Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greetings from Argyle! 09:53 - Oct 16 with 3673 viewsGreenArmy75

Just registered to keep an eye on you all!

I expect you to be champions this year and Wednesday to be second given your budgets and size.

We are enjoying the ride and are improving year on year but don’t have a massive squad so are likely to fade into the playoffs.

I can’t reply to posts yet but some thought on what I’ve seen on your board.

1). Camara - you’ll love him if you can get him fit. We were happy to take the money for someone who wasn’t going to extend his contract last the final year and would be injured for the first 15 games of the season. He is full of energy and is a disruptor but won’t run with the ball for 30 yards and find a teammate. He’ll put it out for a throw. There’s a reason why he is at this level!

2). Time wasting. I agree that it is a blight on the game. Everyone does it. (Including Argyke and Ipswich!). Qualified ref told me the problem is that if you allow a keeper to take 45 seconds to take a goal kick in the first 5 mins of a game you can’t then book him later in the game for doing the same thing. I’d book him in the first half but that is just me!!
Players leaving the pitch for subs don’t have to leave by the nearest point if the ref thinks the crowd will try to intimidate the player…..

Best of luck for the season. You’ve been the best team we’ve played against this year and it was kind of you to gift us a winner. We hope we finish above you!
Greetings from Argyle! on 10:01 - Oct 16 with 3332 viewsDJR

Good luck to you too, and thanks for the observations. I think you are the best team we have played, so it would be nice for us both to go up in the top two. Indeed, given your record against teams in the top 6, I wouldn't be so sure that you will fade away.
Greetings from Argyle! on 10:04 - Oct 16 with 3313 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Greetings from Argyle! on 10:01 - Oct 16 by DJR

Good luck to you too, and thanks for the observations. I think you are the best team we have played, so it would be nice for us both to go up in the top two. Indeed, given your record against teams in the top 6, I wouldn't be so sure that you will fade away.

They are definitely the best team we have played however check out the highlights from MK yesterday. Christmas came early!
https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12721415/milton-keynes-don

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Greetings from Argyle! on 10:05 - Oct 16 with 3297 viewsRozz

Enjoy the ride. You've had a phenomenal start and beaten (most) of the best teams in the division, so nobody can argue you don't deserve to be there.

Like you said, the suspicion is that a long season may take its toll and I expect other teams to grow into the season. We were both tracking for well over 100 points at one stage, so no doubt we'll both have to overcome trickier patches of form.

We're starting to be tested. We've just lost to a dogged Lincoln with 30+ shots, 15 successful crosses, 14 corners. We'll be bang up for Derby on Friday.

All the best for the season.
Greetings from Argyle! on 10:09 - Oct 16 with 3269 viewsclive_baker

Plymouth are flying, you must be delighted with the start to the season. Certainly the best side we’ve played so far this season but as you say it’ll be interesting to see how the season plays out with a slightly smaller squad than those around you. You never know though, sometimes too much choice isn’t a good thing. The other risk might be Schumacher cashing his chips if a Championship club comes in for him, but hopefully not for your sake, and people said the same last season.

Camara is an interesting one, I’m sure he has a role to play but it’s not clear yet where he fits in. He certainly isn’t going to dislodge Evans & Morsy from the middle 2 and I don’t know if he is right for the number 10 position we’ve tended to see Chaplin & Harness occupy. He’ll be a handy squad player I’m sure.

We dropped 3 points yesterday but certainly no cause for concern, the stats will show you it was a game where we could have scored 3 on another day quite easily. You get those days, but if someone had offered 9 wins, 3 draws and 2 defeats from the opening 14 we would’ve taken it. The way we’re playing is the most impressive thing, and the more I see of us the more sure I am that we’ll finish in the top 3. I just hope it’s the top 2/3 of those spots as I don’t fancy the lottery of the playoffs.

I hope you maintain your form, would love to see Ipswich & Plymouth top 2.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Greetings from Argyle! on 10:17 - Oct 16 with 3210 viewsArnieM

OP. Your last line says it all about our Achilles heel.

Good luck yourselves , and I hope you go up , because you’ve been there or thereabouts for a few seasons now, and deserve a shot at the Championship in my view.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Greetings from Argyle! on 10:47 - Oct 16 with 3086 viewsLankHenners

Reading comments from a Plymouth perspective it seems like you all expect yourselves to tail off at some point but on current evidence I wouldn't be so sure. Like every team you'll hit a sticky patch or have a bad result (5-1 at Charlton I guess an example where things just go wrong) but you're comfortably the best team we've played this season so far.

It's been discussed on here and I'm sure among your fans but the worry for you surely is if your loan players continue to perform so well then you'll see a few of them recalled and sent to a higher division or even stay at their parent club (for example can see Swansea potentially wanting Whittaker back if they're still around the top 6 and want an extra bit of firepower to see them over the line).

Looking forward to seeing Camara play and will be interesting to see how McKenna uses him. Certainly seems to be someone we'll use to break up play and get us going from back to front quickly and all being well he'll get 30 mins or whatever in the EFL trophy on Tuesday which will give us an idea on how he'll be deployed.

Good luck, a Town/Plymouth 1-2 at the end of the season will be very nice. Good club, good young manager, playing great football, and unlike some other top teams in this division (especially another South Coast team beginning with 'P') you don't seem to have a fanbase full of total berks either.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Greetings from Argyle! on 12:50 - Oct 16 with 2727 viewsFtnfwest

Well played so far, if you get a system going and a team that buys into it, doesn’t matter what the budgets are until you get to the point of injuries etc. It’s been a long long time since this club has had anything to shout about and even with the complete change of playing and coaching staff it’s difficult to shake off the pervading sense of doom when things start to go wrong so it’s far from a cert we’ll make playoffs let alone top two. We should at least make the former tbf which was what I’d have been happy with before the season started
Greetings from Argyle! on 13:36 - Oct 16 with 2538 viewsquirkie

I think you are being a bit too modest here. You've played most around the top 6 and won them all including us bar Portsmouth. That takes some doing. Looks like Schumacher is a great tactical manager and reader of the the game and makes substitutions at the right time to change the course of a game.

If you remain injury free (tough ask in a 46 game season) then can see you going up automatically. I'd take a Ipswich, Argyle 1-2 this season quite happily.

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Login to get fewer ads

Greetings from Argyle! on 13:39 - Oct 16 with 2516 viewsgainsboroughblue

This is what a visiting fan to the forum should be.

All the best for this season. Hopefully a Town/Plymouth 1 and 2.

It's what the great P. Mariner would have wanted.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Greetings from Argyle! on 13:42 - Oct 16 with 2486 viewsGarv

There's a relatively simple solution to the infuriating (but hard to stop happening) time wasting, and it's add more stoppage time on, and actually play it.

There was 7 minutes added on yesterday and I don't think it even went to that - someone who's seen it on ifollow I'm sure will have seen. It's got to the stage now where every game should have a minimum 6/7 minutes added on.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Greetings from Argyle! on 14:08 - Oct 16 with 2411 viewsGavTWTD

Thanks for your post. Are Argyle able to add to the squad in January?

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Greetings from Argyle! on 14:35 - Oct 16 with 2317 viewslongtimefan

Greetings from Argyle! on 13:42 - Oct 16 by Garv

There's a relatively simple solution to the infuriating (but hard to stop happening) time wasting, and it's add more stoppage time on, and actually play it.

There was 7 minutes added on yesterday and I don't think it even went to that - someone who's seen it on ifollow I'm sure will have seen. It's got to the stage now where every game should have a minimum 6/7 minutes added on.

Ref blew at exactly 7 minutes added time, thus making zero allowance for the various stoppages/time wasting in those additional minutes,
Greetings from Argyle! on 14:43 - Oct 16 with 2287 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Greetings from Argyle! on 13:42 - Oct 16 by Garv

According to iFollow's timings he played 7 minutes exactly. However, quite a few minutes were wasted between the board going up and the whistle being blown, so I make you right.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Greetings from Argyle! on 14:45 - Oct 16 with 2276 viewsNthsuffolkblue

You had a fantastic season last season. To have accumulated the points you got and still not made the play-offs must have been utterly galling. If it wasn't for that being last season and your continuation of that into this season, I would agree with the expectation of you falling away. You are the best side we have played this season by some distance. I hope you maintain it again but with a better outcome (but, of course, not at our expense).

I would be delighted if we got a Mariner double of us finishing as the top two this season.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Greetings from Argyle! on 15:25 - Oct 16 with 2132 viewsGarv

Greetings from Argyle! on 14:35 - Oct 16 by longtimefan

Ref blew at exactly 7 minutes added time, thus making zero allowance for the various stoppages/time wasting in those additional minutes,

It's laughable, but it's nothing new.

It's why every goal like the Liverpool winner against Newcastle this season is a victory for football.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Greetings from Argyle! on 15:32 - Oct 16 with 2105 viewsGreenArmy75

Greetings from Argyle! on 14:08 - Oct 16 by GavTWTD

Thanks for your post. Are Argyle able to add to the squad in January?

Probably.

We have a massive background staff that analyse everything and then target players with certain skills. It wouldn’t surprise me to bring in a defender and wide midfielder as we are short there.

Our biggest worry is losing the manger (WBA rumour now) and he takes the DoF with him (Dewsnip) who is the real brains behind it all
Greetings from Argyle! on 15:38 - Oct 16 with 2066 viewsgainsboroughblue

Greetings from Argyle! on 15:32 - Oct 16 by GreenArmy75

Probably.

We have a massive background staff that analyse everything and then target players with certain skills. It wouldn’t surprise me to bring in a defender and wide midfielder as we are short there.

Our biggest worry is losing the manger (WBA rumour now) and he takes the DoF with him (Dewsnip) who is the real brains behind it all

I reckon we'll both be having worries of manager being poached. It's not a feeling we've been used to since possibly Burley, but almost certainly SBR who obviously, eventually got the top job in the country.

On that subject, was it ever on the cards that Schumacher followed Lowe to Preston? Or was he always a potential manager in his own right?. Judging by a lot of Preston's results, it doesn't seem like Lowe's style is overly eyecatching and maybe Schumacher had more to do with your form than him?

Another thing I should mention, was that we've both lost ex-managers from the mid to late 80s recently. Belated condolences on the passing of Dave Smith. He was a good character and know he was well regarded at Plymouth.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Greetings from Argyle! on 15:53 - Oct 16 with 2021 viewsGreenArmy75

Greetings from Argyle! on 15:38 - Oct 16 by gainsboroughblue

I reckon we'll both be having worries of manager being poached. It's not a feeling we've been used to since possibly Burley, but almost certainly SBR who obviously, eventually got the top job in the country.

On that subject, was it ever on the cards that Schumacher followed Lowe to Preston? Or was he always a potential manager in his own right?. Judging by a lot of Preston's results, it doesn't seem like Lowe's style is overly eyecatching and maybe Schumacher had more to do with your form than him?

Another thing I should mention, was that we've both lost ex-managers from the mid to late 80s recently. Belated condolences on the passing of Dave Smith. He was a good character and know he was well regarded at Plymouth.

Dave Smith was an absolute legend and lived in the area during his retirement. He would have taken us to Div 1 in the 80s if his home town team (Dundee) hadn’t come calling.

Lowe was just the figure head and it was all about him and was starting to irritate the fans and players. Having a low key, almost shy, manager like Schuy who is obsessive over tactics is far more suited to Argyle. Thus, coupled with Dewsnip who knows every youngster in the country from his World Cup games is making the future bright for us.

We know to enjoy it while it lasts as we will be back to losing 5-1 away to Cheltenham again before we know it!
Greetings from Argyle! on 16:03 - Oct 16 with 1982 viewslordsambuca

Thanks for the positive and constructive post.

Like others I hope you are top 2 with us and definitely best team we have played. I am not so sure you will fade there are advantages to a tight knit smaller squad with a clearly defined style of play with an intelligent manager.

Good luck!
Greetings from Argyle! on 17:36 - Oct 16 with 1789 viewsketton_itfc

Argyle my 2nd team and I'm really pleased how well we've both started. I think you under play your chances, bias aside I've not seen a better team all season. If you can keep injury free you can go all the way no doubt in my mind. Navigating Nov - Mar will be key on the hard pitches. And of course keeping Schumacher!
Looking forward to seeing Camara in a Town shirt and hopefully I'll be celebrating a double promotion come May. All the best!
Greetings from Argyle! on 09:13 - Oct 17 with 1267 viewsCityBlue

I believe a number of other reasons are at play, firstly that teams do not give Argyle the respect they deserve and therefore play a bit more adventurous - and come off worse for it. We have faced endless teams at Portman Road who come to stifle, obstruct and hope to score on the break. It means we can at times grind out 80 minutes to hope to get a goal and as Saturday showed, once we go behind we are literally trying to break through the bus they park in front of goal.

I T I D

Greetings from Argyle! on 09:22 - Oct 17 with 1248 viewsDyland

Greetings from Argyle! on 13:39 - Oct 16 by gainsboroughblue

This is what a visiting fan to the forum should be.

All the best for this season. Hopefully a Town/Plymouth 1 and 2.

It's what the great P. Mariner would have wanted.

It's a good egg of a club, is Argyle. I worked with a fanatical Pilgrim a while ago and they seem to have a decent proportion of knowledgeable and likeable fans.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Greetings from Argyle! on 09:29 - Oct 17 with 1215 viewsDyland

Greetings from Argyle! on 15:53 - Oct 16 by GreenArmy75

Dave Smith was an absolute legend and lived in the area during his retirement. He would have taken us to Div 1 in the 80s if his home town team (Dundee) hadn’t come calling.

Lowe was just the figure head and it was all about him and was starting to irritate the fans and players. Having a low key, almost shy, manager like Schuy who is obsessive over tactics is far more suited to Argyle. Thus, coupled with Dewsnip who knows every youngster in the country from his World Cup games is making the future bright for us.

We know to enjoy it while it lasts as we will be back to losing 5-1 away to Cheltenham again before we know it!

Classic case of expecting the worst and being pleased if yer proved wrong there Greeners? The season is long enough in to feel very confident if you're a Pilgrim, imo. You'll need a little luck on the injury front for sure though.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Greetings from Argyle! on 09:41 - Oct 17 with 1161 viewsclive_baker

Greetings from Argyle! on 09:22 - Oct 17 by Dyland

It's a good egg of a club, is Argyle. I worked with a fanatical Pilgrim a while ago and they seem to have a decent proportion of knowledgeable and likeable fans.

Can't say I have had a lot of interaction with Plymouth fans but there was one memorable occasion where I was sat at a garage in Brixton waiting for my car to have an MOT one Saturday morning some years back. It was run by some brilliant Jamaican lads from a unit under the railway arches, as cliche as it sounds all you could smell was burning rubber and pot. An old boy sat next to me, they were taking a look at his battered up Range Rover, one of those that looks like it's earned its retirement, covered in mud. Not the sort you tend to see around London as it had clearly seen countryside. You know when you can just tell someone isn't a local, he was about 80, Caucasian, and dressed like a farmer. I noticed the Plymouth Argyle sticker in his back window and got chatting to him about football. Lovely old boy, said he was up visiting his son and daughter in law in London and car had broke down, so was hoping these lads could fix it. Sat chatting for a good while, both got our cars sorted and wished each other well on our way. Not sure why I've always remembered that encounter but you know when you just meet someone who you click with, despite him being probably 55 years my senior at the time.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Greetings from Argyle! on 09:57 - Oct 17 with 1110 viewsitfc_bucks

Greetings from Argyle! on 10:04 - Oct 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

They are definitely the best team we have played however check out the highlights from MK yesterday. Christmas came early!
https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12721415/milton-keynes-don

Why don't teams gift us goals like that?!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024