Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sciatica Sufferers Union 09:21 - May 23 with 2649 viewsartsbossbeard

Currently having a bout (first bout) but well into my 5th week now.

A lot, lot better but exercise is limited to walking and I've just about returned to cycling/spinning (with a little stiffness/pulling) but still not 100%.

Had some physio & I've got some exercises to do every other day, which I'm sure are helping, but any idea when I can expect this madness to simply go away?

TIA

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 09:32 - May 23 with 2134 viewsJ2BLUE

Mine only lasted about 10 days and I slept in recliner for 8 of those nights. The two nights I tried to go to bed left me in so much pain I didn't know what to do. Standing, sitting and laying down were all agony. The only thing that gave mild relief was walking.

I hope you fully recover soon, it's fooking awful.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 09:34 - May 23 with 2136 viewsSteve_M

The depressingly miserable answer is that it probably never goes away completely in that you'll definitely need to manage it on an ongoing basis but the symptoms will reduce over time.

A coupe of months of it really isn't too bad, that bit of stiffness is more an irritation than the sharp stabbing pain you probably started with. The worst episode I had was bad for about 18 months until the bit of the disc that was protruding onto the nerve withered away basically - fortunately the consultant was able to show me this was happening by comparing MRI scans rather than pushing me towards an injection or surgery.

I've got two weak points in my back and am just conscious of any minor irritation to either in case it leads to more problems. I've been mainly ok for four years or so now but I've got some discomfort currently so off to the physio again this afternoon.

Definitely keep up the exercises and physio but some of the recovery is just time. Hopefully in your case it's only another month or so.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 09:38 - May 23 with 2111 viewsartsbossbeard

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 09:34 - May 23 by Steve_M

The depressingly miserable answer is that it probably never goes away completely in that you'll definitely need to manage it on an ongoing basis but the symptoms will reduce over time.

A coupe of months of it really isn't too bad, that bit of stiffness is more an irritation than the sharp stabbing pain you probably started with. The worst episode I had was bad for about 18 months until the bit of the disc that was protruding onto the nerve withered away basically - fortunately the consultant was able to show me this was happening by comparing MRI scans rather than pushing me towards an injection or surgery.

I've got two weak points in my back and am just conscious of any minor irritation to either in case it leads to more problems. I've been mainly ok for four years or so now but I've got some discomfort currently so off to the physio again this afternoon.

Definitely keep up the exercises and physio but some of the recovery is just time. Hopefully in your case it's only another month or so.

Ta!

T'internet suggests 2-3 months (J2 got away lightly with 10 days then), so I'll keep up with the exercises/stretches. It's just difficult to envisage the end of it all, if that makes sense.

Good luck this afternoon - hope all goes well.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 09:38 - May 23 with 2103 viewssolemio

Great sympathy, fellah.

I saw the years of agony my father had with bouts of sciatica. Hope yours proves not to be like that.
Sciatica Sufferers Union on 10:03 - May 23 with 2043 viewsRyorry

What Steve_M says, basically.

Had it for 50 years! But the good news is that you do learn how to manage it in the best way individual to yourself - avoidance of what triggers it (and recovery if necessary).

Biggest triggers for me are bending down, and sitting too long.

Two things I find helpful in recovery - a pillow under the knees when lying down; and playing alternate hot and cold on the originating site of the problem in your back in the shower (finish off with warm). Increases circulation which promotes healing.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 10:11 - May 23 with 2016 viewsartsbossbeard

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 10:03 - May 23 by Ryorry

What Steve_M says, basically.

Had it for 50 years! But the good news is that you do learn how to manage it in the best way individual to yourself - avoidance of what triggers it (and recovery if necessary).

Biggest triggers for me are bending down, and sitting too long.

Two things I find helpful in recovery - a pillow under the knees when lying down; and playing alternate hot and cold on the originating site of the problem in your back in the shower (finish off with warm). Increases circulation which promotes healing.

Super - that's noted!

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 10:14 - May 23 with 2001 viewsDaninthecampo

When I had a bulging disc the sciatica lasted for about 9 weeks.
I still have to manage it with stretches/ exercises, I've found specific piriformis stretches and using a foam roller works best for me
Sciatica Sufferers Union on 10:18 - May 23 with 1999 viewsGlasgowBlue

I suffered terribly about ten years ago. An MMR showed it was caused by a bulge on one of my spinal disks. I was told that I would be able to run again .

At its worse, I couldn’t sit down for more than a couple of minutes and would get excruciating pain when getting out of the car. At one stage I was on the sofa and had to pee in a bowl as I couldn’t get up. This went on for at least 18 months.

That’s the bad news.

My local quack took pity on me and out me on a cocktail of morphine sulphate, Amitriptyline and diazepam. It made me as high as a kite, but more importantly it got me mobile. The fact that I was mobile seemed to fix all of the issues and I run 5 days a week. Without jinxing it, I’ve never had the pain since 2013.

Get on those drugs.
[Post edited 23 May 2023 12:15]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 10:21 - May 23 with 1999 viewsGavTWTD

I thought I had sciatica but it seems I've got a femoral nerve root problem instead. Taken a long time to diagnose and very similar to sciatica. Should be on meds next week to sort it and I might be able to walk for more than 20 mins.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 10:46 - May 23 with 1912 viewsBellevueblue

If I feel like a flare up is coming I tend to hit these stretches https://www.g4physio.co.uk/blog/common-stretches-advice/piriformis-stretch-forwa

and it really seems to help
Sciatica Sufferers Union on 10:53 - May 23 with 1867 viewsRyorry

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 10:21 - May 23 by GavTWTD

I thought I had sciatica but it seems I've got a femoral nerve root problem instead. Taken a long time to diagnose and very similar to sciatica. Should be on meds next week to sort it and I might be able to walk for more than 20 mins.

Sounds awful, sympathies, hope it improves soon.

One thing I found when I started walking football and did my hamstring in with a big kick, was that it’s very difficult sometimes to tell the difference between a hamstring and a back injury where the only symptom of the latter is sciatica. Even a physio was unable to tell when I had another episode two years later, without having played footie.

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 10:53 - May 23 with 1859 viewsartsbossbeard

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 10:18 - May 23 by GlasgowBlue

I suffered terribly about ten years ago. An MMR showed it was caused by a bulge on one of my spinal disks. I was told that I would be able to run again .

At its worse, I couldn’t sit down for more than a couple of minutes and would get excruciating pain when getting out of the car. At one stage I was on the sofa and had to pee in a bowl as I couldn’t get up. This went on for at least 18 months.

That’s the bad news.

My local quack took pity on me and out me on a cocktail of morphine sulphate, Amitriptyline and diazepam. It made me as high as a kite, but more importantly it got me mobile. The fact that I was mobile seemed to fix all of the issues and I run 5 days a week. Without jinxing it, I’ve never had the pain since 2013.

Get on those drugs.

That's great and funnily enough I've got some in the cupboard from some cycling numbness. I'll get back on these.

Ta

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 10:54 - May 23 with 1842 viewsartsbossbeard

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 10:21 - May 23 by GavTWTD

Hope you improve shortly then!

My diagnosis was over the telephone with the doctor, hopefully he's got it right!!

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 10:55 - May 23 with 1833 viewsartsbossbeard

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 10:46 - May 23 by Bellevueblue

If I feel like a flare up is coming I tend to hit these stretches https://www.g4physio.co.uk/blog/common-stretches-advice/piriformis-stretch-forwa

bookmarked! Cheers.

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 11:01 - May 23 with 1801 viewsRyorry

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 10:46 - May 23 by Bellevueblue

Think it’s worth saying from a cautionary perspective, be very careful with any exercise that you’re not used to; and if your body says *stop*, then listen to it! I first did my back in through doing a yoga exercise.

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 11:05 - May 23 with 1793 viewsThisIsMyUsername

For most people sciatica will resolve on average after 6-8 weeks. It is important to rule out symptoms of Cauda Equina Syndrome (such as new bladder or bowel problems, or numbness around the genitals) which I am sure your physio will have asked you about. If it hasn't resolved after 6-8 weeks then injections into the nerve roots can be considered, which would usually be ordered through the physiotherapy service.

Sounds like you are doing the right things. It's really a case of avoiding the positions which aggravate it, and some gentle exercises to keep things moving, plus time. There is neuropathic pain relief available on prescription via your GP if needed.

Once it has resolved then keeping fit, active and flexible is the best way to minimise the chances of it coming back.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 11:32 - May 23 with 1706 viewsartsbossbeard

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 11:05 - May 23 by ThisIsMyUsername

For most people sciatica will resolve on average after 6-8 weeks. It is important to rule out symptoms of Cauda Equina Syndrome (such as new bladder or bowel problems, or numbness around the genitals) which I am sure your physio will have asked you about. If it hasn't resolved after 6-8 weeks then injections into the nerve roots can be considered, which would usually be ordered through the physiotherapy service.

Sounds like you are doing the right things. It's really a case of avoiding the positions which aggravate it, and some gentle exercises to keep things moving, plus time. There is neuropathic pain relief available on prescription via your GP if needed.

Once it has resolved then keeping fit, active and flexible is the best way to minimise the chances of it coming back.

I had the numbness thing last year - new v padded cycling seat and Amitriptyline resolved that.

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 11:48 - May 23 with 1673 viewsTractor_Buck

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 10:55 - May 23 by artsbossbeard

bookmarked! Cheers.

I've had it for years on and off. Wake up sometimes with the dreaded pins and needles all down my left leg. Running has strengthened the muscles in my back and increased the time in between flare ups, but I can vouch for the piriformis stretches. Try to do them a few times a week even if the symptoms improve and don't over exert. Just a gentle push and hold will be more than enough.
Sciatica Sufferers Union on 11:48 - May 23 with 1671 viewsblueasfook

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 10:18 - May 23 by GlasgowBlue

That’s the bad news.

Get on those drugs.

I have a problem with a large bulge too. But hey, that's another story

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 11:48 - May 23 with 1669 viewsBuhrer

Can your physio provide acupuncture? Worked wonders for me s few years back, alongside physio and exercises.
Sciatica Sufferers Union on 12:05 - May 23 with 1630 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Hate to tell you this. My first bout lasted three years.
More recently when I get a flare up it’s about 7-14 days, but the current bout is on 3 months now.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 12:16 - May 23 with 1592 viewsip6blue

Ibuprofen max dose and strengthening exercises at least 4 times a day. Squats, lift body with one leg on back laying down, cross trainer machine, leg press machine 👍
Sciatica Sufferers Union on 12:16 - May 23 with 1589 viewsGlasgowBlue

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 10:53 - May 23 by artsbossbeard

That's great and funnily enough I've got some in the cupboard from some cycling numbness. I'll get back on these.

Ta

I’ve edited the post as it was full of predictive text spelling mistakes. The third drug was diazepam.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 12:20 - May 23 with 1579 viewsSteve_M

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 09:38 - May 23 by artsbossbeard

Ta!

T'internet suggests 2-3 months (J2 got away lightly with 10 days then), so I'll keep up with the exercises/stretches. It's just difficult to envisage the end of it all, if that makes sense.

Good luck this afternoon - hope all goes well.

Fortunately the physio today will just be a bit of maintenance, loosen some muscles and improve the mobilisation of a couple of discs that are a bit tight. I came to the conclusion it's well worth paying every 6-8 weeks to - hopefully - avoid problems later.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Sciatica Sufferers Union on 12:23 - May 23 with 1577 viewsleitrimblue

Haven't had a full 2 month bout for a few years. Last time I managed to trigger it I had just spent an hour storming around one of those soft play places at a kids party. So was probably a weird kinda justice. I find yoga and a lot of stretches every day seem to help keep it it bay. Otherwise opiates all the way..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024