Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” 11:59 - Oct 3 with 4395 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

The most ridiculous question football. There are an awful lot of managers and coaches in the world. We now have substantial financial resources to be able to pay good wages to managers, whether that be out of work or in a job.

We don’t have to appoint a manager out of a job. But for me, 10 points 10 games. I wouldn’t be against a change.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

I think it’s quite a valid question?? on 20:39 - Oct 3 with 1208 viewsunstableblue

We’ve had 5 ultimately unsuccessful managers through the Marcus reign.. we’ve got a relatively new manager, who is currently failing… apart from 3 or 4 20mins spells of the football we all crave

If someone is calling for Cook to go, and fully understand why, then surely they should identify a name or at least a type of manager they think could do better??

What happens if another manager comes in to pick up a squad assembled and attracted by Cook, and is also failing after 10 games? Where do we go then.

Don’t get me wrong I’m becoming a bit disillusioned with Cook as the players or not playing with enough energy and despite defensive improvements not sure the system is working.

Calls to sack Lambert and hurst were justified on the grounds of them being completely out of touch with the squad, doesn’t feel we’re quite there with cook.

But back to the point who are we going to attract to a lower league 1 side who have a deep set culture of failure!!

And please don’t mention wilder or Howe.. no chance

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

That’s not a bad shout… on 20:41 - Oct 3 with 1201 viewsunstableblue

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 17:05 - Oct 3 by gordon

Appreciate he's only just started at MK Dons, but I think Liam Manning is going to go a long way as a head coach, got the Ipswich connection as well. Wouldn't think he'd leave MK Dons until the summer though, but the attraction is that he'd probably be willing to work with/under a Director of football / head of recruitment, would bring Chris Hogg too, and he wouldn't be looking to give jobs to a taxi full of his mates etc.

Think this kind of appointment is what we need, more fitting with the structure of the club, rather than the more old-fashioned Cook / Lambert / McCarthy Evans-era managers.

… as I think he has the technical and tactical nouse we’ve yet to see fully from cook

But if people think mark Ashton can be an effective ‘director of football’ a la Brentford they’re sadly mistaken

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 21:02 - Oct 3 with 1176 viewsHerbivore

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 19:30 - Oct 3 by MrTown

Even after your cool off period, where you weren’t even welcome here, you still seem to be following me around this forum.

It’s nice to know I can dip in and out of the forum and know that I’m still well and truly living in the heads of my fan club rent free.

Adios for another coupla months, I know I’ll still be in your thoughts Herb x

I'd forgotten you existed until you randomly appeared again when we're doing crap, to tell us all is actually fine and we just need to calm down.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I think it’s quite a valid question?? on 21:17 - Oct 3 with 1157 viewsjayessess

I think it’s quite a valid question?? on 20:39 - Oct 3 by unstableblue

We’ve had 5 ultimately unsuccessful managers through the Marcus reign.. we’ve got a relatively new manager, who is currently failing… apart from 3 or 4 20mins spells of the football we all crave

If someone is calling for Cook to go, and fully understand why, then surely they should identify a name or at least a type of manager they think could do better??

What happens if another manager comes in to pick up a squad assembled and attracted by Cook, and is also failing after 10 games? Where do we go then.

Don’t get me wrong I’m becoming a bit disillusioned with Cook as the players or not playing with enough energy and despite defensive improvements not sure the system is working.

Calls to sack Lambert and hurst were justified on the grounds of them being completely out of touch with the squad, doesn’t feel we’re quite there with cook.

But back to the point who are we going to attract to a lower league 1 side who have a deep set culture of failure!!

Is the idea here that no other manager we could conceivably hire could possibly improve on 19th in League One? Or just that 19th is a false position?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I think it’s quite a valid question?? on 21:58 - Oct 3 with 1129 viewsitfcjoe

You can’t just keep a manager because fans can’t come up with a replacement - we don’t know what market shopping in, and when you look at our transfer business we clearly have real financial pulling power

Cook was seen as an excellent appointment, and was made when we were under Evans, so even without the new ownership we were still seen as a big draw.

Most managers will fail in the end, but as a club we consistently give managers too long to turn things round and none of them other manage it? Have we had a manager in last 30 years that has come under real pressure and then later come good? Mick getting us back to 12th after 16/17 prob best anyone has done and he was never really under pressure based purely on results and league standings.

Cook should be able to turn this round, but then he should have got closer to play offs and should have us nowhere near 19th this year so would you bank on it? We’ve lead what 7 times this season and have got 2 wins - doesn’t say a lot for in game management to never win a game from behind and drop lots of points from winning positions

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I think it’s quite a valid question?? on 22:01 - Oct 3 with 1119 viewsunstableblue

I think it’s quite a valid question?? on 21:17 - Oct 3 by jayessess

Is the idea here that no other manager we could conceivably hire could possibly improve on 19th in League One? Or just that 19th is a false position?

The idea is it would be good to understand what type of manager and also some specific names for who would replace Cook people are thinking

There would be a heap of managers who could be good

Klopp and Guardiola I am sure could improve on our current woeful position

I am sure Mark Robbins at Coventry would be a great candidate, but perhaps he’d take 15 games

Chris Wilder is available

None of these would join

I think it’s quite a valid question?? on 22:28 - Oct 3 with 1091 viewsjayessess

I think it’s quite a valid question?? on 22:01 - Oct 3 by unstableblue

The idea is it would be good to understand what type of manager and also some specific names for who would replace Cook people are thinking

There would be a heap of managers who could be good

Klopp and Guardiola I am sure could improve on our current woeful position

I am sure Mark Robbins at Coventry would be a great candidate, but perhaps he’d take 15 games

Chris Wilder is available

None of these would join

You've sort of side-stepped my question here. It would be pretty absurd to believe that there aren't lots of coaches capable of improving on 19th place with our resources, given that there are currently 18 coaches in League One who are already doing it with smaller budgets and players of lesser pedigree.

So I'm asking, is it that you do in fact actually think it would be hard to find someone who'd improve on our current form? Or just that you've got faith it'll change soon?

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 23:09 - Oct 3 with 1067 viewsWakh

Can you remember when we were linked with Lampard/Parker. That type of appointment wouldn't have worked then, but that is exactly the type of manager I feel would work for us now.
Login to get fewer ads

I think it’s quite a valid question?? on 23:19 - Oct 3 with 1054 viewsSwansea_Blue

Why should anyone wanting Cook (or any manager) to leave have to name a replacement? I can’t see any point in that or any logic. (A) fans won’t be aware of people and their characters, and (b) it’s not their job.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I think it’s quite a valid question?? on 08:51 - Oct 4 with 976 viewsunstableblue

I think it’s quite a valid question?? on 22:28 - Oct 3 by jayessess

You've sort of side-stepped my question here. It would be pretty absurd to believe that there aren't lots of coaches capable of improving on 19th place with our resources, given that there are currently 18 coaches in League One who are already doing it with smaller budgets and players of lesser pedigree.

So I'm asking, is it that you do in fact actually think it would be hard to find someone who'd improve on our current form? Or just that you've got faith it'll change soon?

To be clear: I think we could definitely attract another manager with the potential to improve our current league position; and it could well be someone currently managing in this league.

Indeed you'll see on this thread that I believe Liam Manning would be a good candidate.

I'm not sure we could attract the likes of a Wilder or Howe though.

The risk of course is whether a new person can change the Ipswich malaise now a decade long. So the 60 million dollar question is have we lost faith that Cook has the coaching acumen to get results given further time?? or its time to twist again.

I'm close to thinking Cook should go, as the tactics/system are just not there consistently. But a part of me thinks he feels like the best manager we've had for some time, and is clearly a different level/proposition to Keane, Jewel, Hurst and Lambert... so we should persist just a little long. The risk of throwing it all up in the are again are high. The Morsy interview gave a little hope, in that I believe him when he says the pre-match prep, the training, the instruction could not have been better, its just the players didn't turn up.

If there isn't a serious reaction against Shrewsbury then it looks grim. But I do think Ashton and the Yanks will continue to back, they have called for patience. I really have concerns about Ashton leading a new manager recruitment drive.

What do you think of Cowley at Pompey?? 8 games without a win, they were calling for him to go, ironically singing 'we're staying up, we're staying up' should they have let him go? prior to their excellent result against Sunderland??

I think it’s quite a valid question?? on 08:58 - Oct 4 with 972 viewsunstableblue

I think it’s quite a valid question?? on 23:19 - Oct 3 by Swansea_Blue

Why should anyone wanting Cook (or any manager) to leave have to name a replacement? I can’t see any point in that or any logic. (A) fans won’t be aware of people and their characters, and (b) it’s not their job.

I didn't say fans calling for Cook to be replaced HAVE to name a manager, but at least a type, at least offer some idea about what they were thinking, what direction. Someone from this league? foreign? a Warnock?

I was more reacting to the OP saying it was the most ridiculous question in football (sic?). I think it remains a fairly valid question.

Because as much as we are very concerned that Cook is going to fail (or has?), he was about the best candidate by far available, and came with a tremendous reputation and pedigree. And clearly is very well qualified to understand football at this level.

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 09:18 - Oct 4 with 957 viewsJammyDodgerrr

The point i'm struggling to reconcile is the fact that a good amount of these players are here for Cook, probably. Yes it's not really working currently but he's built a particular sort of team that he wanted, rightly or wrongly. I think a new manager coming in might struggle if they don't aim to play the same way. Maybe i am overthinking it - but i don't think Cook has much time left anyway. A loss at Cambridge and i would say the sack will happen.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

I think it’s quite a valid question?? on 09:29 - Oct 4 with 949 viewsjayessess

I think it’s quite a valid question?? on 08:51 - Oct 4 by unstableblue

To be clear: I think we could definitely attract another manager with the potential to improve our current league position; and it could well be someone currently managing in this league.

Indeed you'll see on this thread that I believe Liam Manning would be a good candidate.

I'm not sure we could attract the likes of a Wilder or Howe though.

The risk of course is whether a new person can change the Ipswich malaise now a decade long. So the 60 million dollar question is have we lost faith that Cook has the coaching acumen to get results given further time?? or its time to twist again.

I'm close to thinking Cook should go, as the tactics/system are just not there consistently. But a part of me thinks he feels like the best manager we've had for some time, and is clearly a different level/proposition to Keane, Jewel, Hurst and Lambert... so we should persist just a little long. The risk of throwing it all up in the are again are high. The Morsy interview gave a little hope, in that I believe him when he says the pre-match prep, the training, the instruction could not have been better, its just the players didn't turn up.

If there isn't a serious reaction against Shrewsbury then it looks grim. But I do think Ashton and the Yanks will continue to back, they have called for patience. I really have concerns about Ashton leading a new manager recruitment drive.

What do you think of Cowley at Pompey?? 8 games without a win, they were calling for him to go, ironically singing 'we're staying up, we're staying up' should they have let him go? prior to their excellent result against Sunderland??

That's more or less where I am, really. It's a just a little too soon to give it all up for a bad job, but we're not far off it. I do think we'll see a reaction on Saturday and maybe beyond that into the following 2 games, which will probably drag us into November. Whether consistency emerges beyond that, who knows?

I think Cowley is also on a bit of a tightrope. Battering Sunderland is a bigger result than doing the same to Doncaster right now, but equally one win isn't a substitute for consistently winning games. They'll need to follow it with decent results to keep their heads above water, just like Cook needed to. That said, I don't think they had a great deal to work with over there, so they should get a bit more patience than Cook.

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 09:33 - Oct 4 with 932 viewsHerbivore

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 09:18 - Oct 4 by JammyDodgerrr

The point i'm struggling to reconcile is the fact that a good amount of these players are here for Cook, probably. Yes it's not really working currently but he's built a particular sort of team that he wanted, rightly or wrongly. I think a new manager coming in might struggle if they don't aim to play the same way. Maybe i am overthinking it - but i don't think Cook has much time left anyway. A loss at Cambridge and i would say the sack will happen.

Any half competent manager should be able to pick a highly effective side from the squad at our disposal. The depth and quality is ridiculous for this level.

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 10:58 - Oct 4 with 890 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 09:33 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

Any half competent manager should be able to pick a highly effective side from the squad at our disposal. The depth and quality is ridiculous for this level.

True - but we've heard that all before right. Same thing levelled at Lambert. I agree with you, FWIW.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 11:27 - Oct 4 with 872 viewsHerbivore

Is it me, or is “well which manager would you get in?” on 10:58 - Oct 4 by JammyDodgerrr

True - but we've heard that all before right. Same thing levelled at Lambert. I agree with you, FWIW.

Lambert was a busted flush though, just not really interested in anything other than his paycheck. Lord knows what the issue is with Cook, but the league table does suggest there's merit to the idea that Richardson was the brains of the operation.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024