Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What formation do we play? 15:05 - Jan 26 with 1539 viewstheipswichman

Was having a bit of a debate the other day on this. I thought it was 4231 of late but I’ve been told I’m wrong and we play 5221. Just wondering what others think? Perhaps it varies throughout the game depending on defence vs attack?
What formation do we play? on 15:08 - Jan 26 with 1512 viewsSheffordBlue

Think McKenna has said a few times that he talks to the players about roles and responsibilities in and out of possession rather than formations. I think it's one of those things that we fans obsess over more than he does!

I think it often changes in and out of possesion

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

What formation do we play? on 15:09 - Jan 26 with 1495 viewsKieran_Knows

It's a hybrid of 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-2-1.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

What formation do we play? on 15:12 - Jan 26 with 1482 viewsitfcsuth

I think McKenna once said it wasn't really about formation but spaces on the pitch for individual players given the game circumstance.

Our threat has notoriously been with Burns, and he plays that hybrid role of a wingback and a winger all in one, and to ensure he isn't exposed he has Donacien or Clarke behind him in that RCB/RB role.

Two pocket players are certainly in there as well behind the number 9.

It is a hybrid formation between a 3-4-2-1 & 4-2-3-1. It seems to be fluid depending on the current game circumstance, presume it has something to do with the transitions.

If anybody watches Bayern under Julian Nagelsmann they almost play the identical system.
What formation do we play? on 16:47 - Jan 26 with 1275 viewstheipswichman

What formation do we play? on 15:12 - Jan 26 by itfcsuth

I think McKenna once said it wasn't really about formation but spaces on the pitch for individual players given the game circumstance.

Our threat has notoriously been with Burns, and he plays that hybrid role of a wingback and a winger all in one, and to ensure he isn't exposed he has Donacien or Clarke behind him in that RCB/RB role.

Two pocket players are certainly in there as well behind the number 9.

It is a hybrid formation between a 3-4-2-1 & 4-2-3-1. It seems to be fluid depending on the current game circumstance, presume it has something to do with the transitions.

If anybody watches Bayern under Julian Nagelsmann they almost play the identical system.

Makes a lot of sense. The thing that always got me was the difference in roles between burgess and donacien. It’s strange because Davis seems a little more isolated on that side but it works. I guess technically there’s no right answer to this debate then. I’d imagine it’s hard for the opposition to defend against if they have no idea what we’re playing!
What formation do we play? on 17:29 - Jan 26 with 1188 viewsxrayspecs

We do not, as other have said on this thread.

Interestingly, Chestefield under Paul Cook have been playing 4-4-2 this season, so looks like his pre-occupation with 4-2-3-1 set up has waned.
What formation do we play? on 17:35 - Jan 26 with 1166 viewsDubtractor

What formation do we play? on 15:09 - Jan 26 by Kieran_Knows

It's a hybrid of 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-2-1.

This - varies between the 2 within games, pretty fluidly.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

What formation do we play? on 17:37 - Jan 26 with 1160 viewsMullet

What formation do we play? on 17:35 - Jan 26 by Dubtractor

This - varies between the 2 within games, pretty fluidly.

It's 442 for w@nkers innit

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

What formation do we play? on 12:10 - Jan 27 with 874 viewsCityBlue

vs Morecambe it was a clear 4231

Other games have seen us play with 3421 where the wingbacks from the 4 drop into the back line on a rotate depending upon which side is being attacked to make it a 4 man back line. It can also flex to a 5221 in defensive mode but lacks any breadth across the middle of the park and hence long balls in to the box have been frequent.

I T I D

Login to get fewer ads

What formation do we play? on 12:16 - Jan 27 with 842 viewsWubbleU

What formation do we play? on 12:10 - Jan 27 by CityBlue

vs Morecambe it was a clear 4231

Other games have seen us play with 3421 where the wingbacks from the 4 drop into the back line on a rotate depending upon which side is being attacked to make it a 4 man back line. It can also flex to a 5221 in defensive mode but lacks any breadth across the middle of the park and hence long balls in to the box have been frequent.

It was clear on Tuesday. I think the fact it hasn't been clear for a long time now might have been the problem.

Looked like a well balanced set up, with two full backs pushing up both sides.

Time will tell if that balance makes the difference in tight games.
What formation do we play? on 12:21 - Jan 27 with 834 viewsGeoffSentence

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024