Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 08:14 - Jan 9 with 2133 viewstextbackup

2 down, 4 to go…

What’s impressed me the most, but for him will be bog standard, is that he knows the opposition inside out, and sets us up in an exact way to beat them.

I’d hazard a guess he’s not had much time in his life to study wycombe or gillingham, but in a tiny space of time he and his team have watched, picked them apart, and set us up.

All that, and it’s not even his players… gel… whatever that was all about.

Sounds such a calm and assured bloke too, no fancy bo11oks, not trying to be funny, ultimate professional.

Long May this continue. Oh and we are finishing in the PO, said it weeks back.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 08:34 - Jan 9 with 2022 viewsSharkey

Interesting too that he sees nowt wrong with McGreal's starting XI.
Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 08:52 - Jan 9 with 1922 viewsgtsb1966

Next week is the one, where we see how far and quick we are progressing, and the man himself has alluded to that. Bolton will be a totally different game to Wycombe and Gillingham. I still feel confident though. Not been able to say that very often.
Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 09:08 - Jan 9 with 1829 viewsKeaneish

It’s not a misnomer to think players need time to settle, bond and learn how to work with each other. Whether it should have taken as long as it did is debatable - 7 league games before it was widely agreed we had.

Completely agree that we’ve seen two different approaches to beat the opposition in our last two games, which immediately adds a lot more interest, excitement and intrigue heading into every match. So far, they’ve nailed it, no question and I’m delighted Luke Wolfenden is back in the mix and has been given a major role in that back three.

I always thought we’d make the play-offs even with Cook. Now, I just think we’ll do it a lot more comfortably. Jan and Febs run of fixtures should yield a solid return, I’m with you on that one. We could well be top 6 by March.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2022 9:17]

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 09:10 - Jan 9 with 1825 viewsStewart27

Completely agree.

And this is why there should be little sympathy for Cook. McKenna has managed in 2 games what Cook did once in 50 odd with 2 different squads.

This is not luck. It’s purely down to a manager who looks at the next game and sets his team up to beat that opposition. You can clearly see the work in training translating onto the pitch and it’s a joy to see.

What I liked about yesterday is that I was even a little bored in the second half! When I say bored I don’t mean that in the way that the team were playing. I mean that I knew we’d won at half time. How often have we been able to go though the motions like that? The game management was brilliant and I haven’t felt like this in a long time. Under Cook I’d never feel safe 3-0 up.

Great start. Long May it continue.
Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 09:11 - Jan 9 with 1811 viewsHerbivore

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 09:08 - Jan 9 by Keaneish

It’s not a misnomer to think players need time to settle, bond and learn how to work with each other. Whether it should have taken as long as it did is debatable - 7 league games before it was widely agreed we had.

Completely agree that we’ve seen two different approaches to beat the opposition in our last two games, which immediately adds a lot more interest, excitement and intrigue heading into every match. So far, they’ve nailed it, no question and I’m delighted Luke Wolfenden is back in the mix and has been given a major role in that back three.

I always thought we’d make the play-offs even with Cook. Now, I just think we’ll do it a lot more comfortably. Jan and Febs run of fixtures should yield a solid return, I’m with you on that one. We could well be top 6 by March.

You may well be the only person, other than perhaps Paul Cook, who believes that Paul Cook would have got us into the play offs this season.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 09:19 - Jan 9 with 1780 viewsKeaneish

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 09:10 - Jan 9 by Stewart27

Completely agree.

And this is why there should be little sympathy for Cook. McKenna has managed in 2 games what Cook did once in 50 odd with 2 different squads.

This is not luck. It’s purely down to a manager who looks at the next game and sets his team up to beat that opposition. You can clearly see the work in training translating onto the pitch and it’s a joy to see.

What I liked about yesterday is that I was even a little bored in the second half! When I say bored I don’t mean that in the way that the team were playing. I mean that I knew we’d won at half time. How often have we been able to go though the motions like that? The game management was brilliant and I haven’t felt like this in a long time. Under Cook I’d never feel safe 3-0 up.

Great start. Long May it continue.

Agree about the comfortableness in the second half. The last time I remember feeling like that Jim Magilton started in a home trouncing of Stockport i think it was!

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 09:20 - Jan 9 with 1766 viewsgtsb1966

" I always thought we'd make the play-offs even with Cook".
How would we have done that then. Please explain your rationale behind that statement. We looked , at best, a mid table side.
Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 10:07 - Jan 9 with 1545 viewsKeaneish

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 09:20 - Jan 9 by gtsb1966

" I always thought we'd make the play-offs even with Cook".
How would we have done that then. Please explain your rationale behind that statement. We looked , at best, a mid table side.

Quite simply because since Bolton, Cook’s league win percentage record was 50%. Ive said this a lot. That maintained would have seen us make the play-offs. Plus we know from history, Cook comes good in the second half of the season. A Pompey fan came on here at the start of the season and said as much.

Too many people are letting the cup games and the poor performance against Rotherham cloud their judgement in my view. We were on an upward trajectory. Problem is for Cook, it would have been a lot more comfortable had those fine margins gone his way in games we’d not picked up maximum points.

Login to get fewer ads

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 10:10 - Jan 9 with 1528 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I’ve said all along I still think we make the top 6.

We’re going to be this seasons late finishers.

You know what I’m looking forward to most Texters? The 2026 champions league campaign under king Kieran.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 10:10 - Jan 9 with 1524 viewsHerbivore

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 10:07 - Jan 9 by Keaneish

Quite simply because since Bolton, Cook’s league win percentage record was 50%. Ive said this a lot. That maintained would have seen us make the play-offs. Plus we know from history, Cook comes good in the second half of the season. A Pompey fan came on here at the start of the season and said as much.

Too many people are letting the cup games and the poor performance against Rotherham cloud their judgement in my view. We were on an upward trajectory. Problem is for Cook, it would have been a lot more comfortable had those fine margins gone his way in games we’d not picked up maximum points.

We took 7 points from the 6 league games following the Wycombe win. We weren't on an upward trajectory.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 10:10 - Jan 9 with 1525 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Agree mate. Yesterday was basically the complete performance but what impressed me the most was the players just never let up. Great to see. Even Jackson looked ok!
Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 10:25 - Jan 9 with 1444 viewstextbackup

I honestly don’t see PC would have taken us to the top 6 this season. Far too inconsistent, and settled on one style of play, whether it worked or not.

I like him as a bloke, and he will go on to have success elsewhere I think.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 10:33 - Jan 9 with 1400 viewsKeaneish

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 10:25 - Jan 9 by textbackup

I honestly don’t see PC would have taken us to the top 6 this season. Far too inconsistent, and settled on one style of play, whether it worked or not.

I like him as a bloke, and he will go on to have success elsewhere I think.

I think that’s probably one of the only things we’ve disagreed on over the years on here but it’s probably a moot point now as we’ll never know. Onwards and upwards. Let’s see what another full week on the training ground brings at Bolton.

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 12:45 - Jan 9 with 1172 viewsbilllm

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 09:11 - Jan 9 by Herbivore

You may well be the only person, other than perhaps Paul Cook, who believes that Paul Cook would have got us into the play offs this season.

Have to agree with that, after our bad start then a little improvement I thought we would, then a bad run,I'd wrote us off, hopeful now that's all, what I am hopeful of now is actually seeing some FOOTBALL, AFTER many baron years,
Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 12:53 - Jan 9 with 1146 viewstractordownsouth

Long way to go yet but I think if we can cut the gap to the play offs down to 4 or 5 points by the end of the month we'll be in a good position.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 12:56 - Jan 9 with 1131 viewstractordownsouth

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 10:10 - Jan 9 by The_Romford_Blue

I’ve said all along I still think we make the top 6.

We’re going to be this seasons late finishers.

You know what I’m looking forward to most Texters? The 2026 champions league campaign under king Kieran.

2026? Two promotions and a top 4 finish in the Premier League and we can get there in 2025.

This lack of ambition from the fans is why we're still stuck in this league...

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 13:11 - Jan 9 with 1089 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 12:56 - Jan 9 by tractordownsouth

2026? Two promotions and a top 4 finish in the Premier League and we can get there in 2025.

This lack of ambition from the fans is why we're still stuck in this league...

True.

Though I didn’t want to be greedy for 2025 so I was settling for a year in the Europa league. Only shame with that is that we’d have loads of games therefore being moved to Sundays because of the Thursday night europa league ties. Which then means we’d have a lot less Sone Aluko Saturdays which are quickly becoming my favourite thing.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 13:59 - Jan 9 with 989 viewsElderGrizzly

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 12:53 - Jan 9 by tractordownsouth

Long way to go yet but I think if we can cut the gap to the play offs down to 4 or 5 points by the end of the month we'll be in a good position.

And Bolton is another game at the right time. Bolton have been utter dogsh!t for the last 6 weeks or so
Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 14:00 - Jan 9 with 981 viewstractordownsouth

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 13:59 - Jan 9 by ElderGrizzly

And Bolton is another game at the right time. Bolton have been utter dogsh!t for the last 6 weeks or so

Remember when their idiot of a manager said they were the best team in the league? They're in 17th.

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 14:06 - Jan 9 with 961 viewsNthsuffolkblue

You are utterly deluded. If Cook had maintained the form he had managed all the time he was here, we were finishing lower mid-table. If he could have significantly improved (and there was no evidence at all he could - for every forward step we took, we took several backwards very soon after), we might have been able to get to 8-10th.

I still think it is beyond us to reach the play-offs but I am beginning to think I may be wrong. If McKenna can keep us consistently winning games like the last two, we will make it. The idea that Cook would have got the team playing even a shadow of what we are seeing is nonsense. Imagine yesterday with no Norwood, one up front, a flat back 4, Morsy and Evans playing in the same space and only making direct like-for-like substitutions in the last 15 minutes. We would not have won the match.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 17:37 - Jan 9 with 784 viewsSawtrich

Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 10:07 - Jan 9 by Keaneish

I can't agree at all that we were on an upward trajectory under Cook. I thought we were becoming more disjointed, a team that had lost faith in each other and what they were being asked to do. I suppose as we'd been in the relegation zone we were technically heading upwards from there, maybe that's what you meant. I don't think we'd have got anywhere near the play offs with Cook still in charge. People see things differently don't they?
Said we’d win 6 of KMc’s first 7 on 17:56 - Jan 9 with 751 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’ve seen enough immediate turnarounds to know that things can be changed very quickly too. It’s just that we’ve had such poor managers lately that we’ve forgotten what that’s like. We’d have been waiting an eternity for any of them to come good.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024