Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Midfield 13:46 - Jun 21 with 3841 viewsclive_baker

Wonder if we'll look to fill that Carroll / Bakinson void with someone else, especially if Harper and El Miz aren't fancied. Obviously we've signed Ball but it's looking like 2 from Morsy, Evans, Ball as it stands, and I would imagine we'll certainly want a 4th. Not writing Harper off by any means, just basing it on the fact KM had a month with him and was happy to let him go to Crewe when we still had p/off ambitions.

In front of them too, Chaplin, Aluko about the only contenders as it stands, if we assume Dobra is out of the picture. I see Edwards spoken about as an option, but I really see him as a wide man so probably not best suited to this system, unless he can make a case at LWB. I think we might see a bigger name come in towards the end of the window. Marlon Pack is leaving Cardiff, obviously got the Bristol City links there. Been a very good player, I wonder if he might be looked at?

Obviously a lot of factors, I'm not even convinced we're as wedded to the current system as some believe. Will depend who we can shift to some extent too, I would think there's still 2 or 3 we would be happy to get out the door.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Midfield on 15:54 - Jun 21 with 1016 viewsitfcjoe

Midfield on 15:49 - Jun 21 by chicoazul

Scoring enough goals is my biggest worry for this season. We need 20 more than we got last year and we lost our top scorer Bonn (or was it joint top) and Celina who got us 20 I think between them. Maybe I’m just a miserable old scrote but I feel less and less optimistic about this season the closer it gets. The way we evaporated in the last half dozen games of last season fills me with woe.

I wouldn't worry about those last few games, we were out of it and didn't have a striker to play how McKenna wanted - he's kept one who can and recruited another in recent weeks

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Midfield on 15:55 - Jun 21 with 1013 viewsportmanking

Midfield on 15:53 - Jun 21 by itfcjoe

Might get him for £4-5m with a sell on and a buy back though - I'd be far more comfortable spending it there than on Twine as MR would have proper resale value and I'm not convinced Twine ever will

There's a reason we're being canny in the Bosman market so far. Keeping our powder dry for a marquee name like Rogers to set the tone. WBA links too, will know Harper, Edwards et al.
Midfield on 15:55 - Jun 21 with 1005 viewstractorboy1978

Midfield on 15:53 - Jun 21 by itfcjoe

Might get him for £4-5m with a sell on and a buy back though - I'd be far more comfortable spending it there than on Twine as MR would have proper resale value and I'm not convinced Twine ever will

Assuming we are in the market for £4-5m players I'd definitely agree. It sounds bonkers saying that for a L1 club though!
Midfield on 15:56 - Jun 21 with 1000 viewsKieran_Knows

Midfield on 15:30 - Jun 21 by portmanking

From what I gather, that's very much the case.

As I've said before, we went for him at the very last minute in January to take over his loan from Bournemouth when it became apparent he wouldn't be getting any game time the 2nd half of the season, but we couldn't agree a deal with City before the window closed.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Midfield on 15:58 - Jun 21 with 979 viewsITFCBOY19

Midfield on 15:56 - Jun 21 by Kieran_Knows

As I've said before, we went for him at the very last minute in January to take over his loan from Bournemouth when it became apparent he wouldn't be getting any game time the 2nd half of the season, but we couldn't agree a deal with City before the window closed.

Are we actually in for Rogers then?
Midfield on 16:00 - Jun 21 with 963 viewsclive_baker

Midfield on 15:46 - Jun 21 by markchips

Who do we think they will try and shift ?

El Miz on loan, Harper and Penney I would expect ?

I would think Hladky will probably be allowed to leave if there's interest in him and a fee involved. When I say allowed to leave, I have no idea if that's what he wants, but you would think he's too senior at this stage of his career to play second fiddle to Walton. A couple of hundred grand and his wages off the bill could probably be better spent.

Penney might hang about as cover. He's probably not on a huge wage and with 1 year left on his deal I imagine he's at best bit part this season.

1 of El Miz and Harper I would think will almost certainly go, perhaps on loan if not perm.

Dobra's days are numbered I think.

Pigott is someone I expect we would sell, but interest in him is unlikely to be from anyone who could afford to tempt him away.

Midfield on 16:07 - Jun 21 with 934 viewsitfcjoe

Midfield on 15:55 - Jun 21 by portmanking

There's a reason we're being canny in the Bosman market so far. Keeping our powder dry for a marquee name like Rogers to set the tone. WBA links too, will know Harper, Edwards et al.

I don't think that's why we've signed who we have - Ball and Ladapo on serious money at this level and wages are a bigger problem than fees.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Midfield on 16:10 - Jun 21 with 916 viewsKieran_Knows

Midfield on 15:58 - Jun 21 by ITFCBOY19

Are we actually in for Rogers then?

I couldn't say whether were in for him now, but we certainly tried very late in the January transfer window.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Login to get fewer ads

Midfield on 16:55 - Jun 21 with 828 viewsDJR

Midfield on 14:44 - Jun 21 by clive_baker

That's the concern, and probably beyond the midfield. When you consider top sides at this level score 80 a season or very close to. I look at our forwards and if we got half of them from Jackson, Pigott, Ladapo we've done OK, especially in a system where it's tended to be an either / or in terms of selection rather than both. Jackson might change that though, I can see him partnered. Chaplin will score goals, Burns hopefully too, but I don't see where 15 - 20 will come from centre mid and back 3. I would love Morsy to be an 8-10 a season man and Celina to bag double figures.

We need peak Tommy Miller.

Very few of the players we purchased last season had great goalscoring records, and a couple of those who did (Pigott and Fraser) didn't live up to the billing. That translated itself onto the pitch where it became clear that we have a lot of players who don't have a goal instinct, and even a coach like McKenna couldn't fix this. It was interesting to see the training video where they were practising headers from corners, but everyone can score from an uncontested corner. What matters is scoring from a corner when there are defenders, and maybe some of our players just don't have that ability. Morsy is another case in point. He did start scoring towards the end, but he is hardly a natural. Hopefully, with some slightly more physical players, we will be better at corners. People like Lapado should also offer us something we didn't have last season. And hopefully with a better and more athletic team, we will just create many more chances, which even some of our goal-shy players won't miss.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2022 17:07]
Midfield on 17:16 - Jun 21 with 792 viewsclive_baker

Midfield on 16:55 - Jun 21 by DJR

Very few of the players we purchased last season had great goalscoring records, and a couple of those who did (Pigott and Fraser) didn't live up to the billing. That translated itself onto the pitch where it became clear that we have a lot of players who don't have a goal instinct, and even a coach like McKenna couldn't fix this. It was interesting to see the training video where they were practising headers from corners, but everyone can score from an uncontested corner. What matters is scoring from a corner when there are defenders, and maybe some of our players just don't have that ability. Morsy is another case in point. He did start scoring towards the end, but he is hardly a natural. Hopefully, with some slightly more physical players, we will be better at corners. People like Lapado should also offer us something we didn't have last season. And hopefully with a better and more athletic team, we will just create many more chances, which even some of our goal-shy players won't miss.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2022 17:07]

Agree with that, and certainly hoping it's the case in terms of us upping our goals scored. I do think there's something to be said around our defensive robustness, with a back 3, and a possession based stlye which lends itself conceding less. You could perhaps argue we don't need as many goals as is typical to get promoted. KM's half season yielded about 10 goals fewer than run rate for most of the top 6. 10 goals across 26 games is a lot, but equally we didn't ship many. 12 goals conceded in 26, which is ridiculous really. And 13 clean sheets.

You get as many points for a 1-0 win as 4-1 afterall.

Midfield on 17:31 - Jun 21 with 766 viewschicoazul

Midfield on 16:00 - Jun 21 by clive_baker

I would think Hladky will probably be allowed to leave if there's interest in him and a fee involved. When I say allowed to leave, I have no idea if that's what he wants, but you would think he's too senior at this stage of his career to play second fiddle to Walton. A couple of hundred grand and his wages off the bill could probably be better spent.

Penney might hang about as cover. He's probably not on a huge wage and with 1 year left on his deal I imagine he's at best bit part this season.

1 of El Miz and Harper I would think will almost certainly go, perhaps on loan if not perm.

Dobra's days are numbered I think.

Pigott is someone I expect we would sell, but interest in him is unlikely to be from anyone who could afford to tempt him away.

Gladky is probably on more than Pig though.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Midfield on 18:02 - Jun 21 with 724 viewsclive_baker

Midfield on 17:31 - Jun 21 by chicoazul

Gladky is probably on more than Pig though.

I don't know what Hladky is on but the Pig is on stupid money, based on what I was told. It's because he was a free agent off the back of a great season at Wimbledon, there was obviously interest elsewhere and his agent milked it. Firmly cashed his chips at the right time. I don't suppose Hladky had as much negotiating power once the offer was accepted from Salford, although as I say I don't know what he's on, could be more I guess.

Midfield on 18:43 - Jun 21 with 666 viewsDJR

Midfield on 17:16 - Jun 21 by clive_baker

Agree with that, and certainly hoping it's the case in terms of us upping our goals scored. I do think there's something to be said around our defensive robustness, with a back 3, and a possession based stlye which lends itself conceding less. You could perhaps argue we don't need as many goals as is typical to get promoted. KM's half season yielded about 10 goals fewer than run rate for most of the top 6. 10 goals across 26 games is a lot, but equally we didn't ship many. 12 goals conceded in 26, which is ridiculous really. And 13 clean sheets.

You get as many points for a 1-0 win as 4-1 afterall.

I think that's spot on.
Midfield on 19:39 - Jun 21 with 592 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Midfield on 18:02 - Jun 21 by clive_baker

I don't know what Hladky is on but the Pig is on stupid money, based on what I was told. It's because he was a free agent off the back of a great season at Wimbledon, there was obviously interest elsewhere and his agent milked it. Firmly cashed his chips at the right time. I don't suppose Hladky had as much negotiating power once the offer was accepted from Salford, although as I say I don't know what he's on, could be more I guess.

Think Pig going on loan with us playing a big chunk of wage is most likely, depends how much he wants to play, what's more important. On one hand he's 28 at his peak and should have the best 3/4 years of his career about to begin and if you are competitive you surely want to play as much possible? On the other he's 28, spent his careers to date in the lower league and is on the biggest contract of his career and possibly the biggest he will ever forget, its a short career and at 28 you probably have at least half an eye on life after football. Lots to weigh up.

Hdlacky similar i suspect.

One thing Leigh says about his game is he's good in the air so if we have someone who can deliver a dead ball maybe he will help. Did we score any goals from corners last season?

Ladapo has a good record in L1 if he can serve up 15 and tbe rest of the team chip in as much as last year we'll have a great platform. 1 more who can offer 15 plus would make a huge difference for us

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Midfield on 20:40 - Jun 21 with 536 viewsMullet

I'd persist with Harper if he has come back motivated. I think he went out because he struggled with injury/covid and never got going again.

The problem is, how do you get him flying when he's not in the team and flitting between the U23s? I really like El Miz but it feels like it's time he went and played full time and flourished in Div 4 etc.

For me, I'd invest more in the front line as goals from the widemen and strikers need to be more consistent. A real showpiece winger/10 whether that's Celina or not is key for me.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024