Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why just take £9.95 10:05 - Jan 6 with 1810 viewsgtsb1966

Had an unauthorised Amazon payment of £9.95 so rang Amazon and they said it was indeed fraud. Considering it was my credit card and has nothing on it why would you only steal £9.95. I've never used the card on Amazon so how they got it I don't know. Card cancelled and money returned. Very strange.
Why just take £9.95 on 10:09 - Jan 6 with 1737 viewsGiant_Midget

Scammers will often make a small and more likely to be missed transaction to make sure a card is active. Then they'll go for a big transaction.
Why just take £9.95 on 10:09 - Jan 6 with 1737 viewshoppy

Probably to go unnoticed… if they can take that kind of small amount unchecked from 100 different people, that’s £995 without much of a bat of an eyelid from those they’re taking it from - particularly this time of year when lots of people have probably made lots of Amazon orders. If gone unchecked, they’d possibly then do other low amounts so as not to alert suspicion.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Why just take £9.95 on 10:15 - Jan 6 with 1676 viewschicoazul

Wait, you can *ring* Amazon? And they pick up the phone? And you speak with a human who expedites your problem? I am shook.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Why just take £9.95 on 10:18 - Jan 6 with 1657 viewsgtsb1966

Why just take £9.95 on 10:15 - Jan 6 by chicoazul

Wait, you can *ring* Amazon? And they pick up the phone? And you speak with a human who expedites your problem? I am shook.

They were very good. You go to the unauthorised payment page after you've logged in and they ring you within seconds. They did me anyway.
Why just take £9.95 on 10:20 - Jan 6 with 1640 viewshomer_123

Why just take £9.95 on 10:18 - Jan 6 by gtsb1966

They were very good. You go to the unauthorised payment page after you've logged in and they ring you within seconds. They did me anyway.

Are you sure it wasn't the scammers you were ringing?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Why just take £9.95 on 10:26 - Jan 6 with 1603 viewsIpswichKnight

Totally fraudsters testing the card, it’s also very common for them to make small transactions to charities as well, they will find out if the card has been cancelled, it’s unlikely that charities will do any fraud screening and victims won’t want to issue chargebacks to a charity.
Why just take £9.95 on 10:32 - Jan 6 with 1537 viewsclive_baker

Looks like a legit transaction amount I guess, and low enough where a lot wouldn't notice or wouldn't question it particularly. I was scammed over Christmas to the tune of £100 on something I was buying online and I have to say PayPal's customer service was absolutely brilliant. I had the funds back in my account within 10 days.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Why just take £9.95 on 10:34 - Jan 6 with 1525 viewsghostofescobar

As others have said, the fraudsters do a little test amount to see if noticed. Then hit you big if you don’t. We’ve had it happen to us before. Guess many have similar experiences.

GhostOfEscobar

Login to get fewer ads

Why just take £9.95 on 10:36 - Jan 6 with 1507 viewsBloomBlue

Sorry was this an amazon payment on your amazon account or another amazon account where they used your card?

If the former hope you've done the basic of also changing your amazon password etc
Why just take £9.95 on 10:40 - Jan 6 with 1496 viewsMattinLondon

There was a thread on this board a while ago (don’t remember posters name) who mentioned that they (or someone close to them) used to work for Amazon. Mentioned that they are almost hysterical about customer service and try to resolve things quickly in favour of the customer.
Why just take £9.95 on 10:47 - Jan 6 with 1422 viewsclive_baker

Why just take £9.95 on 10:40 - Jan 6 by MattinLondon

There was a thread on this board a while ago (don’t remember posters name) who mentioned that they (or someone close to them) used to work for Amazon. Mentioned that they are almost hysterical about customer service and try to resolve things quickly in favour of the customer.

Doesn't surprise me at all, having sold through Amazon in the past as a business. They have a no questions asked refund policy, which they then charge back to the supplier. It's a pig of a route to market for suppliers for many reasons including that one, but Amazon are very customer focussed. I heard Jeff Bezos talking about next day delivery saying its already too slow. The aim is 1 or 2 hours to be standard.

Why just take £9.95 on 10:49 - Jan 6 with 1402 viewshomer_123

Why just take £9.95 on 10:47 - Jan 6 by clive_baker

Doesn't surprise me at all, having sold through Amazon in the past as a business. They have a no questions asked refund policy, which they then charge back to the supplier. It's a pig of a route to market for suppliers for many reasons including that one, but Amazon are very customer focussed. I heard Jeff Bezos talking about next day delivery saying its already too slow. The aim is 1 or 2 hours to be standard.

"I heard Jeff Bezos talking about next day delivery saying its already too slow. The aim is 1 or 2 hours to be standard."

Just driving the 'I want it now' culture. Which isn't sensible or sustainable.

Why just take £9.95 on 10:51 - Jan 6 with 1384 viewsMattinLondon

Why just take £9.95 on 10:49 - Jan 6 by homer_123

"I heard Jeff Bezos talking about next day delivery saying its already too slow. The aim is 1 or 2 hours to be standard."

Must now be around 35 years ago but my mum used to one of those catalogue books which she used to order clothes etc through. Seem to remember orders taking 28 days to be delivered. Seems quite bizarre now.
Why just take £9.95 on 10:53 - Jan 6 with 1370 viewshomer_123

Why just take £9.95 on 10:51 - Jan 6 by MattinLondon

Must now be around 35 years ago but my mum used to one of those catalogue books which she used to order clothes etc through. Seem to remember orders taking 28 days to be delivered. Seems quite bizarre now.

My issue is that it drives general impatience...everything must be done 'now' or delivered 'now'.

I don't think it is healthy at all.

Why just take £9.95 on 10:54 - Jan 6 with 1361 viewsclive_baker

Why just take £9.95 on 10:49 - Jan 6 by homer_123

A further point of difference vs. independents too who simply can't compete on just about any metric other than personal service. Once they go into Grocery in a proper way which they are already, and with the distribution networks in place and purchasing power they have, they might as well just take over the world which is depressing AF.

I try and avoid Amazon where at all possible, but there's no denying the convenience.

Why just take £9.95 on 11:32 - Jan 6 with 1218 viewsgtsb1966

Why just take £9.95 on 10:36 - Jan 6 by BloomBlue

Sorry was this an amazon payment on your amazon account or another amazon account where they used your card?

If the former hope you've done the basic of also changing your amazon password etc

It was the latter. Only noticed because I signed up for banking alerts.
Why just take £9.95 on 12:47 - Jan 6 with 1008 viewsRyorry

0800 279 7234 (from UK).

They hide it as much as poss as they don't like people actually phoning up & bothering them, but that line usually gets you through v. quickly without holds or loops, then each individual rep is usually brilliant (they're usually wfh in Philippines or S. America etc., & I'm guessing keen to hang onto their jobs).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Why just take £9.95 on 13:45 - Jan 6 with 825 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Why just take £9.95 on 10:51 - Jan 6 by MattinLondon

Often the small print said 28 WORKING days.

Good things come to those who wait. And in the 1980s, so did Electric Blue Polyester dresses with shoulder pads.
Why just take £9.95 on 14:23 - Jan 6 with 773 viewsblueasfook

Ethical scammers. They only take small amounts from ordinary folk. If you were a tory voter or rich, they'd have had you for thousands.

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Why just take £9.95 on 14:35 - Jan 6 with 738 viewsgtsb1966

Why just take £9.95 on 14:23 - Jan 6 by blueasfook

Ethical scammers. They only take small amounts from ordinary folk. If you were a tory voter or rich, they'd have had you for thousands.

How do you know I'm not rich 😉
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024