Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bit of a dilemma… 18:50 - Oct 27 with 6310 viewsHciwspi

My lad has been training with ITFC since the U7 age group and he’s now in the U9s so progressing quite nicely. He also trains and plays on a Saturday for Kesgrave Kestrels.

At his last game there was a scout from a club in Norfolk and today I had an email inviting him to their Advance Player Development centre. Which is a lovely compliment. Now we’ve got all the Norwich jokes and mock vomiting out of our systems we need to give this some thought.

Speak to ITFC and see if they’ll offer him a place in their equivalent centres? (He’s in the elite player development centre at the moment)
Do all three (after an initial two session trial?)
Tell them to stick it and hope that he scores a hat trick against them in the future!! 😀

Just thought I’d see what the TWTD collective would do. At the moment it’s all fun but I have the feeling things might get a little more
Serious if he takes this next step.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2022 18:53]
Bit of a dilemma… on 18:56 - Oct 27 with 4386 viewsBarcaBlue

Under 9s? Let him stay with his mates and enjoy himself and his football.
Bit of a dilemma… on 18:59 - Oct 27 with 4356 viewsSwansea_Blue

It’s obviously fine for fans to have the rivalry, but I’d suggest that goes out of the window for something like this. Well worth talking to our side to find out how they see his future, and then balance that against your gut feeling for what’s best to develop him (and what he likes too; it’s easier to give your all when you’re happy). Not an easy decision for sure and it’d be well worth speaking to parents of other boy(s) in Norwich if you can. And to coaches in general - if it’s anything like down here, decent coaches will be well aware of the pros and cons of each club.

Good luck!
[Post edited 27 Oct 2022 19:28]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bit of a dilemma… on 18:59 - Oct 27 with 4348 viewsle2blue

Take him along to the Norwich development centre, more experiences will only be good for him. Make sure Ipswich know that he's also participating in their programme, so they know he's demand. Then do a Terry Butcher and tell Norwich to Foxtrot Oscar.
Bit of a dilemma… on 19:01 - Oct 27 with 4336 viewsITFC_Blood

Norwich policy is to mind sweep all and see if they come good

Stay at town

The kid is 9 let him enjoy it.

Without sounding harsh he is 9 so a long way to go , let him just enjoy himself

Poll: Do you want Jewell sacked?
Blog: [Blog] Different Season, Same Problems

Bit of a dilemma… on 19:11 - Oct 27 with 4220 viewsNthQldITFC

I think it quite likely that of the two, this will be the club to be a developing player at over the next five or six years. Two years ago, you wouldn't have said the same thing. But it's a gamble either way I guess.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Bit of a dilemma… on 19:17 - Oct 27 with 4199 viewsBigCommon

"Progressing quite nicely", you say?

Think you've answered your own question right there.
Bit of a dilemma… on 19:21 - Oct 27 with 4157 viewsFixed_It

He's in the U9s. That is a million miles from making it, and he us making good progress. Keep it fun, keep him with his mates, and the rest will take care of itself.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Bit of a dilemma… on 19:24 - Oct 27 with 4137 viewsIllinoisblue

Bit of a dilemma… on 18:56 - Oct 27 by BarcaBlue

All of this. It’s insane clubs recruit this early. I get they want to snatch up the best kids in the area in the hope that one or two will make it. But at what cost? Let kids be kids. If they’re good enough they’ll get spotted when they’re teenagers

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Bit of a dilemma… on 19:25 - Oct 27 with 4121 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Are these feeder groups rather than the academy itself?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Bit of a dilemma… on 19:36 - Oct 27 with 4029 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Bit of a dilemma… on 18:59 - Oct 27 by Swansea_Blue

It’s obviously fine for fans to have the rivalry, but I’d suggest that goes out of the window for something like this. Well worth talking to our side to find out how they see his future, and then balance that against your gut feeling for what’s best to develop him (and what he likes too; it’s easier to give your all when you’re happy). Not an easy decision for sure and it’d be well worth speaking to parents of other boy(s) in Norwich if you can. And to coaches in general - if it’s anything like down here, decent coaches will be well aware of the pros and cons of each club.

Good luck!
[Post edited 27 Oct 2022 19:28]

If its player development centres and not the academy, I doubt ITFC will have a strong view on the individuals.

I wouldn't think they are monitored as closely.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Bit of a dilemma… on 19:49 - Oct 27 with 3931 viewsxrayspecs

I agree with others about leaving him at Town. At that age group, there is little between the set ups, if anything.

If he is good enough, lucky with injuries and committed, he may at some stage have choices but not for many years.
Bit of a dilemma… on 19:49 - Oct 27 with 3935 viewsHciwspi

Bit of a dilemma… on 19:25 - Oct 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

Are these feeder groups rather than the academy itself?

Yep. Player pathway to the academy (hopefully)

All I ever say to him is listen to his coaches and have fun. And he’s happy as he is at the moment so I am reluctant to change things atm

But, it can’t do any harm to attend the two trial sessions?
[Post edited 27 Oct 2022 19:51]
Bit of a dilemma… on 19:51 - Oct 27 with 3896 viewsjontysnut

Bit of a dilemma… on 19:24 - Oct 27 by Illinoisblue

All of this. It’s insane clubs recruit this early. I get they want to snatch up the best kids in the area in the hope that one or two will make it. But at what cost? Let kids be kids. If they’re good enough they’ll get spotted when they’re teenagers

Does he play for his own club as well? I imagine clubs will have people out and about watching - best let him enjoy things at his age. I don't think switching will make much difference at the moment.
Bit of a dilemma… on 20:05 - Oct 27 with 3817 viewsitfcjoe

Bit of a dilemma… on 19:49 - Oct 27 by Hciwspi

All I ever say to him is listen to his coaches and have fun. And he’s happy as he is at the moment so I am reluctant to change things atm

If he loves his football then definitely take him along to Norwich and see how he finds that - you and him will soon get a feel for where is best for him to progress and have fun and as a parent can’t worry about the badge on his chest for that

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Bit of a dilemma… on 20:12 - Oct 27 with 3738 viewsjas0999

This has nothing to do with Town or Norwich.

It’s all about your lad and where he is happy. At this age it’s about enjoying the football!
Bit of a dilemma… on 20:21 - Oct 27 with 3686 viewsBluebell

Do you live in Ipswich?

I would worry that travelling to Norwich all the time is a lot to expect a 9 year old to do. How often do they train? It seems a lot of pressure at such a young age.

Have you asked him what he wants to do? He may want to stay with his mates. His happiness has to be more important.
Bit of a dilemma… on 20:23 - Oct 27 with 3663 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Maybe this is why I'm not a parent, but I'd (politely) tell them to stick it. Sounds like he's doing well, no need to rock the boat if he's enjoying himself. More than that though, I could never forgive myself for allowing my child to dress like that.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Bit of a dilemma… on 20:24 - Oct 27 with 3661 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Bit of a dilemma… on 19:49 - Oct 27 by Hciwspi

Ask your son what he wants to do.

Don't try to drive it.

At that level, if he is enjoying Ipswich, stick with it.

These development groups have so many kids in.

Bit of a dilemma… on 20:31 - Oct 27 with 3589 viewsHciwspi

@bluebell Yes, we live in Ipswich. But this is the annoying bit, the sessions are at Ipswich Academy which is 5 mins drive from where we live!

I think we’ll probably go to the trials and get what we can from them and then politely tell them no whilst (hopefully) leaving the door ajar.
Bit of a dilemma… on 20:35 - Oct 27 with 3549 viewsxrayspecs

Bit of a dilemma… on 20:31 - Oct 27 by Hciwspi

@bluebell Yes, we live in Ipswich. But this is the annoying bit, the sessions are at Ipswich Academy which is 5 mins drive from where we live!

I think we’ll probably go to the trials and get what we can from them and then politely tell them no whilst (hopefully) leaving the door ajar.

Mention it to the man Ashton. He will have them closed down tomorrow.
Bit of a dilemma… on 20:52 - Oct 27 with 3461 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Bit of a dilemma… on 20:31 - Oct 27 by Hciwspi

If its a trial for a development squad, don't over think it.

Ask your lad if he wants to attend the trial. Then if he gets an invite you can address the question of whether he wants to move.

The questions seem premature at the moment.

As a coach of U9s, I see a lot of parents trying to drive their kids 'career'. Keep it fun above all else.

Bit of a dilemma… on 21:01 - Oct 27 with 3355 viewsxrayspecs

Bit of a dilemma… on 20:52 - Oct 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

Ask your lad if he wants to attend the trial. Then if he gets an invite you can address the question of whether he wants to move.

As a coach of U9s, I see a lot of parents trying to drive their kids 'career'. Keep it fun above all else.

And understand, that success at a pro club, is one player from each age group progressing to the first team.

It is a numbers game and the odds are stacked against you, sorry, so enjoy the experience as very very few go on to earn a living from playing.
Bit of a dilemma… on 21:21 - Oct 27 with 3234 viewsPendejo

Go for it.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Bit of a dilemma… on 21:24 - Oct 27 with 3225 viewsHciwspi

Bit of a dilemma… on 20:52 - Oct 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

Yep, I want him to have fun more than anything else. That’s the most important thing for me, is that he enjoys his football. Which he does. He loves playing and loves coming to watch ITFC at Portman Road.
Bit of a dilemma… on 21:28 - Oct 27 with 3192 viewsdirtyboy

Bit of a dilemma… on 18:56 - Oct 27 by BarcaBlue

Unequivocally what he wants to do.

No disrespect but he’s not likely to make it pro, so enjoy the ride and also enjoy being a family and convenience of keeping you all together
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024