Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marcus Harness 12:18 - Aug 18 with 2288 viewsquad

Might not be technically as good a player as Aluko or Celina, but I prefer him to both.

4 games into the season and already scored 3 goals. Equivalent to what Aluko scored in the WHOLE OF LAST SEASON and half of what Celina scored in the WHOLE OF LAST SEASON.

What I love about Harness is that he is direct and effective. Goals win games and will give us a much greater chance of promotion. I know I bang on about Aluko's lack of goals but I really don't understand why fans seem to love him so much. Fine as an impact sub, but he doesn't contribute enough in goals and assists to drive a promotion push IMO.

I'm not expecting Harness to carry on scoring at the rate he has been, but you would think that he would be in double figures by the end of the season. Same as Burns and Chaplin. I'm going to stick my neck out and say with the amount of chances he's been getting that Morsy will be in double figures or close to it as well.

So in essence, Morsy, Burns, Chaplin and Harness should be starting all or nearly all games this season. Aluko, Jackson and Cat are all very good players but should remain as impact subs IMO, on the basis that none of them are likely to have the same high goal returns.

Jury is out on Ladapo, but I still fancy him to be in double figures by the end of the season too (if he's not replaced by another striker). Hasn't scored yet but looks sharp and has shown previously that he's a natural goal scorer.
Marcus Harness on 12:28 - Aug 18 with 2177 viewsDarth_Koont

Harness is certainly part of us playing higher and getting the front three together. Aluko and Celina like to drop deeper which is sometimes a good thing too when Morsy and Evans need help.

But overall, with the front 3 closer to each other and taking up a higher position on and off the ball, we’re looking consistently more effective and threatening than we did last season.

Fingers crossed it continues.

Pronouns: He/Him

Marcus Harness on 12:45 - Aug 18 with 2083 viewsSheffordBlue

Ladapo currently leads the xG stats for town with Chaplin and Harness just behind him. I know not everyone likes xG but if he's regularly getting on or creating his own goal scoring chances then the goals will come. Hopefully they come before his not scoring becomes too much of a thing. I think once he gets his first the second, third and fourth will come quite quickly

https://www.fotmob.com/leagues/108/stats/season/17835/players/expected_goals_per
[Post edited 18 Aug 2022 12:47]

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Marcus Harness on 13:08 - Aug 18 with 1934 viewsChrisd

Thankfully, all the Celina chat has quietened right down.

Lapado does a great job for the team and though he hasn't scored yet it shouldn't be overlooked as to what he does offer. The goals will come for him, but in the meantime I can see the value he does provide. Lets be honest, we haven't got another striker that offers those same attributes as Lapado, we look a different side when he's taken off late on in games.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2022 13:10]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Marcus Harness on 13:39 - Aug 18 with 1766 viewsBlueandTruesince82

With Aluko it's everything else he does, reads the game, the, brings a bit of calmness, helps us keep the ball, keep our rythem.

I think he's rather unsung in what he does, a cool head that doesn't make too many errors.

I'd be keen to know what is pre assist stats are

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Marcus Harness on 13:43 - Aug 18 with 1723 viewsclive_baker

He's very direct, I like that about him, and that his instinct is to beat a man and break the lines. I think the ey to getting the best out of him is to get him facing thier goal. On the evidence we have he doesn't have the close control that Celina or Chaplin do which has limited his impact with his back to goal, the ball certainly didn't stick with him on Tuesday but he recognised that himself with his comments post match.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Marcus Harness on 13:51 - Aug 18 with 1684 viewsclive_baker

Marcus Harness on 13:39 - Aug 18 by BlueandTruesince82

With Aluko it's everything else he does, reads the game, the, brings a bit of calmness, helps us keep the ball, keep our rythem.

I think he's rather unsung in what he does, a cool head that doesn't make too many errors.

I'd be keen to know what is pre assist stats are

Quite. Technically he's a class act, by and large he looks after the ball so well, can glide past players, lovely touch and vision and ability to execute a pass. Had Ladapo had his shooting boots on first half we would all be purring about an Aluko assist, dropping the shoulder and playing that well weighted ball through.

He's a very experienced head to bring on to kill a game, always seems to make the right decision when in possession. Contrast that to TJJ for example who is raw but has all of that to learn. That's what 15+ years Championship, Premier League, International and SPL experience brings you.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Marcus Harness on 13:59 - Aug 18 with 1636 viewsibbleobble

Not a patch on Celina and it’s very evident in the final third. It’s a no contest for me, Celina is a vastly superior player. Thankful for Harness’s positive start and I’m sure he’ll have a very good, enjoyable season but I’d take Celina in that role any day.
Marcus Harness on 14:28 - Aug 18 with 1517 viewsquad

Marcus Harness on 13:59 - Aug 18 by ibbleobble

Not a patch on Celina and it’s very evident in the final third. It’s a no contest for me, Celina is a vastly superior player. Thankful for Harness’s positive start and I’m sure he’ll have a very good, enjoyable season but I’d take Celina in that role any day.

Maybe you're right. But what I will say is that was an absolutely cracking goal from Harness against Burton, and if Celina had been here and scored similar then people on here would have been raving all season about it being world class , goal of the season etc... Harness doesn't get quite the same reaction because he hasn't been fully accepted yet.
Login to get fewer ads

Marcus Harness on 14:51 - Aug 18 with 1426 viewsBiGDonnie

Imagine him and Celina in behind our striker...

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Marcus Harness on 14:54 - Aug 18 with 1411 viewsstopmoaning

Celina isn't as effective in any way though, based on this short run of games.

To be honest, Celina's career is on the way down right now - he's playing for a tiny club in Turkey, he must be hoping for a move back to the UK next season, but he's going to have to start getting those caps again.
Marcus Harness on 15:01 - Aug 18 with 1381 viewsFrimleyBlue

Marcus Harness on 14:51 - Aug 18 by BiGDonnie

Imagine him and Celina in behind our striker...

But erm. You always said you wouldn't remove Chaplin...

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Marcus Harness on 15:04 - Aug 18 with 1366 viewsFrimleyBlue

It hasn't been evident. We've so far won more games in a row than we ever did with celina in it for starters.

But the biggest difference for me is the ability of harness to stretch the opposition players, press with intent and natural desire to gain a yard and get a shot in.

Waka waka eh eh

Marcus Harness on 15:15 - Aug 18 with 1326 viewsHighgateBlue

Marcus Harness on 12:45 - Aug 18 by SheffordBlue

Ladapo currently leads the xG stats for town with Chaplin and Harness just behind him. I know not everyone likes xG but if he's regularly getting on or creating his own goal scoring chances then the goals will come. Hopefully they come before his not scoring becomes too much of a thing. I think once he gets his first the second, third and fourth will come quite quickly

https://www.fotmob.com/leagues/108/stats/season/17835/players/expected_goals_per
[Post edited 18 Aug 2022 12:47]

I'm not trying to be facetious, but is it fair to say that if someone leads the xG stats but hasn't yet scored, that's a pretty strong indictment of his finishing?

Only a few games into the season, but that's true of xG as well as goals scored and % shots converted (or whatever the latter is called).
Marcus Harness on 15:20 - Aug 18 with 1313 viewsquad

Marcus Harness on 15:04 - Aug 18 by FrimleyBlue

It hasn't been evident. We've so far won more games in a row than we ever did with celina in it for starters.

But the biggest difference for me is the ability of harness to stretch the opposition players, press with intent and natural desire to gain a yard and get a shot in.

His ability to gain a yard and get a shot in is reminiscent of Chaplin. Hopeful that between them they will bag a shedload this season.

As Harness said himself he can't keep the ball but he can stick it in the onion bag. That will do me.
Marcus Harness on 15:24 - Aug 18 with 1296 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Celina may be superior but he was hardly consistent last season.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2022 15:24]
Marcus Harness on 15:47 - Aug 18 with 1240 viewsBigCommon

Despite his goal scoring start to life at Ipswich, I still think there's a bit more to come from Harness. Which is understandable, given that he's still settling in a bit. But , crikey, he ain't half bounced back after a dodgy debut. Which deserves a lot of credit. Some players might have shrunk a bit after that. What I noticed in the Bolton game, was, when he lost the ball, he was a bit slow to react. Think Morsy barked at him a few times that day. He's definitely improved that side of his game, in an instant. When we do press, higher up, as we did against MKD, there's no room for slackers, and he's addressed that straight away.
There's still one or two errors in his game, in terms of misplaced passes. Deffo got away with one at Burton. But those on-field mental connections with team mates, rarely happen overnight. So I'll cut him a bit of slack for now. Let's not forget, even Celina took a while to click with the team.
What I like about Harness, from what we've seen. He can pull the trigger with both feet from anywhere around the box ,and he hits the target. 6 shots, 5 on target for 3 goals, in 4 x 70 minute appearances. That's insane, especially with his dodgy Bolton game in those stats.
Think , as he continues to blend in, the odd errors will disappear.
I find it hard to make a Celina comparison. They are different types of player. For me, Celina is quite unique in the way he plays. ( In the same way it would be hard to compare a right sided player to Wes Burns). I'd say Celina can hold onto the ball better to feet. The ball just sticks. But there aren't many players in L1 with Celina's first touch. So that's not a dig at Harness. Also, Harness benefits from us strengthening our left hand side with Davis and Leigh. Be interesting to see how he'd gotten on in the first few games with Penney for instance. Celina had to play with weaker (imo) players to his left.
Overall, though. Really pleased with Harness. I was worried if we could fill the Celina void. Don't think we've replaced him like for like. But we've certainly found a player that adds something in that position. And someone who can give us those "moments" of excitement. That all fans love. Not least, goals out of nowhere. That goal at Burton, was exactly what we lacked in tight games last season. Someone to just get hold of it and have a pop, instead of trying to over play it.
Marcus Harness on 15:49 - Aug 18 with 1230 viewsNthsuffolkblue

He is prepared to take a shot more than players were generally last season. I think Morsy is doing so more this season too. That might be a tactical change and certainly one I welcome.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Marcus Harness on 16:55 - Aug 18 with 1147 viewsibbleobble

Marcus Harness on 15:04 - Aug 18 by FrimleyBlue

Your first point means nothing in regards to who is a better player and Celina does everything Harness does and more but makes it look far effortless. I like Harness but on individual ability its night and day. How each play in the team and make the team function should be the focus and it’s too early to assess fairly and probably ever given we’re much better drilled now than we were most of last season.
Marcus Harness on 16:58 - Aug 18 with 1124 viewsFrimleyBlue

Marcus Harness on 16:55 - Aug 18 by ibbleobble

Your first point means nothing in regards to who is a better player and Celina does everything Harness does and more but makes it look far effortless. I like Harness but on individual ability its night and day. How each play in the team and make the team function should be the focus and it’s too early to assess fairly and probably ever given we’re much better drilled now than we were most of last season.

" it's too early to assess fairly"

Yet you did by saying its evident we miss him in the final third. Yet the results don't show that we do miss him and presently we are showing the opposite.

I agree tho more time should be taken.

Waka waka eh eh

Marcus Harness on 17:02 - Aug 18 with 1099 viewsSheffordBlue

Marcus Harness on 15:15 - Aug 18 by HighgateBlue

I'm not trying to be facetious, but is it fair to say that if someone leads the xG stats but hasn't yet scored, that's a pretty strong indictment of his finishing?

Only a few games into the season, but that's true of xG as well as goals scored and % shots converted (or whatever the latter is called).

That's true although I think it tends to balance out over a longer period. I'd be far more worried if he wasn't getting shots off or had a low xG. There have also been several good blocks and saves against his chances which on another day would have gone in.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Marcus Harness on 17:09 - Aug 18 with 1063 viewsNthsuffolkblue

His finishing has been poor but he strikes me as a player low on confidence as far as that aspect is concerned and who will bang them in once he gets his first (Harness appeared a different player as soon he got his too). The xG suggests he is linking up well and getting into the right positions.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Marcus Harness on 17:12 - Aug 18 with 1051 viewsFrimleyBlue

Marcus Harness on 17:09 - Aug 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

His finishing has been poor but he strikes me as a player low on confidence as far as that aspect is concerned and who will bang them in once he gets his first (Harness appeared a different player as soon he got his too). The xG suggests he is linking up well and getting into the right positions.

I think his goal into the bottom corner in pre season showed he has the composure. I just think his 2 first touches were painful Tuesday and that can happen with any striker.

Waka waka eh eh

Marcus Harness on 17:34 - Aug 18 with 1013 viewsibbleobble

Marcus Harness on 16:58 - Aug 18 by FrimleyBlue

" it's too early to assess fairly"

Yet you did by saying its evident we miss him in the final third. Yet the results don't show that we do miss him and presently we are showing the opposite.

I agree tho more time should be taken.

The results from this season have no bearing on whether Harness is a better player than Celina, that would be a really illogical comparison.

Celina is a better footballer and brings more to the game in the final third in may different ways: first touch, vision, composure, technique in tight spaces. Celina’s ball retention is incredible for League One standard. These are excellent attributes that are missed.
Marcus Harness on 17:34 - Aug 18 with 1013 viewsHalifaxBlue

It should be pointed out that xG is not intended to be useful over sample sizes like 4 or 5 games and that when players significantly over/underperform it in small sample sizes they will move towards the mean almost as a rule.

It is a very effective predictor over longer periods, but is much, much less useful when looking at just a handful of games.

Same with shooting %, although that stat is more or less obsolete next to xG as they attempt to measure essentially the same thing, but one much more comprehensively than the other.

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024