Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Changes to BBC license fee 13:22 - Jan 12 with 3361 viewsGavTWTD

I heard in PMQs they're proposing changes. Can anyone tell me how it would work in practice?

People talk about the "Netflix model" but how would that work on free to air channels? How would that work on radio? Ultimately, a subscription would cost more than the current license fee, so feels like a lose-lose situation.

The only way I can see it working if they reduce the license fee but then charge for digital/extra stuff.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Changes to BBC license fee on 23:05 - Jan 12 with 369 viewslowhouseblue

Changes to BBC license fee on 22:22 - Jan 12 by monytowbray

Dominic Cummings led a think tank in the 00s that concluded the Tories best way to gain/keep power was to dismantle/abolish/corrupt the Beeb.

No surprise the same message comes from the same journos funded by the same dark money that gave us Brexit.

Then you have Laura Kusenberg who was happy to take that roll head on for direct access to Cummings.

But don’t tell this to Lowhouse, he may accuse me of accusing the BBC of client journalism. Or something.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2022 22:24]

i have no idea what conspiracy fantasy you're currently wibbling on about. but thanks for the name check i guess.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Changes to BBC license fee on 23:06 - Jan 12 with 365 viewsmylittletown

Changes to BBC license fee on 22:55 - Jan 12 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Loser?

Just expressing an opinion, not sure why it’s triggered you.

OK.
As far as I can remember, I have never driven on the M50, but I can understand that many people need it it to get to South Wales, so I am happy that some of my tax goes towards paying for it. After all, they pay towards the M11, which I do use.
The whole 'I don't use it so why should I pay for it' logic ends up with a sh1tty American style society, or Netflix, rather than PSB, if you like. It ends up with nothing genuinely informative or based on fact over popularity.
If you don't think is a problem, then good luck to you.
Changes to BBC license fee on 23:36 - Jan 12 with 324 viewsmonytowbray

Changes to BBC license fee on 23:05 - Jan 12 by lowhouseblue

i have no idea what conspiracy fantasy you're currently wibbling on about. but thanks for the name check i guess.

The one you denied to Darth this week.

Too busy spaffing on Keith’s shoes to see the reality around you.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Changes to BBC license fee on 23:37 - Jan 12 with 323 viewsmonytowbray

Changes to BBC license fee on 22:44 - Jan 12 by footers

Do your parents?

I dunno.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Changes to BBC license fee on 23:46 - Jan 12 with 311 viewsreusersfreekicks

Changes to BBC license fee on 17:08 - Jan 12 by mutters

It needs reform, the current model is no longer viable. I opted out last year as I rarely watched live TV, and when I did it was rarely the BBC. No longer interested in MoTD, and the news can be sourced elsewhere, with arguably less bias. Once the little one grew out of watching CBeebies there was no need. Plus also these things are available elsewhere via catchup (not iPlayer).

It has always annoyed me that if I want to watch another channel, then I had to pay the BBC for the privilege to watch live TV. Never understood that one.

Must admit I have not missed it one bit and now spend that money on Netflix and DIsney+. The only thing I do miss is BBC Radio, and though the TV License does not directly cover that (hence its name) I can listen to it without breaking any rules, though I try and be fair and avoid it if I can.

Less bias - arf
Changes to BBC license fee on 23:49 - Jan 12 with 310 viewsreusersfreekicks

Changes to BBC license fee on 19:34 - Jan 12 by dickie

I listen to one of 6 music, 5 live, radio 2 and radio suffolk every day for prolonged periods. Plus iplayer is my go to for most things on TV. I really don't have a problem with paying it

Same, BBC is outstanding at what it does and should be left alone
Changes to BBC license fee on 05:26 - Jan 13 with 240 viewsRyorry

Changes to BBC license fee on 23:06 - Jan 12 by mylittletown

OK.
As far as I can remember, I have never driven on the M50, but I can understand that many people need it it to get to South Wales, so I am happy that some of my tax goes towards paying for it. After all, they pay towards the M11, which I do use.
The whole 'I don't use it so why should I pay for it' logic ends up with a sh1tty American style society, or Netflix, rather than PSB, if you like. It ends up with nothing genuinely informative or based on fact over popularity.
If you don't think is a problem, then good luck to you.

Good analogy if you drive, but I think he was saying he travels by rail! apart from the rare occasions he hires a car, when he'd be happy to pay one-off road-polls.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024