Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Average weekly cost of living...£587. 07:27 - Jun 10 with 2359 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Add about £100 to that if you are in the private rented sector.
https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/average-uk-household-budget#nogo

So that requires a wage of £14.675/hour (40 hour week) just to tread water. Just whatever you do, don't think of asking for a proper minimum wage or pay increase.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2022 7:28]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 07:45 - Jun 10 with 1959 viewsclive_baker

Yep, must be very difficult for those living on their own or in single income families in particular. £2.5k a month sounds a lot to me, but if that is true then average household income needs to be your figure net, which is £40k per annum gross. I understand it’s closer to £30k on average (household income) so it feels entirely unsustainable that average costs are so much higher than average incomes. I fear a technical recession which is very possible in US soon, they’ve already registered 1 quarter. I worry what the sentiment does to business investment and consumer spending, and subsequently jobs. Going to be a rough couple of years I imagine.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 08:00 - Jun 10 with 1929 viewsGuthrum

Hmm. That might be what the average are spending, but there are quite a lot of "luxuries" in there, e.g. the £52 per week on 'Hotels and restaurants', which the less well off simply don't do (can't afford to).

That report is somewhat skewed by those households with two well-paid earners who have a lot of spare disposable income to spend on holidays, eating out, etc.

Which doesn't negate your underlying point of how hard it is for those at the bottom, who are having to pay the same inflated prices for basic essentials.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 08:23 - Jun 10 with 1862 viewsChurchman

Interesting. Obviously, there will be enormous variations in percentage costs. For instance, if you commute into London or any distance transport costs will be relatively higher.

There are assumptions made in the data too, but none of this distracts from the essence of your point that anyone on or near the minimum wage (£9.50?) is going to struggle. The official line is get a better job or an additional job isn’t it? Jeez.
Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 08:53 - Jun 10 with 1789 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 08:23 - Jun 10 by Churchman

Interesting. Obviously, there will be enormous variations in percentage costs. For instance, if you commute into London or any distance transport costs will be relatively higher.

There are assumptions made in the data too, but none of this distracts from the essence of your point that anyone on or near the minimum wage (£9.50?) is going to struggle. The official line is get a better job or an additional job isn’t it? Jeez.

I noticed on QT that the 'but rail workers earn more than nurses' has started. So the problem seems to be that some people get paid too much.

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 09:18 - Jun 10 with 1744 viewsChurchman

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 08:53 - Jun 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

I noticed on QT that the 'but rail workers earn more than nurses' has started. So the problem seems to be that some people get paid too much.

It is irrelevant what train drivers get paid, just as it is footballers. The default setting always seems to be a race to the bottom which annoys the heck out of me. A classic example was pension provision. Wrecked in the 90s/2000s, the argument was not let’s raise pension provision up but to reduce or take it away from anyone left who had one.

In the tories case with the public sector from 2010 they called it ‘reform’. I called it stripping out. Whatever the label it was short sighted and malicious.

Back to the main point, if the basic cost of living is X, that’s what the minimum wage should be set against in my view. Simple.
Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 10:25 - Jun 10 with 1662 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 09:18 - Jun 10 by Churchman

It is irrelevant what train drivers get paid, just as it is footballers. The default setting always seems to be a race to the bottom which annoys the heck out of me. A classic example was pension provision. Wrecked in the 90s/2000s, the argument was not let’s raise pension provision up but to reduce or take it away from anyone left who had one.

In the tories case with the public sector from 2010 they called it ‘reform’. I called it stripping out. Whatever the label it was short sighted and malicious.

Back to the main point, if the basic cost of living is X, that’s what the minimum wage should be set against in my view. Simple.

Sadly it appeared that the audience were swallowing it hook, line and sinker…..again!

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 10:37 - Jun 10 with 1638 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 08:23 - Jun 10 by Churchman

Usual nonsensical bollox from a government of clowns. Whether you ask for a wage rise, or as the clueless suggest “get a better paid job” it’s STILL wage inflation. They really are stupid. All that will do is further add to the cost inflation for businesses and get passed on to everyone else making us poorer still.

What they need, and are either unable or unwilling to do is tackle the COST crisis. Temporary VAT relief on energy bills and fuel costs as well as targeted help for lower earners.

Two more years of this sh1te.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2022 22:57]
Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 10:37 - Jun 10 with 1634 viewsitfcjoe

This time last year my energy bill was £141 a month, it then went to £161, and then in March went to £210 - yesterday I had an email from Octopus saying it now needs to go to £399. Over a £3k per annum increase in less than a year.

Doesn't help that Shell have been sitting on over £500 of money left in my Green account since September as well - after months of emails and calls had more success on one afternoon on Twitter to get that moving yesterday.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 11:38 - Jun 10 with 1545 viewsOldFart71

The average wage is hogwash. It takes into account those earning vast sums of money. I know some will say it also takes into account low wage earners as well. Let's face it, what you need to survive varies from household to household. We, meaning me and the missus don't have many takeaways, we drink occasionally but not at a pub. We don't go to restaurants or coffee houses. I like a bet on the horses, but hardly ever more than a fiver or tenner. I write a list for supermarket shopping and although a few items get added in general it's adhered to. I still have a small mortgage and run a car. All this on an income in the low £20,000's per annum. It is more about managing what you have and as the saying goes "Cutting your cloth". It's hard and sometimes laborious, but it has to be done.
Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 11:43 - Jun 10 with 1524 viewschicoazul

Interesting. Does it break down how much of that is tax?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 11:54 - Jun 10 with 1512 viewsOldFart71

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 09:18 - Jun 10 by Churchman

You therefore have to make the State pension up to the cost of living and at present it comes nowhere near the minimum wage of £9.50 per hour or £380 per week based on a 40 hour week. Unfortunately this will never happen as this Government dropped the Triple Lock this year meaning an increase of only 3.1% when inflations due to rise to 10% and also seems intent on making people work much longer before accessing their State pension meaning that many will not reach that age if the State Pension is still around then.
Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 12:03 - Jun 10 with 1500 viewsfallyblue

What a load of old tosh, I private rent a two bedroom flat and comfortably live on £350 a week including all food and bills, which includes sky. Just another left wing scaremongering article
Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 12:18 - Jun 10 with 1467 viewsRyorry

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 10:37 - Jun 10 by itfcjoe

This time last year my energy bill was £141 a month, it then went to £161, and then in March went to £210 - yesterday I had an email from Octopus saying it now needs to go to £399. Over a £3k per annum increase in less than a year.

Doesn't help that Shell have been sitting on over £500 of money left in my Green account since September as well - after months of emails and calls had more success on one afternoon on Twitter to get that moving yesterday.

I was in same position (albeit "only" £220) - Shell simply used it to pay my bills. Surely their default position should have been to do same with you?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 12:32 - Jun 10 with 1442 viewsHARRY10

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 10:37 - Jun 10 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Usual nonsensical bollox from a government of clowns. Whether you ask for a wage rise, or as the clueless suggest “get a better paid job” it’s STILL wage inflation. They really are stupid. All that will do is further add to the cost inflation for businesses and get passed on to everyone else making us poorer still.

What they need, and are either unable or unwilling to do is tackle the COST crisis. Temporary VAT relief on energy bills and fuel costs as well as targeted help for lower earners.

Two more years of this sh1te.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2022 22:57]

Actually, not correct.

A good will only sell for 'what the market will bear' which means that any extra costs (wages) are a higher charge on the profits.

Much as the nonsense that shoplifting puts up prices. If taht were the case then items in a supermarket in a high crime area would be higher, whereas they are often cheaper because of the lower spendung power of locals.

Much as with other costs. Would not a supermarket in London, with London weighting/higher rates et be charging more than the same shop in rural Suffolk ?

This myth is peddled with the aim of dividing folk. Making them believe that some are undeservedly getting a more crumbs from the table than they are.
Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 12:47 - Jun 10 with 1403 viewsgiant_stow

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 10:25 - Jun 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

Sadly it appeared that the audience were swallowing it hook, line and sinker…..again!

me too:

Boris Boris Boris! by giant_stow 9 Jun 2022 13:08
Its all a bit sketchy, but from I’ve read there have hardly been any negotiations yet, although I’m not sure who’s fault that is (being honest).

Money is limited — if the govt puts in more on top of the £16b they’ve already put in to the rail industry, that means less can be spent elsewhere. Or taxes go up which could leave less well off people in even more financial trouble than many already face.

The nobility of the cause is obviously subjective and I’m obviously very biased having ranted about this for years. However, a quick google tells me that Train worker salaries (not just drivers) average in the 50s, Nurses, in the 30s, Policemen in the 20s, firefighters in the 30s and teacher sin the very early 30s.

I would ask where the nobility is in a strike that seeks to make relatively comfortable people, more comfortable still, when there are far better causes out there?

I sometimes think I'm the only genuine commie on this site.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 12:47 - Jun 10 with 1403 viewsitfcjoe

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 12:18 - Jun 10 by Ryorry

I was in same position (albeit "only" £220) - Shell simply used it to pay my bills. Surely their default position should have been to do same with you?

I was mid switch between Green (Shell) and Avro (Octopus) so it was due to be transferred but because I never received a final bill from Shell they can't locate it - so much for client money rules.

Fortunately I have a couple of screenshots which is helping but it is very painful - we keep getting a new complaints handler and they tell us they have looked into our case and now can we supply the final account.....whcih we've said countless times we don't have!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 12:52 - Jun 10 with 1389 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 12:03 - Jun 10 by fallyblue

What a load of old tosh, I private rent a two bedroom flat and comfortably live on £350 a week including all food and bills, which includes sky. Just another left wing scaremongering article

Two bed flat in Ipswich? I reckon the lowest cost for this is about £170 p/w
Council Tax? Assuming band A and single person discount £20 p/w
Other living costs? The Roundtree Foundation reckons a single pensioner needs £136 p/w minimum (excluding housing costs)
Sky? £10 p/w let's say.
TV licence £3
Mobile phone £5 ?

What's that so far? £344

Not saying it can't be done or that you are a pensioner but £6 a week left for travel to work/luxuries. Pretty tight if you ask me rather than comfortable.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 13:01 - Jun 10 with 1367 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 12:32 - Jun 10 by HARRY10

Actually, not correct.

A good will only sell for 'what the market will bear' which means that any extra costs (wages) are a higher charge on the profits.

Much as the nonsense that shoplifting puts up prices. If taht were the case then items in a supermarket in a high crime area would be higher, whereas they are often cheaper because of the lower spendung power of locals.

Much as with other costs. Would not a supermarket in London, with London weighting/higher rates et be charging more than the same shop in rural Suffolk ?

This myth is peddled with the aim of dividing folk. Making them believe that some are undeservedly getting a more crumbs from the table than they are.

A good will only sell for 'what the market will bear'. Not if it is essential items.

And this is inflation is not being driven by supply and demand, but underlying commodity prices and increasing supply chain costs.

That wasn’t my argument anyway, but as per usual any nuance went over your head.
Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 13:05 - Jun 10 with 1356 viewsBent_double

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 12:03 - Jun 10 by fallyblue

Clearly you don't understand the meaning of 'average' then

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 13:24 - Jun 10 with 1318 viewsHARRY10

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 13:01 - Jun 10 by SuperKieranMcKenna

A good will only sell for 'what the market will bear'. Not if it is essential items.

And this is inflation is not being driven by supply and demand, but underlying commodity prices and increasing supply chain costs.

That wasn’t my argument anyway, but as per usual any nuance went over your head.

So, the old 'make it up and argue against that instead' ploy

Ig folk were wiling or able to pay whatever price the seller demanded there would be no need for help. Whereas we have seen a dastic cyt in spending...in essentials ei determined by what the market will bear.

As to this nonsense

"And this is inflation is not being driven by supply and demand underlying commodity prices and increasing supply chain costs"

What in earth do you think is determining those costs ? Demand is outstripping supply.

And to clarify, not every rise is borne by the seller, hence the rise - but to imagine that increased wages are what causes inflation is absurd. That is to confuse cause and effect.
Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 13:47 - Jun 10 with 1276 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 13:24 - Jun 10 by HARRY10

So, the old 'make it up and argue against that instead' ploy

Ig folk were wiling or able to pay whatever price the seller demanded there would be no need for help. Whereas we have seen a dastic cyt in spending...in essentials ei determined by what the market will bear.

As to this nonsense

"And this is inflation is not being driven by supply and demand underlying commodity prices and increasing supply chain costs"

What in earth do you think is determining those costs ? Demand is outstripping supply.

And to clarify, not every rise is borne by the seller, hence the rise - but to imagine that increased wages are what causes inflation is absurd. That is to confuse cause and effect.

I have a degree in Economics but thanks for your insight Harold.

If you read my original post I said that the govt need to tackle the COST crisis. I never said it was wages driving it, because it isn’t (would it add additional pressure, yes). Hence why the BoE putting interest rates up is p1ssing in the wind.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2022 13:50]
Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 13:57 - Jun 10 with 1242 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 13:47 - Jun 10 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I have a degree in Economics but thanks for your insight Harold.

If you read my original post I said that the govt need to tackle the COST crisis. I never said it was wages driving it, because it isn’t (would it add additional pressure, yes). Hence why the BoE putting interest rates up is p1ssing in the wind.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2022 13:50]

Are you hoping that the central banks after throwing shed loads of QE money at banks and big business to stave off deflation will now be trying to encourage deflation?

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 14:04 - Jun 10 with 1224 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 13:57 - Jun 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

Are you hoping that the central banks after throwing shed loads of QE money at banks and big business to stave off deflation will now be trying to encourage deflation?

QE should have ended years ago.
Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 14:07 - Jun 10 with 1221 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 14:04 - Jun 10 by SuperKieranMcKenna

However it didn't and now we have rampant inflation.....who would have thunk it. It's almost as if we have a zombie economy.

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 14:27 - Jun 10 with 1182 viewsChurchman

Average weekly cost of living...£587. on 14:04 - Jun 10 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I agree that QE should have been stopped a lot earlier as most serious commentators have said. The Chancellor/BofE left it far too long. I can’t see inflation coming down any time soon. The prediction is a return to under 4% next year and while that’s possible, it seems unlikely to me.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024