Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I don't know where I stand with Cook 08:25 - Oct 3 with 2770 viewshype313

Its a bizarre place to be because normally its so black and white.

He seems to be happy with dying on his 4-2-3-1 formation when we can all see how isolated Bonne has been, in fact Bonne has been so desperate for the ball he's starting to do similar to Harry Kane by dropping deep therefore leaving no one in the box for subsequent attacks. This isn't a dig btw, its testament to Bonne for trying his level best.

If he is to succeed then he has to start looking at Plan B, C etc as we have the players to play a variety of formations, its so painful to see his dogmatic approach.

Maybe I'm just so over another sacking and getting in another new manager, which is putting me on the fence and blinding me from the obvious.

I said after Bolton he needed 3 more games, we got a good return of 7 from 9 but yesterday was so abject, no desire, fight or cohesion that its left me a bit baffled.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

I don't know where I stand with Cook on 09:13 - Oct 4 with 612 viewsElderGrizzly

I don't know where I stand with Cook on 09:08 - Oct 4 by tractorshark

Everyone is convinced Cook’s sides played terrific football in the past.
But based on what evidence? I suspect mostly from watching one Pompey match against us in the cup.
But I know a fair few Portsmouth fans in the area I live and most say the same thing.
Cook completely cocked up his first year in charge at Portsmouth by achieving the seemingly impossible of not getting promoted with a squad way too good for League Two.
They are certainly not that convinced by him and told me so at the time he was appointed with us.
I still don’t agree with his strategy and man-management last season and, while he may not like that TV interview the other day, the reporter was right to bring it up.
I want Cook to succeed, if he’s sacked it creates uncertainty again and probably leads to another season in League One.
But the fact of the matter is his record at Ipswich is dreadful and would warrant dismissal at most other clubs.
I think he’s got until the next international break in November.

Cook was very much an Evans appointment under an Evans budget, even if we believe the new owners signed it off.

I'd expect Ashton and the owners have a much higher quality level of manager up their sleeve for when the time comes and importantly we can afford to go there. Evans couldn't.
I don't know where I stand with Cook on 09:14 - Oct 4 with 609 viewshype313

I don't know where I stand with Cook on 09:09 - Oct 4 by BlueBlood90

I'm quickly starting to lose the faith now. I've said all along I'd see where we are after 10 games as that's almost a quarter of the way through the season and I'm still not impressed.

The way Wigan stayed up against the odds last season and are now top of the league is speaking volumes of just how good his assistant was and could've easily made Cook look better than he actually was all these years.

Hmm, having had time to dwell I also said we need to see where we are after 10 games and unfortunately it doesn't look good for Cook.

The most damning thing about Saturday was the fact that in every facet of play Accrington wanted it more, they had more desire, they won most second balls and that "fight" mentality comes from the top.

Cooks previous successes really don't mean much given where we are, and also his successes came in environments so far removed from this one, he didn't have the budgets at the previous clubs and I fear he's got himself in a muddled state with the number of players at his disposal. Add in the fact that it was expected Richardson was going to join him and then the rug was pulled makes me think this job just isn't the right fit.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

It’s still grey on 09:17 - Oct 4 with 595 viewsunstableblue

It’s definitely not black and white, and yet the cries for his replacement make it feel like it is.

We’re still in the grey, as we have to judge what’s on the pitch. Bolton was abysmal, shocking, BUT that was followed up by Lincoln, Sheff Weds, and Doncaster. And there was defensive solidity. If the woeful defending against Bolton continued you’d have to question Cooks position, black and white.

If we’d have kept Accrington at 1-0, ground it out in horrible conditions. This board would be a very different place. But as Morsy said Accrington went old skool and our players just hadn’t turned up.

Cook will have read them the riot act; as Morsy confirmed Cook will have felt he said them up effectively. But you know he has to create the environment to perform.

Grey, grey, grey.

I said Doncaster was a MUST win, and I’ll now say the same for Shrewsbury.

A weak performance against the Shrews then we are into black and white.

But there was enough from Lincoln, Sheff Weds and Doncaster to stay in the grey a little
Longer…. And hopefully emerge in the bright whiteness of some decent results and a run

But time most definitely close to running out

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

I don't know where I stand with Cook on 09:20 - Oct 4 with 592 viewsitfcjoe

I don't know where I stand with Cook on 09:00 - Oct 4 by Churchman

I think it’s an interesting point about the players signing for Cook. If or more likely when he’s fired, what are the players going to do? Stop playing? Two paltry wins in ten games suggests they’re not doing much of that anyway.

They are meant to be professional footballers. For this level they are paid pretty well too. I’d hate to think what our weekly wage bill is compared to mighty Accrington.

All Cook’s replacement needs to do is point to the league table. We are snugly in the lower reaches while the might of Burton, Plymouth and co strive for promotion. As professional footballers on a contract I suspect as long as the new manager is half decent, unlike five of the last six, they’ll be fine with it.

It wouldn't surprise me if Sam Morsy plus one other earned more per week than their whole starting 11 and subs bench

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Post of the day on 09:20 - Oct 4 with 592 viewsunstableblue

I don't know where I stand with Cook on 09:09 - Oct 4 by BlueBlood90

I'm quickly starting to lose the faith now. I've said all along I'd see where we are after 10 games as that's almost a quarter of the way through the season and I'm still not impressed.

The way Wigan stayed up against the odds last season and are now top of the league is speaking volumes of just how good his assistant was and could've easily made Cook look better than he actually was all these years.

The Liam Richardson concern should be a major focus for Town fans

Cook has stated he is more than capable without him.

I do think the club is an oil tanker and we’re in a project, I also think Wigan will have a serious blip, BUT we need to beat the Shrews well and go on a run.

Need a serious reaction from the players.

It’s still grey on 09:21 - Oct 4 with 588 viewsElderGrizzly

It’s still grey on 09:17 - Oct 4 by unstableblue

It’s definitely not black and white, and yet the cries for his replacement make it feel like it is.

We’re still in the grey, as we have to judge what’s on the pitch. Bolton was abysmal, shocking, BUT that was followed up by Lincoln, Sheff Weds, and Doncaster. And there was defensive solidity. If the woeful defending against Bolton continued you’d have to question Cooks position, black and white.

If we’d have kept Accrington at 1-0, ground it out in horrible conditions. This board would be a very different place. But as Morsy said Accrington went old skool and our players just hadn’t turned up.

Cook will have read them the riot act; as Morsy confirmed Cook will have felt he said them up effectively. But you know he has to create the environment to perform.

Grey, grey, grey.

I said Doncaster was a MUST win, and I’ll now say the same for Shrewsbury.

A weak performance against the Shrews then we are into black and white.

But there was enough from Lincoln, Sheff Weds and Doncaster to stay in the grey a little
Longer…. And hopefully emerge in the bright whiteness of some decent results and a run

But time most definitely close to running out

Was there enough in Lincoln, Sheff Wed and Doncaster?

The first two we were lucky to get what we did from those games and i'm fairly sure even last season's squad will have turned over Doncaster they were that poor.

Accrington just felt like a continuation of the confusion.

Anything less than 12pts this month, i'd suggest he has a P45 come November 1st.
Post of the day on 09:24 - Oct 4 with 575 viewsElderGrizzly

Post of the day on 09:20 - Oct 4 by unstableblue

I do think the club is an oil tanker and we’re in a project, I also think Wigan will have a serious blip, BUT we need to beat the Shrews well and go on a run.

In 30 games, Cook is yet to win 2 in a row.

We might be waiting a while for a positive run anyway!
I don't know where I stand with Cook on 09:42 - Oct 4 with 544 viewsChurchman

I don't know where I stand with Cook on 09:01 - Oct 4 by chicoazul

Changing the manager will make things worse.

Yes, changing the manager may make things worse, especially if you employ an idiot like Hurst or Lambert. It may make things better. At the bottom of League One there’s certainly space to improve.

I’ve said in other posts that he’s got until end of October and I stand by that. We all hope he and the team get their act together. God, we’ve waited long enough. However, as Joe pointed out in another thread, sometimes the fit isn’t right. Nobody’s fault particularly. It’s just the way it is and it feels that way to me with Cook and this club at the moment. Hopefully I’m wrong - I usually am.
Login to get fewer ads

I don't know where I stand with Cook on 09:47 - Oct 4 with 531 viewstractorshark

I don't know where I stand with Cook on 09:13 - Oct 4 by ElderGrizzly

Cook was very much an Evans appointment under an Evans budget, even if we believe the new owners signed it off.

I'd expect Ashton and the owners have a much higher quality level of manager up their sleeve for when the time comes and importantly we can afford to go there. Evans couldn't.

That’s an interesting point about who his successor would be.
Because in my mind we can’t take a gamble on a relatively unknown up-and-comer, we need someone with gravitas.
I’m sure the American owners will want that.
But do they go down the Roy Keane road and throw money at a celebrity boss like John Terry to attract attention?
Or do they opt for a tried-and-trusted Championship manager?
I see names like Howe and Wilder mentioned but I just think that is fanciful thinking.
We are not very good in League One, so who can we attract?
I don't know where I stand with Cook on 09:48 - Oct 4 with 526 viewsHerbivore

I don't know where I stand with Cook on 09:01 - Oct 4 by chicoazul

Changing the manager will make things worse.

I honestly think we could put you in charge and do better than a point a game.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I don't know where I stand with Cook on 10:06 - Oct 4 with 490 viewsElderGrizzly

I don't know where I stand with Cook on 09:47 - Oct 4 by tractorshark

That’s an interesting point about who his successor would be.
Because in my mind we can’t take a gamble on a relatively unknown up-and-comer, we need someone with gravitas.
I’m sure the American owners will want that.
But do they go down the Roy Keane road and throw money at a celebrity boss like John Terry to attract attention?
Or do they opt for a tried-and-trusted Championship manager?
I see names like Howe and Wilder mentioned but I just think that is fanciful thinking.
We are not very good in League One, so who can we attract?

We attracted Morsy while not being very good in League 1. Money talks...
I don't know where I stand with Cook on 10:09 - Oct 4 with 484 viewschicoazul

I don't know where I stand with Cook on 09:48 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

I honestly think we could put you in charge and do better than a point a game.

My plan on playing Edwards as sweeper may cause controversy.
But seriously every time we change the manager with one honourable exception it gets worse. They will get Thierry Henry.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

It’s still grey on 10:38 - Oct 4 with 455 viewsunstableblue

It’s still grey on 09:21 - Oct 4 by ElderGrizzly

Was there enough in Lincoln, Sheff Wed and Doncaster?

The first two we were lucky to get what we did from those games and i'm fairly sure even last season's squad will have turned over Doncaster they were that poor.

Accrington just felt like a continuation of the confusion.

Anything less than 12pts this month, i'd suggest he has a P45 come November 1st.

Yes I agree Sheff Weds still had big question marks; mainly around energy to take the fight to a team who were perhaps ready to be beaten.

But I think my point was around progress… our defensive display against Bolton was shocking

In the Weds, Lincoln and Donny games the defence look much much more solid

If we hadn’t seen that I’d perhaps be calling for Cook to go

Donny was a must win, and they were weak on the night, Shrewsbury now becomes the same

I don't know where I stand with Cook on 10:46 - Oct 4 with 432 viewstractorshark

I don't know where I stand with Cook on 10:06 - Oct 4 by ElderGrizzly

We attracted Morsy while not being very good in League 1. Money talks...

Agree it does but you have to remember Morsy was a player Middlesbrough were keen to offload.
I’m not sure we’ll be able to poach a manager so easily.
And I’m not convinced we have quite the status or money to attract a Wilder.
But who knows? Maybe we do. Maybe Cook will get it right. It’s all possible.
Post of the day on 14:12 - Oct 4 with 373 viewsBlueBlood90

Post of the day on 09:20 - Oct 4 by unstableblue

Wigan also undertook a major overhaul of players and staff over the summer but they're not having the problems we are. Quite the opposite.

Cook failed to get a tune out of a team that were sat in the play off places when he took over and has made us a bottom five team after 10 games when we're title favourites. Something can't be right.

I really hope it's something as basic as gelling and/or lack of confidence and a couple of wins see us go on a run but I can't see it on recent showing.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

I don't know where I stand with Cook on 14:23 - Oct 4 with 361 viewsElderGrizzly

I don't know where I stand with Cook on 09:00 - Oct 4 by Churchman

I think it’s an interesting point about the players signing for Cook. If or more likely when he’s fired, what are the players going to do? Stop playing? Two paltry wins in ten games suggests they’re not doing much of that anyway.

They are meant to be professional footballers. For this level they are paid pretty well too. I’d hate to think what our weekly wage bill is compared to mighty Accrington.

All Cook’s replacement needs to do is point to the league table. We are snugly in the lower reaches while the might of Burton, Plymouth and co strive for promotion. As professional footballers on a contract I suspect as long as the new manager is half decent, unlike five of the last six, they’ll be fine with it.

They'll be fine with it as long as we are winning and they pick up their promotion bonuses and wage increases for the promotion.

As a professional footballer, you don't sign a 3 or 4 year contract on the assumption the manager won't change. Certainly not in League 1.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024