Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A question for political people - Boris and this Saville Slur 09:39 - Feb 8 with 2082 viewsKeno

When someone like Blackford accuses Boris of lying one speaker will reprimand him, so should the speaker do the same to Boris regarding what he said about Starmer and Saville?

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

A question for political people - Boris and this Saville Slur on 12:13 - Feb 8 with 487 viewsBluesky

A question for political people - Boris and this Saville Slur on 09:42 - Feb 8 by GeoffSentence

We could do with John Bercow back

No. We could not.
A question for political people - Boris and this Saville Slur on 12:15 - Feb 8 with 476 viewsbluelagos

Here you go. The speaker gives Johnson a savaging...or not.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

A question for political people - Boris and this Saville Slur on 12:29 - Feb 8 with 453 viewsMookamoo

A question for political people - Boris and this Saville Slur on 12:13 - Feb 8 by lowhouseblue

so you disagree with starmer's quote?

No, I'm disagreeing with your understanding of what context is.
A question for political people - Boris and this Saville Slur on 12:37 - Feb 8 with 429 viewsclive_baker

Would've thought Starmer would have some sort of defamation case given the circumstances. How a PM can get away with telling bare faced lies I really don't know, especially as it was a pre planned jibe.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

A question for political people - Boris and this Saville Slur on 12:37 - Feb 8 with 427 viewslowhouseblue

A question for political people - Boris and this Saville Slur on 12:29 - Feb 8 by Mookamoo

No, I'm disagreeing with your understanding of what context is.

starmer was head of the cps when it failed to prosecute saville. in that context i don't believe that starmer's "failure to prosecute saville" is necessarily a 'lie'. it's inappropriate, ill-judged, and provocative, but we all know it is fairly standard to associate an organisation's successes and failures with the person who leads it, as the previous starmer quote makes very clear.

anyway, there you have it.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

A question for political people - Boris and this Saville Slur on 13:12 - Feb 8 with 364 viewsPendejo

A question for political people - Boris and this Saville Slur on 12:37 - Feb 8 by clive_baker

Would've thought Starmer would have some sort of defamation case given the circumstances. How a PM can get away with telling bare faced lies I really don't know, especially as it was a pre planned jibe.

Parliamentary privilege allows some leeway, but probably wouldn't protect if it could be proven to known to be a lie.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

A question for political people - Boris and this Saville Slur on 13:21 - Feb 8 with 341 viewsBloomBlue

A question for political people - Boris and this Saville Slur on 12:37 - Feb 8 by clive_baker

Like everyone on the HoC they have Parliamentary privilege. I quote .... Parliamentary privilege is a legal immunity enjoyed by members of the House of Commons and House of Lords designed to ensure that parliamentarians are able to carry out their duties free from interference.
A question for political people - Boris and this Saville Slur on 13:22 - Feb 8 with 338 viewsfab_lover

A question for political people - Boris and this Saville Slur on 13:12 - Feb 8 by Pendejo

Parliamentary privilege allows some leeway, but probably wouldn't protect if it could be proven to known to be a lie.

IANAL however it's my understanding that unless allegations are repeated outside the House, then action for slander cannot be taken.

However in the medium term, what happened is going to damage "Boris" big time.

There are, thankfully, few politicians in the UK who would want to see Trump-style political nonsense taking place here. In Johnson's comments, a line has well and truly been crossed.

I still think that nothing will change with regards to the PM until after the May elections. Remember, if the 1922 VoNC fails, another can't be taken for another 12 months, which is then far too close to the next GE to risk a change of leader.

Once the May results are in, and it's obvious to even the most spineless of Tory MPs (like our own Mr Hunt) that they are going to get booted out next GE, Johnson will be gone. Better however that for a few months he stays, so that all the effluent coming his way (remember neither the NI increases nor the fuel increases have kicked in yet) stays with him and doesn't transfer to the new leader.
Login to get fewer ads

A question for political people - Boris and this Saville Slur on 14:50 - Feb 8 with 280 viewsvilanovablue

A question for political people - Boris and this Saville Slur on 13:22 - Feb 8 by fab_lover

IANAL however it's my understanding that unless allegations are repeated outside the House, then action for slander cannot be taken.

However in the medium term, what happened is going to damage "Boris" big time.

There are, thankfully, few politicians in the UK who would want to see Trump-style political nonsense taking place here. In Johnson's comments, a line has well and truly been crossed.

I still think that nothing will change with regards to the PM until after the May elections. Remember, if the 1922 VoNC fails, another can't be taken for another 12 months, which is then far too close to the next GE to risk a change of leader.

Once the May results are in, and it's obvious to even the most spineless of Tory MPs (like our own Mr Hunt) that they are going to get booted out next GE, Johnson will be gone. Better however that for a few months he stays, so that all the effluent coming his way (remember neither the NI increases nor the fuel increases have kicked in yet) stays with him and doesn't transfer to the new leader.

I have to say I have been thinking this for a while also the weather should be better and Covid even calmer. The shock of NI and fuel price rises can be dumped in BJs lap. The new MP will have the poor results out of the way and claim that they are working to clear up the mess BJ left.

It's a very Tory approach to the problem.
A question for political people - Boris and this Saville Slur on 16:59 - Feb 8 with 229 viewsfactual_blue

A question for political people - Boris and this Saville Slur on 12:15 - Feb 8 by bluelagos

Here you go. The speaker gives Johnson a savaging...or not.

Depending on how stupid you consider boris to be, he either chose his words deliberately - knowing they'd be misunderstood by People With Very Real Concerns - or he'd blissfully unaware what would happen.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024