Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Eddie Howe set for Newcastle 20:02 - Nov 4 with 3034 viewsOldboy

This will be a massive test for him. Get it right and he will be the next England manager, get it wrong and he will be struggling to get anything decent. Make or break time. Is he as good as many reckon?
Eddie Howe set for Newcastle on 10:50 - Nov 5 with 388 viewsitfcsuth

You don't want to be the first manager going in.
Eddie Howe set for Newcastle on 10:50 - Nov 5 with 382 viewsGarv

Eddie Howe set for Newcastle on 09:34 - Nov 5 by tractorboy1978

Lambert had a whole host of jobs in between and his success was a decade ago.

It's pretty sad if you can take a small club from near the bottom of L2 to the Premier League, stay there for 4 seasons, change the whole course of the club's destiny and be seen as a failure when eventually you cannot fight the tide and keep them up.

But that's modern football, I guess.

I don' think anyone views him as a failure, they just see that his most recent campaign was a bad one. Doesn't fall under the modern football gripe for me.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Eddie Howe set for Newcastle on 12:00 - Nov 5 with 346 viewsBloomBlue

It's pretty sad if you can take a small club from near the bottom of L2 to the Premier League, stay there for 4 seasons, change the whole course of the club's destiny and be seen as a failure when eventually you cannot fight the tide and keep them up.

I didn't say he was a failure, my point is football management is like life you get judged on your last job. Football is littered with managers who achieved great success at a club(s) but then that success tailed off and/or didn't reach that same level at the next club and they were judged on that last manager position.

There is an argument Bruce did a brilliant job at Newcastle keeping them in the Prem given the limited funds he was given, but plenty of people are calling him a failure there

Hence my point we about to discover which Howe is now at Newcastle the early from his B'mouth time or the latter
Eddie Howe set for Newcastle on 12:06 - Nov 5 with 343 viewsBlueBlood90

I saw someone post in here yesterday that he'd been linked with the Norwich job if he didn't get the Newcastle job.

I'm quite glad because I think Norwich would've been a perfect fit for him.

It may be an unpopular opinion but I do think the job he did at Bournemouth was hugely overrated given the finances he had at his disposal. It was hardly the fairy tale that it was portrayed to be in the media.

Certainly a make or break situation for him with Newcastle.

Poll: How many points will we get from Coventry and Huddersfield?

Eddie Howe set for Newcastle on 12:16 - Nov 5 with 330 viewsSwansea_Blue

Eddie Howe set for Newcastle on 10:50 - Nov 5 by itfcsuth

You don't want to be the first manager going in.

Especially to that one. It's got the potential to be a poisoned chalice. Even larger expectations now from a fanbase that was already quite entitled.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Eddie Howe set for Newcastle on 13:40 - Nov 5 with 304 viewsEly_Blue

Eddie Howe set for Newcastle on 08:48 - Nov 5 by tractorboy1978

I think it's a bit b0llocks really how he gets seen in some quarters as 'Eddie Howe, who got Bournemouth relegated' rather than 'Eddie Howe, who took Bournemouth from L2 to the Premier League and kept them there for 4 seasons'.

Or Eddie Howe “remember how things went last time he managed a team that wasn’t Bournemouth “

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Eddie Howe set for Newcastle on 14:23 - Nov 5 with 291 viewsBlueNomad

And they haven't exactly collapsed after relegation.
Eddie Howe set for Newcastle on 14:25 - Nov 5 with 288 viewstractorboy1978

Eddie Howe set for Newcastle on 14:23 - Nov 5 by BlueNomad

And they haven't exactly collapsed after relegation.

Well no, he fundamentally changed the landscape of their club. His work at Burnley also goes under the radar. Have a look at the first side Dyche got promoted - Howe really laid the foundations there with some fantastic buys and IMO would have got them up had he not decided to return to Bournemouth.
Login to get fewer ads

Eddie Howe set for Newcastle on 22:32 - Nov 5 with 238 viewsAlberto_the_frog

Nothing against Howe, but unsure how he is even a step up from the Bruce.
Eddie Howe set for Newcastle on 22:56 - Nov 5 with 217 viewsMelford

Eddie Howe set for Newcastle on 12:00 - Nov 5 by BloomBlue

I didn't say he was a failure, my point is football management is like life you get judged on your last job. Football is littered with managers who achieved great success at a club(s) but then that success tailed off and/or didn't reach that same level at the next club and they were judged on that last manager position.

There is an argument Bruce did a brilliant job at Newcastle keeping them in the Prem given the limited funds he was given, but plenty of people are calling him a failure there

Hence my point we about to discover which Howe is now at Newcastle the early from his B'mouth time or the latter

Chris Wilder, won League 2 with 99 points with Northampton. Then goes to the club he loved as a lad, takes them from League One to Prem. Decent first season, top half finish.

Have a bad start next season and off he goes, never mind the only reason they're in the Premier League in the first place is because of his management lifting the club out of the mire. If you do go down then he's still the best man with his promotion credentials to get them back up there.

All most people remember is how it finished, rather than what lead up to that.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Eddie Howe set for Newcastle on 23:17 - Nov 5 with 210 viewsChurchman

I am not sure Howe is a great for Newcastle. It just doesn’t look right to me.

Don’t get me wrong, I think EH is an excellent manager, despite the gamesmanship element to his teams, but thought his next step up would be a Southampton, Palace, West Ham or Leicester level club.

I thought Newcastle with all that money would go for somebody like the bloke managing Chelsea or if they wanted a British manager a Gerrard, Rooney or Lampard. I’ve not read who told them no, so apols if one or two of these did.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024