Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Commentary on iFollow 16:55 - Sep 3 with 1668 views2-5-7

No one has moaned for a while as far as I can see. But I’ve been listening to opposition commentary most games since BBC Suffolk was binned and have to say it makes it a better experience.
If that’s next years standard on our own TV then give me strength. It is NO GOOD ITFC. Why can’t you see that???
I don’t need a love in. I prefer an unbalanced opposition to a sanitised club line, especially when it’s flat as a lake.
Am I wrong??
Commentary on iFollow on 17:03 - Sep 3 with 1586 viewsSteve_M

I thought the ITFC commentary was good, obviously improved since the start of the season. Gary Probart was pretty interesting, talking about who was tracking which of our players - which wasn't obvious on one camera angle - and how hard Accrington were having to work to stay in the game.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Commentary on iFollow on 17:04 - Sep 3 with 1564 viewsDubtractor

Commentary on iFollow on 17:03 - Sep 3 by Steve_M

I thought the ITFC commentary was good, obviously improved since the start of the season. Gary Probart was pretty interesting, talking about who was tracking which of our players - which wasn't obvious on one camera angle - and how hard Accrington were having to work to stay in the game.

I've quite enjoyed the commentary on the games I've watched - appreciate that a lot of the complaints have been for those with audio only though.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Commentary on iFollow on 17:04 - Sep 3 with 1557 viewsbluefunk

If you’ve been listening to the opposition feed, how do you know ours is no good?
Commentary on iFollow on 17:04 - Sep 3 with 1552 viewstownblue

I like Brenner and would prefer that, but thought our ifollow commentary was decent today.
Commentary on iFollow on 17:06 - Sep 3 with 1532 viewsbelgablue

It's certainly improved and Ian Westlake has really added to the package.

Can I ask one question, have we always been called the Super Blues? The commentator says it every other minute.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Commentary on iFollow on 17:08 - Sep 3 with 1518 viewsearlsgreenblue

Commentary on iFollow on 17:04 - Sep 3 by townblue

I like Brenner and would prefer that, but thought our ifollow commentary was decent today.

2nd that, not too bad at all, prefer Westlake though.
Commentary on iFollow on 17:11 - Sep 3 with 1491 viewsurbanblue

Commentary on iFollow on 17:06 - Sep 3 by belgablue

Can I ask one question, have we always been called the Super Blues? The commentator says it every other minute.

We used to be be, back in the good old days. Trying to rekindle it I guess ... far far better then the Tractor Boys.
Commentary on iFollow on 17:11 - Sep 3 with 1485 views2-5-7

Commentary on iFollow on 17:04 - Sep 3 by bluefunk

If you’ve been listening to the opposition feed, how do you know ours is no good?

Flicked back and forth. Wasn't basing it on a psychic premonition obviously, I'm not commenting for not having a view - it's better yes. But not very good or professionally done compared to BBC.
I also don't need a shirt plug. Much rather a traffic report - that was a joke BTW
As I said it has gone quieter on the matter so I guess I'm in the minority so will park the moan.
Login to get fewer ads

Commentary on iFollow on 17:12 - Sep 3 with 1475 viewsbelgablue

Commentary on iFollow on 17:11 - Sep 3 by urbanblue

We used to be be, back in the good old days. Trying to rekindle it I guess ... far far better then the Tractor Boys.

That's what I thought but feels a while since it was used that often. Not complaining mind

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Commentary on iFollow on 17:13 - Sep 3 with 1449 views2-5-7

EXACTLY!!!!!!!! I mean WTF. What are we - 6 or 95?? I do not think it makes any sense. I feel the club like that name so he keeps saying it over and over again
Commentary on iFollow on 17:16 - Sep 3 with 1414 viewsclive_baker

Not a regular iFollow watcher but thought it was good tbh. Not a fan of the 'super blues' nickname he kept pushing but enjoyed the commentary. Co commentary was very good too, although he needs to master the art of knowing when to stop talking when we're in a dangerous area.

It's hardly state controlled media we're talking about here, we can all see what's happening on the pitch and it's just some audio to supplement it, might be different if you're audio only I guess.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Commentary on iFollow on 17:16 - Sep 3 with 1415 viewsBondiBlue

You're not wrong because it's a matter of opinion. But the new guy has grown on me. I'm fine with it. As others have said, westlake's good and was interesting listening to probert today.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Commentary on iFollow on 17:17 - Sep 3 with 1402 viewssw20tractor

I thought the co-commentator was good today. Always insightful having an Ipswich insider in terms of set up and tactics, etc.
What I don’t enjoy about this new set up is it’s complete bias. An example was when Davis made a mistake and lost the ball but all that was said was how well Davis did in getting the ball off the opponent.
Commentary on iFollow on 17:20 - Sep 3 with 1372 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Couldn’t stand Radio Suffolk, not sure why everyone rated it so much and Mick Mills could put anyone to sleep.

The new offering is alright.
Commentary on iFollow on 17:20 - Sep 3 with 1373 viewsSwansea_Blue

Hopefully a few people will realise Brenner isn’t as bad as they thought. New team are fine, just not such a charismatic/distinctive style. But that will come with time.

Not sure I’m overly impressed with the opposition commentary, although there’s one northern team who’s bloke is super dry, sarcastic and self deprecating. I can’t remember the team now, but he’s been a good listen for the last few years.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Commentary on iFollow on 17:23 - Sep 3 with 1357 viewshadleighboyblue

Commentary on iFollow on 17:04 - Sep 3 by townblue

Brenner is good , I don't understand people that criticise him . Radio Suffolk does a decent job .
Commentary on iFollow on 18:45 - Sep 3 with 1256 viewscoolcat

Commentary on iFollow on 17:11 - Sep 3 by 2-5-7

Flicked back and forth. Wasn't basing it on a psychic premonition obviously, I'm not commenting for not having a view - it's better yes. But not very good or professionally done compared to BBC.
I also don't need a shirt plug. Much rather a traffic report - that was a joke BTW
As I said it has gone quieter on the matter so I guess I'm in the minority so will park the moan.

I listen on ifollow only. Different experience altogether listening to the new in-house commentary as it's clearly geared to those watching. I start off listening to it then switch to the opposition radio. Radio & TV commentary skills are not the same. You don't get pauses and plugging tickets/merchandise on local radio. You are painted a clear picture of what's happening on the pitch & continuous commentary. Brings you to the heart of the game so you can picture what's happening. It's what I've always preferred about it. Totally different to tv commentary. Fans should get a choice like some clubs have done. I know we're stuck with it, but that's just my opinion.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2022 18:47]
Commentary on iFollow on 19:37 - Sep 3 with 1188 viewsDJR

Commentary on iFollow on 17:03 - Sep 3 by Steve_M

The issue isn't with the video coverage, it's the audio only that's the problem. I was listening on audio only and didn't really get a feel for what was going on. Merely saying "Evans ....Burgess ... Morsy ... Harness" doesn't convey what is going on.
Commentary on iFollow on 19:40 - Sep 3 with 1177 viewsDJR

Commentary on iFollow on 17:11 - Sep 3 by 2-5-7

I don't think you're in a minority when it comes to audio-only listeners, like me today
Commentary on iFollow on 19:43 - Sep 3 with 1169 viewsDJR

Commentary on iFollow on 18:45 - Sep 3 by coolcat

I listen on ifollow only. Different experience altogether listening to the new in-house commentary as it's clearly geared to those watching. I start off listening to it then switch to the opposition radio. Radio & TV commentary skills are not the same. You don't get pauses and plugging tickets/merchandise on local radio. You are painted a clear picture of what's happening on the pitch & continuous commentary. Brings you to the heart of the game so you can picture what's happening. It's what I've always preferred about it. Totally different to tv commentary. Fans should get a choice like some clubs have done. I know we're stuck with it, but that's just my opinion.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2022 18:47]

Spot on, as someone who listened today.
Commentary on iFollow on 19:47 - Sep 3 with 1152 viewsDJR

Commentary on iFollow on 17:20 - Sep 3 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Couldn’t stand Radio Suffolk, not sure why everyone rated it so much and Mick Mills could put anyone to sleep.

The new offering is alright.

Some of the side-kicks the in-house team have had are fairly dull, as is the commentator. I like Mick Mills, but if it's excitement/personality you want, Brenner and Mathie have it in spades. Fortunately, I get my Radio Suffolk fix by listening to Final Whistle.
Commentary on iFollow on 19:51 - Sep 3 with 1134 viewsSheffordBlue

I asked Glen on Twitter if that was his choice or if he'd been asked to use it by the club and it's the latter. Personally I can't see them getting the rest of the media to move away from the Tractor Boys which is at least unique to us.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Commentary on iFollow on 07:46 - Sep 4 with 852 viewsDJR

Commentary on iFollow on 19:51 - Sep 3 by SheffordBlue

I asked Glen on Twitter if that was his choice or if he'd been asked to use it by the club and it's the latter. Personally I can't see them getting the rest of the media to move away from the Tractor Boys which is at least unique to us.

This comment is slightly tongue in cheek, but this all seems rather Orwellian, as well as being very annoying. For what it is worth, my recollection is that our nicknames used to be the Blues or the Town, before the Tractor Boys one came along, and Wikipedia gives these three as our nicknames. Personally, I've never used anything other than plain old "Ipswich".

On a related theme, despite being a fan for over fifty years, it's only recently that I've become aware of the expression "Uppa Towen". Perhaps it predates me, and has recently come back into fashion. I certainly don't recall it being used in the North Stand in the 1970s.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2022 7:51]
Commentary on iFollow on 07:59 - Sep 4 with 837 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Commentary on iFollow on 17:23 - Sep 3 by hadleighboyblue

Brenner is good , I don't understand people that criticise him . Radio Suffolk does a decent job .

I think the obvious point that is missed in this discussion was that Brenner has been the commentator during a period when Ipswich have underachieved and frustrated us as fans, so at the end of the match some of the dissatisfaction has been projected onto him. The biggest complaint about him is that he sounds too excited when the opposition create a chance or score.

In contrast the new kid on the block (Googling tells me his name is Glenn Wheeler?) is commentating during a time of optimism, when Town are undefeated, and playing a coherent and exciting, attacking brand of football. Let's hope we don't hear him preside over a stuttering period! (And it's sad for me not to have Mick Mills on during this bright spell- his downbeat reputation comes from this period of decline- when McGoldrick and Murphy were firing he was purring.)

He's OK for video commentary, but the criticism from audio-only subscribers that he doesn't say where the ball is on the pitch enough is completely correct, and it is reasonable to expect him to take a few games to improve and get to his best.

I will add that Ian Westlake is excellent. Having played just about every position on the pitch he does have an excellent tactical knowledge and, rarer for an ex-pro, he has the ability to communicate it without resorting to clichés.

One final point: I have sometimes switched to opposition commentary, and there are some belters out there! The Lancastrian clubs in particular seem to have funny, self-deprecating, diehard fans with strong local accents, on commentary. Brunner's North East accent always felt incongruous in comparison.

Tldr: give the new bloke a bit more time. Brenner and Mick weren't as bad as some people made out at the time. More Ian Westlake, please.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024