Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McKenna blundered today 17:55 - Aug 27 with 3009 viewspointofblue

Ladapo for Harness was a non-sensical decision and left John-Jules marooned out the game on the left where he had absolutely no impact. Admittedly, he tried correcting it if sorts by bringing him in field and playing him in the number ten position but that didn’t work either.

At half time the error should have rectified - Ladapo off, Harness on with John-Jules moved up front, but we had to wait until we’ll over the hour mark for the sub to occur. If Harness was tired and could only do half hour then Aluko or, at a stretch, Jackson should have been introduced instead.

Yes, the referee was dreadful. Yes, we should have been given a third goal plus potentially a penalty. Yes, I would love to know who should have been marking their second scorer. But tactically we were slow, ponderous and too few outlets for the first hour and a bit, which was down to the errors from the bench.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

McKenna blundered today on 17:58 - Aug 27 with 2733 viewsNthsuffolkblue

And yet we still scored 3 goals (although one of those was ruled out). It seems that conceding too many was more the issue.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

McKenna blundered today on 17:58 - Aug 27 with 2723 viewsbilllm

Yea he cocked it,harness goal was great that's football,
McKenna blundered today on 18:00 - Aug 27 with 2701 viewsblaggers

McKenna blundered today on 17:58 - Aug 27 by billlm

Yea he cocked it,harness goal was great that's football,

Agree with you about the set piece defending - I can imagine a few b0llockings being given out at full time. From where I was I saw about 3 Barnsley players totally free at the edge of the area.

Poll: What happens next?

McKenna blundered today on 18:01 - Aug 27 with 2679 viewspointofblue

McKenna blundered today on 17:58 - Aug 27 by Nthsuffolkblue

And yet we still scored 3 goals (although one of those was ruled out). It seems that conceding too many was more the issue.

Think they had three shots on goal? Two went in and the third dribbled into Walton’s arms. Have to admit, thought he should have done better for the first.

McKenna blundered today on 18:01 - Aug 27 with 2674 viewsCityBlue

Poor day at the office from Ty…. Freddy was NOT ready….
KVY back to his greatness

I T I D

McKenna blundered today on 18:02 - Aug 27 with 2651 viewspointofblue

McKenna blundered today on 18:01 - Aug 27 by CityBlue

Poor day at the office from Ty…. Freddy was NOT ready….
KVY back to his greatness

John-Jules was out of position. He was great leading the line last week so why move him out on the left/as a number ten?

McKenna blundered today on 19:04 - Aug 27 with 2392 views44_not_out

The title of this thread is a bit embarrassing

We have dropped 4 points from a possible 18 and sit joint top!

How you could be critical of KMc is beyond me.

I admit it was not our best performance of the season, but we still dominated in most areas. As well as the goal that was wrongly ruled out, there was a worldly save by their keeper in the closing moments and we hit the post.

As mentioned above, if there should be any criticism, then it’s the defending from the corner when they got their second goal.

We remain on course for promotion , enjoy the ride!

Some people don’t deserve nice things
McKenna blundered today on 20:26 - Aug 27 with 2214 viewspointofblue

McKenna blundered today on 19:04 - Aug 27 by 44_not_out

The title of this thread is a bit embarrassing

We have dropped 4 points from a possible 18 and sit joint top!

How you could be critical of KMc is beyond me.

I admit it was not our best performance of the season, but we still dominated in most areas. As well as the goal that was wrongly ruled out, there was a worldly save by their keeper in the closing moments and we hit the post.

As mentioned above, if there should be any criticism, then it’s the defending from the corner when they got their second goal.

We remain on course for promotion , enjoy the ride!

Some people don’t deserve nice things

Critical because he bizarrely changed formation, dropped one of our top scorer's, brought in someone out of form and shoehorned the central strike who scored last week out wide. It made no sense from kick off and we looked lethargic and slow in build up play (despite Barnsley being the team who played in midweek) until Harness came on.

Login to get fewer ads

McKenna blundered today on 20:51 - Aug 27 with 2131 viewsIwasthere

McKenna blundered today on 20:26 - Aug 27 by pointofblue

Critical because he bizarrely changed formation, dropped one of our top scorer's, brought in someone out of form and shoehorned the central strike who scored last week out wide. It made no sense from kick off and we looked lethargic and slow in build up play (despite Barnsley being the team who played in midweek) until Harness came on.

Agree with all this plus Chaplin was also misfiring today. Yes some lessons learnt, sloppy defending, Morsy and Evans cotrolled midfield, flashes of class from Burns.
I am eagerly waiting for the announcement of a new striker who can challenge defenders in the air. I don't think our strikers won a single aerial ball until Harness came on. Promising last 20 minutes.
McKenna blundered today on 21:10 - Aug 27 with 2082 views44_not_out

McKenna blundered today on 20:51 - Aug 27 by Iwasthere

Agree with all this plus Chaplin was also misfiring today. Yes some lessons learnt, sloppy defending, Morsy and Evans cotrolled midfield, flashes of class from Burns.
I am eagerly waiting for the announcement of a new striker who can challenge defenders in the air. I don't think our strikers won a single aerial ball until Harness came on. Promising last 20 minutes.

Chaplin ‘misfiring’?

Certainly did not look he was misfiring. From where I was sitting it went in the top bin

Moaning for the sake of it. (Some of) the ITFC fan base never fail to amaze me
McKenna blundered today on 21:23 - Aug 27 with 2030 viewsBarcaBlue

McKenna blundered today on 21:10 - Aug 27 by 44_not_out

Chaplin ‘misfiring’?

Certainly did not look he was misfiring. From where I was sitting it went in the top bin

I've never seen the OP come on here after a win and say McKenna got it spot on today. Just likes a good moan with the benefit of hindsight.
McKenna blundered today on 21:29 - Aug 27 with 2006 viewsIwasthere

Chaplin ‘misfiring’?

Certainly not moaning. Chaplin scored a great goal but did little else from where I was sitting in block Q Magners Stand. His disribution in the final third was poor which resulted in our attacks breaking down.
Ladapo, JJ and Chaplin were ineffective and as Pointofblue stated let's hope KM takes note.
McKenna blundered today on 21:36 - Aug 27 with 1951 viewspointofblue

McKenna blundered today on 21:23 - Aug 27 by BarcaBlue

I've never seen the OP come on here after a win and say McKenna got it spot on today. Just likes a good moan with the benefit of hindsight.

I got caught last week - I thought he'd gone a bit Lambingo with his selection and said as much and actually he got it spot on and deserved credit for it.

It wasn't so much the starting line up which bugged me today (though I thought we were playing with a front two when I saw the line up) but the amount of time it took to change it.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2022 21:43]

McKenna blundered today on 21:53 - Aug 27 with 1896 viewsBarcaBlue

McKenna blundered today on 21:36 - Aug 27 by pointofblue

I got caught last week - I thought he'd gone a bit Lambingo with his selection and said as much and actually he got it spot on and deserved credit for it.

It wasn't so much the starting line up which bugged me today (though I thought we were playing with a front two when I saw the line up) but the amount of time it took to change it.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2022 21:43]

It was a general observation about your response to a disappointing result, not just today. You and FrimleyMakin were like the old hecklers from The Muppet Show at the end of last season.

I'm as disappointed as the next Town fan after the result today but you've got to believe the team he sent out was as well thought out as the previous four victories and during the match he had confidence in his selection.
McKenna blundered today on 21:58 - Aug 27 with 1860 viewsLankHenners

Not really, whenever we don't win someone always pipes up claiming this player or that player should have played. It's like when people used to blame every loss or draw under Mick on him not having Celina on the pitch.

He wasn't 'marooned' out on the left and performed the same function as Chaplin did on the right but the left side just didn't click as well today. We knew Barnsley would, initially at least, press us and therefore having players who can look after the ball well would be needed, TJJ has shown to be better at that aspect than Harness, plus light rotation throughout the season will prevent any burnout towards the end anyway, and having Ladapo's strength up top made sense to allow us to push up and force them to drop off and concede space. It didn't quite work due to personnel not playing as well as they can do and some general break downs in passing and concentration but the intent was pretty clear.

It was a mixed performance with some good spells and some not so good. It happens and the ref ruled out a perfectly fine goal which would have killed the game. To pin things on the specific personnel changes you highlight is daft to be honest.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

McKenna blundered today on 22:00 - Aug 27 with 1851 viewsjeera

McKenna blundered today on 21:53 - Aug 27 by BarcaBlue

It was a general observation about your response to a disappointing result, not just today. You and FrimleyMakin were like the old hecklers from The Muppet Show at the end of last season.

I'm as disappointed as the next Town fan after the result today but you've got to believe the team he sent out was as well thought out as the previous four victories and during the match he had confidence in his selection.

"You and FrimleyMakin were like the old hecklers from The Muppet Show at the end of last season."

I like Pointers as it goes and don't even dislike Frimley as much as I used to.

But this made me laugh.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

McKenna blundered today on 22:02 - Aug 27 with 1844 viewspointofblue

McKenna blundered today on 21:53 - Aug 27 by BarcaBlue

Well at least we have a role on here, even if it as Statler and Waldorf.

We should have won. If it wasn't for the ref we probably would have won. But it felt like we had flaws in our set up today which could have been easily addressed earlier and weren't. As soon as Harness came on, we had an extra fire and spark.

McKenna blundered today on 11:32 - Aug 28 with 1522 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

McKenna blundered today on 22:02 - Aug 27 by pointofblue

We should have won. If it wasn't for the ref we probably would have won. But it felt like we had flaws in our set up today which could have been easily addressed earlier and weren't. As soon as Harness came on, we had an extra fire and spark.

Maybe that resting of Harness and then bringing him on for the "extra fire and spark" was part of the plan - it almost worked but for the ref - and McKenna should be given credit for that.

We could've quite easily won every game so far this season, so it's a little churlish to moan about McKenna's selection.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

McKenna blundered today on 11:35 - Aug 28 with 1511 viewsDubtractor

McKenna blundered today on 22:02 - Aug 27 by pointofblue

FWIW, with the benefit of hindsight, the starting selection was probably wrong, and it was no surprise at all that the first change was withdrawing Ladapo and JJ. But calling it a blunder and a nonsensical decision is just being a bit silly.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

McKenna blundered today on 11:49 - Aug 28 with 1490 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Cmon people

Ref gives us that 3 goal and no-one is going into this much depth about the selection. He put out a team that won that game yesterday, score may not say that, but we know it, Barnsley know it, the idiot pompey fan knows it and if he's being honest with himself the ref knows it too.

Unbeaten in the league.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

McKenna blundered today on 11:51 - Aug 28 with 1479 viewsWickets

McKenna blundered today on 18:01 - Aug 27 by pointofblue

Think they had three shots on goal? Two went in and the third dribbled into Walton’s arms. Have to admit, thought he should have done better for the first.

Pretty sure Walton made one really good save low to his left first half .
McKenna blundered today on 12:31 - Aug 28 with 1413 viewsArnieM

OP: er, there was another team on t(e pitch yesterday you know! They parked the bus when they weren’t deploying a 10 man high up the field press…. Or didn’t you notice that?

I would however agree with you Ladapo / JJ simply didn’t cut it first half . But then there was no space to cut it. Space appeared later in the game as they tried. And as if b6 magic, McKenna brings on super quick forwards Jackson and Harness, and look hat (append we scored 2 goals in a matter of minutes. Hardly McKenna’s fault that tw@ of a so called “ ref” ruled out a perfectly good goal is it?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

McKenna blundered today on 12:53 - Aug 28 with 1377 viewspointofblue

McKenna blundered today on 12:31 - Aug 28 by ArnieM

OP: er, there was another team on t(e pitch yesterday you know! They parked the bus when they weren’t deploying a 10 man high up the field press…. Or didn’t you notice that?

I would however agree with you Ladapo / JJ simply didn’t cut it first half . But then there was no space to cut it. Space appeared later in the game as they tried. And as if b6 magic, McKenna brings on super quick forwards Jackson and Harness, and look hat (append we scored 2 goals in a matter of minutes. Hardly McKenna’s fault that tw@ of a so called “ ref” ruled out a perfectly good goal is it?

McKenna made an error with the starting line up and first half approach. But maybe I came across as too harsh in my OP because that happens; manager’s think a tactic will work and it doesn’t. I just don’t understand why it took so long to change it. I wish he had subbed on Harness for Ladapo at half time and moved John-Jules up front, where he did so well last week.

True, the approach nearly worked had it not been for a diabolical ref. But if we’d changed earlier perhaps (albeit hypothetically) we would have been more dominant earlier in the half , creating and scoring so we wouldn’t have to point the finger at the disallowed goal.

We know it’s worked in the past, and it was clear the current approach wasn’t. So to wait until the 70th minute before changing it seemed too long. Just my opinion.

McKenna blundered today on 19:13 - Aug 28 with 1211 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Chaplin ‘misfiring’?

I thought Chaplin was the only one of the front 3 that started who wasn’t misfiring. He’s such a clever player at finding space.

Poll: Our final position

McKenna blundered today on 19:43 - Aug 28 with 1146 viewsjeera

McKenna blundered today on 11:49 - Aug 28 by BlueandTruesince82

Cmon people

Ref gives us that 3 goal and no-one is going into this much depth about the selection. He put out a team that won that game yesterday, score may not say that, but we know it, Barnsley know it, the idiot pompey fan knows it and if he's being honest with himself the ref knows it too.

Unbeaten in the league.

^ This with bells on.

Although I've never really given that saying much thought and don't really get it.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024