Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Derby - again 11:50 - Jan 18 with 1834 viewsbracknell_blue

I see that there will be an urgent question in the Commons this afternoon about Derby County Football Club. Anyone have any idea what that is about? Has to be serious to get a minister to answer a question in the HoC.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

Derby - again on 11:56 - Jan 18 with 1772 viewsZx1988

I'd suspect it's related to this:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-admin

Probably something along the lines of the local MP arguing that Derby County are some sort of exceptional case, being a football club, and that, as a result, they should be exempt from the same rules that govern all other businesses in situations such as this.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Derby - again on 12:00 - Jan 18 with 1748 viewsBlueandTruesince82

I belive that there are parties ready to buy the club but they are not willing to take on any liability towards the Wycombe/Middlesbrough claim (which I think relate to their questionable accounting methodology- Wycombe of course relegated and feel it should have been Derby with a points deduction).

A prefered bidder has apparently been due to be announced for some time but hasn't materialised due to the Wycombe/Boro wrangling and apparently they could be as close as 2 weeks away from being would up and having their golden share (membership into the league) revoked.

That's as I understand it from following the story

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Derby - again on 12:10 - Jan 18 with 1639 viewsSteve_M

Hopefully the Prime Minister will offer them his full support, that should make sure they are well and truly fecked.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Derby - again on 13:25 - Jan 18 with 1439 viewsArnieM

If Derby had been a horse they’d have shot it long again. It’d be the Best thing to happen to them tbh .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Derby - again on 13:43 - Jan 18 with 1341 viewsElderGrizzly

Derby - again on 12:00 - Jan 18 by BlueandTruesince82

I belive that there are parties ready to buy the club but they are not willing to take on any liability towards the Wycombe/Middlesbrough claim (which I think relate to their questionable accounting methodology- Wycombe of course relegated and feel it should have been Derby with a points deduction).

A prefered bidder has apparently been due to be announced for some time but hasn't materialised due to the Wycombe/Boro wrangling and apparently they could be as close as 2 weeks away from being would up and having their golden share (membership into the league) revoked.

That's as I understand it from following the story

They are also asking the EFL to rewrite the rules to suit them.

Proof of funding until the end of the season has always been there for example. They are asking the EFL to remove that requirement.
To me that would be a mistake, as they could sell people like Tom Lawrence to help fund that but are refusing to do so right now.

This is from the EFL statement last night:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/efl-break-silence-

"Where the Club is served with the Notice of Withdrawal part-way through a playing season, the Club is required to continue to abide by the EFL Regulations, honour all tickets purchased (including season tickets) relating to the remainder of the season, and provide confirmation of funding to indicate sufficient resources to ensure the Club can complete its fixtures for the remainder of the season.

On appointment the Administrators were unable to provide the confirmation of funding, but the EFL allowed the Club to continue whilst they sought to finalise their plans. Their work has been funded in the interim through a combination of cost savings and external borrowing.

We have revisited the funding requirements with the Administrators on a number of occasions since their appointment, and last week the EFL asked the Administrators for updated details on how the Club plans to continue to trade whilst in administration, including a funding plan that will enable it to complete the current season and all remaining fixtures in the 2021/22 campaign.

The response was to highlight the specific figure Derby County needed in order to fulfil its fixture obligations for the remainder of 2021/22 and whilst potential funding options were tabled by the Administrators, they could not give the necessary assurances that the funding was guaranteed to enable the Club to finish the season.

As a consequence, the League made the decision that the Club should not be permitted to register any new players until the necessary funding was in place. The deadline for provision of the funded plans was further extended to 1 February 2022."
[Post edited 18 Jan 2022 14:09]
Derby - again on 14:19 - Jan 18 with 1258 viewsElderGrizzly

Derby - again on 13:43 - Jan 18 by ElderGrizzly

Proof of funding until the end of the season has always been there for example. They are asking the EFL to remove that requirement.
To me that would be a mistake, as they could sell people like Tom Lawrence to help fund that but are refusing to do so right now.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/efl-break-silence-

"Where the Club is served with the Notice of Withdrawal part-way through a playing season, the Club is required to continue to abide by the EFL Regulations, honour all tickets purchased (including season tickets) relating to the remainder of the season, and provide confirmation of funding to indicate sufficient resources to ensure the Club can complete its fixtures for the remainder of the season.

On appointment the Administrators were unable to provide the confirmation of funding, but the EFL allowed the Club to continue whilst they sought to finalise their plans. Their work has been funded in the interim through a combination of cost savings and external borrowing.

We have revisited the funding requirements with the Administrators on a number of occasions since their appointment, and last week the EFL asked the Administrators for updated details on how the Club plans to continue to trade whilst in administration, including a funding plan that will enable it to complete the current season and all remaining fixtures in the 2021/22 campaign.

The response was to highlight the specific figure Derby County needed in order to fulfil its fixture obligations for the remainder of 2021/22 and whilst potential funding options were tabled by the Administrators, they could not give the necessary assurances that the funding was guaranteed to enable the Club to finish the season.

As a consequence, the League made the decision that the Club should not be permitted to register any new players until the necessary funding was in place. The deadline for provision of the funded plans was further extended to 1 February 2022."

And now Boro have weighed in

Derby - again on 15:41 - Jan 18 with 1154 viewsChurchman

Derby - again on 14:19 - Jan 18 by ElderGrizzly

Middlesbrough Are not happy bunnies. To be fair, they’ve got a point. I’ve no doubt the EFL will collapse in the face of Derby pressure ‘in the interests of the game’, sadly
Derby - again on 16:07 - Jan 18 with 1085 viewsBseaBlue

Derby - again on 15:41 - Jan 18 by Churchman

Middlesbrough Are not happy bunnies. To be fair, they’ve got a point. I’ve no doubt the EFL will collapse in the face of Derby pressure ‘in the interests of the game’, sadly

Agreed. If anything, it is a shame more clubs haven't come forward to argue the case. Derby wont be the last club in this situation though.

Sustainability in football seems to hinge on a gamble to make the Premier League these days. It is utter madness and something needs to be urgently changed to protect the future of the sport.
Login to get fewer ads

Derby - again on 16:33 - Jan 18 with 1029 viewsGeoffSentence

Derby - again on 14:19 - Jan 18 by ElderGrizzly

Wow

The word 'cheating' is doing a lot of work there.

Well played Middlesborough.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Derby - again on 17:04 - Jan 18 with 931 viewsFightingEssex

Derby - again on 11:56 - Jan 18 by Zx1988

I'd suspect it's related to this:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-admin

Probably something along the lines of the local MP arguing that Derby County are some sort of exceptional case, being a football club, and that, as a result, they should be exempt from the same rules that govern all other businesses in situations such as this.

My view is the parent companies and owners should be liable, not the clubs, it's not the fans fault the owners have messed up big time and definitely do not deserve to lose their teams over it. If they have broken the rules or the law, fine the firms, they will soon stop, same with the debts they are running up. It will make club ownership less attractive for some, which again is a good thing.

In recent years we've seen Rangers, Portsmouth, Wigan, Bolton, Derby, Luton and so on absolutely destroyed and demoted for debts and breaking "fair play" rules, where most of the the debts owed by these clubs are tiny compared to those owed by those by the Premiership clubs, and these same clubs are being forced to compete against clubs like Norwich who live off of free money by getting relegated from the Premiership every other season, while being governed by fair play rules restricting their spends. It killed our chances too.

If Manchester City had what most of us had to deal with while being in the third division, they would have been stuck there for years.

It's one set of rules for some, and punishments for others. Even we in this league can't use our advantage because of wage caps.

Poll: Next Ipswich Town manager?

Derby - again on 17:33 - Jan 18 with 880 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Derby - again on 15:41 - Jan 18 by Churchman

Good for Steve Gibson for sticking to his guns IMO.

Derby - again on 17:35 - Jan 18 with 851 viewsChurchman

Derby - again on 17:04 - Jan 18 by FightingEssex

My view is the parent companies and owners should be liable, not the clubs, it's not the fans fault the owners have messed up big time and definitely do not deserve to lose their teams over it. If they have broken the rules or the law, fine the firms, they will soon stop, same with the debts they are running up. It will make club ownership less attractive for some, which again is a good thing.

In recent years we've seen Rangers, Portsmouth, Wigan, Bolton, Derby, Luton and so on absolutely destroyed and demoted for debts and breaking "fair play" rules, where most of the the debts owed by these clubs are tiny compared to those owed by those by the Premiership clubs, and these same clubs are being forced to compete against clubs like Norwich who live off of free money by getting relegated from the Premiership every other season, while being governed by fair play rules restricting their spends. It killed our chances too.

If Manchester City had what most of us had to deal with while being in the third division, they would have been stuck there for years.

It's one set of rules for some, and punishments for others. Even we in this league can't use our advantage because of wage caps.

You cannot divorce the parent companies and owners from the clubs. They are one and the same. Sad for the supporters, but that’s how it is.

The only argument Derby can have is that others have been let off and penalties should only apply to others. A special case. Name a club let off? QPR. Basically promoted taking the place of another club by overspending. They should have faced demotion as well as a fine. In real terms they got a slap on the wrist and had to pay for a packet of cheeselets.

Another club that got clean away with it was Rangers. They should have been put out of business altogether.

Where I agree is that there should be constant rules throughout the leagues. But there isn’t and won’t be. Everything is geared to the big clubs and their ‘entitlement’ to all the money and all the trophies. I suspect that yo-yo fodder like Norwich will soon be a thing of the past when no relegation is brought in and a line is drawn under the chosen few.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2022 17:37]
Derby - again on 17:43 - Jan 18 with 816 viewsFreddies_Ears

Derby - again on 16:33 - Jan 18 by GeoffSentence

Wow

The word 'cheating' is doing a lot of work there.

Well played Middlesborough.

Very strong statement. Coincidentally, the Riverside and Pride Park are identical stadia. On a tour of PP, I was told that Boro helped Derby by identifying some elements of the design that they wish they had done differently.
Derby - again on 17:48 - Jan 18 with 800 viewsbackwaywhen

If the mighty Rangers had to go to the bottom of the pile the so should Derby , ridiculous situation , swing the axe and be done with it ….. what say you ?
Derby - again on 17:50 - Jan 18 with 791 viewsArnieM

Derby - again on 13:43 - Jan 18 by ElderGrizzly

Essentially Derby County FC are a bunch of shysters and they need bringing to book.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Derby - again on 18:48 - Jan 18 with 694 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Derby - again on 17:48 - Jan 18 by backwaywhen

If the mighty Rangers had to go to the bottom of the pile the so should Derby , ridiculous situation , swing the axe and be done with it ….. what say you ?

If Derby end up in liquidation yes, that point has not yet arrived and I think there is some discussion going on with Boro, don't know about Wycombe.

The biggest issue from a sale POV is that the potential value should judgment be awarded against Derby is unknown so potential buyers don't want to commit an specified liability at the moment there no one putting money into the club and they are trading day to day and relying on emergency loans and selling any remaining family silver, hence the inability to demonstrate having the funds to finish the season.

The most insane part is that they have been in administration since Sept , can a club really be allowed to go all season under such circumstances? Swinging tbe axe may now be the kindest thing to do at this point though I'm sure Rams fans disagree.

Gibson says Boro are willing to compromise but it's hard to see what compromise can be reached when their case doesn't have a quantifiable figure.

As you say quite ridiculous.

Mel Morris should be ashamed really, he bought the club to save it and then put it hugely at risk by using some serious slight of hand accountancy. What I would say is that maybe Derby should look at taking action against whichever firm of accountants signed off on their methodology as surely they have also advised as to the legality of the practices being used?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024