I think it will be Morsy and Carroll/Evans as the two defensive midfielders from now on.

I think that Harper will be on the subs bench from now on and will replace either Celina or Fraser when or if they fade late on in games.
The EADT guys were saying the same on 23:28 - Sep 18 with 1802 viewsunstableblue

In their excellent post match review

But made the point there are probably 3 players ahead of him

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Harper further forward ? on 23:45 - Sep 18 with 1743 viewsDarth_Koont

He was very good. Apart from his work in and around the box, the ball stuck to him and helped drag us up the pitch.

Bit sceptical at first but it was a good tactical move by Cook.

Harper showed a lot of that forward intent from CM against Morecambe but has dropped back since. I think having Morsy alongside should release him forward more and let him show the same strengths he showed today.

On a side note, apart from the win of course, it’s great to see the team piecing itself together more and more. And still with lots to come from Celina, Edwards, Pigott, Chaplin etc. in attack.

Pronouns: He/Him

Harper further forward ? on 08:35 - Sep 19 with 1458 viewsMummy_Short_Arms

This kid has so much potential: he's got the technical skills, just enough pace, and physicality to eventually play in the premier league. Not sure that's applicable to any of our other players. Edwards perhaps, if he develops some consistency. As you say, he's probably not a defensive midfielder. So not sure where he fits in Cook's system. Perhaps could play alongside Morsy? But more likely to be coming off the bench to replace the number 10.
Harper further forward ? on 09:15 - Sep 19 with 1383 viewsPhilTWTD

Paul Cook said much the same afterwards, suggested we've been playing him in the wrong position up to now.
Harper further forward ? on 10:09 - Sep 19 with 1247 viewsgordon

Harper further forward ? on 09:15 - Sep 19 by PhilTWTD

Paul Cook said much the same afterwards, suggested we've been playing him in the wrong position up to now.

We've certainly got a good few contenders for that number 10 role then!
Harper further forward ? on 10:32 - Sep 19 with 1205 viewsSW_LondonBlue

L1 Yaya Touré - moved from defensive 2 to further forward like at City ...
[Post edited 19 Sep 2021 10:34]
Harper further forward ? on 10:35 - Sep 19 with 1185 viewsWickets

WBA fans will tell you just this and i posted it when he signed as i have a mate who is a season ticket holder there .
Login to get fewer ads

Harper further forward ? on 11:20 - Sep 19 with 1093 viewsITFCBlues

Harper further forward ? on 23:45 - Sep 18 by Darth_Koont

He was very good. Apart from his work in and around the box, the ball stuck to him and helped drag us up the pitch.

Bit sceptical at first but it was a good tactical move by Cook.

Harper showed a lot of that forward intent from CM against Morecambe but has dropped back since. I think having Morsy alongside should release him forward more and let him show the same strengths he showed today.

On a side note, apart from the win of course, it’s great to see the team piecing itself together more and more. And still with lots to come from Celina, Edwards, Pigott, Chaplin etc. in attack.

I don't thibk having Morsy alongside Harper will make a difference. Not sure he's capable of playing that deeper role. It requires you to sit and not advance forward in this system. Yesterday he was playing as a 10 which allowed him that freedom

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Harper further forward ? on 12:15 - Sep 19 with 1028 viewsDarth_Koont

Harper further forward ? on 11:20 - Sep 19 by ITFCBlues

I don't thibk having Morsy alongside Harper will make a difference. Not sure he's capable of playing that deeper role. It requires you to sit and not advance forward in this system. Yesterday he was playing as a 10 which allowed him that freedom

Possibly. Depends on the overall team balance particularly Morsy and the solidity of the back 4.

If we continue to have a go at teams but they aren’t getting as much change out of us then we and Harper can push further up the pitch.

We’d be much more like we were against Morecambe rather than against Bolton. And in that first game Harper was playing up to and into the box frequently. Since then as we’ve struggled defensively he’s dropped back into that defensive position he’s not really that comfortable with. Ditto Evans to be fair.

Harper further forward ? on 12:34 - Sep 19 with 963 viewsITFCBlues

Harper further forward ? on 12:15 - Sep 19 by Darth_Koont

Possibly. Depends on the overall team balance particularly Morsy and the solidity of the back 4.

If we continue to have a go at teams but they aren’t getting as much change out of us then we and Harper can push further up the pitch.

We’d be much more like we were against Morecambe rather than against Bolton. And in that first game Harper was playing up to and into the box frequently. Since then as we’ve struggled defensively he’s dropped back into that defensive position he’s not really that comfortable with. Ditto Evans to be fair.

Do you think Morsy slots straight into the side? I think Morsy and Carroll should be the starting pair. Evans has really dropped off since the Morecambe game although perhaps Morsy can bring the best out of him?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Harper further forward ? on 12:37 - Sep 19 with 955 viewsFPL_Tractor

Harper further forward ? on 23:15 - Sep 18 by quad

I think it will be Morsy and Carroll/Evans as the two defensive midfielders from now on.

I think that Harper will be on the subs bench from now on and will replace either Celina or Fraser when or if they fade late on in games.

I could see the sense of having Harper ahead of the central midfield 2 in certain tough looking games to give us more solidity. However I could see he won’t want to make unforced changes for Saturday.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

Harper further forward ? on 12:46 - Sep 19 with 919 viewsRomeo4

For me that’s another real plus from yesterday. Knowing Harper can play that advanced midfield role adds more flexibility to our squad. Gives us a different option when we want to add strength and compact that midfield area.
Harper further forward ? on 12:53 - Sep 19 with 892 viewsDarth_Koont

Harper further forward ? on 12:34 - Sep 19 by ITFCBlues

Do you think Morsy slots straight into the side? I think Morsy and Carroll should be the starting pair. Evans has really dropped off since the Morecambe game although perhaps Morsy can bring the best out of him?

I’d have thought so.

Barring v Morecambe where they probably came to PR fearing a loss so sat deeper (but nearly got a smash and grab), it’s our softness in the centre of the pitch that has emboldened the opposition after that. And caused problems for the CBs and isolated the number 10.

Stick Morsy in there and we look a lot stronger on paper. Also think he looks simpler and more direct on the ball and less likely to lose it cheaply. Think he’s going to be a massive player for this team.

I can’t stop thinking back to that Wigan team that pipped us for the automatics back in 2004-05. They had Bullard, Teale, Ellington and Roberts going forward but it was a player like Kavanagh that held the shape and kept them ticking.

Harper further forward ? on 13:34 - Sep 19 with 815 viewstractorshark

To be fair, Cook got his substitutions and tactics spot on yesterday and I've been critical of that at points this season.
Harper's introduction actually changed the momentum in the remainder of the game. We were under the cosh at that point but he made the ball stick up front and suddenly we had an out.
Thought he was excellent. Even though he's had a slightly inconsistent start, I absolutely guarantee we have done great business with him. He will be a seriously good player in a year of two. He's a bit like Trevoh Chalobah, a bit sleepy and naive at times but the quality will shine through in the end.
Harper further forward ? on 14:08 - Sep 19 with 758 viewsoldburian

Harper further forward ? on 13:34 - Sep 19 by tractorshark

To be fair, Cook got his substitutions and tactics spot on yesterday and I've been critical of that at points this season.
Harper's introduction actually changed the momentum in the remainder of the game. We were under the cosh at that point but he made the ball stick up front and suddenly we had an out.
Thought he was excellent. Even though he's had a slightly inconsistent start, I absolutely guarantee we have done great business with him. He will be a seriously good player in a year of two. He's a bit like Trevoh Chalobah, a bit sleepy and naive at times but the quality will shine through in the end.

I was impressed with Harper in the first half against MK. One move he took out three players with a turn of the body. Second half he was totally absent which was the complaint of the WBA supporters.

Two of the three hew signings I was initially unimpressed with was Bonne and Carroll, what do I know! Carroll could be the signing of the season if he stays injury free.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024