Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is the Member of Parliament for Ipswich – let that sink in 22:43 - Apr 13 with 1736 viewsSomethingBlue

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

This is the Member of Parliament for Ipswich — let that sink in on 11:28 - Apr 14 with 1433 viewsNBVJohn

Officer, I was doing 100mph on the A14 for less than 10 minutes, so I don’t think I broke the law.

Breathtaking.
This is the Member of Parliament for Ipswich — let that sink in on 11:30 - Apr 14 with 1423 viewsEireannach_gorm

This is the Member of Parliament for Ipswich — let that sink in on 11:28 - Apr 14 by NBVJohn

Officer, I was doing 100mph on the A14 for less than 10 minutes, so I don’t think I broke the law.

Breathtaking.

Get it right - BROKE THE RULES.
This is the Member of Parliament for Ipswich — let that sink in on 11:32 - Apr 14 with 1417 viewsmylittletown

Countryside needed.
This is the Member of Parliament for Ipswich — let that sink in on 14:04 - Apr 14 with 1290 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Well he didn't really read my email I suspect and certainly didn't answer my specific questions (no surprise there) but here's his reply:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the issue of a fixed penalty notice being issued to the Prime Minister and Chancellor.

As I've stated before I haven't been happy at all by many of the developments that took place at Downing Street throughout the pandemic. When the revelations first emerged about rule-breaking at Number 10, understandable anger was expressed to me by many constituents. I shared this anger. Sue Gray's redacted report confirmed that there was rule breaking at Number 10, and the moment the Metropolitan Police launched their investigation, we knew where this could likely lead. The development yesterday was clearly significant, and I think is was right that the Prime Minister and the Chancellor both issued full public apologies and took responsibility for what happened. The vast majority of us can all agree that this is unacceptable, and we can get very angry about it all over again. However, the more difficult question is what to do now? What's the ideal outcome?

The Russian invasion of Ukraine is arguably the most significant development on mainland Europe since the end of the Second World War. Despite the heroic efforts of the Ukrainian people in driving back Russian forces, Putin made clear only yesterday that he intends to intensify the military campaign in the eastern parts of the country. We've also had the shocking revelations that it looks likely that chemical weapons have been used against the Ukrainian people. It's absolutely vital that as a country we're focused fully on supporting the Ukrainian nation and people over the coming weeks and months. I for one, despite my anger at yesterday’s developments, would not welcome months of psychodrama in Westminster. Looking to remove the Prime Minister and engaging in a leadership election over many months doesn't seem to me like the best thing to do or the responsible thing to do. A Prime Minister I must add who in my view has by and large acquitted himself very well throughout the crisis in Ukraine. He took the correct decision to arm the Ukrainian army ahead of any other country and British military equipment has made a real contribution towards stalling the advance of the Russian army. President Zelensky himself has singled out the Prime Minister for the strong support he has provided to the Ukrainian nation more so than any other world leader.

Destabilising the country at this moment and removing one of Ukraine's key allies would undoubtably play into the hands of Vladimir Putin. There is a reason why Putin on numerous occasions has referred to the Prime Minister as "enemy number one", it's because of the unstinting support he has provided to the people of Ukraine. When I commented on this matter many months ago I expressed concern about the Number 10 operation. I stated that there needed to be a major overhaul. This has happened. Significant numbers have been cleared out and there have been many new additions. Many positive additions and it certainly seems that there is a lot more grip over at Number 10 than there has been for quite some time. On this point, both myself and many colleagues feel like we've been listened to.

I also think it's important we view the performance of the Prime Minister in the round. I do feel strongly that he's got many of the big calls right. On vaccines he was right to opt out of the European Medicines Agency approach that would have delayed the roll out of the vaccines by many months. He was right also not to give in to pressure to add further Covid restrictions last December (this January). We currently have one of the freest societies and economies in the world. It's difficult to think of a Prime Minister who has had to grapple with so many major issues. Brexit, Covid, war in Europe and now cost of living. Of course, he's made some mistakes along the way but who wouldn't have done? On the whole though I think he's got more right than wrong and has been proven correct on the big calls.

Despite the cost of living challenges many of the fundamentals when it comes to growth and employment are actually positive which is actually quite remarkable when you think of what the country has gone through over the past two years. Over the past month or so I've had the great pleasure of talking to hundreds of constituents on their doorsteps. From time to time some of them have expressed anger at 'Partygate', but by and large the key issues to come up have been local ones, the cost of living and the situation in Ukraine. This is what I want the Government to be dedicated towards. And as the local MP it's also what I want to be focused on.

When I woke up this morning I was greeted with the news that global inflation is now at record levels and that the President of the USA has now labelled some of the actions carried out by the Russian Army in Ukraine as being genocidal. These are not ordinary times. However, as much as I do care about the developments that occurred yesterday, I care more about how the Prime Minister deals with the crisis in Ukraine and cost of living. This issue does matter. Standards in public life do matter. You will not see me looking to belittle the concerns many of my constituents will continue to have about the goings on and their understandable anger.

However, bearing in mind the magnitude of the issues that the Prime Minister is currently grappling with, I think it would be disproportionate to seek to remove the Prime Minister as a result of fixed penalty notices.

Yours Sincerely,

Tom Hunt
Member of Parliament for Ipswich

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

This is the Member of Parliament for Ipswich — let that sink in on 14:11 - Apr 14 with 1273 viewsSwansea_Blue

This is the Member of Parliament for Ipswich — let that sink in on 14:04 - Apr 14 by You_Bloo_Right

Well he didn't really read my email I suspect and certainly didn't answer my specific questions (no surprise there) but here's his reply:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the issue of a fixed penalty notice being issued to the Prime Minister and Chancellor.

As I've stated before I haven't been happy at all by many of the developments that took place at Downing Street throughout the pandemic. When the revelations first emerged about rule-breaking at Number 10, understandable anger was expressed to me by many constituents. I shared this anger. Sue Gray's redacted report confirmed that there was rule breaking at Number 10, and the moment the Metropolitan Police launched their investigation, we knew where this could likely lead. The development yesterday was clearly significant, and I think is was right that the Prime Minister and the Chancellor both issued full public apologies and took responsibility for what happened. The vast majority of us can all agree that this is unacceptable, and we can get very angry about it all over again. However, the more difficult question is what to do now? What's the ideal outcome?

The Russian invasion of Ukraine is arguably the most significant development on mainland Europe since the end of the Second World War. Despite the heroic efforts of the Ukrainian people in driving back Russian forces, Putin made clear only yesterday that he intends to intensify the military campaign in the eastern parts of the country. We've also had the shocking revelations that it looks likely that chemical weapons have been used against the Ukrainian people. It's absolutely vital that as a country we're focused fully on supporting the Ukrainian nation and people over the coming weeks and months. I for one, despite my anger at yesterday’s developments, would not welcome months of psychodrama in Westminster. Looking to remove the Prime Minister and engaging in a leadership election over many months doesn't seem to me like the best thing to do or the responsible thing to do. A Prime Minister I must add who in my view has by and large acquitted himself very well throughout the crisis in Ukraine. He took the correct decision to arm the Ukrainian army ahead of any other country and British military equipment has made a real contribution towards stalling the advance of the Russian army. President Zelensky himself has singled out the Prime Minister for the strong support he has provided to the Ukrainian nation more so than any other world leader.

Destabilising the country at this moment and removing one of Ukraine's key allies would undoubtably play into the hands of Vladimir Putin. There is a reason why Putin on numerous occasions has referred to the Prime Minister as "enemy number one", it's because of the unstinting support he has provided to the people of Ukraine. When I commented on this matter many months ago I expressed concern about the Number 10 operation. I stated that there needed to be a major overhaul. This has happened. Significant numbers have been cleared out and there have been many new additions. Many positive additions and it certainly seems that there is a lot more grip over at Number 10 than there has been for quite some time. On this point, both myself and many colleagues feel like we've been listened to.

I also think it's important we view the performance of the Prime Minister in the round. I do feel strongly that he's got many of the big calls right. On vaccines he was right to opt out of the European Medicines Agency approach that would have delayed the roll out of the vaccines by many months. He was right also not to give in to pressure to add further Covid restrictions last December (this January). We currently have one of the freest societies and economies in the world. It's difficult to think of a Prime Minister who has had to grapple with so many major issues. Brexit, Covid, war in Europe and now cost of living. Of course, he's made some mistakes along the way but who wouldn't have done? On the whole though I think he's got more right than wrong and has been proven correct on the big calls.

Despite the cost of living challenges many of the fundamentals when it comes to growth and employment are actually positive which is actually quite remarkable when you think of what the country has gone through over the past two years. Over the past month or so I've had the great pleasure of talking to hundreds of constituents on their doorsteps. From time to time some of them have expressed anger at 'Partygate', but by and large the key issues to come up have been local ones, the cost of living and the situation in Ukraine. This is what I want the Government to be dedicated towards. And as the local MP it's also what I want to be focused on.

When I woke up this morning I was greeted with the news that global inflation is now at record levels and that the President of the USA has now labelled some of the actions carried out by the Russian Army in Ukraine as being genocidal. These are not ordinary times. However, as much as I do care about the developments that occurred yesterday, I care more about how the Prime Minister deals with the crisis in Ukraine and cost of living. This issue does matter. Standards in public life do matter. You will not see me looking to belittle the concerns many of my constituents will continue to have about the goings on and their understandable anger.

However, bearing in mind the magnitude of the issues that the Prime Minister is currently grappling with, I think it would be disproportionate to seek to remove the Prime Minister as a result of fixed penalty notices.

Yours Sincerely,

Tom Hunt
Member of Parliament for Ipswich

They really are disgusting individuals, hiding behind the suffering of Ukrainians to excuse their criminal actions

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This is the Member of Parliament for Ipswich — let that sink in on 14:16 - Apr 14 with 1258 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

This is the Member of Parliament for Ipswich — let that sink in on 14:11 - Apr 14 by Swansea_Blue

They really are disgusting individuals, hiding behind the suffering of Ukrainians to excuse their criminal actions

He will, of course, receive a fulsome reply (which he will ignore) but one thing that is intriguing me is this ...

'..Putin on numerous occasions has referred to the Prime Minister as "enemy number one"'

I can't find any independent corroboration of that statement but will keep looking just in case.

Edit: Nah found it, depends on the order of the words in the search.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2022 14:17]

This is the Member of Parliament for Ipswich — let that sink in on 18:23 - Apr 14 with 1059 viewsFelstow1978

Hunt ... rhymes with ...

Poll: Isn't it time that HRH Shesgotmyballsinherhand stops feeling the need to preach?

This is the Member of Parliament for Ipswich — let that sink in on 18:26 - Apr 14 with 1041 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

This is the Member of Parliament for Ipswich — let that sink in on 18:23 - Apr 14 by Felstow1978

Hunt ... rhymes with ...

Affront?

Login to get fewer ads

This is the Member of Parliament for Ipswich — let that sink in on 18:42 - Apr 14 with 1018 viewsHARRY10

What is the prize on offer for being the Tory MP to post the most absurd claim about fatboy ?

It is the law, not rules

It matters little how long he was there

It is not the only example, as this cretin well knows. The bloater was sat outside on the terrace, as the photo clearly shows and it is expected other cases will follow

It was clearly a culture of ignoring the law because the oiks would not be able to see over the wall.

But of far greater importance is his misrepresentation (lying) to Parliament. When he knew he was lying

From there not being any parties to his being there, but he did not know there were parties we were taken into the levels of deceit where the Parrot Sketch becomes (in comparison) an accurate account of the parrots state of health.

He is now totally compromised. No authority to discipline errant MPs, no credibility in either Parliament, or the wider world. This lying will continue to dog him until fellow Tories decide he needs putting down

A fat bloke waddling...................towards the exit
This is the Member of Parliament for Ipswich — let that sink in on 18:58 - Apr 14 with 982 viewsmutters

So he's basically saying that the Met Police have acted illegally due to him being issued a fine then?

I am proud to come from Suffolk, these types of numptys don't deserve to represent such a beautiful part of the country.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

This is the Member of Parliament for Ipswich — let that sink in on 21:02 - Apr 14 with 872 viewsBlueBadger

This is the Member of Parliament for Ipswich — let that sink in on 18:23 - Apr 14 by Felstow1978

Hunt ... rhymes with ...

Tread carefully here.....

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This is the Member of Parliament for Ipswich — let that sink in on 23:20 - Apr 14 with 753 viewsNthsuffolkblue

My own Tory MP automated response in reply to asking him to oppose sending asylum seekers to Rwanda:

"My staff and I aim to respond to all enquiries within 30 working days. However, I am currently receiving an unprecedented volume of emails, and it may not always be possible to respond within this timeframe."

Interesting that they are getting so many e-mails right now. I guess it is all that congratulations on what a wonderful job they are doing.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024