Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. 23:41 - Sep 28 with 2641 viewsRyorry

Not that huge a gap, esp now we've gone into the black on GD.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 00:17 - Sep 29 with 2584 viewsParisBlue

we play them twice before Xmas

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 00:23 - Sep 29 with 2568 viewslegoman

Ipswich will be top during January imo.

Poll: Sheepshanks 5 years -v- Evans 5 points

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 00:25 - Sep 29 with 2557 viewsGuthrum

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 00:17 - Sep 29 by ParisBlue

That's rather odd, we play Sunderland twice before our first League game against Gillingham.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 05:48 - Sep 29 with 2471 viewsRyorry

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 00:17 - Sep 29 by ParisBlue

Well if we can beat them twice then the gap's even narrower innit!

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 05:49 - Sep 29 with 2466 viewssolomon

Hopefully we’ve turned a corner.
If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 07:48 - Sep 29 with 2352 viewsWeWereZombies

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 00:25 - Sep 29 by Guthrum

That's rather odd, we play Sunderland twice before our first League game against Gillingham.

I'll bite, here are my three 'Steve Evans has bribed the EFL' conspiracy theories:

1. Evans is hoping that two fixtures later in the season will see Town have their usual 55% of the squad injured by the time they meet Gillingham...
2. First get the away fixture moved to Boxing Day, then on Christmas Eve apply to move the kick off time to one o'clock for, ostensibly, floodlight saving reasons but really to put our match preparations off...
3. The prospect of us recording our first 0-6 away win of the season would put Evans off his Christmas dinner...
[Post edited 30 Sep 2021 5:24]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 13:43 - Sep 29 with 2213 viewsChurchman

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 07:48 - Sep 29 by WeWereZombies

I'll bite, here are my three 'Steve Evans has bribed the EFL' conspiracy theories:

1. Evans is hoping that two fixtures later in the season will see Town have their usual 55% of the squad injured by the time they meet Gillingham...
2. First get the away fixture moved to Boxing Day, then on Christmas Eve apply to move the kick off time to one o'clock for, ostensibly, floodlight saving reasons but really to put our match preparations off...
3. The prospect of us recording our first 0-6 away win of the season would put Evans off his Christmas dinner...
[Post edited 30 Sep 2021 5:24]

I doubt all out nuclear war would put Steve Evans off his Christmas dinner. As the roof came off and the crockery started flying, he’d still be filling his fat rosy glow face, turkey gravy dripping down his over tight Christmas fresh white shirt. What a vision…..
If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 13:47 - Sep 29 with 2203 viewsHerbivore

We've only won two of our nine games so far this season. We've had three better performances and results on the trot and that's encouraging but we need to see this better form sustained over a much longer period before we can realistically think about overhauling Sunderland. 12 points is a big gap to a side that's averaging over 2 points per game.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 13:50 - Sep 29 with 2193 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 05:48 - Sep 29 by Ryorry

Well if we can beat them twice then the gap's even narrower innit!

If we beat them twice then we are 2 wins behind them. The issue is that we have to win and they have to lose. Fail to beat them and we still have 4 to make up. If they beat us twice we are 6 wins behind them!

Ultimately what really matters is that we get the points we need, regardless of who they are against. Our poor start has meant we have catching up to do. Currently there is plenty of time to catch up but we need to sustain very good form from now on. Every team will have a bad spell in the season. Let's hope ours is done and we don't have another one.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 13:56 - Sep 29 with 2160 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 13:47 - Sep 29 by Herbivore

We've only won two of our nine games so far this season. We've had three better performances and results on the trot and that's encouraging but we need to see this better form sustained over a much longer period before we can realistically think about overhauling Sunderland. 12 points is a big gap to a side that's averaging over 2 points per game.

So, if they are averaging 2 points per game, 12 straight wins should just see us catch them!

I look forward to that run of form!

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 13:57 - Sep 29 with 2152 viewsHerbivore

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 13:56 - Sep 29 by Nthsuffolkblue

So, if they are averaging 2 points per game, 12 straight wins should just see us catch them!

We really need to get HMS Pisstheleague on the move.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 14:04 - Sep 29 with 2138 viewspositivity

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 13:56 - Sep 29 by Nthsuffolkblue

beat them twice and then it's a mere 6 straight wins!

let's just catch the team in 6th, then keep going

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 14:16 - Sep 29 with 2099 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 14:04 - Sep 29 by positivity

Not if they are still averaging 2 points per game! Those 2 wins would still only be 2 of the 12 required. As it happens, they are actually currently averaging 2.3 points per game which means we would need 18 straight wins before we caught them anyway!
[Post edited 29 Sep 2021 14:18]

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 14:58 - Sep 29 with 2035 viewsMackemLad

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 13:50 - Sep 29 by Nthsuffolkblue

If we beat them twice then we are 2 wins behind them. The issue is that we have to win and they have to lose. Fail to beat them and we still have 4 to make up. If they beat us twice we are 6 wins behind them!

Ultimately what really matters is that we get the points we need, regardless of who they are against. Our poor start has meant we have catching up to do. Currently there is plenty of time to catch up but we need to sustain very good form from now on. Every team will have a bad spell in the season. Let's hope ours is done and we don't have another one.

We're averaging 2.44 points a game currently, and playing better football than we've done for years. Much like yourselves, we think we've got the best squad we've had in ages, and could easily field 2 competitive teams in the league this year. We don't look like collapsing, but granted it remains early days.

I'm pleased that you got a big win last night - hopefully this kickstarts your season. You need to get some momentum and follow it up at Accrington mind, otherwise last night means nothing. That's not an easy game in this league. I've always looked at Ipswich as a team that struggles against the top clubs in this league, I'm sure your record always seems to be poor for some reason against the top 6/7 clubs. If you correct that (and beat us twice?) then surely you will still look good for automatic.
If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 15:04 - Sep 29 with 2006 viewsGavTWTD

I would be delighted if we finished 2nd. Wigan look more fallable but a long way to go.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 15:06 - Sep 29 with 1998 viewstractorboy1978

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 14:58 - Sep 29 by MackemLad

We're averaging 2.44 points a game currently, and playing better football than we've done for years. Much like yourselves, we think we've got the best squad we've had in ages, and could easily field 2 competitive teams in the league this year. We don't look like collapsing, but granted it remains early days.

I'm pleased that you got a big win last night - hopefully this kickstarts your season. You need to get some momentum and follow it up at Accrington mind, otherwise last night means nothing. That's not an easy game in this league. I've always looked at Ipswich as a team that struggles against the top clubs in this league, I'm sure your record always seems to be poor for some reason against the top 6/7 clubs. If you correct that (and beat us twice?) then surely you will still look good for automatic.

That reason was Paul Lambert.

Hell of a start for you but I'd temper that by saying we had 27 points from our first 11 games in 2019/20. No easy games as you say and there will be a rough patch at some point.
If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 15:19 - Sep 29 with 1976 viewspositivity

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 14:58 - Sep 29 by MackemLad

until paul lambert came in, we tended to beat the top teams and struggle against the bottom ones!

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 16:41 - Sep 29 with 1872 viewsN2_Blue

'Only' 4 wins!? 12 points 'Not that huge a gap'!? It needs more than a run! What counts as a huge gap in your opinion?

In 9 games we haven't even made that total of points and there are only 46 games in a season.

I'm not saying our form won't significantly improve and that we won't overtake them but it's a huge ask, it really is.

Unless Sunderland's form really crashes it's going to be quite some time before we are anywhere near them and that's even if we go on a very good run of wins.

Let's get in to the top 6 first and then see where we are and how many games are left. Top 2 is a tall order now. 80 points probably needed from 37 games is more than 2 pts a game. Very few sides do that over the course of a season.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 23:41 - Sep 29 with 1691 viewsRyorry

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 14:04 - Sep 29 by positivity

It's a rare team thaat doesn't have a poor run of form at some stage.

We just got ours in early!

Not saying we will win the league, but what I meant by my OP was that when you look at it in the cold light of day, the gap between us & automatic promotion is not too big to make it unrealistic - IF we can get a run going, obvs.

Mackem - good to hear your pov, thanks 👍

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 00:54 - Sep 30 with 1655 viewsSwansea_Blue

Argh, don’t you start!!! I’m seeing this a lot on here lately. They’re ‘only’ 4 wins ahead of us if nobody else plays a game for as long as it takes us to get our next 4 wins. I can guarantee we won’t be top after our next 4 wins. Nor will we have overtaken Sunderland.

No idea why this annoys me so much, but it goes .

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. (n/t) on 02:38 - Sep 30 with 1626 viewsClareBlue

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 13:43 - Sep 29 by Churchman

I doubt all out nuclear war would put Steve Evans off his Christmas dinner. As the roof came off and the crockery started flying, he’d still be filling his fat rosy glow face, turkey gravy dripping down his over tight Christmas fresh white shirt. What a vision…..

sorry, edit out me going off topic

cheers

heading to Accrington, again
[Post edited 30 Sep 2021 2:46]
If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 18:05 - Oct 2 with 1355 viewsMackemLad

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 23:41 - Sep 29 by Ryorry

It's a rare team thaat doesn't have a poor run of form at some stage.

We just got ours in early!

Not saying we will win the league, but what I meant by my OP was that when you look at it in the cold light of day, the gap between us & automatic promotion is not too big to make it unrealistic - IF we can get a run going, obvs.

Mackem - good to hear your pov, thanks 👍

A reality check for both our teams today after great mid-week wins. We were terrible today, and lost all momentum from mid-week. I feared for Ipswich having Accrington away as the follow up game - that is a tough match in this league and they will always make it difficult for you to get back to back wins. Onto the next one. We enjoyed our brief time at the top!
If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 18:37 - Oct 2 with 1290 viewstimothyeo

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 00:23 - Sep 29 by legoman

Ipswich will be top during January imo.

I dont think there's a poster with a worse record when it comes to saying stupid unfounded things.

Well, maybe a couple.
If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 18:53 - Oct 2 with 1255 viewspositivity

If we can get a run going, Sunderland at top are only 4 wins ahead of us. on 18:37 - Oct 2 by timothyeo

I dont think there's a poster with a worse record when it comes to saying stupid unfounded things.

Well, maybe a couple.

timothyeo is one, who's the other? paz?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024