Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website 12:14 - Jan 9 with 3331 viewsdominiciawful

It was nice to see our highlights synced up with Brenner once more. Whatever people think of him, it’s not the same watching the goals back after games without his voice.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 12:16 - Jan 9 with 2849 viewsSitfcB

Enjoyed the FA Cup highlights show with all of the local radio station commentary.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 12:17 - Jan 9 with 2845 viewsLankHenners

People moaning about him don't know what they've got. He's absolutely streets ahead of a lot of commentators on local radio etc. across the country (including our current iFollow set-up).

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 12:19 - Jan 9 with 2822 viewshomer_123

I've never got why people are so down on Brenner.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 12:28 - Jan 9 with 2777 viewsDJR

I've mentioned this before, but there have been a few occasions this season when the Radio Suffolk commentary has been available online when it shouldn't be. And I've managed to sync Brenner's commentary with the sound on the I-follow video coverage turned off.

Quite apart from anything else, there is also the excellent Graham Mac at half-time and after the game.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2023 12:29]
Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 12:30 - Jan 9 with 2755 viewsBlueBadger

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 12:17 - Jan 9 by LankHenners

People moaning about him don't know what they've got. He's absolutely streets ahead of a lot of commentators on local radio etc. across the country (including our current iFollow set-up).

If the World Cupis any evidence, he's far better than a lot of national broadcasters as well.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 12:32 - Jan 9 with 2742 viewsStrimmer

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 12:19 - Jan 9 by homer_123

I've never got why people are so down on Brenner.

Its literally because when we concede he doesn't always say 'ipswich conceded, which is bad'. Sad really!

Poll: Was it a punch?

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 12:36 - Jan 9 with 2659 viewsSitfcB

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 12:28 - Jan 9 by DJR

I've mentioned this before, but there have been a few occasions this season when the Radio Suffolk commentary has been available online when it shouldn't be. And I've managed to sync Brenner's commentary with the sound on the I-follow video coverage turned off.

Quite apart from anything else, there is also the excellent Graham Mac at half-time and after the game.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2023 12:29]

Graham Mac is good, feel he should get a ‘bigger’ job at say Five Live or something.

COYB

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 12:42 - Jan 9 with 2608 viewsSamWhiteUK

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 12:32 - Jan 9 by Strimmer

Its literally because when we concede he doesn't always say 'ipswich conceded, which is bad'. Sad really!

It's exactly this. People seem to be unable to tell the difference between enthusiasm and despair.
Login to get fewer ads

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 12:53 - Jan 9 with 2544 viewsIllinoisblue

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 12:17 - Jan 9 by LankHenners

The IFollow guy has had a decent debut season but might benefit from a regular partner alongside him. Westlake would be the obvious choice.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 12:59 - Jan 9 with 2475 viewsonly_one_sir_bobby

I, for one, don't miss Brenner at all. I'm one of those that find his "delight" when an opposition team score, or even simply when they're on the attack, annoying. The fact that multiple people don't like him for it, proves that he must be doing it to some extent.

I never wanted him to be as one-sided as those dreadful Lincoln commentators, and he does make an excellent impartial commentator, but when he is a local commentator, that impartiality, for me, goes too far and it rubs me (and many others) the wrong way.

I also feel that Glenn on iFollow, is doing an excellent job, and I find the insights of the variety of co-commentators (particularly when current players) they have joining him, more interesting that Mick Mills (even if he is a true legend of the club).
Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 13:03 - Jan 9 with 2436 viewsLankHenners

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 12:53 - Jan 9 by Illinoisblue

The IFollow guy has had a decent debut season but might benefit from a regular partner alongside him. Westlake would be the obvious choice.

Have to say I'm not a fan (although agree Westlake does a good co-comm job). Doesn't have the depth or range of voice for me and the delivery feels a bit forced and rehearsed. Plus there tends to be a bit too much over-positive, pro-Town stuff (describing our 'glorious football' while we pass side-to-side struggling to get through an opposition defence for example) which grates a bit. I get he's probably being told to present in a certain way from the club and has a 'product' to sell so to speak but I just can't get used to it.

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 13:04 - Jan 9 with 2418 viewsbrazil1982

Living outside of Suffolk, it's matches like these that I love to tune into. Reminds me of the homeland that little bit. The coverage from Radio Suffolk is excellent compared to other local stations plus we have the benefit of being the only professional club in the county. You can imagine what BBC Lancs is like on match days!
Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 13:14 - Jan 9 with 2343 viewsIllinoisblue

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 13:03 - Jan 9 by LankHenners

Have to say I'm not a fan (although agree Westlake does a good co-comm job). Doesn't have the depth or range of voice for me and the delivery feels a bit forced and rehearsed. Plus there tends to be a bit too much over-positive, pro-Town stuff (describing our 'glorious football' while we pass side-to-side struggling to get through an opposition defence for example) which grates a bit. I get he's probably being told to present in a certain way from the club and has a 'product' to sell so to speak but I just can't get used to it.

That is a fair point; some of it feels a bit forced and sometimes it sounds like he’s reeling off stats for the sake of it. In footballing parlance, almost as if he’s trying too hard at times. But not terrible.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 13:17 - Jan 9 with 2321 viewsWeirdFishes

Couldn’t agree more.

Hugely grateful for everything gamechanger have done so far, but ditching Brenner on the comms and Rob Chandler do make things feel different.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 13:20 - Jan 9 with 2300 viewsDJR

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 13:04 - Jan 9 by brazil1982

Living outside of Suffolk, it's matches like these that I love to tune into. Reminds me of the homeland that little bit. The coverage from Radio Suffolk is excellent compared to other local stations plus we have the benefit of being the only professional club in the county. You can imagine what BBC Lancs is like on match days!

As someone who lives outside Suffolk that is true for me too.

At the time when only audio was available, I have fond memories of tuning in to the Radio Suffolk commentary on a Saturday , and then discussing with my dad on a Sunday how Ipswich had got on, long after we had both moved away.

Sadly my dad is no longer with us, but Mick Mills in particular takes me back to my childhood.
Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 13:30 - Jan 9 with 2239 viewsLankHenners

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 13:14 - Jan 9 by Illinoisblue

That is a fair point; some of it feels a bit forced and sometimes it sounds like he’s reeling off stats for the sake of it. In footballing parlance, almost as if he’s trying too hard at times. But not terrible.

Yeah just sounds like he has a list of overused derivative football cliches and is determined to use them at every opportunity, doesn't come across very 'natural'.

In fairness though I think if I listened to it every (other) week rather than every now and then I'd get used to it.

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 13:31 - Jan 9 with 2221 viewsGeoffSentence

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 12:30 - Jan 9 by BlueBadger

If the World Cupis any evidence, he's far better than a lot of national broadcasters as well.

To be honest, he is wasted at local level, he really should be commentating at national level.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 14:43 - Jan 9 with 2023 viewsGarv

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 13:17 - Jan 9 by WeirdFishes

Couldn’t agree more.

Hugely grateful for everything gamechanger have done so far, but ditching Brenner on the comms and Rob Chandler do make things feel different.

Someone can correct me if needed but Chandler quit so he could watch games as a fan again. He wasn't ditched.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 14:48 - Jan 9 with 1988 viewsitfcjoe

I've got nothing against the iFollow commentary teams and they are fine when watching a game, but they can't put anything together over a highlights package that is a patch on what Brennar does

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 14:51 - Jan 9 with 1950 viewsPhilTWTD

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 14:43 - Jan 9 by Garv

Someone can correct me if needed but Chandler quit so he could watch games as a fan again. He wasn't ditched.

He was ditched or rather wasn't called back after taking the Covid season off, although he had been thinking about it.

PA Man Chandler Hangs Up Mic 9th Jun 2021 13:05
Town’s long-serving PA man Rob Chandler has revealed he will not be behind the Portman Road microphone next season and instead will be joining the ranks of the Blues' season ticket holders. 31

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 14:55 - Jan 9 with 1910 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Not a fan of the new I follow guy. Too cringe.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 15:24 - Jan 9 with 1788 viewsDJR

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 14:55 - Jan 9 by TRUE_BLUE123

Not a fan of the new I follow guy. Too cringe.

I agree.

Anyone remember Peter Barraclough on Radio Orwell who covered Ipswich in the late 70s and I think was replaced by Peter Slater?

I came across the following link for an away game to Liverpool in 1977. Interesting to note they had a reporter at the home reserve game as well, as I remember going to first team and reserve games on alternate Saturdays in the early 70s, and from what I can recall there used to be a crowd of a thousand or so for reserve games, with an even bigger crowd for Norwich.

https://soundcloud.com/user-794063351-664260985/saturday-sports-special-30-april

EDIT: In the studio was Tim Ewart who went on to ITN.

https://tvnewsroom.co.uk/biography-images/tim-ewart-3357/
[Post edited 9 Jan 2023 15:48]
Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 15:43 - Jan 9 with 1735 viewsSitfcB

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 14:51 - Jan 9 by PhilTWTD

He was ditched or rather wasn't called back after taking the Covid season off, although he had been thinking about it.

PA Man Chandler Hangs Up Mic 9th Jun 2021 13:05
Town’s long-serving PA man Rob Chandler has revealed he will not be behind the Portman Road microphone next season and instead will be joining the ranks of the Blues' season ticket holders. 31

The club need to do everything they can to get him back imo.

COYB

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 23:27 - Jan 9 with 1488 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 12:59 - Jan 9 by only_one_sir_bobby

I, for one, don't miss Brenner at all. I'm one of those that find his "delight" when an opposition team score, or even simply when they're on the attack, annoying. The fact that multiple people don't like him for it, proves that he must be doing it to some extent.

I never wanted him to be as one-sided as those dreadful Lincoln commentators, and he does make an excellent impartial commentator, but when he is a local commentator, that impartiality, for me, goes too far and it rubs me (and many others) the wrong way.

I also feel that Glenn on iFollow, is doing an excellent job, and I find the insights of the variety of co-commentators (particularly when current players) they have joining him, more interesting that Mick Mills (even if he is a true legend of the club).

No it proves that a lot of people are big girl's blouses who can't handle it when Ipswich concede and need to blame someone so it hides their salty tears. Unbunch your knickers you fecking wet wipe.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 11:34 - Jan 10 with 1307 viewsSamWhiteUK

Town-Rotherham highlights on the BBC website on 12:59 - Jan 9 by only_one_sir_bobby

You're a fool. Brennar doesn't express delight in either of those situations, the intensity level goes up when something important happens in the game. That's all.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024