Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” 11:59 - Oct 3 with 4388 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

The most ridiculous question football. There are an awful lot of managers and coaches in the world. We now have substantial financial resources to be able to pay good wages to managers, whether that be out of work or in a job.

We don’t have to appoint a manager out of a job. But for me, 10 points 10 games. I wouldn’t be against a change.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 12:02 - Oct 3 with 2218 viewsbobbyramsey

So, do you change the manager every 10 games if they have netted 10 points or less?

That's a lot of managers over the course of a season.......
[Post edited 3 Oct 2021 12:04]
Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 12:05 - Oct 3 with 2186 viewsjayessess

I'm against a change right this second, but it is a silly question when the current guy is under-performing this much. Look at all the teams currently above us in the league and who they're managed by.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 12:07 - Oct 3 with 2167 viewspointofblue

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 12:02 - Oct 3 by bobbyramsey

So, do you change the manager every 10 games if they have netted 10 points or less?

Works more often than not for Watford!

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 12:10 - Oct 3 with 2150 viewsjayessess

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 12:02 - Oct 3 by bobbyramsey

It's not very common for clubs with our resources to go on very long runs of a point a game in League One.

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 13:18 - Oct 3 with 2093 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

No you don’t. And I’m not really screaming that Paul Cook should go, but I wouldn’t be disappointed if he did. If it was just results and we were playing really well it would be different. But we are so one dimensional, like are only plan is just hope the fact we have a better team sees us through. Paul Cook himself said judge after 10 games, we are 19th in league one. We haven’t really played any good teams.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 13:19 - Oct 3 with 2088 viewsMrTown

Give me a good list of names then…

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 13:44 - Oct 3 with 2023 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 13:19 - Oct 3 by MrTown

Luckily that’s not my job and there are people far more qualified to do that than I am.

They have probably been making that list for about 5 games now.

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 13:47 - Oct 3 with 2013 viewsMrTown

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 13:44 - Oct 3 by TRUE_BLUE123

Luckily that’s not my job and there are people far more qualified to do that than I am.

They have probably been making that list for about 5 games now.

You posed the statement, I thought you would be able to back it up by actually naming some managers who you think could come in, but no, it’s just a statement with no substance.

Open question for anyone, can anyone provide a decent list of names?

Login to get fewer ads

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 13:53 - Oct 3 with 1999 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 13:47 - Oct 3 by MrTown

You posed the statement, I thought you would be able to back it up by actually naming some managers who you think could come in, but no, it’s just a statement with no substance.

No the point I was making was. The board will know which managers they can go and get, I don’t know that. There will be managers with buy out clauses and loopholes which make it possible to go and Get. There will be managers abroad that they may be looking at. I could name managers that are obvious, who are doing well at clubs atm. But that isn’t what our list will be.

Do you think it’s just Paul cook or Paul Cook. And our owners won’t have a massive list of managers and coaches that they want ??
[Post edited 3 Oct 2021 13:54]

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 14:03 - Oct 3 with 1963 viewsjayessess

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 13:47 - Oct 3 by MrTown

There are 19 managers currently out-performing ours in League 1, arguably all 23 are if you allow for budget. So at the moment any of them would be an improvement.

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 14:13 - Oct 3 with 1942 viewslowhouseblue

changing manager has always worked out well for us. the next one will undoubtedly be a footballing genius who can't help but have us promoted this season. this time it will work. and of course the one after that will then have the summer to rebuild.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 14:18 - Oct 3 with 1907 viewsjayessess

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 14:13 - Oct 3 by lowhouseblue

changing manager has always worked out well for us. the next one will undoubtedly be a footballing genius who can't help but have us promoted this season. this time it will work. and of course the one after that will then have the summer to rebuild.

but relative to other teams we don't change managers, do we? All of our 21st Century managers bar one got way more time than they would've got at most clubs. Fat lot of good it did us.

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 14:20 - Oct 3 with 1906 viewsDarth_Koont

Problem is that all new manager candidates (and players for that matter) look great on paper.

In a parallel universe, you’d look at the start of this season and say we needed new, better-quality players and someone like Paul Cook with a proven record of getting teams moving forward. Which is what we’ve got.

So do we do roughly the same thing again but expecting a different result?

I think we need to see where we are at the end of this month. It’s been a real mixed bag of performances but we’ve seen improvements in the defence over these games, plus signs that Morsy and a tougher centre has been missing for most of that. But I’d actually say that it’s getting the front 4 or 5 of the team to gel (and getting more from having an attacking setup than we lose from not being more defensive and compact) that’s been the continued issue. And that’s despite having players like Bonne, Burns, Fraser, Celina and Evanswho on their own have shown themselves to be capable of scoring goals and winning games. And yet we’re still very hit and miss as Tuesday and yesterday proved.

I don’t know what the answer is. Or even if there is one beyond winning a few games and perhaps getting the confidence to play on the half-turn and in tight areas. And getting the opposition to lose confidence and start worrying about us a bit more. As Accrington showed, they just needed to stay compact and move as a unit up and down the pitch whereas we were always trying to bridge gaps.

Pronouns: He/Him

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 14:31 - Oct 3 with 1868 viewslowhouseblue

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 14:18 - Oct 3 by jayessess

but relative to other teams we don't change managers, do we? All of our 21st Century managers bar one got way more time than they would've got at most clubs. Fat lot of good it did us.

and fat lot of good changing managers did us. i don't believe we'll get someone whose cv looks better than cooks at this level. changing manager without actually knowing why the previous one didn't work here and setting out to correct that specific failing, is just throwing the dice yet again.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 14:33 - Oct 3 with 1857 viewsthebooks

It’s up there with “well I don’t see you putting in a million pounds of your own money a month”.

I guess the point is there will be someone we think could do a good job out there. I don’t think we’re quite at that stage yet, though.
Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 14:49 - Oct 3 with 1809 viewsjayessess

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 14:31 - Oct 3 by lowhouseblue

and fat lot of good changing managers did us. i don't believe we'll get someone whose cv looks better than cooks at this level. changing manager without actually knowing why the previous one didn't work here and setting out to correct that specific failing, is just throwing the dice yet again.

It's by the by, but sacking Keane and Jewell both almost certainly prevented us from getting relegated in 2011 and 2013.

But, again, like I said, we don't sack people, not like virtually everyone else in the EFL does. We let them fail for 2 years instead of 6 months, just in case it turns out they're a good fit after all. We refuse to learn the lesson that bad starts are usually a solid predictor of bad middles and bad ends, nothing more.

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 14:50 - Oct 3 with 1807 viewsMrTown

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 14:03 - Oct 3 by jayessess

There are 19 managers currently out-performing ours in League 1, arguably all 23 are if you allow for budget. So at the moment any of them would be an improvement.

You think every other L1 manager would be an upgrade on PC?

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 14:51 - Oct 3 with 1799 viewsMrTown

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 13:53 - Oct 3 by TRUE_BLUE123

No the point I was making was. The board will know which managers they can go and get, I don’t know that. There will be managers with buy out clauses and loopholes which make it possible to go and Get. There will be managers abroad that they may be looking at. I could name managers that are obvious, who are doing well at clubs atm. But that isn’t what our list will be.

Do you think it’s just Paul cook or Paul Cook. And our owners won’t have a massive list of managers and coaches that they want ??
[Post edited 3 Oct 2021 13:54]

I want to know names, if somebody with the pedigree, experience and track record who we realistically think is an option for us.

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 14:54 - Oct 3 with 1789 viewsjayessess

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 14:50 - Oct 3 by MrTown

I wouldn't want to take on most of the managers in L1, I'm telling you what the current standard we are producing is.

Which is why "who would you get" is the wrong question to ask.

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 14:55 - Oct 3 with 1786 viewsMrTown

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 14:54 - Oct 3 by jayessess

I wouldn't want to take on most of the managers in L1, I'm telling you what the current standard we are producing is.

Which is why "who would you get" is the wrong question to ask.

But that is the question that has to be answered to replace any manager, and no names stand out to me.

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 15:06 - Oct 3 with 1746 viewsjayessess

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 14:55 - Oct 3 by MrTown

But that is the question that has to be answered to replace any manager, and no names stand out to me.

It just really isn't.

Irrespective of their CVs managers sometimes are a good fit for one club and a bad fit at another. Sometimes that has very little to do with their history. Lots of the successful coaches at this level had little pedigree to point towards before taking up their current post. Sometimes coaches with a cracking CV don't work, sometimes their methods stop working full stop. Look at Jose Mourinho!

The question isn't "could we possibly find a replacement who could do better than this". Loads of people could do better than Cook is right now! MK Dons replaced their experienced upwardly mobile manager with a total nobody and look a heck of a lot better than we do.

The question is whether Cook's going to get better or not and how long we wait to find that out. At the moment I think we wait longer. But a time will come when we will have to stop waiting for that and it won't depend on who is or isn't available.

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 15:23 - Oct 3 with 1704 viewsMrTown

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 15:06 - Oct 3 by jayessess

It just really isn't.

Irrespective of their CVs managers sometimes are a good fit for one club and a bad fit at another. Sometimes that has very little to do with their history. Lots of the successful coaches at this level had little pedigree to point towards before taking up their current post. Sometimes coaches with a cracking CV don't work, sometimes their methods stop working full stop. Look at Jose Mourinho!

The question isn't "could we possibly find a replacement who could do better than this". Loads of people could do better than Cook is right now! MK Dons replaced their experienced upwardly mobile manager with a total nobody and look a heck of a lot better than we do.

The question is whether Cook's going to get better or not and how long we wait to find that out. At the moment I think we wait longer. But a time will come when we will have to stop waiting for that and it won't depend on who is or isn't available.

How do you determine ‘good fit’ and a ‘bad fit’ then when you are looking at a new manager, are we to just go through a load of managers until we find one who is a ‘good fit’?

The very essence of replacing a manager is that you think another manager is going to a better job, no names spring to mind right now.

I think results have been dreadful this year, performances overall haven’t been bad, but the results have. Whilst I agree I’m sure there will come a time which the ownership think cannot continue, but I suspect we aren’t near that stage yet.

I haven’t heard 1 name from anybody who they believe comes in and is a better option that PC. That says enough for me.

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 15:40 - Oct 3 with 1652 viewsHerbivore

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 13:19 - Oct 3 by MrTown

Christ, imagine being the kind of mook that responds to a thread pointing out the stupidity of asking people to name replacement managers by asking the OP to name replacement managers. Staggering.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 15:43 - Oct 3 with 1649 viewsjayessess

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 15:23 - Oct 3 by MrTown

How do you determine ‘good fit’ and a ‘bad fit’ then when you are looking at a new manager, are we to just go through a load of managers until we find one who is a ‘good fit’?

The very essence of replacing a manager is that you think another manager is going to a better job, no names spring to mind right now.

I think results have been dreadful this year, performances overall haven’t been bad, but the results have. Whilst I agree I’m sure there will come a time which the ownership think cannot continue, but I suspect we aren’t near that stage yet.

I haven’t heard 1 name from anybody who they believe comes in and is a better option that PC. That says enough for me.

Good or bad fit is a judgement call, who will be a good one is also a judgement call.

The essence of replacing a manager is in determining when someone has fallen short of expectations and whether we might expect them to meet them in the future. It can't be anything else, can it? If we were top of the league and Chris Wilder wanted the job, would we sack the incumbent just because Wilder objectively had a better record? Of course we wouldn't.

When we appointed George Burley his record at the time didn't compare with the man he replaced. Does that mean we were wrong to do so? Of course not.

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 15:46 - Oct 3 with 1635 viewsgazzer1999

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 14:50 - Oct 3 by MrTown

Well they are all performing better than him with less resources, so the answer could be yes. You can't live off reputations all your career, remember he likes to tell people he knows this division well. Myself I have seen enough of this division and would like to progress up the ladder, thats his problem he knows the division and is comfortable there, not for me though.
We will all be saying in 5 games when nothing changes he needs at least 20 games this season, I was watching last week against Donny and while I was happy to see some goals go in, I kept thinking Donny really are poor and kept us at bay for large periods yet we had some good shots that went in nothing suggested to me we had turned the corner as was proved yesterday, Accrington Stanley really?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024