Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New aquatic centre 08:06 - Jun 7 with 2254 viewswrightsrightglove

on Portman Road car park potentially. I always thought this was earmarked for a multi-storey car park? But I suppose having sports facilities together makes sense and it would neaten up the area.

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/local-council/ipswich-crown-pools-set-to-clos
New aquatic centre on 08:09 - Jun 7 with 2218 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Sounds fishy.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

New aquatic centre on 08:10 - Jun 7 with 2218 viewsSitfcB

Multi-storey car park going in the corner by Axa

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ipswich-portman-road-car-park-decision-288913

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

New aquatic centre on 08:13 - Jun 7 with 2193 viewswrightsrightglove

New aquatic centre on 08:10 - Jun 7 by SitfcB

Multi-storey car park going in the corner by Axa

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ipswich-portman-road-car-park-decision-288913

Ah okay, hopefully there’s enough room for both! Although I won’t hold my breath on either actually happening!
New aquatic centre on 08:17 - Jun 7 with 2161 viewshomer_123

Expect more players to take a dive then.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

New aquatic centre on 09:02 - Jun 7 with 2035 viewsMattinLondon

Speaking about sports centres - is Snoasis still a potential thing somewhere in Suffolk?
New aquatic centre on 09:05 - Jun 7 with 2022 viewshype313

New aquatic centre on 09:02 - Jun 7 by MattinLondon

Speaking about sports centres - is Snoasis still a potential thing somewhere in Suffolk?

Only a few months away from opening I understand.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

New aquatic centre on 09:17 - Jun 7 with 1980 viewsMattinLondon

New aquatic centre on 09:05 - Jun 7 by hype313

Only a few months away from opening I understand.

That’s good to know. Thought for a moment the application process would go on and on.
New aquatic centre on 09:41 - Jun 7 with 1900 viewshype313

New aquatic centre on 09:17 - Jun 7 by MattinLondon

That’s good to know. Thought for a moment the application process would go on and on.

One might say Imminent.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

New aquatic centre on 10:40 - Jun 7 with 1787 viewsthorpedo

Mark Fish to manage the plaice?....

Thorpedo

New aquatic centre on 14:40 - Jun 7 with 1474 viewsSonOfSpock

In general terms, I think its welcome news that a new swimming facility is being considered (as well as the athletics and gym upgrades at other sports centres) - the last update in 2012 of Crown pools was a sticking plaster over a building that has long exceeded its sell by date.

Hopefully there will be plenty of consultation ongoing, but I have a few reservations about the proposal.

1) Pool size - apparently the new pool is to be 25m x 10 lanes - 2 lanes wider than currently, but, I think this is an opportunity for the town to push for a 50m pool.

This would benefit not only the local swimming club, but I am confident that it would be used by other clubs in the County. If a boom is installed, then you get the flexibility of separating into 2 separate 25m pools if needed.

Another plus is that there are no other 50m pools in Suffolk. You have to travel to Norwich (UEA) or Basildon to get experience in training or competitions. There would be massive draw for an Olympic sized pool.

2) Diving pit - as with the above, if this is a new facility I see no reason why we can't try to get one built - another draw to the town. Again, am not sure there is a pit in Suffolk - possibly the nearest is Southend (happy to be corrected).

3) Parking - assuming the multi story car park gets built great - but on a match days things are already busy enough, is there going to be capacity for when there are galas where you can get perhaps 300 competitors plus families as well as the football side?
New aquatic centre on 14:57 - Jun 7 with 1434 viewsJ2BLUE

New aquatic centre on 14:40 - Jun 7 by SonOfSpock

In general terms, I think its welcome news that a new swimming facility is being considered (as well as the athletics and gym upgrades at other sports centres) - the last update in 2012 of Crown pools was a sticking plaster over a building that has long exceeded its sell by date.

Hopefully there will be plenty of consultation ongoing, but I have a few reservations about the proposal.

1) Pool size - apparently the new pool is to be 25m x 10 lanes - 2 lanes wider than currently, but, I think this is an opportunity for the town to push for a 50m pool.

This would benefit not only the local swimming club, but I am confident that it would be used by other clubs in the County. If a boom is installed, then you get the flexibility of separating into 2 separate 25m pools if needed.

Another plus is that there are no other 50m pools in Suffolk. You have to travel to Norwich (UEA) or Basildon to get experience in training or competitions. There would be massive draw for an Olympic sized pool.

2) Diving pit - as with the above, if this is a new facility I see no reason why we can't try to get one built - another draw to the town. Again, am not sure there is a pit in Suffolk - possibly the nearest is Southend (happy to be corrected).

3) Parking - assuming the multi story car park gets built great - but on a match days things are already busy enough, is there going to be capacity for when there are galas where you can get perhaps 300 competitors plus families as well as the football side?

Surely it will also need a massive leisure area if it's replacing crown pools? All that would be expensive.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

New aquatic centre on 15:08 - Jun 7 with 1409 viewsJakeITFC

New aquatic centre on 14:40 - Jun 7 by SonOfSpock

I wouldn't have thought that space is much bigger than 50m wide to start with, certainly not with leaving a suitable amount of room between the pool and AXA (let alone a leisure pool, changing facilities, cafe etc.).

I do agree with you that it would be brilliant to have - something like the national aquatic centre in Dublin would be fantastic, but can't really fit in a town centre location.
New aquatic centre on 15:46 - Jun 7 with 1302 viewsBLUEBEAT

Ian Westlake must be well excited.

Poll: W or W

New aquatic centre on 16:54 - Jun 7 with 1217 viewsBluespeed225

That artist gets a lot of work from IBC, none of which ever gets built! Keep the ideas coming, the public will chat about it for a while, then forget about it, move onto next drawing…..
New aquatic centre on 20:55 - Jun 7 with 1068 viewsSonOfSpock

New aquatic centre on 14:57 - Jun 7 by J2BLUE

Surely it will also need a massive leisure area if it's replacing crown pools? All that would be expensive.

I'd like to think that the council would be in a good position to get extra funding from the lottery and or swim England to help towards things,especially if the extra pool size and dive pit was included.

Will be interesting to see plans in more detail re leisure space.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024