Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? 12:40 - May 5 with 2509 viewsClapham_Junction

The Greens needed to gain six seats to have a majority on the council, and with 12 of the 34 seats declared, have already gained four. Quite something for one of the most rural districts in East Anglia. I wonder if Babergh will slip from the Tories' grasp too.

(Brighton was run by the Greens but they didn't have a majority of seats)

Another thing I noticed was that a lot of the Tory candidates ran as "Local Conservatives" rather than "Conservative and Unionist Party". Trying to distance themselves from the shambolic national government?
Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 12:43 - May 5 with 2453 viewsGeoffSentence

The latter point is incredibly disingenuous from the Conservatives, especially when you consider that it was the local conservative parties who foisted Liz Truss and her campaign of destruction upon the country.

As for Mid-Suffolk Greens they are doing remarkably well, I can't think of anything in particular that would swing people to Green in that part of the world, unlike in ALdburgh and Leiston where greens have been voted in on the back Sizewell C.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 14:04 - May 5 with 2309 viewsScotBlue

I just hope for your sake they are better than the Greens who are power sharing with the SNP up here and making a complete A**E of everything
Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 14:24 - May 5 with 2275 viewsMookamoo

I'm in one of the safe Green seat in Mid Suffolk. They've clearly been throwing a lot of people and resources at this area.

Article in the Guardian here:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/may/02/greens-hoping-ultra-local-focus
Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 14:38 - May 5 with 2251 viewsNthQldITFC

According to the East Anglian, East Suffolk is currently at:

Greens 12
T*ries 10
Lib Dem 5
Labour 3

Could we be on the verge of multiple Green councils in Suffolk? Fantastic news if true.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 14:42 - May 5 with 2241 viewsMookamoo

Mid Suffolk Greens now only need 2 seats with 11 still to declare.
Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 14:50 - May 5 with 2218 viewsNthQldITFC

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 14:42 - May 5 by Mookamoo

1 required now

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 14:51 - May 5 with 2218 viewsClapham_Junction

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 14:42 - May 5 by Mookamoo

They've made six gains now, so just have to avoid any losses.
Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 14:58 - May 5 with 2184 viewsbournemouthblue

Quite exciting for the political landscapes in Rural Suffolk, it shows the Tories in safe seats, aren't quite as safe as they may think

The more middle class socially conscious Tories are prepared to vote Green, that's a sea change really

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Login to get fewer ads

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 15:01 - May 5 with 2173 viewstractordownsouth

At a local level, the Greens are much better off focussing on winning over Tory areas than Labour ones. With Labour doing well nationally it’s harder to take them on and a lot of Green policies (such as opposition to house building and HS2) are much more likely to benefit pro-Tory demographics anyway.

It’s probably quite advantageous for them to go after the government for the pollution in the rivers too because that’s a rare example of almost everybody agreeing on an issue.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 15:16 - May 5 with 2120 viewsNthQldITFC

Anyone got a reliable live results link?

I'm looking at the BBC pages, which seem to be lagging the EADTs blog entries, but the EADT doesn't have a live overview page (unsurprisingly).

Edit, just as I posted that, from EADT blog:

3:12pm

The running total of seats in East Suffolk:

Tories 11, Greens 12, Lib Dems 7, Lab 5
[Post edited 5 May 2023 15:17]

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 15:37 - May 5 with 2075 viewsNthQldITFC

EADT:
3:28pm
Greens have done it! Ross Piper wins one of two seats (alongside Lib Dem's Terry Lawrence) in Needham Market (Mid Suffolk).
Greens now have majority in Mid Suffolk District Council - the first authority in the UK to go out and out Green.

It might only be a local council, but its still bloody good news.

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 15:40 - May 5 with 2062 viewsbelgablue

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 14:38 - May 5 by NthQldITFC

According to the East Anglian, East Suffolk is currently at:

Greens 12
T*ries 10
Lib Dem 5
Labour 3

Could we be on the verge of multiple Green councils in Suffolk? Fantastic news if true.

Would be nice if Therese Coffey lost her seat. Even if it has to be a Tory, surely there is better than her.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 15:51 - May 5 with 2023 viewsMookamoo

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 15:37 - May 5 by NthQldITFC

EADT:
3:28pm
Greens have done it! Ross Piper wins one of two seats (alongside Lib Dem's Terry Lawrence) in Needham Market (Mid Suffolk).
Greens now have majority in Mid Suffolk District Council - the first authority in the UK to go out and out Green.

It might only be a local council, but its still bloody good news.

Will be interesting to see what actually changes around here.

I know it's a cliche, but the pot holes are ridiculous. I'm having to take our car to have a spring replaced having driven it down a ravine last week. A lot of people are buying larger thirsty 4x4s because the roads are terrible. Public transport is a joke. You can get a bus at 8 in the morning or 2pm and the one only back from Ipswich is 5pm

There are a few solar farms mooted which are pretty divisive. That is going to get tasty.
Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 16:19 - May 5 with 1960 viewsiamatractorboy

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 15:51 - May 5 by Mookamoo

Will be interesting to see what actually changes around here.

I know it's a cliche, but the pot holes are ridiculous. I'm having to take our car to have a spring replaced having driven it down a ravine last week. A lot of people are buying larger thirsty 4x4s because the roads are terrible. Public transport is a joke. You can get a bus at 8 in the morning or 2pm and the one only back from Ipswich is 5pm

There are a few solar farms mooted which are pretty divisive. That is going to get tasty.

Pot holes aren't the responsibility of the district, that'll be County, and the Government's death by a thousand cuts to council funding has likely had a big impact on spend in areas such as that over the past 13 years, so I doubt there will be any change anytime soon!
Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 16:43 - May 5 with 1874 viewsClapham_Junction

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 15:16 - May 5 by NthQldITFC

Anyone got a reliable live results link?

I'm looking at the BBC pages, which seem to be lagging the EADTs blog entries, but the EADT doesn't have a live overview page (unsurprisingly).

Edit, just as I posted that, from EADT blog:

3:12pm

The running total of seats in East Suffolk:

Tories 11, Greens 12, Lib Dems 7, Lab 5
[Post edited 5 May 2023 15:17]

From the council's Twitter feed, I think it's now:
- Greens 15
- Labour 12
- Tories 12
- Lib Dems 10

Six seats not yet declared, but the Tories have lost control unless one of the other parties makes some mind-bending decision to go into coalition with them.

Composition at the last election was
- Tories 39
- Labour 7
- Greens 4
- Lib Dems 3
- Independents 2

Quite an incredible turnaround. I got the impression that merging Suffolk Coastal and Waveney into one district was effectively a gerrymandering effort - the Tories were worried Waveney could eventually go back to Labour control, so merging them meant they would always have a solid Tory majority.

Sadly West Suffolk looks like it is still in Tory hands. Babergh is still up in the air and possibly dependent on which way the independents swing.

Edit - looks like the Greens could be the largest party on three of the five districts in the county, with Labour still dominant in Ipswich. Gives some hope for the next general election.
[Post edited 5 May 2023 16:45]
Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 16:46 - May 5 with 1868 viewsmanagement

I wish the people of Mid Suffolk good luck, having the dubious privilege of The Greens here on the South Coast has been abject, the only time in living memory when all Lab/Tories/Libs and Independents agreed on one subject is the dreadful management/ineptness of the greens and their propensity to blame everything bar themselves. (Recycling and general waste collection, the 360 tower, the cycle lanes, appalling public transport infrastructure, council tax, etc, etc)
Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 16:53 - May 5 with 1852 viewsMookamoo

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 16:46 - May 5 by management

I wish the people of Mid Suffolk good luck, having the dubious privilege of The Greens here on the South Coast has been abject, the only time in living memory when all Lab/Tories/Libs and Independents agreed on one subject is the dreadful management/ineptness of the greens and their propensity to blame everything bar themselves. (Recycling and general waste collection, the 360 tower, the cycle lanes, appalling public transport infrastructure, council tax, etc, etc)

I suspect the same here. Our councillor is a nice enough bloke but what dealings I have had with him have been patchy. Lets just say there is a big gap between his intentions and outcomes.
Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 17:23 - May 5 with 1793 viewspositivity

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 16:46 - May 5 by management

which council do they have a majority on the south coast? i thought mid suffolk was the first

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 17:42 - May 5 with 1774 viewsbluelagos

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 17:23 - May 5 by positivity

which council do they have a majority on the south coast? i thought mid suffolk was the first

Brighton had a minority green run council for the past few years.

They just got proper stuffed by Labour there, so Mid Suffolk will likely be the only Green run council.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 17:49 - May 5 with 1762 viewspositivity

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 17:42 - May 5 by bluelagos

Brighton had a minority green run council for the past few years.

They just got proper stuffed by Labour there, so Mid Suffolk will likely be the only Green run council.

ta, minority run councils are often a mess.

be interesting to see how it goes in mid suffolk then.

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 17:53 - May 5 with 1737 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 12:43 - May 5 by GeoffSentence

The latter point is incredibly disingenuous from the Conservatives, especially when you consider that it was the local conservative parties who foisted Liz Truss and her campaign of destruction upon the country.

As for Mid-Suffolk Greens they are doing remarkably well, I can't think of anything in particular that would swing people to Green in that part of the world, unlike in ALdburgh and Leiston where greens have been voted in on the back Sizewell C.

The feckers all rebranded in green and dropped any party branding to try and confuse people. I’d chuck the lot of them in The Tower. Charlie would love that. GSTK.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 20:16 - May 5 with 1642 viewsScotBlue

And up here they are involved in national policy. We have issues such as the deposit return scheme which is driving local small shops out of business, local fishing rules that is the second highland clearances. I think for your sake that as local council the greens will not have as much impact as the Scottish greens at a national level
Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 21:04 - May 5 with 1541 viewsHARRY10

Mid Suffolk to become first council with a Green majority? on 16:53 - May 5 by Mookamoo

I suspect the same here. Our councillor is a nice enough bloke but what dealings I have had with him have been patchy. Lets just say there is a big gap between his intentions and outcomes.

And that is so often te case. Wooly talk of wanting a nicer world, a greener area, an other such pious guff quickly meets up with reality.

The same sort were once CND types. Who didn't mine war (Bruce Kent) they just didnt want naughty things that made a loud bang. When it was explained that if you accept war then you would have to accept that the most effective weapons would most likely be used, they became exceedingly confused.

As in Scotland they tend towards pet hobby horses that make little difference, other than causing disruption (see Brighton).

Yes, they are far away a better choice than what is all too often the case in local government, Tory corruption - but too often their ideas are ill thought out and often smack of originating from the thought "wouldn't it be nice if......"
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024